Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

What is the State of Marquette basketball after the loss to DePaul

We're fine -- just having some growing pains.
45 (23.9%)
Scoopers are despondent. It's better than it looks right now.
53 (28.2%)
I'm losing my patience fast -- and baseball season can't come soon enough.....
54 (28.7%)
Wojo better get with it or... else
24 (12.8%)
Back up the truck and start over -- our administration doesn't have a clue
12 (6.4%)

Total Members Voted: 186

Author Topic: The State of Our Program After Depaul  (Read 11761 times)

dgies9156

• All American
The State of Our Program After Depaul
« on: January 20, 2016, 10:49:46 PM »
I couldn't resist this one.

I want things to be growing pains, but I think we're at a stage where Wojo soon may be on a shorter leash than he wants to be. I'm either an Option 3 or an Option 4.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: The State of Our Program After Depaul
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 10:51:41 PM »
I'm between 1 and 3...but I hate baseball, so 1 it is.

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 11:04:54 PM »
We suck. 
Period. 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 11:06:15 PM »
I've been a fan my whole life, and this stretch is really wearing on me. The last 2 2/3 seasons have been awful to sit through. I don't want to even think about next year, with even less size, and having to replace 16 and 10 per game.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 11:52:08 PM »
1. There is a process and it must be respected.Its an extremely painful and infuriating process, but were heading the right direction. This team will dance next year barring any surprise defections
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 12:08:22 AM »
I did not expect 2-5 in league play at this point. I always knew making the tournament would be tough this year, especially with our non-con, but I'm disappointed. Looks like the whole "teach the team how to win" plan against cupcakes is backfiring.

Early in the season, we weathered bumps against Belmont and Iowa but saw it pay off in NYC and Madison. Then we got fat on cupcakes, and now look fat and lazy.

That schedule did not prepare us remotely for the Big East.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 12:57:35 AM »
1. We have a young coaching staff - most notably, Wojo. Will Wojo be Coach K or Jay Wright? Unlikely. But both coaches saw significant losses in their first few years. I know Wright didn't make the tournament for quite a while either.

2. We are relying on players (mostly the freshmen) in roles they shouldn't be playing. Carter should be a back-up PG. Cheatham should be a 6th man. Wally should be getting 3-5 min per game. Henry, as a freshman, is stuffing stat sheets - but imagine him on an experienced team as a 3rd or 4th option. Heldt should probably be a RS. But the situation Wojo was left with, these guys are expected to be forced up in the rotation. I sincerely hope is speeds along development, but still, they're playing in roles they wouldn't be if we had a balanced roster. I also imagine the freshmen class as a whole is starting to hit a wall.

3. Duane and Sandy look like they're hitting their sophomore slumps.

4. JJJ is finally, in conference play, starting to look like he's putting it all together.

5. Luke, IMO, is the most disappointing this season. But, as it's a team game, I think the combination of 2 and 3 is hurting him as well.

6. Pilarz/Larry/Buzz may have left more damage in their wake than we've realized. Both university-wide and basketball-wise.

7. Give Wojo his due. I would say 5 years - so he gets one full recruiting cycle, but I can listen to an argument for 4 years.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 07:26:21 AM »
The administration does not have a clue. That is why they gave Wojo a contract extension mid-season.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 07:41:41 AM »
I voted for baseball season, but the truth is that the Blackhawks already have my attention

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 07:42:17 AM »
State of our program?

DOOMED!

Doomed, I say!

Freshmen and sophomores NEVER get better. Look it up; in the history of college sports, it's NEVER happened. So we are doomed, DOOMED, DOOOOOMED!

If I were you, I would start rooting for Wisconsin or Notre Dame or Northwestern or UC-Santa Cruz. Anybody but the doomed Golden Eagles. (So doomed, they don't even deserve to be called the Warriors.)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 08:27:50 AM »
The administration does not have a clue. That is why they gave Wojo a contract extension mid-season.

