[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Shaka interview by Jay Bee
[April 30, 2024, 09:36:41 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[April 30, 2024, 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 30, 2024, 02:09:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Cheap Flights?  (Read 12879 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Cheap Flights?
« on: January 12, 2016, 12:34:28 PM »
I'm wondering if anybody has any advice on finding cheap flights.  Looking online I've seen a lot of different information on how early prior to a trip you should buy tickets, but it sounds like generally the best time is between 45 days and 4 months before a trip.  Any thoughts on this?

Also, does anybody have a favorite site they use to book their flights?

Thanks in advance.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Archies Bat

• All American
Re: Cheap Flights?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 12:48:46 PM »
I search for flights on Orbitz, but once I find my flights, I book directly with the airline.  It tends to be easier to change flights, if needed, if you buy directly from the airline.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 12:54:46 PM »
Kayak and hipmunk are the travel sites I use.

http://flights.google.com is fun for research.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 03:35:32 PM by Skatastrophy »

speri

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 12:56:06 PM »
www.kayak.com/explore/ is a fun way to identify cheap flight options if you are flexible.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 01:05:47 PM »
Also, shop on a private browser.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 01:15:01 PM »
http://www.kayak.com/travelhacker/global

To get the best pricing per Kayak:

NORTH AMERICA: Book 4 to 6 weeks in advance.  Depart Friday, return Monday.
EUROPE: Book 6 months in advance.  Depart Wednesday, return Tuesday.
CARRIBEAN: Book 2 to 4 weeks in advance.  Depart Thursday, return Tuesday.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 01:20:18 PM »
If you are in Milwaukee and flying international, check Ohare, it's typically a lot cheaper for Intl flights.  I mean A LOT cheaper.

If you are in (northern) Chi area, check Mitchell, sometimes you save quite a bit of money, even when you factor in drive time, paying your buddy to take you up there, etc. (though I must say that Mitchell doesn't have the cost savings relative to Ohare that it once had)

Dan

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 01:37:49 PM »

Googleflights.com By far the easiest site, even though they don't advertise it. Will alert you if nearby airports are cheaper and/or how much you can save by going 1-3 days earlier or later.

You'll love it.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 02:00:36 PM »
1. Use a private browser.
2. Book six weeks in advance.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 02:06:51 PM »
Interesting, what does using a private browser do?

Thanks again for the advice.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 02:17:58 PM »
Ya wanna sit in or outta da plane? For a case of Pagan Pink or Purple J, keefe will cart ya 'round with a seat on da wing, hey?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 02:19:54 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 02:21:33 PM »
Interesting, what does using a private browser do?

Thanks again for the advice.
Sites tag you and the more you check out fares the less likely they are to show you the cheapest

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2016, 02:32:03 PM »
Haven't paid for a flight in 3 years....frequent flier miles and a United credit card go a long way

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2016, 02:44:38 PM »
Ya wanna sit in or outta da plane? For a case of Pagan Pink or Purple J, keefe will cart ya 'round with a seat on da wing, hey?

Was hoping you could hook me up with a seat in the Looney private jet, ai'na?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2016, 02:48:31 PM »
Sites tag you and the more you check out fares the less likely they are to show you the cheapest

Yep.

I saved over $200 in airfare to Cancun by just opening an incognito window.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2016, 02:57:21 PM »
depends on where you're going.  southwest was offering a number of trips to select places for $65 one way.  i fly s.w. almost exclusively, so i don't know if you need to be a preferred customer to get these offers or not
don't...don't don't don't don't

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2016, 02:59:27 PM »
If you are in Milwaukee and flying international, check Ohare, it's typically a lot cheaper for Intl flights.  I mean A LOT cheaper.

