Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: espn tries to tell us about henry and MU  (Read 12750 times)

VegasWarrior77

• All American
Re: espn tries to tell us about henry and MU
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2015, 01:52:14 PM »
CBS Sports CBB ‏@CBSSportsCBB  5m5 minutes ago
The latest Nat’l Freshman of the Year Watch:

1. Simmons
2. Ellenson
3. Ingram
4. Lawson
5. Beasley
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

mug644

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2015, 03:22:16 PM »
This has me thinking about what kind of articles were being written about Wade and MU the year he exploded on the scene. And that was when we were still in Conference USA.

MUFlutieEffect

• Team Captain
    • The Flutie Effect
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2015, 03:23:43 PM »
Exactly.

ESPN likes star players, big names and big markets. Marquette basketball is none of those things. Quite frankly, the Big East isn't either. We can argue about the 3 teams currently in the top 10 or 6 teams making the NCAAT last season or conference RPI but at the end of the day, the Big East lacks national star power. Marquette doesn't move the needle nationally and, honestly, Marquette doesn't necessarily move the needle a significant amount in the state of Wisconsin (or in Michigan where many people think MU is located).

On a national level, many pundits simply can't understand why a top 5-10 recruit would go to a school like Marquette over the likes of Michigan State, Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, or even UCLA and Indiana. To us, it would be like Ellenson choosing UWGB over Marquette and Wisconsin.

Lighten up and enjoy the press. MU has a good one. Let's not overreact to the national media downplaying MU basketball when they're talking him up.

I read Scoop every day, and this might be the most accurate, self-aware post I read in 2015.
The Flutie Effect: "A significant and positive correlation between a university having a successful team and higher quality of incoming freshmen, alumni donations, and graduation rates."

- The Economist, January 3rd, 2007

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2015, 03:57:03 PM »
Oh, I stand corrected.  Here I thought he never plays meant he never plays.  Is 60 minutes in conference play your arbitrary definition of he never plays?

Do you have the clip? I would like to see the tone he said it in. If he said something like "he will never see the court during a MU game" or something like that please ignore the rest of this rant. If he said "he'll never play" than I only assume he meant he will hardly ever play and never play meaningful minutes. He's a redshirt junior and only got 11 minutes in our last 3 competitive games. But three check-ins in what should be a exhibition Chicago State game is enough to hold Goodman's comment against him?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2015, 03:59:21 PM »
CBS Sports CBB ‏@CBSSportsCBB  5m5 minutes ago
The latest Nat’l Freshman of the Year Watch:

1. Simmons
2. Ellenson
3. Ingram
4. Lawson
5. Beasley

Stone????

Hubert Davis

• Starter
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2015, 04:04:29 PM »
MAKE MARQUETTE SEXY AGAIN!

brandx

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2015, 04:21:43 PM »
Stone????

If Stone was at a school where he was a starter instead of on a veteran team, he would be a 15/8 guy at least.

His game is strong and pretty advanced for a freshman. He is a good shooter, rebounder, and passer. Sees the court very well whether he is high or low. He would be in the top 5 on the list.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2015, 04:30:48 PM »
Stone is getting close to a 11/5 in 18.3 MPG and is shooting a solid 54%. A little underwhelming now but give him a few months and I could see him taking over as one of the main options on a top 5 team in the nation.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2015, 04:54:05 PM »
Do you have the clip? I would like to see the tone he said it in. If he said something like "he will never see the court during a MU game" or something like that please ignore the rest of this rant. If he said "he'll never play" than I only assume he meant he will hardly ever play and never play meaningful minutes. He's a redshirt junior and only got 11 minutes in our last 3 competitive games. But three check-ins in what should be a exhibition Chicago State game is enough to hold Goodman's comment against him?

