[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

Shaka interview by Zog from Margo
[Today at 02:08:01 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Report that Prince has died  (Read 18864 times)

Golden Avalanche

• All American
Re: Report that Prince has died
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2016, 09:36:05 PM »
The drugs angle from TMZ is intriguing since there are quite a few high profile stories of Prince making an effort not to have drugs in his system back in the 80s and 90s. Fellow artists and celebrities seemed to note that he took his high in the performance. Of course, that was two decades ago so maybe late in life the drugs filled a void. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2016, 10:16:23 PM »
I was born into a house on 45th and Drew, just off France Ave, then we moved to Fuller, off France, in Edina (about 57th) off Minnehaha creek. We moved to WI when I was in second grade.
I know the high school was Southwest for this Mpls area...dont remember the Jr high. I went to St Peters on France Ave.
Prince was a little younger, but I did play with Vic Powers son.lol

I am old enough to remember when Southdale first opened and when Zoilo Versailles took the Twins to the World Series

My question for you two is:
How far were these spots from your area was I? As a 6 year old I was never allowed far from home. lol

45th and Drew; it's a bit of a distance. Today, it's the difference b/w fairly well off and not so well off. Growing up in the late 70's and early 80's, I was in a duplex (top floor) we paid $200/month for.

I (post-MU) had a home very near Southdale... big time mix... go a few blocks, the worlds are different still.

But, all very close. No reason for us city folks to go to a 45th and Drew as a kid, but today I still go to a my vet (pets) near there, although I'm more than 10 miles away today.

Your Drew spot to my grade school:

Prince's Jr HS to my K-8:
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2016, 01:25:47 AM »
Only Southside came up with the lyrics...It ain't the meat, it's the motion.

Case closed

Well, Chili, I know you smaller guys try to find solace in those words...

Death on call

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2016, 03:05:02 AM »
45th and Drew; it's a bit of a distance. Today, it's the difference b/w fairly well off and not so well off. Growing up in the late 70's and early 80's, I was in a duplex (top floor) we paid $200/month for.

I (post-MU) had a home very near Southdale... big time mix... go a few blocks, the worlds are different still.

But, all very close. No reason for us city folks to go to a 45th and Drew as a kid, but today I still go to a my vet (pets) near there, although I'm more than 10 miles away today.

Your Drew spot to my grade school:

Prince's Jr HS to my K-8:

Thanks for the locale info.

BTW, Did you go to Twins games at the old Met? My very first in person sports memory (which I can still envision today) was a towering 500 ft Killebrew homer beating the Tigers 1-0. The Killer was my first sports hero. Good guy
My mom, now retired in Scotsdale AZ, grew up in Finlayson (as did my deceased dad), but she still thinks of Mpls as her hometown. We also enjoyed many nice times swimming and fishing on upper Pine Lake, near Finntown.
One of my favorite trivia stories involved Pizza. Every Friday my Dad would eat lunch at a place on University with his sales buddies, and order an extra pizza, which he'd bring home for our dinner. While enjoying our evening meal my dad explained that "Jim" at the pizza place was thinking about this crazy idea that his wife Rose had to freeze pizzas and sell them in supermarkets. Well, the Totinos pursued that crazy idea to some significant success. Small world.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 03:18:38 AM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2016, 07:07:15 AM »
Thanks for the locale info.

BTW, Did you go to Twins games at the old Met? My very first in person sports memory (which I can still envision today) was a towering 500 ft Killebrew homer beating the Tigers 1-0. The Killer was my first sports hero. Good guy
My mom, now retired in Scotsdale AZ, grew up in Finlayson (as did my deceased dad), but she still thinks of Mpls as her hometown. We also enjoyed many nice times swimming and fishing on upper Pine Lake, near Finntown.
One of my favorite trivia stories involved Pizza. Every Friday my Dad would eat lunch at a place on University with his sales buddies, and order an extra pizza, which he'd bring home for our dinner. While enjoying our evening meal my dad explained that "Jim" at the pizza place was thinking about this crazy idea that his wife Rose had to freeze pizzas and sell them in supermarkets. Well, the Totinos pursued that crazy idea to some significant success. Small world.

Great story on the pizza... forgot what a big roll Rose had in the frozen pizza movement...

I did go the Met, but was very young. Always remembered it as being enormous because I was a little kid.

Killer was a very nice man (met him well after he had retired..his career on the field was near its end when I arrived into the world). I believe he passed in Scottsdale.

