collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Force Awakens *Possible Spoilers*  (Read 18227 times)

jesmu84

• All American
The Force Awakens *Possible Spoilers*
« on: December 18, 2015, 10:15:12 AM »
Good job, JJ. I was impressed that he left most of his personal "touches" out.

I liked the movie overall. There were a couple of things I wish were more fleshed-out/explained - like what's been going on with the senate/republic/resistance during this whole missing time period.

One thing I didn't expect and didn't really like was that the movie was less of a continuation of the Star Wars world/story and more of a reboot of the series. For those that are big fans, there were HUGE parallels between TFA and ANH. I wanted it to be a new adventure, not one we've already experienced. I'm guessing they realized the failure of the prequels and went too far to play this safe to what they knew had already been successful.

tower912

• All American
Re: The Force Awakens *Possible Spoilers*
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 12:53:06 PM »
Unbelievable eye candy.   Almost too true to the canon.   They almost seemed self mocking in the scene where they are planning the attack.   More than any other since Empire, you felt at the end that it was just an episode setting up the next.     Still, an absolute hoot. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 01:30:41 PM »
Maybe I'm too much of a nerd to appreciate it as much as others.

After spending today rehashing it in my head, I got more annoyed at the way they approached use of the force. Rey, in less than 6 hours, becomes more force-proficient than Luke did in the first 2 movies. And he had 2 Jedi masters training him. Ridiculous.

Further, how did we end up with Finn using, and being somewhat proficient with, a lightsaber. Twice. Ridiculous.

I also thought they should have waited for the Han/Kylo showdown for him to take his mask off.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 01:40:36 PM »
Maybe I'm too much of a nerd to appreciate it as much as others.

After spending today rehashing it in my head, I got more annoyed at the way they approached use of the force. Rey, in less than 6 hours, becomes more force-proficient than Luke did in the first 2 movies. And he had 2 Jedi masters training him. Ridiculous.

Further, how did we end up with Finn using, and being somewhat proficient with, a lightsaber. Twice. Ridiculous.

I also thought they should have waited for the Han/Kylo showdown for him to take his mask off.

Completely agree with all your comments.

And the blowing up the death star/planet was just a little too repetitive for me.

Still really enjoyed it though. Interested to see what the legacy characters, especially Luke's, roles are in the rest of the movies. I didn't mind the way Han went out, especially since he got the bulk of screen time in this one. Hoping for lots more Luke, Chewey, R2D2 and C3PO in the next one. I would be ok with less or no Leia.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 01:41:34 PM »
Agree.  Saw it two days ago with an industry crowd.  I've always liked Empire Strikes back as the best.  This one is right there.

Seeing again on Saturday night with the family and a more raucous crowd.

Overall thumbs up.  Ultimately this is a setup movie for the next two or three.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 01:47:06 PM »
I agree with much of what jesmu, tower and Chicos have said so far.

I am not a "Star Wars nerd," and I would lose trivia contests to most folks who have seen all the films (as I have). I did enjoy IV V and VI, and I mostly disliked I, II, III. I would put this up against VI in the enjoyment category. Not as good as IV or V, of course, but far superior to the other three.

OK, enough Roman Numerals for everybody?

I went into the movie as a Star Wars VII virgin. Whenever a commercial came on TV, I switched the channel. I walked out of the theater when they started showing a trailer. I read none of the reviews that came out earlier this week. I never went into a chatroom, etc. I wanted to form my own opinion and didn't want any accidental spoilers.

I had a few of the same reactions, jesmu. There is no freakin' way Finn becomes an almost immediate lightsaber expert -- good enough to hold his own against Kylo. Please.

How convenient that the evil one is Han's son. How convenient that Rey and Finn ended up in the Falcon and that Rey could instantly, expertly pilot it. Lots of conveniences.

And so many parallels to IV that I can't count them all, right down to the bar scene, the cute droid with the holographic image, the Death Star (yes, I know this was much worse than the DS but still), the attack on the Better Than Death Star, etc, etc, etc, etc.

But I was entertained, never bored, always interested in what would happen next.

I thought the female lead was outstanding -- a better actor than Mark Hammill ever was. Every scene Rey was in was better for it. Finn bothered me at first, seemed to do a bit too much mugging -- kind of a Han Extra Lite -- but he grew on me.

I liked the interplay between Kylo and the British dude. They obviously disrespected each other greatly.

Han was more part of the movie than I expected, as was Leia. I since have read a couple of reviews that gave plaudits to Carrie Fisher, but I didn't think she was particularly good. I thought she was even a little stiff. Ford was good, and I laughed a couple of times at Chewy's reaction to things.

The shape of this little droid made more sense to me than R2. Really rolled around well, much easier to go up rocks or steps. I never understood how R2 got around bad terrain!

Yeah, it set up a sequel, but no moreso than Empire did. I remember walking out of the theater back then thinking: That was great, but I'm pissed I have to wait to see what happens.

