Ranking Big East Centers by The Equalizer
[Today at 05:10:01 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by Hards Alumni
[Today at 05:06:39 PM]

Oso (and Stevie) by JakeBarnes
[Today at 02:42:16 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MU82
[Today at 01:56:13 PM]

New 2024 Committment According to Ben Steele: Joshua Clark by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 01:11:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Get a Freaking Grip  (Read 9320 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Get a Freaking Grip
« on: December 31, 2015, 10:48:08 AM »
Okay...lots of Chicken Littles after last night's loss. One loss and suddenly the team is too soft, they're out of their depth, Wojo can't coach, no one can shoot, and the sky has most certainly fallen. Man...feels like it's November 19 all over again. Have we really forgotten the last six weeks? I'd like to stop for a moment and consider the situation.
  • We were blown out at home after leading by 1 at the break. That tells me we can play with teams like SHU, we just had an abysmal half. It happens. Still just one loss.
  • The last time we had a loss like this (Iowa), Wojo was irate. Last night, Wojo was irate. Last time, we won our next seven, which included three high majors (LSU, ASU, UWM) and four cupcakes. This time, our next seven includes four high-majors and three cupcakes (SJU, DePaul, SJU). Let's see how they respond.
  • This is effectively Year One of a rebuilding project. 77 minutes were played by freshmen last night. And we were 13-19 last year. It won't all be seashells and balloons.
  • This is the Big East. Yes, we fattened up on cupcakes, but these games are tougher. The kids can learn from this.
  • Wojo's contract is irrelevant. Say it with me, THE CONTRACT DOESN'T MATTER. How many coaches see out their contracts? Marquette can still fire him, he can still leave before it's done, but it is good PR, shows a good relationship between the staff and management, and allows Wojo to walk into any recruit's house and say (true or not) I'll be at Marquette for your entire career. There is no downside except MU would have to pay more to make him go away.
  • During a 12-minute stretch in the second half, Seton Hall went on a 29-11 run that turned a 2-point lead into a 20-point lead. We had 12 bad minutes. Otherwise, we were right there. 12 bad minutes does not a season make.
  • Everyone has been saying all along this team will be much better in February and March than it will be in November and December. This team will have to adjust to the Big East. It's a step up. I still think they could beat SHU, Georgetown, DePaul, St. John's, and Creighton anywhere. And on the right night, they could beat anyone in the league.
  • Even if this isn't a tourney team (it likely isn't and never was) they still could get to the NIT or CBI, which would be a big step up from last year. Let's celebrate the positives of what we have (especially compared to last year) than throwing in the towel because of what we don't.
BOTTOM LINE: The rebuild is still just starting and we had a bad 12-minute stretch. The sky is still intact, we can still win games, and there's a lot of season left. This place is a lot more fun when we try to enjoy it.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Get a Freaking Grip
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 11:00:13 AM »
Didn't have time to read the post yet, but just by the thread title, at least somebody in here gets it.

We are fine.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 11:06:49 AM »
Totally agree-there will be ups and downs. The one big bummer is that if HE does leave after this year and we don't make any tourney waves (or even make the tourney), it will be a huge lost opportunity with a rare elite level talent. Can't worry about that too much though; just enjoy the ride while it lasts.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 11:08:13 AM »
Well said BC77
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 11:14:17 AM »
Didn't have time to read the post yet, but just by the thread title, at least somebody in here gets it.

We are fine.
We will be fine.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 11:17:18 AM »
Totally agree-there will be ups and downs. The one big bummer is that if HE does leave after this year and we don't make any tourney waves (or even make the tourney), it will be a huge lost opportunity with a rare elite level talent. Can't worry about that too much though; just enjoy the ride while it lasts.

I get that, but it's still the beginning of the rebuild. Having Haanif for three more years excites me. Having Rowsey come in next year. Seeing Duane and Luke as upperclassmen. There's still plenty to be excited about.

And either way, this is one game. We could win our next three and everything changes. This team has improved as the season went on. If they're playing their best ball in February and March, who knows how this season could end?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 11:22:11 AM »
This game could be the best thing that happens to them. 

