Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: F*** You Nova Chant  (Read 9944 times)

Archies Bat

• All American
Re: F*** You Nova Chant
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2016, 10:18:46 AM »
While I think the f-bomb is very distasteful for anyone, national TV or not, how the heck can you blame Millennials for a severe lack of creativity and tact when their parents aren't allowed to sit with them in the student section.

Please give them some credit.  They don't need their parents sitting next to them for the game.  Waiting in line to get them the best seats possible is enough.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2016, 10:33:37 AM »
I was at the game and didn't hear it at all, to be honest.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2016, 10:38:12 AM »
I thought they were saying "Supernova" myself.  Couldn't figure it out.  But I also had a five-year old sobbing on my shoulder.

While I think the f-bomb is very distasteful for anyone, national TV or not, how the heck can you blame Millennials for a severe lack of creativity and tact when their parents aren't allowed to sit with them in the student section.

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2016, 10:54:07 AM »
i'm glad it didn't come through the TV broadcast.  Not a good reflection on the University (my view may not have been the same prior to having kids)

It was audible on TV, barely. I did a double take, not just for the lack of class and creativity, but because the opponent was Villanova. Their program always has oozed class, and Jay Wright personifies it. After last year's game, Jay basically called our fans the nicest, classiest in the BigEast. He didn't mean to say that we aren't fiery or passionate, either. He just referenced how before and after the game our fans were cordial and how many wished him well the remainder of the season. So, was this in the drunk students' collective subconscious, "Hey, let's make up for last year!!" ???  We can do better. Overall, loved the students' noise level and that they figured out Woody Allen's "half of life is just showing up" saying.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2016, 11:14:44 AM »
I was at the game and didn't hear it at all, to be honest.
Didn't hear it either and I was in the Coors Light suite with the class of '83, right by the students. Wondefr if Chili heard it?
Goal is National Championship

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2016, 12:41:03 PM »
Was at the game.  Heard it.  Forget about the profanity being offensive - I was appalled by the absolute lack of imagination and creativity.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2016, 02:34:23 PM »
It was audible on TV, barely. I did a double take, not just for the lack of class and creativity, but because the opponent was Villanova. Their program always has oozed class, and Jay Wright personifies it. After last year's game, Jay basically called our fans the nicest, classiest in the BigEast. He didn't mean to say that we aren't fiery or passionate, either. He just referenced how before and after the game our fans were cordial and how many wished him well the remainder of the season. So, was this in the drunk students' collective subconscious, "Hey, let's make up for last year!!" ???  We can do better. Overall, loved the students' noise level and that they figured out Woody Allen's "half of life is just showing up" saying.

Same here.  This was a chant that completely caught me off guard.  Nova???  If this was against ND or Bucky, I probably would have just shrugged my shoulders and moved on, but I can't believe this chant was done at Nova.

Was at the game.  Heard it.  Forget about the profanity being offensive - I was appalled by the absolute lack of imagination and creativity.

Exactly, I hate the lack of creativity behind chants like these.  I can get behind chants that involve swearing if there is a little bit of cleverness behind it.  But F*** You [Insert Team Name] is just stupid.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2016, 02:38:31 PM »
Nova is from Philly.    They are used to worse. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2016, 02:45:41 PM »
Was at the game in the upper reaches.  Can't say I heard it, but on at least one occasion we were trying to figure out what the students were saying, so that was probably it.  Agree that it doesn't belong in general, and certainly not against Villanova, I'm hoping they do well in the tourney as it helps the conference (and our bottom line).  I hated the y**s*** chant and emailed the AD about it when I got fed up enough, so was glad it ultimately got banned.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2016, 02:58:42 PM »
Was at the game in the upper reaches.  Can't say I heard it, but on at least one occasion we were trying to figure out what the students were saying, so that was probably it.  Agree that it doesn't belong in general, and certainly not against Villanova, I'm hoping they do well in the tourney as it helps the conference (and our bottom line).  I hated the y**s*** chant and emailed the AD about it when I got fed up enough, so was glad it ultimately got banned.

