[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Running tips?  (Read 9351 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: Running tips?
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2016, 06:47:26 PM »
Yeah I figured weather wouldn't be a concern (barring possible rain). The race link is below. Thanks!!

http://nashvillehalfmarathon.com/

Looks like it is uphill the first half and downhill the second half.  If I was going to do a hilly course, that is what I would prefer.
Have some patience, FFS.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2016, 08:42:53 PM »
Why run?

I just bang a lot.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2016, 09:44:32 PM »
Warrior chick

Goose III is graduating as well. Three down and one to go. I am sure we will end up going back to Vegas for the run one of these years. Congrats to you and Glow on the graduate!!!

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2016, 08:07:42 AM »
Yeah I figured weather wouldn't be a concern (barring possible rain). The race link is below. Thanks!!

http://nashvillehalfmarathon.com/

I did that many years ago.  November weather should be beautiful if it doesn't rain.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2016, 08:09:24 AM »
I am a lazy runner, so I hate running in Nashville.  Plus it's as humid as Hades down there in the summer.

Fortunately, I escaped the worst of the humidity.  I was there for law school, and had clerkships both summers - one in Milwaukee, and one in Pittsburgh.  So my experience was basically September through May.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #80 on: May 18, 2016, 08:14:23 AM »
Lots of DC mentions for favorite runs and (not totally related) it's the fittest city in the US

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/05/18/fittest-city-united-states-america-american-college-sports-medicine/84492256/

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #81 on: May 18, 2016, 09:48:26 AM »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #82 on: May 18, 2016, 09:57:09 AM »
Have some patience, FFS.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #83 on: May 18, 2016, 11:27:02 AM »
I used to run a lot and was a track guy in college.

In my 40s I now find running to be extremely painful.  I've basically quit running and now I keep my fitness level by cutting firewood by hand and by walking.  Avoiding elevators until the 4th floor and parking at the back of the lot does add up quickly.

When I ran road races there was always some jackwagon spectator on their front lawn with a beer playing Bob Segar's "Running Against the Wind."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #84 on: May 18, 2016, 01:14:05 PM »
I used to run a lot and was a track guy in college.

In my 40s I now find running to be extremely painful.  I've basically quit running and now I keep my fitness level by cutting firewood by hand and by walking.  Avoiding elevators until the 4th floor and parking at the back of the lot does add up quickly.

When I ran road races there was always some jackwagon spectator on their front lawn with a beer playing Bob Segar's "Running Against the Wind."

But how much of the running issue has to do with rucking around 80lbs of gear in sand and heat?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2016, 10:54:12 AM »
The Onion - 'Nuff said.  And the location, how appropriate for a Marquette board.

http://www.theonion.com/article/woman-had-no-idea-participating-5k-walk-could-be-s-52935

Woman Had No Idea Participating In 5K Walk Could Be So Unrewarding

NEWS IN BRIEF  May 16, 2016 
Vol 52 Issue 19     Health  ·  Fitness  ·  Lifestyle

KENOSHA, WI—After participating in the fundraising event for a local charity this past weekend, area woman Ashley Hyland reported to friends and family Monday that she had no idea competing in a 5K walk could be so unrewarding. “This was my first time doing a race like this, so I was completely unprepared for what an insignificant life experience it turned out to be,” said Hyland, adding that she was blindsided by the underwhelming emotions and utter lack of accomplishment she felt as she crossed the finish line of the 5,000-meter race. “It didn’t really hit me until I was out there doing it when I thought to myself, ‘Wow, this is not in any way giving me a sense of purpose or changing my perspective on life.’ I was really taken aback by how little it all meant. And the thing is, it wasn’t just unrewarding for me—it was unrewarding for so many other people given that I raised just a total of $35 for diabetes research.” Hyland added that the experience of completing a few slow laps around the public park with 2,000 or 3,000 other participants was something she would neglect to remember for the rest of her life.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #86 on: May 19, 2016, 01:22:35 PM »
But how much of the running issue has to do with rucking around 80lbs of gear in sand and heat?

Knees were shot by then due to running.  The 80-lb ruck is what did the back in.