Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Reseating...  (Read 88984 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: Reseating...
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2016, 01:27:40 PM »
Who is "everyone?"  The BC and state get their cuts as a portion of ticket prices (sales).  I'm talking about a payment that is not part of the ticket price.

Once it is classified as a nondeduction donation it is considered revenue and the BC, state, and federal payments on that revenue come into play. So for MU to maintain the same income (donation + ticket price) they would have to charge more for the same ticket (nondeduction donation + ticket price)

Changing the classification to avoid the reseating also changes how much of the money goes to MU.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2016, 01:31:39 PM »
I'm sure anyone who wanted to contact Joe True could get more exact figures from him, but we talked at length on the phone and in person about the reseating process. Outside of going to the government and asking the regulations, I couldn't have got my information any more from the horse's mouth than I did. The bottom line is in order to keep prices down and donations up, Marquette has to conduct reseating the way they do. And as the B&G fund uses that money to fund all Marquette sports, not just basketball, taking the donation portion away while keeping the ticket price revenue neutral would kill Marquette Athletics.

Fair enough.  But when I spoke to Joe, he told me what I wrote above - that the yearly requirement would have no effect on the federal tax deduction, only state.  Someone above explained that the information I got from Joe was incorrect, so who knows.

And FWIW, I like Joe.  Met him out in DC at the Sweet Sixteen and have spoken a few times on the phone.  Just annoying to get mixed messages about the reason for this annual hassle.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2016, 01:32:05 PM »
Let's bottom line this, to avoid reseating every year the following things happen:
-Customer effectively pays more for tickets in the form of increased tax exposure
-If pricing to the customer were to stay they same, MU revenue goes down because the donation portion becomes taxable(state) and the BC takes a cut
-If MU wants to retain the same revenue they have to increase the ticket price significantly, which would likely drive customers away or into non-donation seats

Whether you like it or not, this is reality, so determine if the every year reseating is really an issue or not.

Lastly, its not like yearly reseating is something MU really wants to do (pain in the ass/costly) so they are doing it because they have very good reason to.

*edit....removed reference to fed taxes because I think Brew is right, they aren't impacted but state taxes are.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2016, 01:37:18 PM »
Fair enough.  But when I spoke to Joe, he told me what I wrote above - that the yearly requirement would have no effect on the federal tax deduction, only state.  Someone above explained that the information I got from Joe was incorrect, so who knows.

And FWIW, I like Joe.  Met him out in DC at the Sweet Sixteen and have spoken a few times on the phone.  Just annoying to get mixed messages about the reason for this annual hassle.

My guess is what he meant (and just a guess as I wasn't privy to the conversation) is that the federal government really doesn't care how we handle reseating, they will treat the donation the same way regardless. However, the state of Wisconsin has a vested interest (no idea why, it doesn't really seem to benefit them) in making sure schools handle reseating the way they want.

Quite possibly, Madison moved in this direction because it would only adversely affect schools outside their city. Madison was already compliant (though through a different system that also required annual reseating) and the only other state school that required a donation, Green Bay, was also on an annual plan. Maybe just the state's way of making Marquette play along.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2016, 01:40:41 PM »
Lastly, its not like yearly reseating is something MU really wants to do (pain in the ass/costly) so they are doing it because they have very good reason to.

This is absolutely correct. Marquette does NOT want to do annual reseating. It's a huge pain in the ass and a ton of work for the Athletic Department. In the past, we picked our exact seats and called it a day for two years. Now they need more staff on hand and need to work harder to try to meet the vague requests STHs make because they actually have to do the seat picking for us.

Don't blame Marquette. This is a bigger inconvenience and pain in the ass to Marquette and the Athletic Department than it is for us. We end up getting inconvenienced twice, when we put in our selection criteria and when we actually try to pick the area of our seats. Marquette, on the other hand, is inconvenienced every day all day long during reseating because they have to have a hand in every pick for the donation level seats.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2016, 01:56:20 PM »
This should be easy, switch the whole arena to open seating, and have everyone do it like the students.  Maybe folks with bigger point totals can get in earlier, but the lower bowl would always be packed with the most rabid fans, and re-seating never happens :)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2016, 02:44:33 PM »
This should be easy, switch the whole arena to open seating, and have everyone do it like the students.  Maybe folks with bigger point totals can get in earlier, but the lower bowl would always be packed with the most rabid fans, and re-seating never happens :)

That gave an idea for a new way to charge for tickets. Let's pretend there's an app for this.

