[September 20, 2024, 07:45:48 PM]

Big East 2024 -25 Results by Herman Cain
[September 20, 2024, 06:05:27 PM]

TK/Oso Summer League by MU82
[September 20, 2024, 12:31:28 PM]

Excellent Mr Dodds Interview with Ben Gold by Herman Cain
[September 20, 2024, 08:52:59 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: B&G Scrimmage

Marquette
Marquette

B&G Scrimmage

Date/Time: Oct 5, 2024 11:00am
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hoya thoughts  (Read 24835 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Hoya thoughts
« Reply #75 on: January 03, 2016, 09:37:36 AM »
I can't speak to what "people" were expecting, only this one particular people that is me.

I actually had fairly low expectations. I had never seen him play one second before I watched the Belmont game, and I am a skeptic at heart so I thought he was probably overhyped.

I then watched each of our games and attended the Brooklyn event in person. And, yes, I was generally impressed with his offensive versatility and basketball IQ. By the end of November, I wasn't expecting 20 and 15 but I was expecting 16 and 10, and he mostly has delivered.

I like to think I'm not "complaining about his game," just discussing my observations. Saying he needs to improve his man-to-man defense, isn't effective as a wing in our zone defense and should probably be taking fewer 3s is not "complaining." Every player can improve -- Jordan was still improving into his 30s -- and I expect Henry will.

I think most of our fellow Scoopers do similar "complaining." We want Henry to do well and the team to succeed. Just because we discuss what we see doesn't mean we are bitchin'.

Now, I grant you that some are, but I think they are in the distinct minority. I hope so, anyway.

No you and I are on the same page.  There are just other people saying "he's not playing like a AA" or "HE is overrated" and it annoys me.  I expected him to be a freshman with growing pains.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #76 on: January 03, 2016, 09:43:10 AM »
According to Pomeroy, MU is the lowest ranked offense in conference play. Lowest in eFG%, 2P%, but fastest in tempo. Defensively, MU is sixth (106.7), #1 in steal percent and #2 in turnover rate. (Butler's defensive efficiency is a whopping (124.5)). Again, only two games but MU has at least played two halves of decent defense in league play, despite playing no halves of offense.

Wojo's style of play is finesse-driven on offense and defense. That is how he is recruiting. The team is green and immature. This is an urban, physical league in contrast, not the old ACC. Until these guys mature and grow, both physically and mentally, there will be ups and downs. The number one thing now is that MU is too predictable on offense, opponents have been able target and out physical our strengths, and we have guys trying to make things happen on their own. MU needs to find their team identity pretty quickly, unfortunately.

MU has the talent, but they need to learn, adjust and adapt--or die. Wojo in his presser after the game was at a loss of why they were not ready to start, and I know he was frustrated after a tough conference start, but it is time for his leadership and answers. PC is another tough one upcoming with a quick turnaround. This league is brutal and unforgiving, especially on a young, inexperienced roster.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2016, 09:49:14 AM »
MU has the talent, but they need to learn, adjust and adapt--or die. Wojo in his presser after the game was at a loss of why they were not ready to start, and I know he was frustrated after a tough conference start, but it is time for his leadership and answers. PC is another tough one upcoming with a quick turnaround. This league is brutal and unforgiving, especially on a young, inexperienced roster.

I am very skeptical that PC is going to be a positive outcome.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #78 on: January 03, 2016, 09:55:02 AM »

I am very skeptical that PC is going to be a positive outcome.

I am too, but I'm curious if playing a much smaller providence roster will allow us to utilize more of our strengths. Providence isn't as good as their record suggests IMHO
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #79 on: January 03, 2016, 10:00:26 AM »

Wojo's style of play is finesse-driven on offense and defense. That is how he is recruiting.

You've hit the root of my largest concern.  Its becoming clear that this will be another rebuilding year.  While I, like most, am impatient I can live with another rebuilding year if they'll be a payoff.  We need to view Buzz's departure almost as if he was fired for non-performance.  If you look at it that way (which is similar to what Cooley encountered at Providence) then a team isn't competitive until its 3rd season.  But Cooley built a tough urban team that can win in the BE.  Its not always about getting the highest rated players, Buzz showed us that.  Duke can win with a certain style of player because they are getting the top 5-10 nationally of that style.  MU will never recruit at that level.  So will the style of players Wojo wants to recruit be able to win in this knife fight style league.  I'm a little worried.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2016, 10:00:48 AM »
I am too, but I'm curious if playing a much smaller providence roster will allow us to utilize more of our strengths. Providence isn't as good as their record suggests IMHO

Here's hoping, because in Charlotte our MU group has scheduled a co-watching party with the Providence group. So there will be much banter and trash-talking ... and I'm pretty sure we Warriors will be on the receiving end.