I believe it is on my DVR right now as part of my recording of the Wisconsin Game.  I will see what I can do about creating a clip out of it.  Maybe I can get something out of the six-figure Digital Media degree we gave Glow jr.
Have some patience, FFS.

brandx

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2015, 07:03:48 PM »
Stone is getting close to a 11/5 in 18.3 MPG and is shooting a solid 54%. A little underwhelming now but give him a few months and I could see him taking over as one of the main options on a top 5 team in the nation.

Thanks for the stats. Put that to 28 - 30 minutes and the numbers would be about 17/8 per game. Pretty close to the 15/8 that I guessed at.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2015, 07:13:25 PM »
Wally I think will get more minutes.  I knew he could jump, but he is also quick.  When we face more bruising teams he may be essential.  As long as he plays within his element I could see him as an asset on the court.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2015, 07:34:41 PM »

They were talking about Henry picking MU instead of Wiscy. Goodman, with his best imbecile-like sh!t-eating grin, said something to the effect of "Wojo did a really a smart thing... he recruited his brother Henry (actually meaning to say Wally), who never plays, to transfer in from Minnesota to convince him to commit..."

Goodman's a hack. He has literally been the undisputed king of hyperbole for his entire career.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2015, 07:54:03 PM »
Rocket, put a band-aid on your butt and get over it.

What that writer needs to do is forward that article to Goodman, along with the video clip where he says that Wally "never plays".

no injuries here chick, just sticking up for the warriors.  my first thoughts after reading it were that it was slapped together like we all used to write our papers, the night before and then hope it flies.  the best i could give something like this to a "senior" reporter is a "C" on a good day. it didn't seem like dana put much effort into this.  2nd thoughts were that it was a back-up story to some other story that didn't pan out

overall, i guess i can be happy to get any notice at all
don't...don't don't don't don't

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2015, 08:07:05 PM »
Exactly.

ESPN likes star players, big names and big markets. Marquette basketball is none of those things. Quite frankly, the Big East isn't either. We can argue about the 3 teams currently in the top 10 or 6 teams making the NCAAT last season or conference RPI but at the end of the day, the Big East lacks national star power. Marquette doesn't move the needle nationally and, honestly, Marquette doesn't necessarily move the needle a significant amount in the state of Wisconsin (or in Michigan where many people think MU is located).

On a national level, many pundits simply can't understand why a top 5-10 recruit would go to a school like Marquette over the likes of Michigan State, Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, or even UCLA and Indiana. To us, it would be like Ellenson choosing UWGB over Marquette and Wisconsin.

Lighten up and enjoy the press. MU has a good one. Let's not overreact to the national media downplaying MU basketball when they're talking him up.
Sorry, disagree. MU is big time college bb, even when it is not.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2015, 08:08:56 PM »
Sorry, disagree. MU is big time college bb, even when it is not.

How do you define "big time college bb?"

MUFlutieEffect

• Team Captain
    • The Flutie Effect
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2015, 08:42:14 PM »

It's defined by the color teal.
The Flutie Effect: "A significant and positive correlation between a university having a successful team and higher quality of incoming freshmen, alumni donations, and graduation rates."

- The Economist, January 3rd, 2007

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2015, 09:38:28 PM »
No clip. Goodman said it as a slight to MU and Wojo. It was clear and it was intentional. My feelings aren't hurt, but like Chick I was not happy with Mr Goodmans agenda.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2015, 10:00:51 PM »
Nice story, all in all.

Let's face it. There are several realities that we have to acknowledge:

1) Al hasn't been coach here in almost 40 years. It's been that long since we won it. If you were born the night we won the national title, you children may well be at Marquette. If you were on campus ripping out parking meters and destroying airports the night we won it all, your grandchildren may be out of Marquette!

2) We have only been to the final four once since that day. We've had enough coaches to well, embarrass most anyone in college basketball.

3) The Hillbilly left a very empty cupboard and we're still recovering from it.

4) The marquee names in our conference, UConn, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame and Loserville split. We have a solid conference with good potential but we pale in comparison to what we once were.

