[Today at 08:45:28 AM]

MU all-time defensive team? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:44:45 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MUbiz
[Today at 08:32:42 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by MU82
[June 19, 2024, 08:33:32 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hoya thoughts  (Read 23584 times)

WarriorFan

• All American
Re: Hoya thoughts
« Reply #100 on: January 03, 2016, 04:39:04 PM »
Wojo is quickly learning the difference between ACC tough and BEAST tough.  Soon he'll stop walking past 6'7 240-250 pounders during his recruiting visits.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #101 on: January 03, 2016, 05:22:08 PM »
Or muscular JUCO's with chips on their shoulders and attitudes.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #102 on: January 03, 2016, 06:03:59 PM »
Wojo is quickly learning the difference between ACC tough and BEAST tough.  Soon he'll stop walking past 6'7 240-250 pounders during his recruiting visits.
Bingo! Absolutely...made them look soft as butter. There is no 3rd bruiser up front.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #103 on: January 03, 2016, 06:06:39 PM »
Wojo acts like a hard-ass and wants their identity to be a tough/competitive team but so far in this young Big East season it is apparent that our opponents are much tougher, both physically and mentally. And that is on the coach and his approach to preparing the team. Wojo, the staff and the players need to man the F up.

Just win baby.
This is nuts....you are still in the foundational phase of his program. Go sit down. They are fine. They are only behind in the physical tough part that even took Buzz Williams two or three years to instill in his program as I am sure it took even Tom Izzo at MSU....its a process.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #104 on: January 03, 2016, 06:11:18 PM »
I wonder if the two bigs give the Warriors their most competitive line-up. That is, does the big line-up have enough speed and efficiency to be competitive in the Big East? As correctly underlined by many, the BE is a physical, fast, urban league that leans heavy on guards.

Or, said in another way, should Coach Wojo more tightly define the roles of his two bigs?

I don't pretend to know the answer. However, the second half run, keyed by the defence, only had one of the two bigs in the game. Once the second big came back into the game, the Warriors went flat.

Define "Urban?" Please...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #105 on: January 03, 2016, 06:11:40 PM »
Bingo! Absolutely...made them look soft as butter. There is no bruiser up front.

FIFY
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #106 on: January 03, 2016, 06:19:35 PM »

No you and I are on the same page.  There are just other people saying "he's not playing like a AA" or "HE is overrated" and it annoys me.  I expected him to be a freshman with growing pains.
Not as the #2 rated PF in the entire country you didn't...He has had 10 non conference games. Kentucky even looked at him. In fact it came down to either here or there. He has to step up ...quickly or he will be looked at as such.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #107 on: January 03, 2016, 06:29:27 PM »
Watch some tape of Sandy from last season. Noticeably stronger this year.
Um.....no he's not... I agree with the quote. No he is not. None of them are.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #108 on: January 03, 2016, 06:29:53 PM »
For the first time in his life, Henry is facing defenders as big as he is, as quick as he is, stronger than he is, more physical than he is.   There is going to be an adjustment.   It isn't easy right now.  I expect that he will adjust and get better.     But this, too, was predictable.   The preseason expectations from so many MU fans for this kid and this team were simply unrealistic. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #109 on: January 03, 2016, 06:54:41 PM »
I know them well.  Good friend of mine is a scout for them and I've interviewed the owner for Cracked Sidewalks on several occasions.  He's still shaking his head over Vander's decision......that's for you MU82.   ;)

Uh ... thanks?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #110 on: January 03, 2016, 07:32:45 PM »
For the first time in his life, Henry is facing defenders as big as he is, as quick as he is, stronger than he is, more physical than he is.   There is going to be an adjustment.   It isn't easy right now.  I expect that he will adjust and get better.     But this, too, was predictable.   The preseason expectations from so many MU fans for this kid and this team were simply unrealistic.
My expectations were a lot less than many. I felt his trajectory was a four year player and Big East Player of the Year as a senior. Still feel that is about right.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

warriorfan 14

• Starter
« Reply #111 on: January 03, 2016, 08:26:43 PM »
if henry is for sure one and done i have to question what was even the point on wasting 2 scholarships on him when our team sucks anyway. seems like a waste

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #112 on: January 03, 2016, 08:36:13 PM »
if henry is for sure one and done i have to question what was even the point on wasting 2 scholarships on him when our team sucks anyway. seems like a waste

Sure we shouldn't call you "rodentfan 14"?