I have been reading for at least a month now that PC isn't as good as its record suggests. Maybe one of these days, that will be proven!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” - George Washington

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #81 on: January 03, 2016, 10:08:49 AM »
HE is 16/10 guy right now.  He shoots more than anyone on this team by far.  He is shooting 42% from the floor and 26% from 3. If HE is a 'good' 3 point shooter as some have called him--he needs to make more or take less of them. His D is bad. Wojo will continue to allow HE to do what he wants, so this years team needs him for that reason--regardless of incoming expectaions.
IMO, his baseline play from inside of 15' is where he is most dominant.

UticaBusBarn

• Team Captain
« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2016, 10:09:53 AM »
I wonder if the two bigs give the Warriors their most competitive line-up. That is, does the big line-up have enough speed and efficiency to be competitive in the Big East? As correctly underlined by many, the BE is a physical, fast, urban league that leans heavy on guards.

Or, said in another way, should Coach Wojo more tightly define the roles of his two bigs?

I don't pretend to know the answer. However, the second half run, keyed by the defence, only had one of the two bigs in the game. Once the second big came back into the game, the Warriors went flat.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2016, 10:11:10 AM »
You've hit the root of my largest concern.  Its becoming clear that this will be another rebuilding year.  While I, like most, am impatient I can live with another rebuilding year if they'll be a payoff.  We need to view Buzz's departure almost as if he was fired for non-performance.  If you look at it that way (which is similar to what Cooley encountered at Providence) then a team isn't competitive until its 3rd season.  But Cooley built a tough urban team that can win in the BE.  Its not always about getting the highest rated players, Buzz showed us that.  Duke can win with a certain style of player because they are getting the top 5-10 nationally of that style.  MU will never recruit at that level.  So will the style of players Wojo wants to recruit be able to win in this knife fight style league.  I'm a little worried.

Part of this IMO is a body-type issue.  I mentioned this after Seton Hall, but we have a lot of slender players.  Some of whom Wojo inherited no doubt.  Duane, JJJ and Juan were all tough, urban players, but they are slight.  Luke, Sandy and Haanif aren't exactly bulky either.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2016, 11:24:52 AM »
Wojo's presser from yesterday.

<a href="http://youtu.be/xeTe_RSLDH8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://youtu.be/xeTe_RSLDH8</a>

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2016, 11:34:39 AM »
I can't speak to what "people" were expecting, only this one particular people that is me.

I actually had fairly low expectations. I had never seen him play one second before I watched the Belmont game, and I am a skeptic at heart so I thought he was probably overhyped.

I then watched each of our games and attended the Brooklyn event in person. And, yes, I was generally impressed with his offensive versatility and basketball IQ. By the end of November, I wasn't expecting 20 and 15 but I was expecting 16 and 10, and he mostly has delivered.

I like to think I'm not "complaining about his game," just discussing my observations. Saying he needs to improve his man-to-man defense, isn't effective as a wing in our zone defense and should probably be taking fewer 3s is not "complaining." Every player can improve -- Jordan was still improving into his 30s -- and I expect Henry will.

I think most of our fellow Scoopers do similar "complaining." We want Henry to do well and the team to succeed. Just because we discuss what we see doesn't mean we are bitchin'.

Now, I grant you that some are, but I think they are in the distinct minority. I hope so, anyway.

+1

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2016, 11:36:35 AM »
Lol. You're on a roll tonight.

Is he wrong?  I guess it only takes one team to prove he is wrong, but right now...is he wrong?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2016, 11:41:54 AM »
Is he wrong?  I guess it only takes one team to prove he is wrong, but right now...is he wrong?

