[June 09, 2024, 10:48:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by 4everwarriors
[June 09, 2024, 08:25:23 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[June 09, 2024, 07:04:21 PM]

Arby's National Roast Beef Day Deal by oldwarrior81
[June 09, 2024, 05:24:39 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: espn tries to tell us about henry and MU  (Read 12802 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
espn tries to tell us about henry and MU
« on: December 22, 2015, 10:04:15 AM »
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/14417035/marquette-golden-eagles-freshman-henry-ellenson-joins-brother-rebuilding-program

this dana person?  she/he is a SENIOR writer?  hmmmmm.  first off, MU has a helluva a lot more basketball history than he/she is giving us credit for.  plus, we are sending quite a few head-turners to the big show

all in all, not the best written article, well maybe for a school newspaper
don't...don't don't don't don't

The Lens

• All American
Re: espn tries to tell us about henry and MU
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 10:13:17 AM »
When reporters are talking about rebuilding, it's because their subjects, sources are talking about rebuilding.  I doubt Wojo or any of his staff said:

"You know when we took over, it was a program a year removed from the Elite 8 and a Big East Title and had been to 8 straight NCAAs so that type of brand name and success helps in recruiting"

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MUFlutieEffect

• Team Captain
    • The Flutie Effect
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 10:19:21 AM »
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/14417035/marquette-golden-eagles-freshman-henry-ellenson-joins-brother-rebuilding-program

this dana person?  she/he is a SENIOR writer?  hmmmmm.  first off, MU has a helluva a lot more basketball history than he/she is giving us credit for.  plus, we are sending quite a few head-turners to the big show

all in all, not the best written article, well maybe for a school newspaper

I agree that it isn't the most flattering towards MU, but Dana O'Neil has been one of (if not the) best national media voices for the Big East.  She's right to note that Henry could've received infinitely more attention had he chosen a blue blood program.  Might be difficult to swallow as a Marquette fan, but I'd find it equally difficult to say the article is anything but fair...
The Flutie Effect: "A significant and positive correlation between a university having a successful team and higher quality of incoming freshmen, alumni donations, and graduation rates."

- The Economist, January 3rd, 2007

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 10:22:27 AM »
I thought the article was fine.  This is the worst thing they say.  Is it inaccurate?

"Ellenson is a freshman at Marquette, which frankly has more basketball history than LSU but isn't a big sexy hoops brand-named school. The Golden Eagles are in the still-trying-to-redefine-itself Big East as well as recreating their own program under Steve Wojciechowski."

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 10:25:07 AM »
I thought the article was fine.  This is the worst thing they say.  Is it inaccurate?

"Ellenson is a freshman at Marquette, which frankly has more basketball history than LSU but isn't a big sexy hoops brand-named school. The Golden Eagles are in the still-trying-to-redefine-itself Big East as well as recreating their own program under Steve Wojciechowski."
No, it describes where MU is at.  In this flavor of the month sports world, MU is not a sexy brand name at the moment.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 10:42:21 AM »
Rocket, put a band-aid on your butt and get over it.

What that writer needs to do is forward that article to Goodman, along with the video clip where he says that Wally "never plays".
Have some patience, FFS.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 11:01:39 AM »
Dana is a very good writer, who has done some really good work. Reading this piece, however, it looks like such a formulaic bio piece, she could have whipped it out, and thrown it in a drawer (old times reference), for later use.

How could that work,.... today?

"Mom there's an alert here that ESPN emailed and said they want their weekly story, before they will release the auto deposit of your pay and Xmas bonus"

" OK fine, attach that "Ellenson Puff Piece" file in the return email to them and come down and help me with the tree"

Work has become a a necessary momentary interruption in our busy lives.

Merry Christmas.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 11:02:54 AM »
Are we the only fan base that looks at an article that is 95% positive and obsesses over the 5%??

Jeez we come across as a bunch of oversensitive wussies.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 11:04:33 AM »
When Wally came in 3 times last night--each time I leaned over to my daughter and said "he never plays." She said yes he does I've seen him play. I said he never plays.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 11:12:56 AM »
Are we the only fan base that looks at an article that is 95% positive and obsesses over the 5%??

Nailed it!

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 11:16:32 AM »
I dont see the big deal. Who cares what the articles say? Why are we supposed to expect a sports article that is always pro-MU 100% of the time?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 11:25:59 AM »
That flying rebound dunk last night was pretty freakin' cool.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2015, 11:29:32 AM »
When Wally came in 3 times last night--each time I leaned over to my daughter and said "he never plays." She said yes he does I've seen him play. I said he never plays.

