'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hoya thoughts  (Read 23386 times)

willie warrior

• All American
Re: Hoya thoughts
« Reply #150 on: January 04, 2016, 03:12:15 PM »
You do not bench a potential one & done, if you want to recruit more one & dones.
I would generally agree with this. However, one must question if his shooting, decision making and interior defense are one and done quality. He has a lot of potential but also a lot to learn.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #151 on: January 04, 2016, 03:34:15 PM »
What I am saying is what is good for the goose is good for the gander. JJJ was a highly touted recruit with exceptional skills. Nonetheless, he made bad decisions and found his way to the bench . JJJ is now making much better decisions and playing within the structure the coach has devised. I think Henry deserves similar treatment. He has terrible shot selection, makes a lot of bad choices and it is my point of view that he is showcasing himself at the expense of the team. Coach Wojo is willing to point the finger of blame at everyone else on the team except Henry, who is sacrosanct.

Fine. It seems your philosophy has changed. But, you must now admit this. You must state one of 2 things.

1) You were wrong on Wojo last season, or at least support his decision-making therefore you have no problem with his benching JJJ last year and so now must also do the same to Henry.

*or*

2) You were right that Wojo should never have benched JJJ and therefore now shouldn't be benching Henry.

Which is it going to be?

Because if you believe that JJJ shouldn't have been benched last year, but since Wojo did anyway, that he must bench Henry this year - even to the detriment of the team - then you're just a petty person with a VERY clear bias.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #152 on: January 04, 2016, 03:45:48 PM »
Probably not, but I am not giving up 2 games into the season. Still a lot of ball to be played, and until they hit the 9 loss mark in the BE, I am not losing hope.

I'm with you.  It ain't over 'till it's over.

But even with 9 BE losses, it won't be over until we also lose in the BET.  Given all the youth on this team, anything is possible.  On the one hand, the young guys could wear down and get worse late in the season...or they could come together just in time for NYC.

Da 'Lanche

• All American
« Reply #153 on: January 04, 2016, 04:11:42 PM »
You do not bench a potential one & done, if you want to recruit more one & dones.

You do not bench a potential one & done, if you want to give your team the best chance to win, period.   

Any of the mudslingers on the board feel Henry was being too selfish when he took over late in the UW game?   nah...didn't think so.   

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #154 on: January 04, 2016, 05:11:09 PM »
Fine. It seems your philosophy has changed. But, you must now admit this. You must state one of 2 things.

1) You were wrong on Wojo last season, or at least support his decision-making therefore you have no problem with his benching JJJ last year and so now must also do the same to Henry.

*or*

2) You were right that Wojo should never have benched JJJ and therefore now shouldn't be benching Henry.

Which is it going to be?

Because if you believe that JJJ shouldn't have been benched last year, but since Wojo did anyway, that he must bench Henry this year - even to the detriment of the team - then you're just a petty person with a VERY clear bias.
I would be more along the line of the second half of point 1 as outlined above.  The benching of JJJ came with a clear set of missions of how Wojo wanted him to play. As we have seen since then JJJ has been delivering on what Wojo has asked of him.  He worked doggedly this summer to improve his shot and his been a model citizen. 

I believe Wojo needs to take a similar type of approach with Henry. Focus him on shots in the short to mid range etc. When Henry deviates from that, I would like to see Wojo make a big show of it , just like he does with everyone else, stand up and pull the substitute off the bench to go in for him for  a series. Take Henry down a notch,  it will be in the best interest of Henry and the team.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #155 on: January 04, 2016, 09:56:27 PM »
I would be more along the line of the second half of point 1 as outlined above.  The benching of JJJ came with a clear set of missions of how Wojo wanted him to play. As we have seen since then JJJ has been delivering on what Wojo has asked of him.  He worked doggedly this summer to improve his shot and his been a model citizen. 

I believe Wojo needs to take a similar type of approach with Henry. Focus him on shots in the short to mid range etc. When Henry deviates from that, I would like to see Wojo make a big show of it , just like he does with everyone else, stand up and pull the substitute off the bench to go in for him for  a series. Take Henry down a notch,  it will be in the best interest of Henry and the team.

OK ... and I'll take one more stab at the question you've ignored at least a half-dozen other times ...

Why did you repeatedly and seriously overstate Wojo's comments about Luke in an attempt to make a point about Henry?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #156 on: January 04, 2016, 10:09:29 PM »

So you still disagree with Wojo's treatment of JJJ yet you want him to apply that treatment to Henry. Wow.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #157 on: January 04, 2016, 11:09:08 PM »
So you still disagree with Wojo's treatment of JJJ yet you want him to apply that treatment to Henry. Wow.
I get that you disagree with me. But actually take two seconds to read my response that is not what I said.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #158 on: January 05, 2016, 12:28:34 AM »
I get that you disagree with me. But actually take two seconds to read my response that is not what I said.

Either you feel Wojo is treating his players correctly or you feel he should treat all his players the same because you feel JJJ was slighted.

Wojo did the correct thing last year, IMO. And he's doing the correct thing this year, IMO. JJJ is playing much better this year. Was it what Wojo did? Maybe, maybe not. But the results are there.

Henry is far and away our best 4. JJJ wasn't the best 2/3 last year. That's why Henry is playing this year and JJJ wasn't last year.

It's not a disagreement. You're just too close to JJJ or for other reasons too biased.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 12:30:37 AM by jesmu84 »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #159 on: January 05, 2016, 08:37:07 AM »
OK ... and I'll take one more stab at the question you've ignored at least a half-dozen other times ...

Why did you repeatedly and seriously overstate Wojo's comments about Luke in an attempt to make a point about Henry?

Not only that, why does he insist on linking Henry's apparent "selfishness" with Wojo's coaching of Henry and JJJ.  It is an illogical argument.

feedback