Considering I have yet to see any mock draft out there that has him anywhere outside of a top 10 pick, have seen multiple where he's approaching a top 5 pick, have heard multiple stories of NBA scouts drooling over him this season, and there have been 20+ NBA scouts in the stands of multiple games with him being the main reason, yes, he is wrong.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #88 on: January 03, 2016, 11:53:43 AM »
Considering I have yet to see any mock draft out there that has him anywhere outside of a top 10 pick, have seen multiple where he's approaching a top 5 pick, have heard multiple stories of NBA scouts drooling over him this season, and there have been 20+ NBA scouts in the stands of multiple games with him being the main reason, yes, he is wrong.

We will see if that changes as more body of work comes in, who actually declares, etc.  Many of those projections are like early season rankings, they just don't mean much right now.  Later, sure, but not right now.

Most have Henry above Diamond Stone right now....do you think that will change?  Most have Valentine behind Henry, do you think that will change. 

Just to note, NBA Draft Net has him not as a lottery pick and down at 22.  DraftExpress hasn't updated anything since Dec 18th.  Walter group does not have him as a lottery pick and they haven't updated since Dec. 8th.  Others have him in.  We'll see.  I hope he has the year to make it happen.  Really like the kid, he's working hard, but with my eyes sure looks like he needs strength, a lot of work on his outside shot and on defense.  Has to get quicker, more explosive as well.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #89 on: January 03, 2016, 11:57:41 AM »
Don't pay much attention to NBA Draft Net.  Not considered a real reliable site.

When DraftExpress updates, that will give you a clearer picture.  Very connected site and is usually pretty accurate.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #90 on: January 03, 2016, 12:02:13 PM »
The Georgetown game was the first time I thought Henry might not go pro, because he was physically getting beaten up. Having an off shooting game is not going to effect Henry's decision, but he may not be mentally willing to take the daily beating in the NBA.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #91 on: January 03, 2016, 12:24:56 PM »
Don't pay much attention to NBA Draft Net.  Not considered a real reliable site.

When DraftExpress updates, that will give you a clearer picture.  Very connected site and is usually pretty accurate.

I know them well.  Good friend of mine is a scout for them and I've interviewed the owner for Cracked Sidewalks on several occasions.  He's still shaking his head over Vander's decision......that's for you MU82.   ;)

AZMarqfan

• Starter
« Reply #92 on: January 03, 2016, 01:13:19 PM »
I really liked seeing how Cohen attacked the rim a few times.  3 dunks in one game....haven't seen that since Wade??  Glad to see him avoid settling for 3's. 

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #93 on: January 03, 2016, 01:29:06 PM »
I thought Wally gave us some toughness on defense and liked his offensive contribution

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #94 on: January 03, 2016, 02:24:12 PM »

Neither are we.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #95 on: January 03, 2016, 02:41:56 PM »
I know them well.  Good friend of mine is a scout for them and I've interviewed the owner for Cracked Sidewalks on several occasions.  He's still shaking his head over Vander's decision......that's for you MU82.   ;)

A scout for Draftexpress.com? Really? Now there's a big job. What do they give him, a premium sport's package and control of the clicker? Hilarious.

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #96 on: January 03, 2016, 03:18:03 PM »
Need to play with a little fire right out of the gate. I don't know why this isn't happening, seems counter to what Wojo wants the culture to be. I see a general lack of toughness, how do you remedy that? I don't know if you can teach that?

Hubert Davis

• Starter
« Reply #97 on: January 03, 2016, 04:06:12 PM »
Wojo acts like a hard-ass and wants their identity to be a tough/competitive team but so far in this young Big East season it is apparent that our opponents are much tougher, both physically and mentally. And that is on the coach and his approach to preparing the team. Wojo, the staff and the players need to man the F up.

Just win baby.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #98 on: January 03, 2016, 04:09:57 PM »
Wojo acts like a hard-ass and wants their identity to be a tough/competitive team but so far in this young Big East season it is apparent that our opponents are much tougher, both physically and mentally. And that is on the coach and his approach to preparing the team. Wojo, the staff and the players need to man the F up.

Just win baby.

I thought you died, then you had to enter Jerrah Jones body.  Damn it!!!

Da 'Lanche

• All American
« Reply #99 on: January 03, 2016, 04:25:25 PM »
2 Big East games...two good halves and two bad halves.  I see it that simply....put two good halves together....tough, consistent 40 minutes of basketball and we will be fine.  Young teams and coaches tend to be inconsistent.  The bad halves bring out the doom reactions...the good halves should give us some hope...still lots of basketball left in this season.