Strange?.. but, the last time a famous death hit me as hard as Prince was Kirby's passing. I went down to the Dome that night after hearing the news. Ran into people I knew but had to sit alone because I was losing it and didn't want to be sitting there shedding tears over a ballplayer.

But.. Prince, Kirby.. both so important to the city and state.. and my childhood. RIP.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2016, 09:35:25 AM »
At Bryant off 38th? Not far from my K-8 on 38th & Pleasant. (Although I'm waaaaaaaaaaaay younger than thou.)

Peace to the #23 bus.

Yup.  I actually grew up at 57th and Russell - went to SW High. But the 70's was the early years of "bussing," which is what they called the early attempts at integrating the schools.  So instead of walking to Susan B. Anthony like my older sibs, I was packed off to The 'hood for seventh and eighth grades.  Good experience. Prince played the piano for the choir some time, as did I.  But he was so much better than me it was laughable.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2016, 11:26:12 AM »
Guy didn't hold a candle to Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes.

wait, what?! SSJ is dead??!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

apparently the purple one had a hip replacement and the pain killers came from the recovery period so he might have been clean all those years ago
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 11:28:26 AM by Waldo Jeffers »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2016, 12:57:22 PM »
Well, Chili, I know you smaller guys try to find solace in those words...

There are soooo many ways I could go with this.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2016, 01:02:48 PM »
Sad to see him go.  There weren't many live performs like him.  The man played every instrument under the sun and wasn't afraid to show it off.  He also wrote a whole bunch of songs that became hits for other people.  RIP.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2016, 01:03:36 PM »
There are soooo many ways I could go with this.

We should take this off-line. We don't want the hoi polloi eavesdropping on Schroeder 10 alumni secrets...

Death on call

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2016, 03:40:17 PM »
Hey, did you guys hear that Prince died?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2016, 04:51:30 PM »
Hey, did you guys hear that Prince died?

Charles, William or Henry?
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2016, 05:35:42 PM »
interesting story around prince's death.  gov scott walker tweeted his condolences and the liberal/lefties went ape poopies all over it.  the usual go to hell,  kick walker in the balls, hope he dies of aids and syphilis,  etc etc.

well the ironic thing is, prince was a social conservative.  a jehovah witness, anti-abortion, anti gay marriage, etc.  my point is, the lefties just assumed prince was one of them b/c he was an artist.  if they really knew his beliefs, they would probably be protesting outside his house
don't...don't don't don't don't

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2016, 06:04:58 PM »

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2016, 06:49:30 PM »
interesting story around prince's death.  gov scott walker tweeted his condolences and the liberal/lefties went ape poopies all over it.  the usual go to hell,  kick walker in the balls, hope he dies of aids and syphilis,  etc etc.

well the ironic thing is, prince was a social conservative.  a jehovah witness, anti-abortion, anti gay marriage, etc.  my point is, the lefties just assumed prince was one of them b/c he was an artist.  if they really knew his beliefs, they would probably be protesting outside his house

Wrong board. And wrong.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2016, 06:55:33 PM »
Wrong board. And wrong.

oops-sorry!  my apologies-forgot!
don't...don't don't don't don't

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2016, 06:59:20 PM »
There were thousands of people wearing purple around the MSFT campus today. It is amazing how many people were fans.

Death on call

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2016, 07:01:03 PM »
Maybe someone can nudge my memory on a Prince story. A few years ago I remember hearing a story that Prince was buried away at his home studio for years. There is treasure trove (like Eddie and the Cruisers Lost Tapes) of innovative highly stylized recorded songs, written by Prince....in the hundreds...that the public has never heard.

If this is true...I hope it is...maybe post mortem...we'll enjoy years of "new" Prince work never released during his life.

Was this just my fever dream, or does someone else remember hearing about the same?

