2025 Bracketology by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:57:10 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Lennys Tap
[June 02, 2024, 09:43:52 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Skatastrophy
[June 02, 2024, 08:27:35 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 02, 2024, 09:27:42 AM]

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[June 01, 2024, 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: SJU thoughts  (Read 11800 times)

tower912

• All American
SJU thoughts
« on: January 24, 2016, 07:13:44 PM »
1.  Geezus, that was an ugly game.    Thank God SJU is so bad.
2.  Henry inbounding the ball may have saved the game.   Amazing what a fundamental as simple as running the baseline can be. 
3.  Not getting blown up on the defensive boards sure does make your defense look better. 
4.  Contributions from lots of scorers.   
5.  Luke was not strong today.   Butchering passes, not going up strong in traffic.
6.  I am sure the blizzard contributed, but that tiny gym wasn't half full.   Puts MU complaints about attendance in perspective. 
7.  Game never had a flow.   Couldn't figure out how MU ended up 20.   Figured out easily how the lead was blown.   
8.  Conference road win.    Weird circumstances.   Take it, hope the airport is open, fly away. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

We R Final Four

• All American
Re: SJU thoughts
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 07:16:10 PM »
That was the worst press break I have seen since Seton Hall a few years ago.

Refs were very bad.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 07:17:11 PM »
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400862729

Plus 10,000,000  on the refs.   A few of those turnovers on the press came from blatant grabs that went uncalled. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 07:17:45 PM »
After the past few games, my thoughts are summarized in a very short list:

1. A win.

Exactly what we needed. Don't care who it was against. Don't care if it was at home or away. Don't care if it was delayed or relocated. Don't care if it was ugly. Let's go out and get another one as soon as possible.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 07:20:33 PM »
Bigger problem on this team was revealed when they announced Sandy with a career high 7 rebounds. 

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 07:22:00 PM »
9. Six assists, 22 TO's - any favorable outcome is accepted.
10. I've NEVER heard an announcer denigrate a kid the way they did with Traci - "terrible" entry pass, not moving the feet on defense, not coming to the ball vs. the press. We are in need of help at the point.
11. Rescheduled game in the midst/aftermath of a big storm = empty seats.
12. A win is a win is a win. We are now up to our projected 3 wins in the league. Anything from here on is gravy - and despite the fact that there are (repeated) lapses with respect to basic strategy, I think there will be at least a little gravy.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 07:24:45 PM »

12. A win is a win is a win. We are now up to our projected 3 wins in the league. Anything from here on is gravy - and despite the fact that there are (repeated) lapses with respect to basic strategy, I think there will be at least a little gravy.

What projection, just curious?

Kenpom had MU finishing 5th in BE win 9 conference wins pre season & Sports Illustrated had MU winning 10 conference games

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 07:36:51 PM »
9. Six assists, 22 TO's - any favorable outcome is accepted.
10. I've NEVER heard an announcer denigrate a kid the way they did with Traci - "terrible" entry pass, not moving the feet on defense, not coming to the ball vs. the press. We are in need of help at the point.
11. Rescheduled game in the midst/aftermath of a big storm = empty seats.
Sorry, 4 or 5 conference wins would not be considered gravy. More like dogs$%t.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 07:38:18 PM »
IMO Wojo needs to try and develop either Haanif or Duane at PG before next year because while I believe TC will be a great PG   eventually it just doesn't seem to be in the cards for the near future.  A back court of Wilson, HC, and Rowsey getting the bulk of the minutes next year should be solid.  Give Carter 10-15 minutes a game and hand him the keys starting in 2017-18 season. 

In game adjustments from this coaching staff continue to concern me.  As mentioned in previous threads an OG could be a calming influence on the bench next year. 

wrmrkt

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 07:56:04 PM »
IMO Wojo needs to try and develop either Haanif or Duane at PG before next year because while I believe TC will be a great PG   eventually it just doesn't seem to be in the cards for the near future.  A back court of Wilson, HC, and Rowsey getting the bulk of the minutes next year should be solid.  Give Carter 10-15 minutes a game and hand him the keys starting in 2017-18 season. 

In de game adjustments from this coaching staff continue to concern me.  As mentioned in previous threads an OG could be a calming influence on the bench next year.
[/http://www.mediaite.com/online/to-all-those-new-york-city-journalists-horrified-by-cruzs-jab-get-over-yourselves/

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2016, 08:02:34 PM »
I believe the refs in their pre game conference discuss amongst themselves that if Matt Heldt even begins take a step that might slightly resemble a screen.......call him for a moving pick. The word is out.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2016, 08:05:51 PM »
Coulda used Derrick against that press.  Just sayin'....

CubillanSandwich

• Walk-On
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2016, 08:10:58 PM »
13.  Only 7 three point attempts

brandx

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2016, 08:11:34 PM »

Traci HAS to be on the floor when the other team is pressing. Haanif and Cohen had no clue what to do. Traci, in most cases, either dribbled away from a double team or passed before the 2nd guy got there.