Glad there was only a little C3PO and no Jar Jar! My son was going to see it after me, so I left him a spoiler text saying Jar Jar had gone to the dark side and killed everyone!

Final thought: If I ever needed an agent, I want Mark Hamill's. I don't know how much he was paid for those 90 seconds (or whatever) and zero lines, but good for him.

Oh, and final final thought: I didn't even get killed by terrorists! Maybe they knew there were 100 mean-ass guys with Glocks in the theater!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 01:41:33 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 02:56:20 PM »
Nah, even the terrorists wanted to see it.   Next weekend, when they have all seen it, then they will start their mischief.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 04:52:05 PM »
I predict that Rey is Schmi's (Annikin's mother) granddaughter somehow. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 04:56:32 PM »
I predict that Rey is Schmi's (Annikin's mother) granddaughter somehow.

So, same generation as Luke? No way.

My guess is either another child of Han/Leia or a child of Luke.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2015, 05:00:32 PM »
Or great-grand daughter.   Look at the physical resemblance.    The ultimate showdown between her and Kylo Ren has to have familial overtones.   

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 05:41:57 PM »
Or great-grand daughter.   Look at the physical resemblance.    The ultimate showdown between her and Kylo Ren has to have familial overtones.

Yeah, I've been trying to figure out whose Jedi blood she has.

Maybe Leia and Jabba's love child? Ha!

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015, 05:46:05 PM »

I agree that Rey has some bloodline either through the Skywalkers or the Solos.

I'll be interested in the next 2 movies if Kylo switches to the light side in a similar fashion as Anakin switched to the dark. We caught a glimpse of him struggling with keeping the "light" side out of him in this movie. Though his killing of Han may have cemented his status.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2015, 07:18:16 PM »
Seem to have the same feelings as most here.  Really great visually, much more grounded and less cringe-worthy than the prequels.  Liked the ANH/ROTJ parallels for nostalgia, though they were too much.  The whole droid carrying something special on remote planet, superweapon/planting explosives/attack weak spot/bla bla was already done.  To throw a nostalgia bone, Admiral Ackbar needed to say "It's a trap!" and that's about all.

Kylo Ren was also a mixed bag, since from little more than trailers and merchandise it was obvious he was hyped to be the next "cool villain".  The conflict with the light was actually a nice twist, that the character himself was so weak, struggled to defeat a recently-given-a-name-stormtrooper and was defeated by a girl who just picked up a lightsaber the day before was disappointing.  Like, it's hard to believe Luke went into hiding and pouted in shame because of that.

Harrison Ford, brilliant.  Got his wish 32 years later, and it was worth the wait.  And I don't know how Abrams pulled it off, but Chewbacca was more than color, one of the best characters in the movie.  As far as cute/kiddie fodder/comic, BB was everything Jar Jar should have been.

Still some good mysteries introduced - who or what is this Supreme Overlord creature and what will make him not a redundant throwaway compared to the old Emperor, who is Rey related to, if she's Luke's daughter who is the mother, why was she abandoned and turned out good when Kylo Ren was trained from the beginning and turned out a mess, what is the actual state of the Empire/First Order vs. Resistance/Rebellion/Republic, what happened to Wedge and Lando?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 07:28:53 PM »
Did anybody else notice that the head bad guy, also CG'd by Andy Serkis, resembled Gollum?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2015, 09:09:58 PM »
Why did The First Order want to find Luke? That point never gets established, and then they just give up on the entire idea 3/4th's in, made zero sense.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2015, 10:14:16 PM »
Why did The First Order want to find Luke? That point never gets established, and then they just give up on the entire idea 3/4th's in, made zero sense.

The whole Luke thing was a mess.

As earlier stated by chapman, it made zero sense that Luke would go into hiding with so little impetus -- or at least maybe we weren't told the entire story of why he went into hiding.

And who even came up with the map to locate him and why?

Lots of questions, and plenty of illogic, but still fun. I'd say it was at least as good as I thought it would be.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2015, 06:29:02 AM »
It's Star Wars.   The logic doesn't have to track 100% of the time. 

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2015, 08:41:46 AM »
My only problem with the Luke storyline is I thought the first third of the movie did a great job of establishing Finn & Rey's storielines.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2015, 09:06:35 AM »
Finally, people to talk with this about!

Overall I thought it was a great, need to see it a couple of times to see if it ranks ahead of ANH and RotJ or not....Empire definitely has it licked.

Rey has to be Luke's daughter, have to think that he connected with her through the force and that's how she was able to channel the force effectively, that was what was going on when Rey and Ben/Kylo had their sabers engaged.  Betting that Kylo killed Luke's wife/Rey's mother as part of his turn to the dark side.  Also think there has to be a Revan connection some where in VIII

Also keep in mind that Kylo was wounded and had incomplete training, and Rey had demonstrated an ability to fight on Jakku and her saber style was more staff like then sword based.