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #113 on: January 03, 2016, 08:38:27 PM »

Ha! Exactly.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #114 on: January 03, 2016, 08:46:20 PM »
Not as the #2 rated PF in the entire country you didn't...He has had 10 non conference games. Kentucky even looked at him. In fact it came down to either here or there. He has to step up ...quickly or he will be looked at as such.

Actually yes I do. You apparently haven't seen that a number of Kentucky freshmen struggle too. If you have different expectations, that's not Henry's problem.

warriorfan 14

• Starter
« Reply #115 on: January 03, 2016, 09:39:51 PM »

cute....but didn't respond to my thought at all.

hopefully henry stays, but his shot selection certainly looks like he has his mind on another level. with how bad this team is right now, i'd rather have another 4 year freshman. might as well play for the future as this looks like yet another rebuilding year

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #116 on: January 03, 2016, 09:47:12 PM »
cute....but didn't respond to my thought at all.

hopefully henry stays, but his shot selection certainly looks like he has his mind on another level. with how bad this team is right now, i'd rather have another 4 year freshman. might as well play for the future as this looks like yet another rebuilding year
You are correct Henry is all about Henry. When he focuses on the team he will actually become a much better player.
            ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #117 on: January 03, 2016, 09:49:51 PM »
You are correct Henry is all about Henry.

Ridiculous statement.  A freshman with poor shot selection doesn't mean selfish.

I can't believe some of the stuff I read here.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 09:54:23 PM by The Sultan of Sunshine »

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #118 on: January 03, 2016, 09:56:41 PM »
Just back from game, had great seats behind bench. 

. Last thing, some may get on Carter, but he was the only vocal one calling out his teammates, urging them on like a mad man, especially in first half.  Didn't know if any of it was caught on camera.  Good for him.

I seen that, and though Finally maybe a glint of some type of leadership!

Thanks for Posting.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #119 on: January 03, 2016, 10:00:41 PM »
Ridiculous statement.  A freshman with poor shot selection doesn't mean selfish.

I can't believe some of the stuff I read here.
He is one of the more selfish players I have seen in some time. He played the same way before college. Everyone in the house knows he is going to shoot the minute he gets the ball. That is one of the reasons his production has been poor against the better teams.

He is using our program as an attempt to showcase for himself, that is why he came here. I don't attribute it to freshman growing pains.

Wojo needs to grow a set of cajones and treat him the same way he treats JJJ. Bench him when he misses a shot.
            ---Al McGuire

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #120 on: January 03, 2016, 10:01:28 PM »
Define "Urban?" Please...

Untraditional

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #121 on: January 03, 2016, 10:10:20 PM »
He is one of the more selfish players I have seen in some time. He played the same way before college. Everyone in the house knows he is going to shoot the minute he gets the ball. That is one of the reasons his production has been poor against the better teams.

He is using our program as an attempt to showcase for himself, that is why he came here. I don't attribute it to freshman growing pains.

Wojo needs to grow a set of cajones and treat him the same way he treats JJJ. Bench him when he misses a shot.

Doubling down on ridiculousness.

Maybe Wojo should treat him differently, but I don't see much evidence that he doesn't care about the team and is all about Henry.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #122 on: January 03, 2016, 10:26:51 PM »
Doubling down on ridiculousness.

Maybe Wojo should treat him differently, but I don't see much evidence that he doesn't care about the team and is all about Henry.

Next game carefully watch how many times he looks for an open man before shooting. Seriously there are guys wide open on the wings almost every time he forces some of his silly shots.   He appears to me the type of kid who doesn't care if we lose as long as he got "his".  Wojo just got his six year deal so he should actually be a lot more of disciplinarian with this kid. It will earn him a thousand times more credibly than going on the radio with Homer and ripping Fischer.
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #123 on: January 03, 2016, 10:48:19 PM »
Next game carefully watch how many times he looks for an open man before shooting. Seriously there are guys wide open on the wings almost every time he forces some of his silly shots.   He appears to me the type of kid who doesn't care if we lose as long as he got "his".  Wojo just got his six year deal so he should actually be a lot more of disciplinarian with this kid. It will earn him a thousand times more credibly than going on the radio with Homer and ripping Fischer.

What did Wojo say about Fischer? Assuming you don't have a photographic memory, a reasonable paraphrase will do.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #124 on: January 03, 2016, 10:57:43 PM »
He appears to me the type of kid who doesn't care if we lose as long as he got "his". 

lol