Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hoya thoughts  (Read 23297 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Hoya thoughts
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2016, 07:05:11 PM »

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2016, 07:07:16 PM »
The boys played hard today. Could have folded when down 19 but pulled back. Make some bunnies and a few more at the line and it's a one possession game. Luke and Henry need to finish down low, but they were fouled multiple times w no calls.

Sorta need to be beat providence now. Losing 3 of 7 or 8 allowable losses would be a tough pill to swallow 3 games in, but the reality is that this team is likely still a year away. Sucks to admit it, but I'm not giving up. Still think the talent is there to win 10 or 11.

No more scoop til Monday am for me.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2016, 07:08:17 PM »
Sandy had a nice second half.   I was glad to see Wojo throw his arms in the air after Duanes off balance 17 ft runner and replace him with JJ.   I was happier to see JJ take advantage.   I would have been subbing Luke and Henry offense/defense down the stretch.   Can't just sit Luke the last 5 minutes. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GE911

• Walk-On
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2016, 07:14:05 PM »
4-14, like last year, may be realistic.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2016, 07:14:37 PM »
JJJ had an awesome steal during the run.
He had two awesome steals.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2016, 07:16:29 PM »
The boys played hard today. Could have folded when down 19 but pulled back. Make some bunnies and a few more at the line and it's a one possession game. Luke and Henry need to finish down low, but they were fouled multiple times w no calls.

Sorta need to be beat providence now. Losing 3 of 7 or 8 allowable losses would be a tough pill to swallow 3 games in, but the reality is that this team is likely still a year away. Sucks to admit it, but I'm not giving up. Still think the talent is there to win 10 or 11.

No more scoop til Monday am for me.

No way 10 or 11. I think 8 would be great at this point.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2016, 07:17:05 PM »
JJJ was very effective tonight when he got the opportunity. I think it is in our best interests to give him some more run. Not perfect by any means but he adds a dimension of speed and quickness that we don't have in any other player. I think he and Sandy make a nice combination.

Are you related to JJJ?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2016, 07:19:32 PM »
Are you related to JJJ?

Ask the more important question.    Are you related to Ners?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2016, 07:20:14 PM »
No way 10 or 11. I think 8 would be great at this point.

Perhaps, but it's gonna take 10 minimum to dance. That's always my goal. Two losses don't change that...yet. But it's very unlikely at this point, unfortunately.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2016, 07:27:19 PM »
Perhaps, but it's gonna take 10 minimum to dance. That's always my goal. Two losses don't change that...yet. But it's very unlikely at this point, unfortunately.

Never expected this team to dance. Way to young. Getting some post season play in the NIT would be nice to build on.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2016, 07:28:10 PM »
MU is not going to make the dance this year. Right now they are not a good team and their McDonald All American is not playing like one. It's gonna be another long season, as the Big Eadt has a lot of good teams that we just do not match up against right now.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2016, 07:28:31 PM »
Just back from game, had great seats behind bench. 

The size and quickness of Georgetown players as opposed to MU is remarkable.  Everyone with exception of Carter are so much smaller in physical size.  A Georgetown fan sitting next to me even asked why MU has so many skinny kids and farm boys and asked didn't they recruit the city kids.  I told him one farm boy is a prep All American and he responded by saying "Tell that to Marcus (Derrickson).  Couldn't say much at that.... Don't know what rebounding margin was but sure it was Georgetown by a boatload. Cohen, Wilson, JJJ, Fischer, Cheatham all very lean. Amazing.

Never seen so many close-in misses by a bigman than Fischer has.  He has one shot and that is a little hook.  He has no face up shot and that it probably why he is a poor free throw shooter and the opposition knows that.  Wojo yelled at him something to the effect, "Can't you make anything" and sat him the last five minutes. 

Changing point in game was when MU down 8 with like 10 to go.  Henry missed a three, Fischer a hook, and Wilson had three or four drives that missed.  The whole time, Georgetown did not score.  Then Cohen fouled on three pointer, up by 12.  Very poor possessions and that was it.  Henry continues to shoot threes and probably around 20% for the year.

Again, MU won the turnover war big time, but lost the game just like SH.
Scoreboard said MU missed 9 free throws and Georgetown went 22 for 23.  Impressive, but 9 point difference.
DSR had last 12 Georgetown points.

