[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Viper
[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Playstation Vue  (Read 41569 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Playstation Vue
« Reply #125 on: May 12, 2018, 11:29:06 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback. I've decided to give DTVNow a shot, as they have a special where I'd get a free AppleTV 4K if I prepay 3 months. Sounds like DTVNow isn't quite as good as PSVue right now, but I'm hopeful that the upgrades they're working on will have it up to par by hoops season. Not a huge issue yet, as I don't watch too much TV during the summer anyway. If it isn't ready by November, it'll be easy enough to switch....

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #126 on: May 13, 2018, 12:12:55 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback. I've decided to give DTVNow a shot, as they have a special where I'd get a free AppleTV 4K if I prepay 3 months. Sounds like DTVNow isn't quite as good as PSVue right now, but I'm hopeful that the upgrades they're working on will have it up to par by hoops season. Not a huge issue yet, as I don't watch too much TV during the summer anyway. If it isn't ready by November, it'll be easy enough to switch....

That is the best part. Not having any contracts is great.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #127 on: May 13, 2018, 08:41:42 AM »
That is the best part. Not having any contracts is great.

Indeed, great .. I suppose this gives them a competitive advantage .. once they reach a decent market share, I would expect them to start requiring contracts. 

Because of course.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #128 on: May 24, 2018, 09:52:48 PM »
Damnit .. so PS Vue is #1 in customer satisfaction .. but not doing well with revenue in an industry that's losing money ..   >:(

90% of their problem is their stupid name:  Playstation Vue. 

Hey, dummies, you know what a crapton of your potential customers think?  They think you need a PS4 to use it.   

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Sony-Says-the-Future-of-Playstation-Vue-is-Uncertain-141898

A new survey (pdf) by the American Consumer Satisfaction Index indicates that Sony's Playstation Vue streaming service is tied for first place in customer satisfaction (tying Netflix and Twitch). But this week Sony gave hints that the service may not be around forever. Speaking at the company's Investor Relations and Corporate Strategy meetings in Tokyo, Japan this week, the company stated that the service isn't going anywhere anytime soon, but that the "market and future business model (for PlayStation Vue) remains uncertain."

Click for full size
Numerous analysts have made note of the fact that the service, despite being popular with cord cutters (check out our 2016 review), has yet to pass 1 million subscribers despite three years on the market.
In contrast, services like Dish's Sling TV had 2.2 million subscribers as of February 2018. And AT&T's DirecTV Now streaming service hit the 1.4 million subscriber mark back in April.

There's also the fact that given the high costs of licensing content, streaming services simply aren't all that profitable. Estimates recently indicated that Google is losing $60 million a year at that service's $40 price point, just so Google can try and grab market share.

Still, Sony executives made it clear that they hope to continue doing battle with industry giants on the advertising front.

“The data mega players (such as Google, Amazon, and Facebook) are so powerful they are capable of doing all kinds of things," Sony’s CEO Kenichiro Yoshida said at the event. Yoshida stated Sony's overall survival depends on the "extent to which we can take control of data and AI."

Sony's full presentation can be found here (pdf) for those interested.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 09:55:12 PM by mu_hilltopper »

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #129 on: May 29, 2018, 12:02:30 PM »
90% of their problem is their stupid name:  Playstation Vue. 
Yep.  Anytime I mention it, they're like, "Oh, I don't have a Playstation." 
The other thing that gets people interested is the selective blocking of commercials.  I'm not sure what criteria is used when that happens.  But it sure is nice when it does.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #130 on: May 29, 2018, 01:31:07 PM »
Yep.  Anytime I mention it, they're like, "Oh, I don't have a Playstation." 
The other thing that gets people interested is the selective blocking of commercials.  I'm not sure what criteria is used when that happens.  But it sure is nice when it does.

That has to do what advertiser paid for. If the advertiser in question did not pay for streaming they will get blocked. No one gets a free ride. What is nice though, as an advertiser, is that we can now target individual people instead of targeting shows.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #131 on: May 31, 2018, 04:45:43 PM »
I currently have both PS Vue and DTV Now on Fire TV 4k (2 tv's). I have had PSVue for over a year now and really like it. The DVR works well and the "Live" tv search works well too. The guide is pretty bad but you don't use it often. I have DTV Now as AT&T unlimited customers get a $25 credit each month (or did) so I signed up right away as I thought they more lower it. It is a little less reliable in that the streams buffer a touch more than PSVue but it's not too bad. PSVue is also about 1 min. delayed from broadcast tv. So if you're watching sports stay off twitter. This also helps them have better stream quality as it buffers better. DTV Now is usually only about 15 seconds behind live OTA.

Once DTV Now DVR comes out to the masses I'll switch exclusively to it. I guess the DVR rebuild has also included a full overhaul of how they deliver streams and their quality too. It's essentially a full rebuild.

For my internet I have AT&T Fiber 100. It more than powers my house. I also use a VPN once in a while so I can use Terrarium TV without big brother watching.