If you are in (northern) Chi area, check Mitchell, sometimes you save quite a bit of money, even when you factor in drive time, paying your buddy to take you up there, etc. (though I must say that Mitchell doesn't have the cost savings relative to Ohare that it once had)

Don't forget to include parking in that calculation, if applicable.  It's way, way cheaper in MKE.
Have some patience, FFS.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2016, 03:00:50 PM »
depends on where you're going.  southwest was offering a number of trips to select places for $65 one way.  i fly s.w. almost exclusively, so i don't know if you need to be a preferred customer to get these offers or not

Southwest is pretty transparent.  Unfortunately, it's not the bargain it used to be.
Have some patience, FFS.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2016, 03:01:21 PM »
Don't forget to include parking in that calculation, if applicable.  It's way, way cheaper in MKE.

I can't understand why anyone would park at O'Hare with the alternative options available (public transit and an Uber ride for <$20 from almost anywhere around Chicago).

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2016, 03:04:23 PM »
I can't understand why anyone would park at O'Hare with the alternative options available (public transit and an Uber ride for <$20 from almost anywhere around Chicago).

If you are on your own dime and don't have easy access to public transportation, it can still be cheaper to drive and park if you trip is only a few days (depending on where you live).
Have some patience, FFS.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2016, 03:05:19 PM »
I only fly for vacations (never for my job) and my vacation time is very limited and valuable to me. I've often been tempted to fly out of Chicago than MKE but if I only save <$200/ticket its not worth the extra time spent travelling on my 1st and last days of vacation.

Thanks for the private browser tip, makes a lot of sense.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2016, 03:06:13 PM »
http://www.kayak.com/travelhacker/global

To get the best pricing per Kayak:

NORTH AMERICA: Book 4 to 6 weeks in advance.  Depart Friday, return Monday.

That is a pretty broad generalization.  For example, depart Friday, return Monday is far from the cheapest if you are going to Las Vegas.
Have some patience, FFS.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2016, 03:18:48 PM »
That is a pretty broad generalization.  For example, depart Friday, return Monday is far from the cheapest if you are going to Las Vegas.

This is a good point. Totally depends on your destination. My wife and I traveled to Europe a couple years ago and spent 3 nights in Brussels (beautiful city, loved every minute of it). I discovered Brussels is a political/business capital that empties out on weekends, and we stayed Thursday through Sunday in a 4 star hotel for $50 a night.

Likewise, you can find a hotel in Vegas on a Tuesday night for $65 but it will balloon up to $150 come Friday and Saturday (another real scenario I discovered).

Bottom line is, know the market and type of city, as well as the most common type of traveler to that city, and then go against the grain to save money.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2016, 03:22:16 PM »
Also, for international flights, I have found some of the best fares come out of national flag carriers, as long as you are willing to stop in their country for a layover.

For example, my wife and I flew to Paris....a direct flight from Chicago on AirFrance, United or American was over $1200 round trip per person. We found a fare with Aer Lingus that had a layover in Dublin for $850 round trip (and still StarAlliance so we got the miles). The $700 total savings for both of us was worth it to us. Plus the flight attendants had cute Irish brogues.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 03:24:11 PM by Coleman »

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2016, 03:29:19 PM »

I forget what the name of the off-site lot is, but its 8. bucks per 24 hour period. If you leave on a Friday and come back sunday, you get shuttle and parking $16. I've never had to wait more than 10 minutes each way. I thought it was way better than public transportation, especially with 2 people.

Depending on how cheap and how flexible you are, Spirit has some great deals if you are just looking to get away for a weekend. I've actually had very good experiences with them (the light bag requirement makes the travel experience easier since it forces you to pack light). I've heard some horror stories but most of the bitching is about paying $3 for a soda or not being smart enough to make sure your bag was the right size. You are paying less than half of southwest on some flights, I think you would be ok bringing an empty water bottle with you and filling it up in the lobby before entering the plane.

I've been to Philly $71 RT, and then O'hare->La (drive to) San Diego->$127 total for the trip. Again, it only makes sense if you are going for the weekend so you don't have to pay bag fees. I was able to pack dress clothes, workout clothes and casual clothes into the allowed personal item.

feedback