Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Friar thoughts  (Read 16210 times)

tower912

• All American
Friar thoughts
« on: January 05, 2016, 08:01:08 PM »
HUGE WIN!   WHAT A COMEBACK AFTER THEY HAD GONE FLAT FOR A FEW MINUTES.
1.  If Providence is a top 10 team, then college basketball is down this year.
2.  28 minutes of solid, a few minutes of bad, and then back to really good.   Leadership finally shown.
3.  Offensive rebounding?   Anyone?    (crickets)
4.  What is Carter's A/TO ratio in conference?    Ah, well, gotta keep riding him.  It's not like he is the only one making careless turnovers. 
5.  MU's bigs are only mediums in conference.
6.  When Luke sits, Henry doesn't go to the low block, so it is more like a 5-out/0-in.
7.  MU hit a decent % of free throws.   Just seemed to miss ones we needed. 
8.  Haanif has a bright future.  More confidence in his 3 pt shot and a pull up jumper and watch out.
9.  Henry, Sandy, JJ, Duane, Haanif with a great run to turn the game back around.
10.  Zone was effective.  Quick and interchangeable on the perimeter.   Rebounding an issue, but it is in the man defense, too.     
11.  The zone was phenomenal  on the last possession.   
12.  MU played 35 solid minutes against a good team on the road.   It is rare for a young team to give up a lead on the road, play that flat for 5 minutes, regroup and overcome a deficit.   Nearly unprecedented in my memories of MU basketball.   

Oh, hell yeah!
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brandx

Re: Friar thoughts
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 08:03:15 PM »
Going in, I thought this was THE game if we were going to have a chgance at a decent season. Not that we had to win, but we had to play hard and we had to play well.

The win was well deserved. The effort was there.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 08:05:02 PM »
The book is out on Luke.  Bigs are going right against him since he stays stationary and only puts his hands up.  That is fine against guys 6'7" and shorter but not the big boys.

I know Wojo is trying to keep him out of foul trouble but he has to leave his feet/swat at a few to keep the offensive player honest.  Really need to let Luke play a more aggressive defense otherwise good post players are going to score at will.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 08:05:49 PM »

12.  MU played 35 solid minutes against a good team on the road.   It is rare for a young team to give up a lead on the road, play that flat for 5 minutes, regroup and overcome a deficit.   Nearly unprecedented in my memories of MU basketball.   

Oh, hell yeah!

Sums it up nicely.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 08:06:12 PM »
Henry was better defensively. But shot selection wasn't great. Has to stay down low when Henry not on the floor. But his overall effort was much better.

In the post game interview Wojo said the conference game intensity knocked them back. They responded well.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 08:06:34 PM »
Thought it was interesting how much better the offense looked when we went small ball. Looks like a 4 out or even a 5 out. When Luke/Heldt and Henry are in, the offense looks bogged down and slow

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 08:07:03 PM »
I know SJU is far from a lock even at home but I was so depressed at the prospect of playing such a blah team just to be 1-3.

Now we play to get back to even. Huge.

Providence is overrated as I thought with their 2 man show. But what a combo those two are. 48 pts of 64?

Hopefull team learns they gotta just play balls to the wall every game. Some stretches will look pathetic but it gives us a shot if we play hard
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 08:07:40 PM »
We definately benefited from Fazekes coming back.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 08:09:13 PM »
#4, I'll do in separate thread soon.  Maybe the Carter PG thing not working.

How did they win??? I guess defensively. No clue, but holding Providence like that in last two minutes was impressive.

MU for third straight game just destroyed on offensive boards.  13 to 2 and MU did not have a single offensive rebound in first half. Bentil with 28 and 9, with Fischer having only two field goals.

Wilson redeemed himself after 15 minute mark blunders.  What happened to his free throw shooting.

Henry had great game, even though he was 1 for 5 from three, one of these days they will start falling. But all round, might have been his best overall.

Cheatham, well he is a player and maybe should shoot more from outside.  Very impressive.

brandx

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 08:10:10 PM »
Thought it was interesting how much better the offense looked when we went small ball. Looks like a 4 out or even a 5 out. When Luke/Heldt and Henry are in, the offense looks bogged down and slow

I thought the same. I was hoping he didn't put Fischer back in down the stretch as they were playing better with him sitting.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 08:12:19 PM »
Rewatching the end, Dunn should have passed that ball. I think Lindsey was wide open when Henry left to help.

Also, sweet celebration hop by Diener on the bench.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 08:13:01 PM »
I thought for several important minutes after Wojo freaked after a call (and the ref went after Duane in the huddle), the refs tone seemed to change a bit and it helped us. Time for another extension and raise, IMO!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2016, 08:18:15 PM »
This is a win that can get you in at 10-8. Huge.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

tower912

• All American
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 08:26:02 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2016, 08:22:00 PM »
I thought the same. I was hoping he didn't put Fischer back in down the stretch as they were playing better with him sitting.
Didn't  want to see him back in either
He has got to start making those bunnies

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2016, 08:23:18 PM »
Big win on national tv!
ESPN show the highlights during the Badger game with 5 seconds left.  :)

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2016, 08:24:49 PM »
Against one of the top collegiate players in the country, our defense forced him to commit seven turnovers.  Unreal.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2016, 08:25:20 PM »
If you seen Providence vs Arizona, Michigan State & Butler, you can totally see why they are a Top 10 team.

geps

• Team Captain
  • Double down
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2016, 08:27:16 PM »

Oh, hell yeah!
Don't ever remember a comeback like that vs. top 10 team after blowing the lead. We were burnt toast.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2016, 08:28:35 PM »
HUGE WIN!   WHAT A COMEBACK AFTER THEY HAD GONE FLAT FOR A FEW MINUTES.
1.  If Providence is a top 10 team, then college basketball is down this year.

Every year everyone claims it is a down year in college basketball.  ::)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 08:30:59 PM by Aughnanure »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2016, 08:33:20 PM »
Every year everyone claims it is a down year in college basketball.  ::)
True.  Providence came out flat and other than a 10 minute stretch didn't play well at all.  They are much better than they played tonight.  Let's hope it was because of us.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2016, 08:33:52 PM »
Rewatching the end, Dunn should have passed that ball. I think Lindsey was wide open when Henry left to help.

Also, sweet celebration hop by Diener on the bench.
Think he could not really see with the triple team
Goal is National Championship

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2016, 08:35:55 PM »
The biggest thing is the way we fought back when down 58-50.  At that point, I thought we were done, more likely to lose by 15-20 than win.  I was very impressed with that finish. 

Now we need to keep that intensity and beat SJU comfortably.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2016, 08:37:24 PM »
Myron Medcalf
ESPN Staff Writer

And Marquette wins at Providence after NBA prospect Henry Ellenson blocks NBA prospect Kris Dunn's final shot. Again, this Marquette squad lost to Georgetown and Seton Hall by 30 points combined. And now the Golden Eagles just grabbed a road win over a top-10 team and Big East contender. That's the Big East. So strong.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

geps

• Team Captain
  • Double down
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2016, 08:40:13 PM »
Anyone notice Dunn had 7 TO's? Seems like a lot for NBA prospect.

feedback