[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Running tips?  (Read 9350 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Running tips?
« on: May 13, 2016, 02:49:54 PM »
Need to get back into a shape that's not round. Went for a run today but realized how hopeless I was. For all you runners on scoop, what's the best way to get started and maintain/improve on distance and time?

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Running tips?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 04:09:47 PM »
Go grain free and save yo knees by walkin', ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 04:28:26 PM »
Need to get back into a shape that's not round. Went for a run today but realized how hopeless I was. For all you runners on scoop, what's the best way to get started and maintain/improve on distance and time?
Running is great if you enjoy the challenge, but I will say 100% the most dramatic improvement in fitness I've had was through weight training.

If you're in Milwaukee I have a very very strong recommend for a personal trainer. I'm talking 40 lbs dropped with no extreme diet sh1t, and no cardio (not a fan).

Anyway, DM me if you're interested in the referral
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

source?

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 04:40:18 PM »
If you're anywhere near a beach it is lower impact to run on sand and the fact that it gives way as you run actually makes it a better workout.

brandx

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 04:55:19 PM »
Running is great if you enjoy the challenge, but I will say 100% the most dramatic improvement in fitness I've had was through weight training.

Definitely the way to go. May be a little expensive.

If you join a Fitness Center, you will probably pay $500 - $750 extra per 3 months with a trainer. But it is the quickest, most effective way.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 05:20:58 PM »

Start small and work your way up. I have no idea your physical condition, but I'd start with relatively short distances (1 mile or so). It might sound silly, but I love the Zombies Run! app. You can even start out walking and just up your speed when the app indicates a mob is chasing you. Pretty good storyline as well.

I think running is good for conditioning and to build endurance, but as mentioned, it isn't necessarily the best weight loss method.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 05:52:47 PM »
I've been running regularly for 20 years off of 10 years as a "you'll pry this cigarette out of my dead cold hand" smoker.  The way I started was to mark a mile from my house, I did it every day until i didn't have to walk, then increased the distance in 1/2 mile increments.  For me, the key was not about pace, it was about making sure i kept moving (fast, slow, walk, occasional crawl). 

Also, have FUN with it and listen to your body - you'll be shocked at how quickly your endurance improves.

I dropped 20lbs pretty quickly - but it was 20 years ago.  Now i find that if i need to drop 10, as others have said, i throw in cross training too.  Not specifically weightlifting but burpees, pushups, jump rope, etc.......but runnings always at the core of my workout.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 06:05:08 PM »
Run through the pain. And ignore the elements. There is no such thing as too cold, it's raining, the dog ate my homework...

Also, do it first thing in the morning. That way you make sure it gets done.

And sign up for races. It gives you goals.

Death on call

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 07:51:24 PM »
I hate running (I mean really hate it), but I do it because it is a very efficient way to exercise in terms of time.  I have run four half-marathons in the last year and a half.

Not everyone is motivated by the same things, but here is what worked for me:

1.  Sign up for a race.  There are many times that the only reason I stuck to my training routine was that I didn't want to look like a pathetic loser on the course.  Plus I am a competitive person, and I am always looking to improve my time.

2.  Get a formal training program.  There are tons of apps that help you, no matter what shape you are in when you start.  I have heard the Couch to 5K app is pretty good if you are starting from zero.  I use Hal Higdon.

3.  Music helps me a lot.  If I didn't have it, the words "I hate this I hate this I hate this" would be running through my brain on a loop. Put together a playlist of songs that get you fired up, and listen to it when you run.  Being a Marquette fan, I have "Thunderstruck" and "Sandstorm" on mine (of course), plus songs like Beastie Boy's "Sabotage" and "Hocus Pocus" by Focus. But you have to find what works for you.  And use a lot of songs.  Even your favorite song gets annoying if it repeats often enough.

4.  Get properly fitted for shoes at a running shoe store.  Don't go to the Nike Outlet; go to a place like Dick Pond or East Bay or Fleet Feet, where they study your gait and measure your feet.

If you stick to the routine and make healthier food choices, you'll start seeing results.  I don't know if you have seen Chick jr. since graduation, but running helped her lose all the beer weight she accumulated in college.
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 08:02:10 PM »
+1 on chick's suggestion to get the right running shoes, and make sure they fit properly.  The true running-centric places usually have people who will ask a bunch of questions, get proper measurements, and not push you to get anything that isn't right for you.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 09:07:45 PM »
Run through the pain. And ignore the elements. There is no such thing as too cold, it's raining, the dog ate my homework...

Also, do it first thing in the morning. That way you make sure it gets done.

And sign up for races. It gives you goals.

Plus one on getting it done in the morning.  Create your own micro  climate in all weather is also another Keefe plus one.  There is no bad weather, just bad gear.

One original suggestion:  get a friend to train with.  Keep the ear buds at home and chat the run away with a pal. 
Ludum habemus.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2016, 09:25:07 PM »
Three words: Hash House Harriers.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2016, 11:04:04 PM »
Plus one on getting it done in the morning.  Create your own micro  climate in all weather is also another Keefe plus one.  There is no bad weather, just bad gear.

One original suggestion:  get a friend to train with.  Keep the ear buds at home and chat the run away with a pal.
i was a night runner pre kids but now i'm home before anyone wakes up - it's a cool side of your neighborhood not everyone sees when you're out your door at 5:45.

On the weather.....my personal boundaries are 0 air or -15 wind and ice.  Anyone can run when it's 60 and sunny.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2016, 11:22:41 PM »

If you're in Milwaukee I have a very very strong recommend for a personal trainer. I'm talking 40 lbs dropped with no extreme diet sh1t, and no cardio (not a fan).

