Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Friar thoughts  (Read 16282 times)

Eldon

• All American
Re: Friar thoughts
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2016, 08:40:49 PM »
Myron Medcalf
ESPN Staff Writer

And Marquette wins at Providence after NBA prospect Henry Ellenson blocks NBA prospect Kris Dunn's final shot. Again, this Marquette squad lost to Georgetown and Seton Hall by 30 points combined, I'm from Milwaukee so I should know. And now the Golden Eagles, who are from my home city of Milwaukee, just grabbed a road win over a top-10 team and Big East contender. That's the Big East. So strong.

He updated his blurb

brandx

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2016, 08:41:14 PM »
Anyone notice Dunn had 7 TO's? Seems like a lot for NBA prospect.

That is Dunn's weakness. Always has been.

connie

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2016, 08:43:50 PM »
We are a young, talented team, and along with the low-lows, it feels soooo good to hit the highs!
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2016, 08:44:54 PM »
MU defense much better than MU offense. Worst offensive efficiency game by PC all year. Free throw rate mattered tonight.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2016, 08:45:17 PM »
We definately benefited from Fazekes coming back.

The guy who played 5 minutes?  That'd be like saying they really benefited from Matt Heldt playing.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2016, 08:47:30 PM »
I thought for several important minutes after Wojo freaked after a call (and the ref went after Duane in the huddle), the refs tone seemed to change a bit and it helped us. Time for another extension and raise, IMO!

Agreed.  Noticed that too.  The next play we got a charge call that would no doubt have been called a block if not for that moment (because it was Dunn driving).
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2016, 08:47:42 PM »
The biggest thing is the way we fought back when down 58-50.  At that point, I thought we were done, more likely to lose by 15-20 than win.  I was very impressed with that finish. 

Now we need to keep that intensity and beat SJU comfortably.

Down 8, I posted "what's this fork sticking out of our gut?" in the game chat. Huge finish and tenacity by this team. Totally thought we were done.

Now beat SJU and we are back to .500 in conference. Really feel revitalized after that win, especially the way we won the game.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2016, 08:48:59 PM »
I know he didn't play a lot, but really liked how Heldt handled his minutes.  I like how he is developing. 

Now if he can just learn to set screens without fouling.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2016, 08:50:14 PM »
Every year everyone claims it is a down year in college basketball.  ::)

Agreed.  I actually think this is a VERY good year for college basketball.  Oklahoma, Kansas, and UNC are all really good for any year.  Michigan State with a healthy Valentine too.  Maryland, Arizona, Virginia, Iowa State, Villinova, Xavier, and Iowa are solid.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2016, 08:51:36 PM »
Think he could not really see with the triple team

When they went to the MU timeout, coaches said three times--"Not Dunn; anybody but Dunn" or something to that effect

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2016, 08:56:23 PM »
HUGE WIN!   WHAT A COMEBACK AFTER THEY HAD GONE FLAT FOR A FEW MINUTES.
1.  If Providence is a top 10 team, then college basketball is down this year.
2.  28 minutes of solid, a few minutes of bad, and then back to really good.   Leadership finally shown.
3.  Offensive rebounding?   Anyone?    (crickets)
4.  What is Carter's A/TO ratio in conference?    Ah, well, gotta keep riding him.  It's not like he is the only one making careless turnovers. 
5.  MU's bigs are only mediums in conference.
6.  When Luke sits, Henry doesn't go to the low block, so it is more like a 5-out/0-in.
7.  MU hit a decent % of free throws.   Just seemed to miss ones we needed. 
8.  Haanif has a bright future.  More confidence in his 3 pt shot and a pull up jumper and watch out.
9.  Henry, Sandy, JJ, Duane, Haanif with a great run to turn the game back around.
10.  Zone was effective.  Quick and interchangeable on the perimeter.   Rebounding an issue, but it is in the man defense, too.     
11.  The zone was phenomenal  on the last possession.   
12.  MU played 35 solid minutes against a good team on the road.   It is rare for a young team to give up a lead on the road, play that flat for 5 minutes, regroup and overcome a deficit.   Nearly unprecedented in my memories of MU basketball.   