But, yes, Traci needs work on feeding the post. He has to realize he can't do it from the top of the key. There is no angle there.

jsheim

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2016, 08:32:18 PM »
13.  Only 7 three point attempts

This is a good thing

jsheim

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2016, 08:32:51 PM »
1.  Geezus, that was an ugly game.    Thank God SJU is so bad.
2.  Henry inbounding the ball may have saved the game.   Amazing what a fundamental as simple as running the baseline can be. 
3.  Not getting blown up on the defensive boards sure does make your defense look better. 
4.  Contributions from lots of scorers.   
5.  Luke was not strong today.   Butchering passes, not going up strong in traffic.
6.  I am sure the blizzard contributed, but that tiny gym wasn't half full.   Puts MU complaints about attendance in perspective. 
7.  Game never had a flow.   Couldn't figure out how MU ended up 20.   Figured out easily how the lead was blown.   
8.  Conference road win.    Weird circumstances.   Take it, hope the airport is open, fly away.

+1

jsheim

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2016, 08:33:33 PM »
After the past few games, my thoughts are summarized in a very short list:

1. A win.

Exactly what we needed. Don't care who it was against. Don't care if it was at home or away. Don't care if it was delayed or relocated. Don't care if it was ugly. Let's go out and get another one as soon as possible.

+1

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2016, 08:37:39 PM »
Coulda used Derrick against that press.  Just sayin'....

Ehhh I like watching the rim not break on free throws  :P ?-( ::)

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2016, 08:48:43 PM »
I'm hoping there was a valuable lesson learned on the press break today, hopefully it will pay dividends in the years to come.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2016, 08:49:28 PM »
SJU had 28 total points with 14 minutes to go.  They proceeded to score 45 in last 14.  UGH...

6 assists to 22 turnovers and still win is just amazing.

Traci Carter seems to "amped up" or something, he just wants to go full speed all the time.  Maybe if he calmed down bit or got under control or something.  If he continues, Wojo may just over-recruit at PG and let the chips fall.

Some don'ts:  Ever let Heldt set a screen. He's been called a lot.....
                     Ever let Cohen inbound the ball again.

Win is a win, let's see if they can win two more to beat the 4-14 BE record of last year. Progress, right.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2016, 09:09:59 PM »
not trying to start anything but am i the only one that's starting to doubt Henry as a sure fire NBA talent? I haven't seen him have one dominate game all year.. Sure quiet double doubles, but he has yet to show any sort of elite ability in beating college defenders.. It's easy to grab lots of rebounds when you're that tall.. he has at best above avg post play.. Shoots loads of shots at a mediocre fg %. Lastly he seems awfully slow and just not as athletic as some may have thought.. No doubt he'll be a great college player and will see some time In an nba uniform but I'm not sure if he will be in the league more than a year or so.. might just be like buckys, DJO Lazar Etc with some small contracts here and there.. Idk am I only one seeing this ?

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2016, 09:16:38 PM »
Henry will get better, but he might get better in the D league next year.  Who is he going to defend in the league, to slow.  Really at this point can not shot the ball
for a lottery pick.  Fine rebounder and will get better.  Shows you how bad college is, being rated the 7th pick by Draft Express.   Then again, he will not have 2 guys on
his back all the time.  Missed a ton of shots tonight, that is for sure.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2016, 09:23:23 PM »
not trying to start anything but am i the only one that's starting to doubt Henry as a sure fire NBA talent? I haven't seen him have one dominate game all year.. Sure quiet double doubles, but he has yet to show any sort of elite ability in beating college defenders.. It's easy to grab lots of rebounds when you're that tall.. he has at best above avg post play.. Shoots loads of shots at a mediocre fg %. Lastly he seems awfully slow and just not as athletic as some may have thought.. No doubt he'll be a great college player and will see some time In an nba uniform but I'm not sure if he will be in the league more than a year or so.. might just be like buckys, DJO Lazar Etc with some small contracts here and there.. Idk am I only one seeing this ?

Well, NBA GMs and scouts certainly are NOT seeing this, so...

The man will be a millionaire next year.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2016, 09:24:14 PM »
Henry will get better, but he might get better in the D league next year.  Who is he going to defend in the league, to slow.  Really at this point can not shot the ball
for a lottery pick.  Fine rebounder and will get better.  Shows you how bad college is, being rated the 7th pick by Draft Express.   Then again, he will not have 2 guys on
his back all the time.  Missed a ton of shots tonight, that is for sure.

And this is (unsurprisingly) downright silly.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2016, 09:39:30 PM »
* Great defensive effort to win the game.
* Turning the ball over on 27% of the possessions is just more of the same.  82 possession game is just way too much.
* Game of runs and MU's 2nd half run to go up 20 was just comfortable enough.
* Free throws the deciding factor.
* Henry 18 rebounds was a difference maker with the 9 possession differential on turnovers.
* Practice press break.
* SJU won the game of brain cramps, fortunately.
* Buy Mullin some Prosacea Rosacea cream.