Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: F*** You Nova Chant  (Read 9941 times)

Boards

• Walk-On
F*** You Nova Chant
« on: February 29, 2016, 09:21:03 AM »
Can't stand this.

Now I curse with the best of them and am not opposed to swearing BUT you have to pick your spots. I'm not letting the f bomb fly talking to my grandmother or during a first introduction at a job interview or networking event. Hearing the F You Nova chant at Saturday's game made me cringe for two reasons.

1) Makes us look bad - where's the class?

2) We were LOSING! Both chants happened when we cut the lead to 5 - I was in the stands super pumped, then the chant started and almost immediately Nova cashed a 3 or killed the momentum with a basket. Karma.

I probably sound like a crotchety old man but I'm actually a 2012 graduate and can't remember any chants like this during my four years at MU - if there were I certainly didn't participate because we should hold ourselves to a higher standard. Boo, complain about the refs, distract the opposition at the free throw line, get under the heads of our opponents, protect our home court but F You Nova? Came out of nowhere and I thought it was completely unwarranted.

MUfan12

• All American
Re: F*** You Nova Chant
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 09:26:36 AM »
I probably sound like a crotchety old man but I'm actually a 2012 graduate and can't remember any chants like this during my four years at MU - if there were I certainly didn't participate because we should hold ourselves to a higher standard.

There have been quite a few "F the Badgers" or "F the Irish" chants over the years.

But I agree with your post. It was dumb, and came from the upper reaches of the student section, which is typically where the drunkest ones sit. I don't consider Nova a rival. Fun to play against, but no animosity there.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 09:28:59 AM »
Couldn't agree more.  Annoys my Senior son to no end.  Classless.  Grow up kids.  Think of something witty.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 09:31:39 AM »
I'm class of 2013 so I know that while me and you were there we had the "you suck" chant that was so awful that Larry Williams sent out an email banning it (lol) we also have had f- the irish and f- the badgers.

I agree an F- you Nova chant when were down is stupid just like an overrated chant when were up but lets not act like things were super classy when we were there. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 09:31:58 AM »
Better to keep your mouth shut and have others assume you're an ignoramus than to open it and remove all doubt.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 09:38:01 AM »
No place for chants like that. It is classless. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 09:42:41 AM »
Really, really bad.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 09:46:58 AM »
Eh, don't like it, thought it was silly....but at least the students showed up and showed life so I can live with it.

I'd recommend they find ways to be more creative
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 09:54:23 AM »
I am an old guy and if you want to insult them, beat the daylights out of them on the court.

There are certain things that break the barriers of decent behavior .. and that's it.

C'mon students, you can do better than that. With the cost of your Marquette educations, at least you should be able to do better than that.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 10:38:56 AM »
Wasnt a fan either. Lacks creativity.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 10:50:49 AM »
If it was in the upper deck of students, you won't here it again until UW next December.  The upperdeck is where our 1x year student fans sit.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 10:58:41 AM »

Where is Larry to shake his finger at them?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 11:04:29 AM »
I didn't hear it at all, but I sit opposite the student section.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 01:03:44 PM »
F the Badgers is always appropriate. 

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2016, 03:52:52 PM »
I'm opposite the students in 102 and heard it crystal clear.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2016, 04:20:57 PM »
i'm glad it didn't come through the TV broadcast.  Not a good reflection on the University (my view may not have been the same prior to having kids)

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2016, 04:57:48 PM »
In Trumps America we can use the F word how and whenever we feel like it! Lets arm our students and build a 300 foot wall between Milwaukee and Madison.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 04:59:36 PM by BobWildLoyalist »

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2016, 05:20:05 PM »
i'm glad it didn't come through the TV broadcast.  Not a good reflection on the University (my view may not have been the same prior to having kids)

I heard it on the TV broadcast during the first half.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2016, 05:26:25 PM »
In Trumps America we can use the F word how and whenever we feel like it! Lets arm our students and build a 300 foot wall between Milwaukee and Madison.

Equally as bad

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2016, 05:54:30 PM »

I definitely heard it.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2016, 07:22:28 PM »
"Vuck the Vadgers" is acceptable, however.

Da 'Lanche

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2016, 07:38:05 PM »
eh….I remember my freshman or sophomore year (I attended from 1984-88) there was a fairly large number of unauthorized "F#ck N.D." hats on campus.   They were nice….navy blade with gold letters.   I purchased one on the street and wore it to the game….besides being accosted by an angry N.D. Sweater vest in the hallway of the MECCA, David Rivers hit a near half court shot to break our hearts and we ended up losing all 8 games of my MU career against ND  (at that time our most heated rival by far and we played them home and away every year).   

So…perhaps karma is a b#tch….or a leprechaun…same thing.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2016, 07:54:07 PM »
eh….I remember my freshman or sophomore year (I attended from 1984-88) there was a fairly large number of unauthorized "F#ck N.D." hats on campus.   They were nice….navy blade with gold letters.   I purchased one on the street and wore it to the game….besides being accosted by an angry N.D. Sweater vest in the hallway of the MECCA, David Rivers hit a near half court shot to break our hearts and we ended up losing all 8 games of my MU career against ND  (at that time our most heated rival by far and we played them home and away every year).   

So…perhaps karma is a b#tch….or a leprechaun…same thing.
http://www.golfdigest.com/story/shane-lowry-isnt-sorry-he-cursed-on-national-tv
For a while, I thought the "...I'm an a$$hole....was the MU theme song.    BTW.   This guy isn't apologizing for dropping a public F-bomb.     
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2016, 08:18:38 AM »
Lame.  The only acceptable F-bomb chant is when the commies are in town.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2016, 09:48:50 AM »
I thought they were saying "Supernova" myself.  Couldn't figure it out.  But I also had a five-year old sobbing on my shoulder.

While I think the f-bomb is very distasteful for anyone, national TV or not, how the heck can you blame Millennials for a severe lack of creativity and tact when their parents aren't allowed to sit with them in the student section.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

feedback