Oh, hell yeah!
Tower, you put together a different list of thoughts for two boards....that's impressive.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2016, 08:58:30 PM »
When they went to the MU timeout, coaches said three times--"Not Dunn; anybody but Dunn" or something to that effect

Wojo with some nice adjustments...Wojo called out that Ellenson high-low to Luke play as well as as mixing up the defense on Dunn on the last shot  coming out of the time out.  Was more of a box and one scheme I thought. 

Da 'Lanche

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2016, 09:00:02 PM »
Kudos to Wojo and his staff.  Had the team prepared, motivated and executing a great game plan out of the gate.  Sounds stupid, but great use of timeouts.  Substitution patterns were great and let players get through their mistakes.   Great adjustment to the zone (and gave credit to Boeheim and USA basketball  learnings post game).  Finally, to have them reverse a late 8 point deficit after leading all game speaks volumes about character...which reflects leadership.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2016, 09:23:27 PM »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2016, 09:24:41 PM »
Most underrated thing from the end of the game.  The team knew exactly what they were doing defensively, even before the timeout.  A lot of times you'll see even experienced teams get caught up in scoring to take a late lead and the other team is able to push it and catch the defense out of position.  All 5 guys got back and got into the zone quickly before Providence could push it.

Young Warriors growing up.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2016, 09:31:04 PM »
First game I didn't watch this year. Guess I'm gonna take one for the team and not watch anymore.

We're 3 games in and already lost a game we shouldn't have and won a game we shouldn't have as well. The sEason checklist is foolproof.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2016, 09:38:09 PM »
The guy who played 5 minutes?  That'd be like saying they really benefited from Matt Heldt playing.

Except that in those five minutes Fazekas jacked up four 3s that missed badly.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2016, 09:39:16 PM »
Except that in those five minutes Fazekas jacked up four 3s that missed badly.

One was at the buzzer of the first half and Matt missed 1 shot in his 5 minutes.  So he missed an extra 2 shots.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2016, 09:42:26 PM »
One was at the buzzer of the first half and Matt missed 1 shot in his 5 minutes.  So he missed an extra 2 shots.

Either one of which could have changed the outcome.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2016, 09:47:05 PM »
Either one of which could have changed the outcome.

So could have 1 of Bullock's 8 misses, Lindsey's 0-3 from deep, etc.

I just don't think a guy who played 5 minutes had a huge difference in the outcome of the game.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2016, 09:53:14 PM »
I know he didn't play a lot, but really liked how Heldt handled his minutes.  I like how he is developing. 

I agree, I think it will really help as the season progress.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2016, 09:56:30 PM »
So could have 1 of Bullock's 8 misses, Lindsey's 0-3 from deep, etc.

I just don't think a guy who played 5 minutes had a huge difference in the outcome of the game.

Nobody said it made a huge difference.  Bilsu simply said we benefited from him coming back, and I agreed.

You don't think a guy going 0-4 benefited us?  Guess we'll have to disagree.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2016, 10:07:38 PM »

At the buzzer when they had the ball dribbling out the clock and set up the drive and kick for open corner 3.

You make it sound like he heaved up a desperation shot lol

It's not null and void. He takes that anytime....as exhibited by his second half brick on the exact same shot.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2016, 10:12:18 PM »
You don't think a guy going 0-4 benefited us?  Guess we'll have to disagree.

And that guy being a 47% 3pt shooter (a little lower after today), when the team averages 30-some-%

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2016, 10:16:30 PM »
Which Marquette team shows up this weekend and for the rest of the season?

The one that got blown out by Iowa and lost to Belmont, Georgetown and Seton Hall?

The one that defeated Wisconsin, Providence, LSU and Arizona State, all on the road?

I lighting a novena light tonight for the latter.

feedback