Do you have any recommendations on which one to use?
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #132 on: July 03, 2018, 08:13:27 AM »
Damnit .. PSVue raising their rates again.

What started at $360 a year is now $540.   And of course this isn't the end.   Eventually, it'll all be just as high as cable was.

Flibberdygibbets.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #133 on: July 08, 2018, 12:04:31 AM »

What started at $360 a year is now $540.   And of course this isn't the end.   Eventually, it'll all be just as high as cable was.

Flibberdygibbets.

Still havent readded viacom channels, looks like I'm bouncing out now. I was just tolerating their last increase, but now its really not worth it.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #134 on: July 08, 2018, 05:20:35 AM »

Flibberdygibbets.

i'm paying $100/month just to keep my direct tv on hold down in arizona.  otherwise its $260/month.  when i go back down to re-open the place this fall, all i will need is internet-i will gladly pay the $50/month on an as needed basis for vue, youtube, or whatever is reliable.  i don't need dvr capability etc etc,  just the golf channel, fox sports 1 for MU games and the local abc, cbs, nbc for football plus everyone's favorite here-foxnews ;)

yes, when i first heardabout psvue, i thought, damn, i got rid of the kids playstation years ago
don't...don't don't don't don't

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #135 on: September 06, 2018, 05:34:49 PM »
Has anyone experienced moving challenges with PSVue?

I recently moved to WI and I keep getting this error telling me that I need to contact support beccause I moved.  When I called support the guy basically told me there was nothing they could do to help me but that they also couldnt refund me.  So basically, paying for TV but not getting it.  He kept telling me that they had a team of people working on it for the past month and couldnt provide a timeline as to when the issue would be resolved. 

Only thing I could think of was to cancel service and restart it, but if I am not going to get my money back from the rest of this month when I cancel, I don't really feel like sticking with them.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #136 on: September 06, 2018, 07:08:26 PM »

I recently moved to WI and I keep getting this error telling me that I need to contact support beccause I moved.  When I called support the guy basically told me there was nothing they could do to help me but that they also couldnt refund me.  So basically, paying for TV but not getting it.  He kept telling me that they had a team of people working on it for the past month and couldnt provide a timeline as to when the issue would be resolved. 

Only thing I could think of was to cancel service and restart it, but if I am not going to get my money back from the rest of this month when I cancel, I don't really feel like sticking with them.

good thing they didn't tell you that your playstation is out of date, eyn'a?

on another note, my most recent research seems to indicate that hulu live might be the way to go.  first thing i'm doing when i get to my place in surprise is firing cox cable and changing to centurylink getting the same or better strength for $30/mo. less.  i will be reducing my tv & internet from $260/mo to about $125/mo-WINNING!
don't...don't don't don't don't

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #137 on: September 07, 2018, 08:24:29 AM »

Moved yesterday and didn't need to do anything vue just worked.

Prior moves I had to change zip codes in the Playstation but was always prompted so not sure what's going on there. Contact support again there's no reason they can't give a refund. That guy was probably stupid or a dick so just try again with another person.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #138 on: October 29, 2019, 03:55:48 PM »
Dangit .. just got an email from PS Vue  .. it's being shut down, January 30, 2020.

Well, it was good while it lasted.  What's next..

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #139 on: October 29, 2019, 04:19:37 PM »
Dangit .. just got an email from PS Vue  .. it's being shut down, January 30, 2020.

YouTube TV and Hulu live are both superior in my opinion.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #140 on: October 29, 2019, 04:22:22 PM »
Been pretty happy with hulu since we ditched sling over the fox sports conflict.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #141 on: October 29, 2019, 05:54:01 PM »

Told you last year...
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #142 on: October 29, 2019, 08:47:34 PM »
Told you last year...

Yeah, I was hoping against hope.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #143 on: October 29, 2019, 09:08:52 PM »
Told you last year...
Did you post it, or was it Warrior Dad?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #144 on: October 29, 2019, 09:12:35 PM »
Did you post it, or was it Warrior Dad?

I posted it under Billy Hoyle and Pakuni
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #145 on: October 30, 2019, 11:53:26 AM »
Does Hulu have Fox Sports?
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #146 on: October 30, 2019, 12:07:53 PM »

Use www.suppose.tv/tv/ to find your optimal cutting options.

I thankfully still have my grandfathered in DirecTV Now account with it's big discount. Nothing has had the channel packages that it offered to lure me away. Not that I like sticking with it but no one else has all the channels.

In the end it wasn't the content costs that I hated with traditional providers it was all the fee's (box rental, dvr, remote, blah, blah) which drove me away.
But I like to throw handfuls...

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #147 on: October 30, 2019, 12:29:04 PM »

FS1, 2 and Wisconsin.

Tortuga94

• Walk-On
« Reply #148 on: October 30, 2019, 02:37:30 PM »
I'm a bit of a sports junkie, especially futbol. I do Fubo TV as my streaming app.
The only negative so far is that it doesn't include ABC/ESPN so I'm not able to watch MNF, which I really only care about when the Packers play.

feedback