Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Friar thoughts  (Read 16209 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Friar thoughts
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2016, 10:39:14 PM »
Nobody said it made a huge difference.  Bilsu simply said we benefited from him coming back, and I agreed.

You don't think a guy going 0-4 benefited us?  Guess we'll have to disagree.

I think Rodney Bullock, a guy averaging 14 points per game, going 3-11 in over 30 minutes benefited us far more than a bench player going 0-4 in 5 minutes including a shot he had no option but to shoot the ball. But wait...

At the buzzer when they had the ball dribbling out the clock and set up the drive and kick for open corner 3.

You make it sound like he heaved up a desperation shot lol

It's not null and void. He takes that anytime....as exhibited by his second half brick on the exact same shot.

...yeah you're right. He should've realized he didn't have it tonight and passed that shot up...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2016, 11:20:33 PM »
I think Rodney Bullock, a guy averaging 14 points per game, going 3-11 in over 30 minutes benefited us far more than a bench player going 0-4 in 5 minutes including a shot he had no option but to shoot the ball. But wait...

...yeah you're right. He should've realized he didn't have it tonight and passed that shot up...

I agree Fazekas wasn't a huge factor. Not sure anybody said he was. All I know is that when he left the game for good with 5 minutes or so to go, I said, "Damn! He was one of our best weapons tonight!" And several in my group agreed. I mean, the guy hit the top of the backboard a couple times.

As for the game ...

PC obviously didn't play its best and was quite bad the first 10-15 minutes. But I do think we had a little to do with that, as we were hustling our asses off. A lot of energy and spirit from the Warriors all night. Even when we weren't playing all that well, we were scrapping pretty hard -- which, of course, should be the norm.

As others have said, the most impressive thing was the way we didn't fold up our tents after falling behind 58-50.

I thought Wojo had a particularly strong game. I guess that's surprising given the mind games he likes to play, the acquiescing to "selfish Henry," and the way NO former K assistant knows how to coach.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2016, 11:26:27 PM »
Which Marquette team shows up this weekend and for the rest of the season?
The one that got blown out by Iowa and lost to Belmont, Georgetown and Seton Hall?
The one that defeated Wisconsin, Providence, LSU and Arizona State, all on the road?

I lighting a novena light tonight for the latter.

A pattern has emerged with this group.

In Italy - first time this team plays together at game speed - we were pretty bad but improved enough in 2nd half of first game to win. Run the table from there.

Start of season: lose to Belmont, squeak past IUPUI (my god...) and get drilled by Iowa...all at home. Run the out-of-conference table from there.

Start of BEAST play: get pantsed by Seton Hall at home, lose by a little less on the road at Georgetown, beat #8 Providence on the road.

I like where this might be headed.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2016, 05:27:58 AM »
Tower, you put together a different list of thoughts for two boards....that's impressive.

They were parallel and similar, but not identical.

Am I the only one who noticed that Heldt was credited with more assists than Sandy, Wally, JJ, and Duane combined?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 06:14:39 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2016, 06:32:38 AM »
They were parallel and similar, but not identical.

Am I the only one who noticed that Heldt was credited with more assists than Sandy, Wally, JJ, and Duane combined?

That sorts it. Start Heldt at the point ;)
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2016, 07:03:49 AM »
I thought that was by far the best that Heldt looked this season.  A huge improvement from early in the season when he looked totally lost and confused.  Not ready to put him in the rotation or anything, but it looks like he won't kill us if he has to play a little here and there.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2016, 07:35:19 AM »
I thought that was by far the best that Heldt looked this season.  A huge improvement from early in the season when he looked totally lost and confused.  Not ready to put him in the rotation or anything, but it looks like he won't kill us if he has to play a little here and there.

Is it me, or has he trimmed up considerably as well.  His feet are moving much better and can really cause trouble with his length defensively.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2016, 07:39:32 AM »
Heldt is progressing nicely.   He was a 3 star big from northern Wisconsin.   He has a lot to learn.  It is apparent that he is working hard learning.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2016, 07:42:58 AM »
First game I didn't watch this year. Guess I'm gonna take one for the team and not watch anymore.

We're 3 games in and already lost a game we shouldn't have and won a game we shouldn't have as well. The sEason checklist is foolproof.

Forgive me but one Warrior said he was vacationing in Bali and would miss the game. Please stay in Bali.!

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2016, 08:10:11 AM »

Agreed.  The box score also robbed him of a Blk.  I distinctly remember him blocking a shot out of bounds underneath the hoop in the first half.

muwarrior69

• All American

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2016, 08:24:25 AM »
Agreed.  The box score also robbed him of a Blk.  I distinctly remember him blocking a shot out of bounds underneath the hoop in the first half.

I don't remember that at all.  I remember him diving to save a ball from going out of bounds on the defensive end which resulted in a Providence turnover, and he had a rebound under the basket in traffic.  Don't recall a block.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2016, 08:28:05 AM »
That is Dunn's weakness. Always has been.