Wow...people like you actually exist? F U nova is pretty unnecessary but the you suck chant (which why did you censor it) is so harmless. It's pretty comical that you would ho out of your way to email Larry Williams to protect your virgin ears.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2016, 03:06:40 PM »

One thing y** have to remember is that today's students don't know what it's like to have a basketball rivalry with ND or Louisville, which s***s.
I agree with y** that V****nova doesn't seem like a natural rival for Marq*****, at least not yet.

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2016, 03:20:08 PM »
One thing y** have to remember is that today's students don't know what it's like to have a basketball rivalry with ND or Louisville, which s***s.
I agree with y** that V****nova doesn't seem like a natural rival for Marq*****, at least not yet.

Well done.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2016, 03:53:24 PM »
Now for sure Tyler, Joey, and Markus will pick utter schools, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2016, 07:51:41 AM »
I see right through your asterisks sir and quite frankly I'm appalled
No Finish Line

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2016, 08:01:20 AM »
Perhaps the tide has turned on this. At the game last night Iheard a few students try to start a  "F*ck the Hoyas " chant and it died pretty quickly.
Have some patience, FFS.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2016, 08:07:13 AM »
Wow...people like you actually exist? F U nova is pretty unnecessary but the you suck chant (which why did you censor it) is so harmless. It's pretty comical that you would ho out of your way to email Larry Williams to protect your virgin ears.

I agree Larry Williams got overinvolved, made a mountain out of a molehill, and there was no need for it to be censored. But I wasn't sad to see that go. I don't think it was very clever and it sounded really dumb if we were losing. If we were winning at that point than by all means play it. But I always thought it sounded like it was directed at our own players whenever we were losing.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2016, 10:26:16 AM »
I agree Larry Williams got overinvolved, made a mountain out of a molehill, and there was no need for it to be censored. But I wasn't sad to see that go. I don't think it was very clever and it sounded really dumb if we were losing. If we were winning at that point than by all means play it. But I always thought it sounded like it was directed at our own players whenever we were losing.

The two years they played when I was there before LW stopped it though we lost a whopping 1 game at home.

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2016, 10:41:53 AM »
I mean it's been happening forever, we were chanting F*** Wake Forest in 2003 for no reason other than that they were playing us that day. It is not classy but it's nothing new.

The biggest issue we have is that the students treat coming to games now like church on Easter Sunday. Once a year.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2016, 10:50:40 AM »
I mean it's been happening forever, we were chanting F*** Wake Forest in 2003 for no reason other than that they were playing us that day. It is not classy but it's nothing new.

The biggest issue we have is that the students treat coming to games now like church on Easter Sunday. Once a year.

Something happened with Wake Forest though. I remember that chant being warranted. Josh Howard do something stupid?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2016, 11:03:07 AM »
Perhaps the tide has turned on this. At the game last night Iheard a few students try to start a  "F*ck the Hoyas " chant and it died pretty quickly.

There were only a few students there. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2016, 11:07:03 AM »
There were only a few students there.

Exactly.  It's hard for any chant, (using naughty words or not), to gain traction when there are 45 students in attendance.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2016, 11:11:50 AM »

I hated it too.  From the band, I got fed up with playing the Hey Song because I knew what was coming from the students.  I remember talking to other bandos about what the students would do if we just didn't play it anymore.  Looks like it worked.

And I have no problem with LW pulling the plug.  He had the school's reputation to look after, and let's not forget that he gave the students a chance to change.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2016, 11:12:11 AM »
Exactly.  It's hard for any chant, (using naughty words or not), to gain traction when there are 45 students in attendance.

How about with a couple of thousand?  Because that is how many were there, not 45.
Have some patience, FFS.

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2016, 11:21:16 AM »
Something happened with Wake Forest though. I remember that chant being warranted. Josh Howard do something stupid?
They were ranked highly with us. Other than that I don't remember anything.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2016, 11:22:32 AM »
How about with a couple of thousand?  Because that is how many were there, not 45.

Vs. Georgetown?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.