collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: football is a pretty big deal in texas 'ey  (Read 5790 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
football is a pretty big deal in texas 'ey
« on: May 10, 2016, 04:31:25 PM »
cheezus man-the tax payers just ok'd $63 million for ANOTHER HIGH SCHOOL football stadium. this would be the 3rd one in texas in excess of $60 mil within the last 2 years!! am i missing something?  i just hope this ain't a trend cuz we've got some real dip sticks out there who can't even spell C-A-T if you spot 'em the "C" and the "T" 

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/05/10/texas-town-oks-63m-for-high-school-football-stadium.html?intcmp=hpbt4
don't...don't don't don't don't

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: football is a pretty big deal in texas 'ey
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 04:41:54 PM »
cheezus man-the tax payers just ok'd $63 million for ANOTHER HIGH SCHOOL football stadium. this would be the 3rd one in texas in excess of $60 mil within the last 2 years!! am i missing something?  i just hope this ain't a trend cuz we've got some real dip sticks out there who can't even spell C-A-T if you spot 'em the "C" and the "T" 

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/05/10/texas-town-oks-63m-for-high-school-football-stadium.html?intcmp=hpbt4
Maybe we can rent it for some lacrosse games in february.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 02:11:50 PM »
This is the dumbest thing I've read in a really long time.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 05:56:10 PM »
High school coaches get paid 6 digits down there.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 06:40:43 PM »
Residents voted to increase their own taxes to pay for it.  It doesn't negatively affect funding for anything else.  What's wrong with it?  Democracy, bitches!
Have some patience, FFS.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 07:48:54 PM »
Residents voted to increase their own taxes to pay for it.  It doesn't negatively affect funding for anything else.  What's wrong with it?  Democracy, bitches!

democracy it is.  however, you don't know if affects funding for anything else yet.  let's say next year the school community needs $50 million for another science lab, school buses and a new gym floor or something.  so they go to the people with another referendum and the people vote it down because they're all tapped out and sick and tired of rising property taxes.  ruh-roh EyN'a

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 10:16:33 PM »
democracy it is.  however, you don't know if affects funding for anything else yet.  let's say next year the school community needs $50 million for another science lab, school buses and a new gym floor or something.  so they go to the people with another referendum and the people vote it down because they're all tapped out and sick and tired of rising property taxes.  ruh-roh EyN'a

That is their decision to make.  And if the school district doesn't know less than a year ahead of time that they need $50 million in renovations, then shame on them.
Have some patience, FFS.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 09:44:50 AM »

Just because a majority of people wanted it doesn't make it any less dumb.

I never said it was unconstitutional, just said it was stupid. Because it is.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 09:46:34 AM »

Equally dumb.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 09:54:27 AM »

Bashing teachers pay.....

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2016, 09:58:12 AM »

Bashing teachers pay.....

If a Texas football coach is paid $80k as a teacher and $20k as a coach, that is a slightly different story.

If they are paid $100k just to coach I would have a problem with that if I was a Texas resident.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2016, 10:07:55 AM »
If a Texas football coach is paid $80k as a teacher and $20k as a coach, that is a slightly different story.

If they are paid $100k just to coach I would have a problem with that if I was a Texas resident.

If his successful football team increases the gate by $200-$300K, why should anyone have a problem with it?

It's no different that Bo Ryan making what he makes.

Have some patience, FFS.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2016, 10:08:12 AM »
That is their decision to make.  And if the school district doesn't know less than a year ahead of time that they need $50 million in renovations, then shame on them.

Their decision? Like in my district where we voted NO on 2 referendums to tear down the HS and build a new one to replace it only to lose the 3rd time it came up? The 3rd time's the charm.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2016, 10:18:25 AM »
If his successful football team increases the gate by $200-$300K, why should anyone have a problem with it?

It's no different that Bo Ryan making what he makes.

Because these are high schoolers and the objectives of the football team are completely different than a college program. Justifying that kind of salary means needing to win and put butts in seats, resulting in a winning at all costs mentality that is completely inappropriate for 14-17 year old boys.

This is how you end up with garbage like performance enhancing drugs, playing injured, multiple concussions, etc. Don't tell me that a high school coach wouldn't pressure athletes, whether explicitly or implicitly with a wink and a nod, to engage in risky behavior for the sake of winning so he can justify his salary. It has no place in high school sports.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 10:20:59 AM by Coleman »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2016, 10:42:44 AM »
Because these are high schoolers and the objectives of the football team are completely different than a college program. Justifying that kind of salary means needing to win and put butts in seats, resulting in a winning at all costs mentality that is completely inappropriate for 14-17 year old boys.

This is how you end up with garbage like performance enhancing drugs, playing injured, multiple concussions, etc. Don't tell me that a high school coach wouldn't pressure athletes, whether explicitly or implicitly with a wink and a nod, to engage in risky behavior for the sake of winning so he can justify his salary. It has no place in high school sports.

Competitive men coaching competitive kids with competitive parents may result in what you call "risky behavior". But a coach trying to "justify his salary"? Unlikely.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2016, 10:50:01 AM »
City of 140K, Median HH income of ~$64k, 4 high schools in the district.

It all comes down to if they can fill it every week. If 12K of it's residents are doing this every Friday night for 3 months, they might actually get their money worth since the citizens are actually getting a benefit.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2016, 12:47:06 PM »
City of 140K, Median HH income of ~$64k, 4 high schools in the district.