That and FTs
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2016, 08:32:53 AM »
Great win, thought the wheels were coming off but they managed to put them back on.  Thought Duane's circus shot while awesome should have been a pass to Haanif in the corner...shot doesn't fall and I think that's all we're talking about this morning.

Second, I think it's been mentioned here before, but I'm surprised by how Wojo has used Wally the last couple of games.  Seems to get a fair bit of run in the 1st halves and MU seemingly is playing well in those minutes but when we need something in the 2nd half he's nailed to the bench. Is is a provision in his track contract? Obviously it worked out but when Fischer went out with 4 fouls I thought we should have gone Haanif, Duane, Sandy, Wally, and Henry.

Am I off my rocker?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2016, 08:46:08 AM »
Great win, thought the wheels were coming off but they managed to put them back on.  Thought Duane's circus shot while awesome should have been a pass to Haanif in the corner...shot doesn't fall and I think that's all we're talking about this morning.

Second, I think it's been mentioned here before, but I'm surprised by how Wojo has used Wally the last couple of games.  Seems to get a fair bit of run in the 1st halves and MU seemingly is playing well in those minutes but when we need something in the 2nd half he's nailed to the bench. Is is a provision in his track contract? Obviously it worked out but when Fischer went out with 4 fouls I thought we should have gone Haanif, Duane, Sandy, Wally, and Henry.

Am I off my rocker?

Watch the rotation closely 03.  Matt comes in and plays with Henry.  Wally is typically paired with Luke.  Wojo did this exact same thing in the GTown game.  What I'm sensing is that coach is working up those combos so the pairs get familiar with each other.  Better ball movement, better D.  For Matt especially, familiarity and playing as you practice is making him effective in his short runs.  I wouldn't expect Matt to get second half minutes right now if Luke goes off but there's no doubt at all that the young kid is improving.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2016, 09:12:29 AM »

same here, I even checked the box score this morning but Heldt wasn't given credit - I assume it was (not) scored as a deflection out of bounds but it was a block IMO

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2016, 09:29:38 AM »
same here, I even checked the box score this morning but Heldt wasn't given credit - I assume it was (not) scored as a deflection out of bounds but it was a block IMO

Guessing that was because of the announce crew. I remember that call and they gave credit to Fischer, who wasn't even in the game. If the scoring was done by someone watching on TV or by an official scorer who was sitting next to the announce team it's possible they just gave Luke credit erroneously.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2016, 09:36:32 AM »
Guessing that was because of the announce crew. I remember that call and they gave credit to Fischer, who wasn't even in the game. If the scoring was done by someone watching on TV or by an official scorer who was sitting next to the announce team it's possible they just gave Luke credit erroneously.

I remember that too.  I thought it was funny, because it seemed as if the announcers didn't even know Heldt existed.

I wondered if they scored it to Fischer or Ellenson, but seemed like Fischer had at least 1 block and 4 for ellenson seems right.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2016, 10:03:08 AM »

Love Raferty but his broadcast partner last night was brutal....he was like a poor man's Gus Johnson

UticaBusBarn

• Team Captain
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2016, 10:04:35 AM »

Am I off my rocker?

All Scoopers are a little off their rockers, or they wouldn't be Scoopers!  :P

MU82

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2016, 11:32:09 AM »
Heldt is progressing nicely.   He was a 3 star big from northern Wisconsin.   He has a lot to learn.  It is apparent that he is working hard learning.

I have very low expectations for him.

I merely am expecting him to be a very good player as a junior and national player of the year as a senior.

Hey, if it was good enough for Kaminsky ...
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2016, 12:09:49 PM »
Tower, you put together a different list of thoughts for two boards....that's impressive.

Hopefully he is posting "the good stuff" on Scoop...

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2016, 12:11:39 PM »

5.  MU's bigs are only mediums in conference.

What I like about Heldt is you can see a material difference in the physical play down low when he is in. Guy isn't afraid to throw his body into it.

Death on call

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2016, 12:17:08 PM »
What I like about Heldt is you can see a material difference in the physical play down low when he is in. Guy isn't afraid to throw his body into it.

His very uncoordinated body right now, but he has definitely been a positive so far

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2016, 12:19:05 PM »
Watch the rotation closely 03.  Matt comes in and plays with Henry.  Wally is typically paired with Luke.  Wojo did this exact same thing in the GTown game.  What I'm sensing is that coach is working up those combos so the pairs get familiar with each other.  Better ball movement, better D.  For Matt especially, familiarity and playing as you practice is making him effective in his short runs.  I wouldn't expect Matt to get second half minutes right now if Luke goes off but there's no doubt at all that the young kid is improving.

I get the rotations and even the Wally/Luke paring, but I think more than anything Wally brings energy and a coolness that some times gets lost with the other guys.

feedback