5) Wojo is still learning. Personally I think he's going to be a great one but Rome wasn't built in a day and Al didn't win his first national title in 1966.

Amid all this, Ms. O'Neill wrote an incredibly fair article. I hope she is wrong and Henry is around for a little while.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2015, 10:01:03 PM »
No clip. Goodman said it as a slight to MU and Wojo. It was clear and it was intentional. My feelings aren't hurt, but like Chick I was not happy with Mr Goodmans agenda.

In contrast, Foxsports posted a highlight of Wally's dunk today, with a title that disses Chicago State to boot:

http://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/marquette-golden-eagles-wally-ellenson-putback-dunk-against-chicago-state-cougars-122215
Have some patience, FFS.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2015, 07:31:07 PM »
Nice story, all in all.

If you were born the night we won the national title, you children may well be at Marquette. If you were on campus ripping out parking meters and destroying airports the night we won it all, your grandchildren may be out of Marquette!

I smiled at this..as my friend still has the parking meter someone had broken off that spring night in  '77.

It led me to compare your timing..You made a great point, no doubt, but....Its a little off.

I have a 42 yr old stepdaughter. If she birthed her first child on her 21st birthday (she has no kids) her oldest could be an MU senior. My calendar lines up so far, but...

If I was her birth father, however,  it means I would have gotten some girl pregnant while I was a HS freshman. I was irresponsible back then, but few of we MU parking meter thieves, were already dads in '77. lol

Youth today and college grads in my day, tended to have kids in their mid to late twenties. As a result, my oldest grandchild just turned 5 and she is getting her first MU cheerleader outfit for Christmas.

I tell her Al McGuire stories at every bedtime. She doesn't believe in Al McGuire (my stories are too unbelievable), But she believes in Santa. lol Go Figure

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2015, 07:57:45 PM »
I smiled at this..as my friend still has the parking meter someone had broken off that spring night in  '77.

It led me to compare your timing..You made a great point, no doubt, but....Its a little off.

I have a 42 yr old stepdaughter. If she birthed her first child on her 21st birthday (she has no kids) her oldest could be an MU senior. My calendar lines up so far, but...

If I was her birth father, however,  it means I would have gotten some girl pregnant while I was a HS freshman. I was irresponsible back then, but few of we MU parking meter thieves, were already dads in '77. lol

Youth today and college grads in my day, tended to have kids in their mid to late twenties. As a result, my oldest grandchild just turned 5 and she is getting her first MU cheerleader outfit for Christmas.

I tell her Al McGuire stories at every bedtime. She doesn't believe in Al McGuire (my stories are too unbelievable), But she believes in Santa. lol Go Figure

Thanks HouWarrior. You made my day!

You do realize that if she does not believe in Al McGuire, she will be condemned to being a Badger. Or worse, an Aggie. We don't want that to happen now, do we?

Glad to hear those parking meters went to good use.

sailwi

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2015, 08:11:06 PM »
IMO Dana is one of the better college basketball writers and has written some some very good articles over the years.  This article was not her best writing but I don't think she wrote an unfair article, seems like someone else said a little too much of a template profile article.  We don't need to get riled up over this, sit back and enjoy the drama to the west.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 08:35:02 PM by sailwi »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2015, 08:16:06 PM »
You do realize that if she does not believe in Al McGuire, she will be condemned to being a Badger. Or worse, an Aggie. We don't want that to happen now, do we?

Ahem!

In what way is a badger better than an aggie?  Better dead than red!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2015, 06:45:04 AM »

don't know if this means anything, but...
   tradition; MU is a good story and we are usually in the top 10-15 in overall national attendance, turn out more than our fair share of  nba players
don't...don't don't don't don't

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2015, 06:55:07 AM »
Are we the only fan base that looks at an article that is 95% positive and obsesses over the 5%??

Jeez we come across as a bunch of oversensitive wussies.

No to sentence one.  Most fans react the same way to "outsider" views.

Nonetheless, yes to sentence two.

feedback