For about the 1000th time, the contract extension means nothing. Just a symbolic gesture.
TAMU

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 08:40:40 AM »
For about the 1000th time, the contract extension means nothing. Just a symbolic gesture.

How so?  If he is fired the school still owes him that money.  Now if he were to leave, then sure symbolic only, although at this point I don't see a lot of schools beating down the door to take him away.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 08:43:21 AM »
How so?  If he is fired the school still owes him that money.  Now if he were to leave, then sure symbolic only, although at this point I don't see a lot of schools beating down the door to take him away.

Anyone know what Wojo contract is looking like? I think it runs thru 2022, but have no clue how much per year

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2016, 08:49:16 AM »

He's not getting fired anytime soon so it's symbolic. He's doing fantastic at recruiting, plays the pr well, and his players love him. He's doing about everything that can be expected in year two of a rebuild.
TAMU

Marquette_g

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2016, 08:50:35 AM »
He's not getting fired anytime soon so it's symbolic. He's doing fantastic at recruiting, plays the pr well, and his players love him. He's doing about everything that can be expected in year two of a rebuild.

I'll grant him one fantastic class, as of this point the '16 class is nothing special on paper.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2016, 08:51:08 AM »
God, I hate Scoop after games like last night.  Short term perspective.

I am WAY more disappointed with the Packers.  They were expected to win. 

This is exactly what should of been expected.  We are starting 3 freshman, 1 sophomore and 1 junior.

Marquette_g

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2016, 08:59:55 AM »
God, I hate Scoop after games like last night.  Short term perspective.

I am WAY more disappointed with the Packers.  They were expected to win. 

This is exactly what should of been expected.  We are starting 3 freshman, 1 sophomore and 1 junior.

Agreed, although isn't part of that on Wojo?  He could/should have brought in a sr. transfer or Juco to lend some experience to the roster.  How many throw-away seasons are too many (asking honestly) as this is our second?

1SE

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2016, 09:15:24 AM »
Agreed, although isn't part of that on Wojo?  He could/should have brought in a sr. transfer or Juco to lend some experience to the roster.  How many throw-away seasons are too many (asking honestly) as this is our second?

Seem to be plenty of people here that see to think if we're relevant again by 2050 we're doing just fine.

Listen - this list is from a few years back but we are pretty consistently in the Top 10 spenders on MBB in the NCAA.  Look at the other teams on this list.  How many seasons of non-POSTSEASON (much less NCAA) would they put up with? I'm fine with the long re-build with a solid prospect, but then let's spend that kind of money - not money that teams that expect a deep NCAA run every year spend.

http://www.businessinsider.com/these-20-schools-spend-the-most-money-on-their-basketball-teams-2012-1?op=1&IR=T
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

crazyfannyboy54

• Walk-On
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2016, 09:15:37 AM »
Can Wojo and staff cannot fix everything. Some of this in on the players themselves. However with Nelson and Johnson and CC. You have to wonder. Maybe good ex ball player friends who cannot teach the game.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2016, 09:25:30 AM »
Agreed, although isn't part of that on Wojo?  He could/should have brought in a sr. transfer or Juco to lend some experience to the roster. 

Yes he should have.

He should have reached into Scoop's Politics board, yanked one of Heisy's 2,000 guns away, and then used that gun to force a good juco to sign with us.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2016, 09:37:59 AM »

You do realize that he tried to do just that right?

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2016, 09:38:32 AM »
MU won't be good until it has dominate guards.  It does not yet have them.  Perhaps their current crop will grow into such players, but until they do, MU hoops will remain painful to watch.

crazyfannyboy54

• Walk-On
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2016, 09:39:28 AM »
You wonder just like Buzz and Crean what scares big men from coming to Marquette...

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2016, 09:42:03 AM »

You do realize that he tried to do just that right?

Correct. Offered atleast 4 grad transfers:

T.Gielo
D.Lee
S.Miller
D.Johnson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2016, 09:44:29 AM »
You wonder just like Buzz and Crean what scares big men from coming to Marquette...

You mean like outside of Fischer, Ellenson and Heldt?

feedback