Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

What is the State of Marquette basketball after the loss to DePaul

We're fine -- just having some growing pains.
45 (23.9%)
Scoopers are despondent. It's better than it looks right now.
53 (28.2%)
I'm losing my patience fast -- and baseball season can't come soon enough.....
54 (28.7%)
Wojo better get with it or... else
24 (12.8%)
Back up the truck and start over -- our administration doesn't have a clue
12 (6.4%)

Total Members Voted: 186

Author Topic: The State of Our Program After Depaul  (Read 11653 times)

crazyfannyboy54

• Walk-On
Re: The State of Our Program After Depaul
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2016, 09:47:29 AM »
Fischer came here written off by crean. And Heldt should be at UWGB just honesty you need to do a little better than luck and in state recruiting.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2016, 09:47:35 AM »

You do realize that he tried to do just that right?

If you were a PF grad transfer would you have come to Marquette?  Luke and Henry more then likely entrenched at the 4 and 5 and the team not likely to be very good.  We would have been a tough sell for a one-year guy. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2016, 09:51:20 AM »
Fischer came here written off by crean. And Heldt should be at UWGB just honesty you need to do a little better than luck and in state recruiting.

A little harsh, but yes, Fish wanted to be close to home & couldn't transfer to Becky enless he paid his own way.

Heldt could be something. It's early. But yes, no P5 offers. Recruiting sites seemed to like him though

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2016, 09:57:22 AM »

Well now you are making excuses.  Fisher came here.  Ellenson came here.  And writing off Heldt is ridiculous.  He's a freshman big. 

crazyfannyboy54

• Walk-On
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2016, 10:00:57 AM »
Excuses more like just concerned for player development.Has allot changed from November besides Heldt not setting moving screens and effort. For luke the post moves are kind of predicatble you think??

1SE

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2016, 10:01:30 AM »
Point is, cowboy was able to scrape a JUCO when he needed one - at least until it all fell apart with McKay and when that happened he bolted.  The fact that Wojo TRIED to get a juco but COULND'T is almost worse than if he hadn't tried at all.  It's not like we didn't have the resources to bring one in.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2016, 10:34:53 AM »
Point is, cowboy was able to scrape a JUCO when he needed one - at least until it all fell apart with McKay and when that happened he bolted.  The fact that Wojo TRIED to get a juco but COULND'T is almost worse than if he hadn't tried at all.  It's not like we didn't have the resources to bring one in.

So if a coach doesn't bat 1.000 in recruiting he is failing at his job?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2016, 10:42:44 AM »
So if a coach doesn't bat 1.000 in recruiting he is failing at his job?

Correct. Offered at least 4 grad transfers:

T.Gielo
D.Lee
S.Miller
D.Johnson

I think we were only asking for .250

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2016, 10:49:06 AM »

The four players listed were all transfers.  I am not sure he offered any JUCOs.  He was tracking some, but all of them seemed to go to lower level programs.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 10:51:58 AM by The Sultan of Sunshine »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2016, 10:50:32 AM »

Correct. Offered at least 4 grad transfers:

T.Gielo
D.Lee
S.Miller
D.Johnson

I think we were only asking for .250

You said that it was embarrassing that Wojo tried for a JUCO and couldn't get him. Nothing about grad transfers
TAMU

1SE

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2016, 10:53:57 AM »
You said that it was embarrassing that Wojo tried for a JUCO and couldn't get him. Nothing about grad transfers

My bad - should have said juco/grad transfer - same idea of bringing in some experience. 

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2016, 10:57:14 AM »
My bad - should have said juco/grad transfer - same idea of bringing in some experience.

Wojo offered Jimario Rivers (Memphis) & Darralyn Willis (Wichita state), both JUCO's & didn't land them.

But these are 2016. Might be others that I can't recall

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2016, 10:59:40 AM »
Wojo offered Jimario Rivers (Memphis) & Darralyn Willis (Wichita state), both JUCO's & didn't land them.

But these are 2016. Might be others that I can't recall

I don't think the official with Willis went very well.  Neither party was interested after that.

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2016, 11:03:06 AM »

You do realize that he tried to do just that right?

So he failed at that too then.  We can add that to the list.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2016, 11:18:27 AM »
Yes he should have.

He should have reached into Scoop's Politics board, yanked one of Heisy's 2,000 guns away, and then used that gun to force a good juco to sign with us.

Now you're talking, sometimes guns are good for something.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2016, 11:22:34 AM »
The state of our program is exactly what it was prior to the DePaul game.   We still have a second year head coach and a team with 10 scholarship players.   5 freshmen.   Of the 5 upperclassmen, 1 is new to MU and 2 were bench players on a really bad team.    Our 3 bigs all have slow feet defensively and aren't particularly strong.  5 of our other 7 are undersized for the positions they play. (not Traci or Haanif)    With all of this inexperience and lack of size, this team is what I thought they would be.     Better than last year, but still not good enough to win consistently in the Big East.  Building for next year. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

CheesyMUfan4ever

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2016, 11:24:33 AM »
Tyler Herro was in the building last night too. Sickens me. He was at Wisconsin last Sunday for upset of Michigan State and then Marquette loses to awful DePaul. Seems this program will never get traction. I still think we have a good chance at him, but there is work to be done.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2016, 11:25:41 AM »
Tyler Herro was in the building last night too. Sickens me. He was at Wisconsin last Sunday for upset of Michigan State and then Marquette loses to awful DePaul. Seems this program will never get traction. I still think we have a good chance at him, but there is work to be done.

If he choses based on the outcome of a couple games, then he is being short-sighted.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2016, 11:25:51 AM »
I'm between 1 and 3...but I hate baseball, so 1 it is.

Commie

Death on call

tower912

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2016, 11:28:15 AM »

MU had their new coach.   Wiscy has uncertainty.   He is an '18, right?    MU is going to be in much better shape when he enters as a freshman than Wiscy will be. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2016, 11:29:15 AM »
MU won't be good until it has dominate guards.  It does not yet have them.  Perhaps their current crop will grow into such players, but until they do, MU hoops will remain painful to watch.

Dominant guards are crucial for whipping a team into shape. The most crucial ingredient in success is pain.

Death on call

Class71

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2016, 11:42:27 AM »
1. There is a process and it must be respected.Its an extremely painful and infuriating process, but were heading the right direction. This team will dance next year barring any surprise defections

Glad to hear the old process is back in place. Could you please explain, "the process"?  I am having some trouble catching up on the details of the master plan that is underway.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2016, 11:46:09 AM »

Crap. UW was at his game Friday night in addition to the Kohl Center Sunday it sounds like. And his scout.com quotes left me abit bummed.

It is early though

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2016, 01:09:07 PM »
Glad to hear the old process is back in place. Could you please explain, "the process"?  I am having some trouble catching up on the details of the master plan that is underway.

1. Recruit good players
2. Do the best you can with young inexperienced players
3. Watch those players grow up
4. Win
5. Repeat as many times as necessary

We're still in step 2. Can't get to step 4 without steps 1-3. And those steps take a few years
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 01:11:47 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2016, 01:23:42 PM »
1. Recruit good players
2. Do the best you can with young inexperienced players
3. Watch those players grow up
4. Win
5. Repeat as many times as necessary

We're still in step 2. Can't get to step 4 without steps 1-3. And those steps take a few years

The old process (fill holes with Jucos and transfers who are ready) worked better than the new process  (wait and hope that players who aren't ready become ready someday) does.