Anyway, DM me if you're interested in the referral

Appreciate the offer but I am back in chicago now a days.

Chick last time I saw chick jr was when she had the messed up foot so no running for her during that time.

Thanks for the advice yall, I think I bit off a little more than I could chew today but now I know. Went for 1.5 miles didn't run all the way but tried. It's wword because I definitely weigh much more than I did when I was playing volleyball everyday but I'm still pretty athletic. I can still jump decently well and hit a volleyball down and get down the line pretty quick in softball. Just put on a few (generous) lbs that last year of school and don't have the endurance anymore.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2016, 11:41:44 PM »
Do Al's run.

Quaf 12 pack at Summerfest afterwards.

Hell of a day.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 09:46:53 AM by real chili 83 »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2016, 07:41:54 AM »
Appreciate the offer but I am back in chicago now a days.

Chick last time I saw chick jr was when she had the messed up foot so no running for her during that time.

Thanks for the advice yall, I think I bit off a little more than I could chew today but now I know. Went for 1.5 miles didn't run all the way but tried. It's wword because I definitely weigh much more than I did when I was playing volleyball everyday but I'm still pretty athletic. I can still jump decently well and hit a volleyball down and get down the line pretty quick in softball. Just put on a few (generous) lbs that last year of school and don't have the endurance anymore.

Yep, chick jr. had a walking boot for awhile.  She had a stress fracture in her ankle, but she is back running now.

Just keep at it, Chitown.  You're young, and you will be surprised how quickly you get back in shape.  And calories in is as important as calories burned.  I don't think you need to actually go on a diet, but even simple things like drinking water as a beverage instead of beer or soda can make a big difference.
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2016, 08:50:50 AM »
I have to echo those who say weight training will get you in better shape.  Try Crossfit or something like that.  Running to me is very boring and I don't like it. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2016, 10:01:33 AM »
I have to echo those who say weight training will get you in better shape.  Try Crossfit or something like that.  Running to me is very boring and I don't like it.

Crossfit is effective, but be careful. The trainers tend to push you as hard as possible in every workout and on every rep. It can be dangerous if your body isn't ready for it.

I like Crossfit, and it's a big part of why I am where I am in life today, but it can be overtaxing for those not ready for that level of workout and commitment.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2016, 10:32:24 AM »

IMHO is depends what you mean by "weight training" and "running."

If weight training means the same few exercises on the same few pieces of equipment day after day, it can be pretty boring too.  And if running means the same route every day or the treadmill, yes, it can get very boring.  The key with either is changing it up.  If you're running, try different routes - turn left where you might usually turn right - just to see where it takes you.

I think the better way to do it isn't by deciding "weight training" or "running" - it's doing an interesting mix of both, and adding some core strength exercises.  Sorta like Crossfit, but without the fees.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2016, 10:51:10 AM »

If you really want to get fit I can introduce you to some great guys who will take you under their wing and get you in the best shape of your life. Not only will you shed fat and add muscle but they will throw in the workout gear, three squares a day, a warm place to rest your head, and cut you beer money every 15 days.

Once you get in shape they will give you some incredible stuff to play with, let you climb mountains, skydive from 4 miles up, and put the hurt on bad people while blowing sh1t up. Side benefits include forging the best friendships you will ever make, women in yoga pants, and turning those little grapes into solid brass.

Death on call

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2016, 01:03:08 PM »
Do H.I.I.T. Training. It's tremendously more effective than endurance like biking and running it'll also burn fat faster than weights.

I suggest battle ropes, mountain climbers, sprints, medicine ball slams and burpies. It sucks but your workouts will be shorter and more effective. Keep one day of cardio a week as a break.

Trust me I can eat like crap, drink my body weight and doing workouts like this it keeps me in fighting shape.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2016, 01:12:27 PM »
If you really want to get fit I can introduce you to some great guys who will take you under their wing and get you in the best shape of your life. Not only will you shed fat and add muscle but they will throw in the workout gear, three squares a day, a warm place to rest your head, and cut you beer money every 15 days.

Once you get in shape they will give you some incredible stuff to play with, let you climb mountains, skydive from 4 miles up, and put the hurt on bad people while blowing sh1t up. Side benefits include forging the best friendships you will ever make, women in yoga pants, and turning those little grapes into solid brass.

Reminds me of the beginning of Private Benjamin.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2016, 05:34:22 PM »
Already a lot of improvement on day 2. I still don't have the music going because I dont have Spotify or anything but I don't know if it would help much anyways.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2016, 06:20:51 PM »
Already a lot of improvement on day 2. I still don't have the music going because I dont have Spotify or anything but I don't know if it would help much anyways.

I'll echo above.  Sign up for a race for motivation.  Also find a group like Hash House as Benny said.  Be very cautious with Crossfit, definitely helped the PT business.  Be very cautions with buying "special shoes." Most studies show they don't do anything to change gait mechanic (placebo effect?).  If you have access to a treadmill and someone to video you, I can look at it to see if there is anything that really stands to lead to a future injury. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2016, 10:06:09 PM »
I'll echo above.  Sign up for a race for motivation.  Also find a group like Hash House as Benny said.   

The Hash was started by expats living in KL as an excuse to drink beer. It morphed into a hook up thing over the years. I did the Hash in Hong Kong until my wife, who could kick my ass in a 10K, came along one time and saw what the majority of Hashers were about. She just gave me that look which communicated my Hashing days had come to an end. 

Death on call

feedback