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 11:29:20 AM »
Okay...lots of Chicken Littles after last night's loss. One loss and suddenly the team is too soft, they're out of their depth, Wojo can't coach, no one can shoot, and the sky has most certainly fallen. Man...feels like it's November 19 all over again. Have we really forgotten the last six weeks? I'd like to stop for a moment and consider the situation.
  • We were blown out at home after leading by 1 at the break. That tells me we can play with teams like SHU, we just had an abysmal half. It happens. Still just one loss.
  • The last time we had a loss like this (Iowa), Wojo was irate. Last night, Wojo was irate. Last time, we won our next seven, which included three high majors (LSU, ASU, UWM) and four cupcakes. This time, our next seven includes four high-majors and three cupcakes (SJU, DePaul,
So Milwaukee is the new UW? They earned it. [/list]

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 11:31:59 AM »
Thank you, brewcity77!  People need to get a grip.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 11:35:46 AM »
I get that, but it's still the beginning of the rebuild. Having Haanif for three more years excites me. Having Rowsey come in next year. Seeing Duane and Luke as upperclassmen. There's still plenty to be excited about.

And either way, this is one game. We could win our next three and everything changes. This team has improved as the season went on. If they're playing their best ball in February and March, who knows how this season could end?

Do you think? I was not all that impressed by Presb and Chi state effort. I like the guys on the team, but not having a legit PG hurts imo. If we are playing better in Feb/March you have to expect so will everyone else. Most teams benefit from more games under their belts.

I think Saturday is an interesting game. We win and it's back to .500. A loss and we could be in for a rough start to BE play, especially with so many freshmen. A senior or two would really help keep the troops calm. Somebody needs to emerge as a team leader to help the guys work through the tough games.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 11:51:54 AM »
Nicely done Brew.

I don't get why this board jumps from one extreme to another.  We beat some cupcakes and the "What Are We Ranked" thread comes out.  We lose to a decent Seton Hall team and everyone should be fired and the season canceled.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 12:00:38 PM »
Nicely done Brew.

I don't get why this board jumps from one extreme to another.  We beat some cupcakes and the "What Are We Ranked" thread comes out.  We lose to a decent Seton Hall team and everyone should be fired and the season canceled.

Exactly.  I didn't read all the gloom and doom posts, but it would be interesting to know how many of those posters were the same ones who jumped on the original "Fire Wojo" bandwagon, then wound up backtracking, and now are on the rampage again.
Have some patience, FFS.

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 12:06:20 PM »
Im curious how long people think it takes to rebuild a college bball team. A new HC in college football likely inherits 55-65 scholarship players from the previous staff and has little time to recruit a max of 25 players. The 9 new assistant coaches implement a new offense and defense that the 55-65 returning players need to learn from scratch. Most new HC's in football say the transformation requires 2 years.

Baskball only has 13 scholarships and 3 assistants. Offenses and defenses arent as technical as in football.

Young teams can certainly win big in college basketball. Having a HS AA helps. Having several is even better. We have one. How many years does the staff need? The same number as a new football coach?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2015, 12:07:33 PM »
Great post Brew.  We will be fine.

We Are Marquette!

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2015, 12:30:29 PM »
Exactly.  I didn't read all the gloom and doom posts, but it would be interesting to know how many of those posters were the same ones who jumped on the original "Fire Wojo" bandwagon, then wound up backtracking, and now are on the rampage again.
Certainly some of the most vocal "Fire Wojo" folks are back though i'm not sure they backtracked as much as just kept quiet.  What i can't figure out is if they are alumni whose passion leads them to the dark side or just trolls.

Thanks for the perspective Brew. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2015, 12:40:52 PM »
Do you think? I was not all that impressed by Presb and Chi state effort. I like the guys on the team, but not having a legit PG hurts imo. If we are playing better in Feb/March you have to expect so will everyone else. Most teams benefit from more games under their belts.

I think Saturday is an interesting game. We win and it's back to .500. A loss and we could be in for a rough start to BE play, especially with so many freshmen. A senior or two would really help keep the troops calm. Somebody needs to emerge as a team leader to help the guys work through the tough games.

Effort wasn't there against Presbyterian and CSU, I agree. But those were coming on the heels of a 7-game winning streak and we weren't remotely challenged in any of the home games. They mailed it in and we still blew them out by around 20 each. Did that maybe come back to bite us last night? Quite possibly.

