[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Cheap Flights?  (Read 12876 times)

martyconlonontherun

• All American
Re: Cheap Flights?
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2016, 03:33:49 PM »
Don't forget to include parking in that calculation, if applicable.  It's way, way cheaper in MKE.

You can get parking off-site with a shuttle at Ohare for $8. Does Mitchell have any place with free parking nearby that is accessible to the airport without using public transportation which is spotty? Unless you are getting dropped off, i can't imagine you save more than $5 a day. (I've had great experiences off-site at off-hare and thought it was more convenient than having a friend pick up even)

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2016, 03:44:24 PM »
I will be going to San Diego from Milwaukee (or a Chicago airport if cheaper) and back from Thursday, April 28-Sunday, May 1.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2016, 04:15:04 PM »
Also, shop on a private browser.

How do you do that?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2016, 04:18:13 PM »
How do you do that?

If you have Chrome, click on the menu on the upper right and select "New incognito window"

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2016, 04:21:35 PM »
You can get parking off-site with a shuttle at Ohare for $8. Does Mitchell have any place with free parking nearby that is accessible to the airport without using public transportation which is spotty? Unless you are getting dropped off, i can't imagine you save more than $5 a day. (I've had great experiences off-site at off-hare and thought it was more convenient than having a friend pick up even)

Mitchell's own remote parking is $7/day.
Have some patience, FFS.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2016, 04:23:32 PM »
How do you do that?

With Internet Explorer use "In Private Browsing" although Google Flights doesn't seem to work with that.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2016, 06:07:38 PM »
O'Hare has awesome off site parking. There's one that's $9/day. Private transit to and from and they'll give your ride a mini detail while your gone.

I live equally far from both airports, almost always go ORD due to price and number of flights.

It's not a scary place at all if you spend 15 minutes and learn what you need to do

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2016, 06:30:40 PM »
Southwest is pretty transparent.  Unfortunately, it's not the bargain it used to be.

if you fly with bag(s) that's got to add up.  i rarely check a bag, so i don't know if that equates to savings, but don't the other airlines charge $25-50/bag under 50 ibs. now?
don't...don't don't don't don't

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2016, 06:42:18 PM »
I will be going to San Diego from Milwaukee (or a Chicago airport if cheaper) and back from Thursday, April 28-Sunday, May 1.

Can you get the boy you're flying to see chip in on the cost?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2016, 06:47:03 PM »
if you fly with bag(s) that's got to add up.  i rarely check a bag, so i don't know if that equates to savings, but don't the other airlines charge $25-50/bag under 50 ibs. now?

Glow and I just got back from a ski trip last night. Flew Southwest and checked two pairs of skis,two boot bags, and two pieces of luggage. Didn't pay a cent in bag fees
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2016, 06:54:46 PM »
I hate that fookin' airline. Just sell me a reserved seat and don't treat me like I'm in some cock a mayme police line up. SWA needs to grow some boulders and take a page from Virgin America's playbook, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

reinko

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2016, 07:30:01 PM »
Glow and I just got back from a ski trip last night. Flew Southwest and checked two pairs of skis,two boot bags, and two pieces of luggage. Didn't pay a cent in bag fees

+1, packing luggage on luggage,  car seat,  and stroller as the family Reinko heads to MKE tomorrow.   On any other airline probably $150+ in fees.

Dan

• Walk-On
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2016, 07:38:43 PM »
 Google flights price stays the same, even w/ repeat visits to the site. No need to go incognito. Also may want to check Allegiant (sp) if you can fly out of Rockford and heading south.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2016, 08:29:01 PM »
I hate that fookin' airline. Just sell me a reserved seat and don't treat me like I'm in some cock a mayme police line up. SWA needs to grow some boulders and take a page from Virgin America's playbook, hey?

If you want to waste your money on that, go ahead.  Just leaves more aisle seats for me.   ;D
Have some patience, FFS.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2016, 08:48:37 PM »
Google flights price stays the same, even w/ repeat visits to the site. No need to go incognito. Also may want to check Allegiant (sp) if you can fly out of Rockford and heading south.

Allegiant had lower rates if you buy your tix at the airport, when they are staffed for a flight than over the phone or online.   Have to live near rockford or Sioux Falls to get that benefit.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2016, 08:55:32 PM »
i was flying american to and from cabo.  paid the bag fees on the way down-no big deal.  coming back, i'm over the limit(no i didn't have any contraband) with exactly the same stuff i went with.  unless my dirty clothes put on like 5 lbs, they had me by the short ones.  $50 please-thank you very much.  what ya gonna do?  argue?  i've got to get F'ing home somehow-gracious senor
don't...don't don't don't don't

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2016, 09:59:33 PM »
Can you get the boy you're flying to see chip in on the cost?

Maybe your boy Blair Walsh will fly me out to SD this weekend to watch the Packers game in some warm weather sunshine. He has the coin and the free time, ai'na?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 10:12:15 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2016, 10:04:02 PM »

Word.

SWA sucks. Wish Virgin had more routes out of ohare.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2016, 07:58:04 AM »
+1, packing luggage on luggage,  car seat,  and stroller as the family Reinko heads to MKE tomorrow.   On any other airline probably $150+ in fees.
Airlines shouldn't be charging you to check a car seat.  Although, this may be a Delta thing as I fly them 99% of the time.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2016, 08:33:13 AM »
Airlines shouldn't be charging you to check a car seat.  Although, this may be a Delta thing as I fly them 99% of the time.

Why not? They're bulkier than my suitcase.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2016, 08:39:56 AM »
Why not? They're bulkier than my suitcase.
I'm not 100% sure but I expect because they are required by law and most car rental companies (in my experience) won't guarantee their availability.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2016, 08:52:13 AM »

As a passenger, I thank you for checking it instead of bringing it on board for your non-ticketed lap child and then getting honked off when you can't take up a seat with it.
Have some patience, FFS.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2016, 09:38:19 AM »

Co-sign what others said .. I flew with car seats a bunch of times .. no charge.  (Although why they don't charge when they have a fee for everything else is surprising.)

One nice thing .. buy a car seat bag .. then stuff the seat and tons of other stuff in to it .. it becomes a free suitcase, basically.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2016, 09:43:47 AM »
Which bean counter came up with da utter, illogical and unsafe, idea of allowin' 2 and under kids to ride free if they're sittin' on a lap? Sorry, but y'all should be required to bite it off and buy da kid a ticket. Pure and simple, it's a major safety issue, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2016, 09:59:26 AM »
Which bean counter came up with da utter, illogical and unsafe, idea of allowin' 2 and under kids to ride free if they're sittin' on a lap? Sorry, but y'all should be required to bite it off and buy da kid a ticket. Pure and simple, it's a major safety issue, ai na?

Exactly how many kids have been killed or seriously injured on a plane because they weren't in a car seat?  If the plane is hurtling towards the ground at 500 miles/hour, it isn't going to help much.
Have some patience, FFS.

feedback