[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Shaka interview by Jay Bee
[April 30, 2024, 09:36:41 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[April 30, 2024, 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 30, 2024, 02:09:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: #7 seed Bracketology (2/25)  (Read 10874 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: #7 seed Bracketology (2/25)
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2016, 11:58:20 AM »
What are we building towards for next year if Ellenson leaves?

When Ellenson leaves.    Depends on who Wojo lands with the open scholarships.   A graduate transfer 4 combined with a freshman 4, combined with everything coming back (assuming everyone comes back, never a safe assumption these days) and I would confidently predict a tournament berth.    If JJ and Cheatham continue to improve, and Duane makes the next step, with all of those other things, a second weekend berth. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2016, 12:28:21 PM »
I don't understand the lack of respect for the Big East this year.

We as a league have the 2nd best record, 31-19 against other power conferences.  The only league beating that is the Big 12.

In the big 12, our record would be an NCAA guarantee, but we are stuck hoping on the NIT.
The Big East is highly respected this year. We have had two teams in the top 5.

Marquette's situation is a self inflicted wound and by a very poorly designed non conference schedule. While it is important to schedule Cream Puffs, our staff did a lousy job getting the proper cream puffs.

Our team has actually performed well enough as you rightly point out.

For the life of me I do not understand why we are not scheduling bottom tier Horizon League, Missouri Valley and MAC teams so what if it costs a few more bucks. We are already spending more than most schools.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2016, 12:39:07 PM »

Marquette's situation is a self inflicted wound and by a very poorly designed non conference schedule. While it is important to schedule Cream Puffs, our staff did a lousy job getting the proper cream puffs.

For the life of me I do not understand why we are not scheduling bottom tier Horizon League, Missouri Valley and MAC teams so what if it costs a few more bucks. We are already spending more than most schools.

Hoping that changes starting next year.  Zero reason to ever schedule a SWAC team. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2016, 12:40:52 PM »

We weren't the only big east school getting punished for poor non con scheduling. Georgetown and Creighton are much better than their rpis suggest. Creighton, like us, scheduled too softly. Georgetown bit off more than they can chew. Seton Hall also had a soft non conference but has made up for it in conference play. All that poor non conference scheduling drags down the whole conference, which is why butler and hall are just becoming locks for the tournament.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2016, 12:41:46 PM »
Hoping that changes starting next year.  Zero reason to ever schedule a SWAC team.

Well, certainly not too many.  We've had a long relationship with the SWAC.  But 1 a year would be fine.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2016, 12:44:19 PM »

Every team has a few dogs on the schedule. We just had seven of them
TAMU

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2016, 12:46:56 PM »
Every team has a few dogs on the schedule. We just had seven of them

I will repeat. Never a reason to schedule a SWAC team. 

I understand that you're going to have some crapty buy games, and I realize we had too many of them. Pretty common knowledge around here at this juncture.   

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2016, 12:49:53 PM »

I understand that you're going to have some crapty buy games, and I realize we had too many of them. Pretty common knowledge around here at this juncture.

I don't necessarily agree with never schedule a SWAC team. If that SWAC team is Jackson State, Texas Southern, or Southern I'm okay with it. The others we should always avoid.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2016, 12:52:54 PM »
I don't necessarily agree with never schedule a SWAC team. If that SWAC team is Jackson State, Texas Southern, or Southern I'm okay with it. The others we should always avoid.

I dont care to look, but grouping Jackson state in there with Texas Southern and Southern is aggressive.  I know they're actually one of our better buy games this year, but guessing they've traditionally been in the bottom 50. 

I am being a bit flippant, but the point is, MU needs to focus on scheduling lower tier teams from actual mid majors for their buy games rather than bad teams from low majors.  Time to use the RPI to your advantage, not visa versa.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2016, 01:01:59 PM »
I dont care to look, but grouping Jackson state in there with Texas Southern and Southern is aggressive.  I know they're actually one of our better buy games this year, but guessing they've traditionally been in the bottom 50. 

I am being a bit flippant, but the point is, MU needs to focus on scheduling lower tier teams from actual mid majors for their buy games rather than bad teams from low majors.  Time to use the RPI to your advantage, not visa versa.