I doubt we'll look as bad as we did during that 12-minute stretch many times this year. Really expect this will serve as a wakeup call.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2015, 01:37:56 PM »
Wojo is gone and there is a lot of talent on the team.  When they gel, they will be a strong, confident competitive  team.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2015, 02:12:54 PM »
My expectations were never high for this team.  Nowhere near a ledge.  Respecting the process.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2015, 02:15:39 PM »
I just want postseason appearances, dammit!
SS Marquette

Class71

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2015, 03:26:52 PM »
My expectations were never high for this team.  Nowhere near a ledge.  Respecting the process.

Can you articulate ,"the process"? Seems like Providence and Butler have a process. What is ours?
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2015, 06:05:41 PM »
Are we overrating the talent on this team? Fischer is very good and Henry is a stud. Haanif is better than I expected. Before the season started there was an article ranking players by position in the Big East. They ranked Cohen as the worst starting small forward and he played like that last night. Carter has the potential to be a very good point guard as a senior, but he is probably the worst starting point guard in the Big East this year. How can this team succeed in conference, if they are starting two of the weakest players by position in the Big East? Overall Seton Hall last night looked more talented than MU. They were simply quicker and more athletic.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2015, 06:27:59 PM »
Are we overrating the talent on this team? Fischer is very good and Henry is a stud. Haanif is better than I expected. Before the season started there was an article ranking players by position in the Big East. They ranked Cohen as the worst starting small forward and he played like that last night. Carter has the potential to be a very good point guard as a senior, but he is probably the worst starting point guard in the Big East this year. How can this team succeed in conference, if they are starting two of the weakest players by position in the Big East? Overall Seton Hall last night looked more talented than MU. They were simply quicker and more athletic.

I wish I could disagree.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2015, 06:38:12 PM »
While I do understand our personnel shortcomings, I do have some lingering concerns that are more long-term in nature:

1. Wojo doesn't seem to have a secondary plan of any sort.  They just seem to be doing the same things even when the game plan doesn't work out.  Mid game adjustments are non-existant.

2.  Reliance on slender players.  Outside of Anim, there aren't a lot of bulky players on this team.  As Atticus said, the BE is a rock fight and I don't think we have the players for that right now.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2015, 06:42:43 PM »
Im curious how long people think it takes to rebuild a college bball team. A new HC in college football likely inherits 55-65 scholarship players from the previous staff and has little time to recruit a max of 25 players. The 9 new assistant coaches implement a new offense and defense that the 55-65 returning players need to learn from scratch. Most new HC's in football say the transformation requires 2 years.

Baskball only has 13 scholarships and 3 assistants. Offenses and defenses arent as technical as in football.

Young teams can certainly win big in college basketball. Having a HS AA helps. Having several is even better. We have one. How many years does the staff need? The same number as a new football coach?

You are correct the numbers are different, but that works both ways.  If you miss or takes time to develop some of those 13 guys, it hurts on a % basis to a much larger extent.  You can miss on a number of guys in football and do ok, but you can't on basketball.  You can also land one or two really good guys in basketball, and be set, too.

There are also key positions.  Better have a very good QB for football for rebuilding.  For hoops, better have a floor general point guard.  I'm still not convinced we have one, at least one that is ready.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2015, 07:06:31 PM »
Thank you, Brew! Disappointing to come back from vacation to the good old, sky-is-falling Scoop. Y'all need some Prozac or something. As others have said, this team will lose when we expect them to win and win when we expect them to lose.  While you are all wringing your hands, you may want to remember that last year, Seton Hall was this year's Marquette. A bunch of talented freshman playing on a team with few veteran leaders.  Remember how Marquette (which was dead to most of you by March) destroyed them in the BEast first round?  As Kevin Willard said, the difference between this year and last year is that now he has sophomores.  Next year, with or without Henry, we will have sophomores.

For a program that Buzz left in the toilet, I think Wojo's doing pretty well for 1.5 years.  Last year he had 1 recruit and 1 grad transfer and lost Dawson and Burton mid year (whether or not you think those were losses).  This year he has a top 10 recruiting class, Rowsey waiting in the wings, and he has nailed down the top Wisconsin player for next year, plus a nationally ranked NBA scion. What does this team need most right now? Patience from its fan base.  Get back from the ledge, people.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)