With his passing this memory has been bugging me. Thanks for your help, in advance
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2016, 07:13:24 PM »
Yup.  I actually grew up at 57th and Russell - went to SW High. But the 70's was the early years of "bussing," which is what they called the early attempts at integrating the schools.  So instead of walking to Susan B. Anthony like my older sibs, I was packed off to The 'hood for seventh and eighth grades.  Good experience. Prince played the piano for the choir some time, as did I.  But he was so much better than me it was laughable.
I wrote JayBee on this, and it sounds like you were much closer to where I lived from birth to 8yrs old....Here is what I sent JayBee:

..."I was born into a house on 45th and Drew, just off France Ave, then we moved to Fuller, off France, in Edina (about 57th) off Minnehaha creek. We moved to WI when I was in second grade.
I know the high school was Southwest for this Mpls area...dont remember the Jr high. I went to St Peters on France Ave.
Prince was a little younger, but I did play with Vic Powers (twins 1st baseman) son.lol

I am old enough to remember when Southdale first opened and when Zoilo Versailles took the Twins to the World Series

My question for you two is:
How far were these spots from your area was I? As a 6 year old I was never allowed far from home. lol..."

With your post...you look to be a neighbor...although in differing time areas ( I left in '65) My Fuller house was basically 57th 4 blocks off of France Ave. SW was the HS for the area. Was Pershing a grade school or Jr high, too? I remember Pershing park beyond the creek. My grade school was St Peters...that modernistic church on france with the 7 spires, and worship in the round (some famous Finn architect, I think). We'd toy shop at Clancy's the Red owl supermarket was behind our house on Drew, and if I remember there was a movie theater along France, too.

Do any our memories align?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 07:17:45 PM by houwarrior »

brandx

« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2016, 07:18:12 PM »
Maybe someone can nudge my memory on a Prince story. A few years ago I remember hearing a story that Prince was buried away at his home studio for years. There is treasure trove (like Eddie and the Cruisers Lost Tapes) of innovative highly stylized recorded songs, written by Prince....in the hundreds...that the public has never heard.

If this is true...I hope it is...maybe post mortem...we'll enjoy years of "new" Prince work never released during his life.

Was this just my fever dream, or does someone else remember hearing about the same?

With his passing this memory has been bugging me. Thanks for your help, in advance

That's the problem with dying. You gotta work harder than when you were alive.

Lots of CDs to be put out.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2016, 07:35:05 PM »

http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/22/media/prince-vault/index.html?sr=fbCNN042216/prince-vault/0330PMStoryLink&linkId=23752231

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2016, 08:31:09 PM »
Great story on the pizza... forgot what a big roll Rose had in the frozen pizza movement...

I did go the Met, but was very young. Always remembered it as being enormous because I was a little kid.

Killer was a very nice man (met him well after he had retired..his career on the field was near its end when I arrived into the world). I believe he passed in Scottsdale.

Strange?.. but, the last time a famous death hit me as hard as Prince was Kirby's passing. I went down to the Dome that night after hearing the news. Ran into people I knew but had to sit alone because I was losing it and didn't want to be sitting there shedding tears over a ballplayer.

But.. Prince, Kirby.. both so important to the city and state.. and my childhood. RIP.
Both guys are Minny icons, so special, unique and gifted in each of their fields . Mpls can be real proud of both guys.
When my Dad was with the Mpls junior Jaycees (young business types) they wrote and recorded a pro Mpls 45rpm record...I still have somewhere, which included a catchy tune and the words:
"..Where do the Lakers run six foot four...
Where do the Gophers run up the score...
In Minneapolis Minn..."
Twin City pride, baby

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2016, 08:35:25 PM »
http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/22/media/prince-vault/index.html?sr=fbCNN042216/prince-vault/0330PMStoryLink&linkId=23752231
Thanks....looks like the vault actually exists...lets hope they get produced and released, and his heirs consent...Prince music deserves to live on
This linked article satisfies my nagging memory as this part stuck with and excited me when I first heard it ....namely that:..."
Prince's producers and friends have said some of his best music is sitting dormant in the vault...."
Wouldnt it be cool if his best work is yet to be heard?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 08:40:16 PM by houwarrior »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2016, 09:15:50 PM »
Thanks....looks like the vault actually exists...lets hope they get produced and released, and his heirs consent...Prince music deserves to live on
This linked article satisfies my nagging memory as this part stuck with and excited me when I first heard it ....namely that:..."
Prince's producers and friends have said some of his best music is sitting dormant in the vault...."
Wouldnt it be cool if his best work is yet to be heard?

They always joke about albums and artist's estates making millions after death.  With Prince we could, depending on execution of his estate and the vault, have new Prince albums coming out for MANY years.

As for the drug stuff, he'd been having troubles with his hips for awhile.  While I'd be surprised if this was a "classic rockstar" kind of OD and more some powerful prescription painkillers taking over as we've seen happen to many people, famous and not.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2016, 09:41:05 PM »

feedback