It all comes down to if they can fill it every week. If 12K of it's residents are doing this every Friday night for 3 months, they might actually get their money worth since the citizens are actually getting a benefit.

It will fill up.  Do you not know anything about Texas HS Football? A lot of schools have freakin' PSLs for their stadiums. 
Have some patience, FFS.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2016, 02:48:41 PM »

I agree with all your points except the people down their really want this. They love their    friday night lights and there is a whole sub culture of stuff that surrounds it like the cheerleading etc.

Not much different than the small towns in Indiana that have  huge fieldhouses
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/preps/basketball/2004-02-25-ten-great-hoops-newcastle_x.htm
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2016, 09:18:00 PM »
This is the least shocking news of the week. In my previous line of work, McKinney ISD, Katy ISD, and Allen ISD were three huge customers of our's, buying the top of line classroom projectors for their districts. Those three districts are competitive and have had a lot of capital to spend.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2016, 10:16:03 PM »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2016, 04:56:27 AM »
texas, one well oiled and run machine, brought to you by the republican party, with the dems trying to come over and turn it into detroit ?-(

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2016, 06:57:13 PM »
Here is your photo gallery of many others throughout Texas.

http://www.chron.com/news/article/Texas-schools-spare-no-expense-for-huge-football-7386583.php

I wont begin to defend anything...I actually pay taxes for these monsters.

However....By way of explanation....The stadiums are most often built and owned by the ISD...the independent school district. My ISD is CFISD which now has 10 high schools . Each HS, at its own location  has the normal aluminum bleacher open air field seating 2-8k with a football field and track around it....used for soccer, track, lacrosse, field hockey, etc., and the jv football games. These look and cost the same....and are Ubiquitous to most HS 's in the USA

BUT:...

CFISD...for $72 million built a multiuse facility with football, BB, theater, and conf center (check out all the venues, uses and busy use schedule, here):
http://www.berrycenter.net/about/venues

http://www.berrycenter.net/directions/parking#

As the Varsity Football games have very big crowds (10-20k), TV coverage etc....they are mostly lined up at the ISD's big facility(as  you see in the photos in the link above) . Often there is a Thursday game and doubleheaders on Friday and Saturday. Average use is 6-7 HS football games a week. A weekly gate of $1million at the big facility is not extraordinary. Stadium income repays the cost within 10-15 years...so the high construction is well supported by reasonable cost bond funding. Our taxes back ultimate repayment but the public bonds float and spread out the cost...in most cases the revenue will pay for the building cost. Believe it or not...because school buildings do not "pay for themselves" but these stadiums do self fund...the ISD bond elections for them usually  pass easily

Next to most of these monsters... is a BB field house so the same parking lot doubles use ....with 8-12 HS BB games per week and the Volleyball playoffs etc The entire ISD's group of HS's uses the facility...a lot. It may not justify the big cost...but its cheaper than upgrading all ten HSs in our district with fancier bigger and totally redundant fields. The One Big Neutral site is also safer for rivalry games and crowd issues .

I guess this defends the big ones, a bit, and we do voter approve the high cost....but I sure agree with all those here that they are very opulent in comparison to my HS days. lol

« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 08:56:26 PM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2016, 08:05:33 PM »
Here is your photo gallery of many others throughout Texas.

http://www.chron.com/news/article/Texas-schools-spare-no-expense-for-huge-football-7386583.php

I wont begin to defend anything...I actually pay taxes for these monsters.

However....By way of explanation....The stadiums are most often built and owned by the ISD...the independent school district. My ISD is CFISD which now has 10 high schools . Each HS, at its own location  has the normal aluminum bleacher open air field seating 2-8k with a football field and track around it....used for soccer, track, lacrosse, field hockey, etc., and the jv football games. These look and cost the same....and are Ubiquitous to most HS 's in the USA

BUT:...

CFISD...for $72 million built a multiuse facility with football, BB, theater, and conf center (check out all the venues, uses and busy use schedule, here):
http://www.berrycenter.net/about/venues

As the Varsity Football games have very big crowds (10-20k), TV coverage etc....they are mostly lined up at the ISD's big facility(as  you see in the photos in the link above) . Often there is a Thursday game and doubleheaders on Friday and Saturday. Average use is 6-7 HS football games a week. A weekly gate of $1million at the big facility is not extraordinary. Stadium income repays the cost within 10-15 years...so the high construction is well supported by reasonable cost bond funding. Our taxes back ultimate repayment but the public bonds float and spread out the cost...in most cases the revenue will pay for the building cost. Believe it or not...because school buildings do not "pay for themselves" but these stadiums do self fund...the ISD bond elections for them usually  pass easily

Next to most of these monsters... is a BB field house so the same parking lot doubles use ....with 8-12 HS BB games per week and the Volleyball playoffs etc The entire ISD's group of HS's uses the facility...a lot. It may not justify the big cost...but its cheaper than upgrading all ten HSs in our district with fancier bigger and totally redundant fields. The One Big Neutral site is also safer for rivalry games and crowd issues .

I guess this defends the big ones, a bit, and we do voter approve the high cost....but I sure agree with all those here that they are very opulent in comparison to my HS days. lol

thanks for the info-now that is what i call putting things into a little more perspective. i never would have known all this without being an inquiring mind and putting a wise arse post on scoop.  i can see how they have maximized the uses.  seems to be too efficient and well planned out for a public/gubmint school system

now, the 60 million $$ question:
  can the cowgirls and the cowboys rest in the same rooms ;D??