As a STH I pay a base donation and ticket price that guarantees me into a game, but it is the same for every STH. Once I'm at the game I then get to purchase my seat location with seating sections having variable pricing. Perhaps pricing is lower 30 minutes prior to the game and then goes up some (peak arrival pricing so to speak). There could be a bid/availability escalation involved as well.

Not saying it should be done, but there seems to be some potential to change some of the revenue and pricing models so that they maximize revenue in an interesting way.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2016, 02:45:45 PM »
That gave an idea for a new way to charge for tickets. Let's pretend there's an app for this.

As a STH I pay a base donation and ticket price that guarantees me into a game, but it is the same for every STH. Once I'm at the game I then get to purchase my seat location with seating sections having variable pricing. Perhaps pricing is lower 30 minutes prior to the game and then goes up some (peak arrival pricing so to speak). There could be a bid/availability escalation involved as well.

Not saying it should be done, but there seems to be some potential to change some of the revenue and pricing models so that they maximize revenue in an interesting way.

Admit it.  You just want to see some sweatervests' heads explode.
Have some patience, FFS.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2016, 02:53:20 PM »

Let's get rid of the seats as well! Standing room only
Maigh Eo for Sam

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2016, 03:03:12 PM »
Admit it.  You just want to see some sweatervests' heads explode.

Let's just say that I don't not want to see sweatervest heads explode

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2016, 03:17:11 PM »

Rewarding STH who get there the earliest would all but guarantee the most elderly of MU alum would get the best seats.  Ever try to go out to dinner at 4:30pm?  The lower bowl would look like that.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2016, 03:23:57 PM »
Rewarding STH who get there the earliest would all but guarantee the most elderly of MU alum would get the best seats.  Ever try to go out to dinner at 4:30pm?  The lower bowl would look like that.

It already does, so perhaps this will work perfectly to eliminate re-seating :)

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2016, 04:32:20 PM »
I will let you in on a secret: I believe at least some of those point totals are on the high side.  Glow and I have never had trouble getting seats reasonably equivalent to what we had the prior year, and the estimated point totals for that section was always higher than that.

I think that may be done for two reasons:

1.To incentivize people to donate more before the deadline.

I believe this to be accurate.  And a little disappointing.  Being lied to and all.........
Ludum habemus.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2016, 04:58:36 PM »
I believe this to be accurate.  And a little disappointing.  Being lied to and all.........

Remember - we chose Golden Eagles.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2016, 07:11:40 AM »
This thread has provided yet another reinforcement of my decision to not renew my tickets.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2017, 12:48:29 PM »
I'm not entirely sure this is the right spot...

But I got the email for the coors corner today. Has anyone figure out how to get more than one ticket or are you really just trying to find someone else's old student ID # that isn't interested and but theirs also?

But I also feel I remember hearing St hard to get two seats side by side?

Anyone with info or knowledge?

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2017, 01:04:52 PM »
Can't you buy up to 4 seats? It's four seats per account.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2017, 01:13:03 PM »

Shut the front door. Dang man thanks

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2017, 01:17:14 PM »

The Coors Corner is limited to two per graduate, I believe.  Everyone else is limited to four.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2017, 01:20:55 PM »
Shut the front door. Dang man thanks
I'd love a free Coors Light at every game?  Why can't I be younger????

fjm

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2017, 02:36:09 PM »
Seems I can only select one seat.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2017, 10:02:47 AM »
Ok update.
So for those of us new to it, (or maybe just me?) you pay the $50 now to reserve your seat(s) that you plan to purchase. Then they email you later and you can get 2 tickets.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2017, 10:14:07 AM »
Ok update.
So for those of us new to it, (or maybe just me?) you pay the $50 now to reserve your seat(s) that you plan to purchase. Then they email you later and you can get 2 tickets.

This sounds like it is part of the normal reseating process. You pay a deposit upfront here (and donation to up your points) and then in June you get to pick via the lottery based on priority points. This is a nice entry-level program.

I see they are also allowing current students to buy their seats right now for next year too.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2017, 02:15:32 PM »
This sounds like it is part of the normal reseating process. You pay a deposit upfront here (and donation to up your points) and then in June you get to pick via the lottery based on priority points. This is a nice entry-level program.

I see they are also allowing current students to buy their seats right now for next year too.

Thanks I definitely appreciate the info as this is my first year being a STH.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2017, 04:53:15 PM »
How many season ticket holders does MU have?? 8,000??
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

feedback