Last thing on Rey, loved the intro of the character when she didn't need Finn to take care of her, liked the continuation of the Leia empowerment arc.

Overall, I think the movie was to serve three purposes....connect the old fans with the new characters, restart the world, and provide a platform for the next two movies.  I think it accomplished everything.  I'm glad the fan service that went on was not plot related it was a lot more of sight gags, throw away lines, etc.

Gonna to watch it again later this week with the family, I'll probably have more thoughts then.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2015, 09:52:14 AM »

Overall I thought it was a great, need to see it a couple of times to see if it ranks ahead of ANH and RotJ or not....Empire definitely has it licked.

Rey has to be Luke's daughter, have to think that he connected with her through the force and that's how she was able to channel the force effectively, that was what was going on when Rey and Ben/Kylo had their sabers engaged.  Betting that Kylo killed Luke's wife/Rey's mother as part of his turn to the dark side.  Also think there has to be a Revan connection some where in VIII

Also keep in mind that Kylo was wounded and had incomplete training, and Rey had demonstrated an ability to fight on Jakku and her saber style was more staff like then sword based.

Last thing on Rey, loved the intro of the character when she didn't need Finn to take care of her, liked the continuation of the Leia empowerment arc.

Overall, I think the movie was to serve three purposes....connect the old fans with the new characters, restart the world, and provide a platform for the next two movies.  I think it accomplished everything.  I'm glad the fan service that went on was not plot related it was a lot more of sight gags, throw away lines, etc.

Gonna to watch it again later this week with the family, I'll probably have more thoughts then.

Like all of this, I did.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
by the way...don't sit through credits
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2015, 11:43:27 PM »
Nothing at the end of the credits to hang around for.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2015, 10:35:53 AM »

I agree with all of this. I'd also add that the Luke storyline--and the supposed abandonment--didn't bother me. The First Republic wanted to find him to eliminate the final Jedi. When they thought they had a way to destroy the Resistance and still find him (through Rey's knowledge of his whereabouts), that became the focus.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: by the way...don't sit through credits
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2015, 11:59:33 AM »
Nothing at the end of the credits to hang around for.

Not Star Wars style and I would have been annoyed if they'd done it
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2015, 12:13:52 PM »

I loved Empire, but I've still always been troubled by the "cave scene" with Darth Vadar.  Hated it, to this day it was so hokey and felt like it just was scratch across an LP record in an otherwise great movie.

This one, very good.  A few things were a bit much, but I felt more than anything this was a bridging movie to the final two more so than the other movies were.  Really well done.  The CGI was forced like in the last three.  There was no stupidity of characters. 

My daughter, surprisingly didn't care for it. Wife, son and I enjoyed. 

I would encourage you to see it a few times.  I've seen it twice now, you pick up on a few things for sure that are missed in the absorption of the first time viewer.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2015, 01:33:23 PM »
I loved Empire, but I've still always been troubled by the "cave scene" with Darth Vadar.  Hated it, to this day it was so hokey and felt like it just was scratch across an LP record in an otherwise great movie.

This one, very good.  A few things were a bit much, but I felt more than anything this was a bridging movie to the final two more so than the other movies were.  Really well done.  The CGI was forced like in the last three.  There was no stupidity of characters. 

My daughter, surprisingly didn't care for it. Wife, son and I enjoyed. 

I would encourage you to see it a few times.  I've seen it twice now, you pick up on a few things for sure that are missed in the absorption of the first time viewer.

Definitely need to watch a couple of more times to pick some stuff up but there were a couple of missed opportunities that really could have pushed it to at least equal to Empire.

1. I would have waited until the bridge to have Kylo remove his helmet, would have been a great call back to the end of RotJ but in reverse.  Also would have played up the menacing teenager aspect more prior to the reveal.  We didn't need to reveal early, we knew he was Adam Driver, just needed to know if he was all scared up(guess he is now).
2.  Poe Dameroen was a great character and Oscar Issacs was great(he and Daisey Ridley are tied for best acting in the new movie), but they didn't use nearly enough of him.  Also, unless it was somehow setting some twist in the future, I really hated how Poe just disappears on Jakku and all of a sudden shows up with the resistance ahead of Finn and Rey.  What he just gave up on BB-8 and the secret mission and decided to hitch a bus back to the resistance?
3.  Complete waste of Captain Phasma.  No back story, seems way more interesting than General Hux(I would not be menaced at all by that dude) and gets almost no screen time.  It would have been nice to see a competent storm trooper for once.  Plus I'm still annoyed after 40 years the Empire/First Order haven't developed a secret "press with your tongue in case you are taken hostage so we can stop them" button that sends out a distress signal.  What's the point of having an internal/integrated comm system in your armor if you can't use it to keep yourself from lowering the critical shield system because they pointed a gun at you.