Henry has the skill set, you can see it in a kid his size.  But his defense was horrible, that Derrickson killed him in first half and was so much stronger physically.  He continues to struggle, but you can see potential in his size and ability.

Last thing, some may get on Carter, but he was the only vocal one calling out his teammates, urging them on like a mad man, especially in first half.  Didn't know if any of it was caught on camera.  Good for him. 

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2016, 07:30:30 PM »
Tower, I've got to admit that I look forward to your "thoughts" posts and find that I agree with most of your observations. Like most of you, I am sure, I am frustrated with where we are and what we have done so far this year (I suppose I should confine that to BE play since the Sno-Balls were tasty).

A few "thoughts"of my own. Outrebounded again. Too many missed FT's.
Thought Traci had a good start but Wojo glued him to the bench in the second half after a couple (or more) blow-bys. Duane, God bless him, does take up the offense when o one else seems to want to, but a lot of his efforts seem out of control. Luke and HE were 8-26 - neither seems, at this point, to be able to finish with the kind of BE body contact (certainly not called today) that is par for the course. I wonder what their FG% is in BE vs. the cupcakes. Of course, all I had to do was criticize SCIII and Hani at halftime and they picked it up.

It just seems tat every time we need a key bucket, or stop, or rebound, it just doesn't happen. Growth will happen, but our tournament hopes are at this point delusional.

Will be able to see the squad at Prov on Tuesday - I'll root 'em on cuz they're my team. But I'll probably lay the points.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2016, 07:31:16 PM »

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2016, 07:38:37 PM »

Agree with nyg regarding HE shooting three's. He still thinks he is in HS. He has no business playing out there and he can't make them. Get near the basket and stop playing the perimeter. He is not using his size playing outside.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2016, 07:41:43 PM »
Ask the more important question.    Are you related to Ners?
He and Texas Western on game chat. 
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2016, 08:15:04 PM »
I think some changes need to be really considered in the SC program. Guys are not progressing.

JJJ looks the same as when he entered the program 3 years ago. Ditto for Duane. Luke is now 2 years in and I don't see much of an improvement in strength and athleticism.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2016, 08:20:32 PM »
He and Texas Western on game chat.

Starts thread about Dawson at Liberty...... wants JJ to get more time...... just a little over the top verbosity and I am sold. 

edit:   Just went through his posting history.   Now very skeptical.   
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 08:36:18 PM by tower912 »

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2016, 08:21:30 PM »
Derrickson was a tank. And he lost weight before the season!  I don't think Luke has seen any wide-bodies this year and he needs to learn to power up to the rim.  Henry has a good midrange jumper but didn't take it on several opportunities. Sandy wasn't really taking open 3's either. They all need to get back to doing the things they do best, just with a couple bodies hanging on them.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2016, 08:28:01 PM »
I think some changes need to be really considered in the SC program. Guys are not progressing.

JJJ looks the same as when he entered the program 3 years ago. Ditto for Duane. Luke is now 2 years in and I don't see much of an improvement in strength and athleticism.
In my opinion JJJ and DW are much improved.  Does anyone remember how awkward JJJ jump shot was his first year.  Vast improvement now.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2016, 08:36:33 PM »
In my opinion JJJ and DW are much improved.  Does anyone remember how awkward JJJ jump shot was his first year.  Vast improvement now.

My comment is on strength and conditioning only. I just don't see an improvement in the physique and strength from the returning guys.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2016, 08:39:03 PM »
My comment is on strength and conditioning only. I just don't see an improvement in the physique and strength from the returning guys.

Watch some tape of Sandy from last season. Noticeably stronger this year.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2016, 08:46:32 PM »

Sandy in high school:

Sandy this season:

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2016, 08:47:34 PM »

I agree on Sandy, but what about the others?

And, I believe this issue goes back a few years too. I didnt think Steve Taylor and Juan Anderson progressed all that much in terms of SC.

This was a staple of the program in the Crean and early Buzz years. Guys would transform themselves physically over their careers.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2016, 08:54:45 PM »
Dumb question but who is the strength and conditioning coach? Couldn't find it on the basketball site

feedback