You're right. Prior to this year their best RPI over the last 3 years was 297. So I revise my statement to exclude them.

brandx

« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2016, 01:07:29 PM »

Well enough for what?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2016, 01:12:02 PM »
We weren't the only big east school getting punished for poor non con scheduling. Georgetown and Creighton are much better than their rpis suggest. Creighton, like us, scheduled too softly. Georgetown bit off more than they can chew. Seton Hall also had a soft non conference but has made up for it in conference play. All that poor non conference scheduling drags down the whole conference, which is why butler and hall are just becoming locks for the tournament.
This is a very good point. What we schedule and what the other guys schedule has a cumulative effect through out the league. The league did such a good job against the tough opponents, no reason to offset that with weak cream puffs.

Big East brass needs to make the point to the league schools to work on better cream puffs. Facilitate with other league top brass to make these things happen.

Georgetown bit off more than it could chew, but at least got a few good wins, but then hurt everyone with their Radford and UNC Ashville losses.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2016, 01:17:13 PM »
Frankly, I am not interested in the NIT. Whether we get invited or not is immaterial.

But, we need NIT invites just in case the NCAA tries to move us out of our region again!
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2016, 01:49:33 PM »

I heard you. I'm disagreeing. There is a reason to schedule a swac team. Every team has a few sub 300 teams on their resume. Scheduling a swac team for that game is fine.
TAMU

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2016, 02:02:48 PM »
I heard you. I'm disagreeing. There is a reason to schedule a swac team. Every team has a few sub 300 teams on their resume. Scheduling a swac team for that game is fine.

Agree to disagree.  You could schedule what you think will be a decent team a year in advance that ends up being a sub 300 team the following year for whatever reason. Looking briefly at the RPI, a team like Drake (315), Northern Colorado (312) Lafayette (327), Southern Miss (310) probably weren't expect to be bottom 50 RPI teams this year and would fit that bill. 

Scheduling any SWAC team outside of Texas Southern has a good chance to be a sub 300 team.  No upside to playing a team like that for your computer numbers.  3 of the bottom 12 teams in the RPI are SWAC, and 5 of the bottom 50.  And thats in a year where the SWAC actually won some non-con games.

Ok, enough talking about the SWAC. Moving on..

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2016, 03:23:40 PM »
I'd like to know when the last time MU didn't schedule any sub 300s?  Just not too many.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #41 on: February 29, 2016, 03:44:11 PM »
I'd like to know when the last time MU didn't schedule any sub 300s?  Just not too many.

That's my point. You're always going to have a stinker or two, even ones unexpectedly.  Why schedule someone that is a near certainly to be 300+. Answer: you shouldn't.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #42 on: February 29, 2016, 03:54:21 PM »
That's my point. You're always going to have a stinker or two, even ones unexpectedly.  Why schedule someone that is a near certainly to be 300+. Answer: you shouldn't.

Because they're cheap. Teams like drake and southern miss carry bigger price tags because of their conference affiliation. Schedule a swac team, save the money, use it on another better opponent. One or two swac teams are fine as long as you schedule other quality opponents
TAMU

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #43 on: February 29, 2016, 03:57:38 PM »
Because they're cheap. Teams like drake and southern miss carry bigger price tags because of their conference affiliation. Schedule a swac team, save the money, use it on another better opponent. One or two swac teams are fine as long as you schedule other quality opponents

Continue to disagree. Spend more money - that's never been a problem for MU hoops.

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
« Reply #44 on: February 29, 2016, 05:48:49 PM »
It's ok to not be interested, no one is going to make you watch. But I Disagree with the second half. This young team needs the extra games and the valuable experience of playing in a tourney.

I agree, I had us projected as NIT before the year and would consider missing the NIT a disappointment. I understand not wanting it after three straight Sweet 16s, but after not being invited to anything for two years I want to compete and want this team to continue to win tough games away from home. We are a better road team than home team - and Wisconsin, Arizona State, LSU and Providence are nice wins that might give the team a chance to win a couple on the road and go back to Madison Square Garden to possibly win a title. Freshman who get the taste of an NIT Final Four run would go into next year highly ranked - even assuming Henry leaves.
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 29, 2016, 05:53:03 PM »
I do not think you should ever schedule a team you expect to be 300+. However, that does not mean you do not end up with one on the schedule because teams can underperform expectations or a player leaves or gets injured.

warriorstrack

• All American
  • Keep the wallet in the pocket
« Reply #46 on: February 29, 2016, 08:03:43 PM »
No thanks, MU can do better

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 29, 2016, 08:27:40 PM »

Probably whenever was the last year there were less than 300 D1 teams.

feedback