[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: UW Madison Whiffs of Greatness: Friedman & Knight  (Read 2213 times)

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
UW Madison Whiffs of Greatness: Friedman & Knight
« on: April 27, 2016, 10:48:15 AM »
For no good reason I found myself reading a bit about Milton Friedman, and came across the following on his wikipedia page:

In 1940, Friedman accepted a position at the University of Wisconsin–Madison, but left because of differences with faculty regarding United States involvement in World War II.

Friedman later joined the University of Chicago, and established them as a bastion of Economics. He and his mentees at UofC have earned (to-date) 8 nobel prizes in Economics, which alone are more than any other institution globally.

This reminded me a of the Bobby Knight situation, where he was hired, in principle, after his last season at Army.

Of course, Knight instead went to IU where he won 662 games, 24 tourney appearances, and three titles.

This might not be interesting to anyone else, but I find it amusing when an organization has two absolutely legendary talents fall into their laps, then somehow (the institution's culture) drives them off.

Can you imagine the insufferability of Badger fans if UW actually was elite (Friedman & Knight tradition)?

Are there other examples of this?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 10:50:20 AM by Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown »
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

GGGG

• All American
Re: UW Madison Whiffs of Greatness: Friedman & Knight
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 04:35:27 PM »
Bo Schembechler was the runner up for the Wisconsin football job in 1967.  They decided to hire John Coatta from within, even though Milt Bruhn's final years as UW coach saw them slipping.  Coatta promptly went 3-26-1 in his three seasons.  In 1969, Bo took over at Michigan.

Another one in the opposite direction, the Packers almost hired Iowa's football coach Forest Evashevski.  They decided to hire Vince Lombardi instead.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 05:29:16 PM »
Al Pacino was nearly cast as Han Solo.
And James Cameron explored casting OJ Simpson as the Terminator instead of Ahnold.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 09:42:37 PM »
The Packers almost drafted Tony Mandarich instead of Barry Sanders!

Oh, wait....

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 10:09:44 PM »
The Packers almost drafted Tony Mandarich instead of Barry Sanders!

Oh, wait....

If they had picked Sanders, they probably would have never wound up with Favre. Or Rodgers.
Have some patience, FFS.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 10:13:30 PM »
                    portland took sam bowie #2 ahead of MJ(#3) and after hakeem at #1

many better players taken in that draft turned out to be far better than bowie
don't...don't don't don't don't

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 11:30:45 PM »
Bo Schembechler was the runner up for the Wisconsin football job in 1967.  They decided to hire John Coatta from within, even though Milt Bruhn's final years as UW coach saw them slipping.  Coatta promptly went 3-26-1 in his three seasons.  In 1969, Bo took over at Michigan.

Another one in the opposite direction, the Packers almost hired Iowa's football coach Forest Evashevski.  They decided to hire Vince Lombardi instead.
Never heard that about Schembechler.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 06:27:34 AM »
DePaul inked Imari Sawyer over Dwyane Wade, which they have never recovered from this century.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 07:40:05 AM »
If they had picked Sanders, they probably would have never wound up with Favre. Or Rodgers.

Yep.  Blessing in disguise.

Even more intriguing.  Had they lost the last game of the season that year at Phoenix, the Packers would have had the #1 pick in the draft and would have taken Troy Aikman.   How different would the Packers have been with Aikman?  Does Harlan blow up the organization?  Does Ron Wolf ever come to Green Bay?  Would Aikman have been as successful?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 08:22:32 AM »

Yep.  Blessing in disguise.

Yep. Sometimes bad decisions change the trajectory of events that end up being better in the long run.

Was my decision to come to Marquette primarily because of my high school boyfriend a stupid one?  Of course it was.  But then, I would have never met Glow, had the two amazing kids I have now, and missed out on this wonderful life of mine.   :)
Have some patience, FFS.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 08:30:04 AM »
Yep. Sometimes bad decisions change the trajectory of events that end up being better in the long run.

Was my decision to come to Marquette primarily because of my high school boyfriend a stupid one?  Of course it was.  But then, I would have never met Glow, had the two amazing kids I have now, and missed out on this wonderful life of mine.   :)

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 08:39:51 AM »

Plus, you get to hang out with all of us a$$holes.....

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2016, 09:18:24 AM »
Plus, you get to hang out with all of us a$$holes.....

Yep, there's that......
Have some patience, FFS.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2016, 11:59:32 AM »
Al Pacino was nearly cast as Han Solo.
And James Cameron explored casting OJ Simpson as the Terminator instead of Ahnold.

The story, whether true or not, is that they didn't think Simpson could be believable as a killing machine.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2016, 10:13:17 PM »
The story, whether true or not, is that they didn't think Simpson could be believable as a killing machine.

So maybe the whole double-murder thing was just OJ's way of proving Cameron wrong.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2016, 10:25:28 PM »
So maybe the whole double-murder thing was just OJ's way of proving Cameron wrong.

Auditioning for the sequel

feedback