Wally played 12-minutes in a loss to Iowa, and then a combined 11 minutes against LSU, ASU, and UW. Over/Under on playing 60 minutes in conference play? I would classify 3 MPG in conference play "never playing" for a junior.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2015, 11:33:03 AM »
Wally played 12-minutes in a loss to Iowa, and then a combined 11 minutes against LSU, ASU, and UW. Over/Under on playing 60 minutes in conference play? I would classify 3 MPG in conference play "never playing" for a junior.

Oh, I stand corrected.  Here I thought he never plays meant he never plays.  Is 60 minutes in conference play your arbitrary definition of he never plays?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2015, 11:34:18 AM »

We're simply not surviving with a 7 man rotation through 18 conference games.  Wally plays.  Under 8 a game but he plays.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2015, 11:38:44 AM »

Exactly.

ESPN likes star players, big names and big markets. Marquette basketball is none of those things. Quite frankly, the Big East isn't either. We can argue about the 3 teams currently in the top 10 or 6 teams making the NCAAT last season or conference RPI but at the end of the day, the Big East lacks national star power. Marquette doesn't move the needle nationally and, honestly, Marquette doesn't necessarily move the needle a significant amount in the state of Wisconsin (or in Michigan where many people think MU is located).

On a national level, many pundits simply can't understand why a top 5-10 recruit would go to a school like Marquette over the likes of Michigan State, Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, or even UCLA and Indiana. To us, it would be like Ellenson choosing UWGB over Marquette and Wisconsin.

Lighten up and enjoy the press. MU has a good one. Let's not overreact to the national media downplaying MU basketball when they're talking him up.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2015, 11:50:14 AM »
Dana is pretty good, been around the block for many years.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2015, 11:53:08 AM »
I dont see the big deal. Who cares what the articles say? Why are we supposed to expect a sports article that is always pro-MU 100% of the time?
I dont see the big deal.... Its Henry, Its Henry...the highest rated MU recruit in decades, and likely, its first one and done. Its a front page MU article on ESPN, the No 1 Sports TV/Web portal in the world. Some guy in Turkey is reading this article now. lol

Who cares what the articles say? Everyone on this board, to one extent or another. Everyone is an MU BB Fan (abbrev. for "fanatic"), so we have an extreme, ephemeral,  sometimes irrational tendency to support and even defend our team. 

Why are we supposed to expect a sports article that is always pro-MU 100% of the time? Likely few if any ...'expect" it. As Fanatics, however, we tend to hope for that. And thats OK. Being a sports fan is a great outlet; it brings pleasure.

Its also fine that there is always someone to scold fan talk and try to apply logic and restraint. Every party crowd needs that designated driver. lol
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2015, 11:53:38 AM »

Post of the day!

brandx

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2015, 12:02:11 PM »

I think all fan bases are probably overly sensitive.

It is funny though - there was just a thread with people whining that ESPN totally ignored the BE. So, what happens when they put up an article about MU?

Yup, you see the results. And some of the same people doing the whining.

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2015, 12:12:47 PM »
I like Dana - she was good when it was the old big east - the article could have mentioned the following though - that father ellenson played at MU - that MU has pretty much locked up the top player(s0 in Wisco for the last decade

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2015, 12:25:55 PM »
Exactly.

ESPN likes star players, big names and big markets. Marquette basketball is none of those things. Quite frankly, the Big East isn't either. We can argue about the 3 teams currently in the top 10 or 6 teams making the NCAAT last season or conference RPI but at the end of the day, the Big East lacks national star power. Marquette doesn't move the needle nationally and, honestly, Marquette doesn't necessarily move the needle a significant amount in the state of Wisconsin (or in Michigan where many people think MU is located).

On a national level, many pundits simply can't understand why a top 5-10 recruit would go to a school like Marquette over the likes of Michigan State, Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, or even UCLA and Indiana. To us, it would be like Ellenson choosing UWGB over Marquette and Wisconsin.

Lighten up and enjoy the press. MU has a good one. Let's not overreact to the national media downplaying MU basketball when they're talking him up.

Agree

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2015, 12:31:28 PM »
I love anything positive about Marquette and BIG BAD HANK!
SS Marquette

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2015, 01:08:32 PM »
The article was great -- of course it is a story that MU has a top 5/10 recruit -- we haven't had one in like 3 decades.  I am glad HE wanted to play with his brother and stay in WI -- at least it wasn't painted as something nefarious as some would try to do.