[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB Offseason  (Read 33211 times)

buckchuckler

• All American
Re: MLB Offseason
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2015, 03:41:36 PM »
So you're saying it was incorrect to project a 21 year-old, who in his first full major league season had 207 hits, made the all-star team and got MVP votes as a potential hall of famer?

Yes.  I think it is downright stupid to talk about any player as a HOFer after 1 season.  Just like you shouldn't talk MVP seasons in April. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2015, 09:17:06 PM »
Sox get former Brewer farm hand Brett Lawrie from Oakland for 2 minor league pitchers.  I like the deal from the Sox perspective.  Definitely an upgrade at 3B, while surrendering a guy with a ceiling of a 7/8th inning guy in Wendelken, and Erwin, who could be a starter, but is a few years off, and a bit down on the Sox depth chart in terms of pitching prospects. 

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2015, 07:59:24 AM »
Red Sox trade Wade Miley and get a young power bullpen arm (Carson Smith).  I did not like the Kimbrel trade, because I think they gave up too much, but I really like this one.  Now, with Uehara, Smith and Kimbrel, they have the kind of bullpen depth they haven't had in ages, with Tazawa able to fill in when someone needs a rest.  Miley's a league average pitcher but is good for 200 IP/year, which is nothiing to sneeze at, but the Sox have a bunch of guys who could be league-average types to fill the void after Price, Porcello and Buchholz. 

I always like trades where you get younger and cheaper, too.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 10:07:45 AM by CTWarrior »
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2015, 09:08:44 AM »
Cubs get Zobrist 4/56.  They also trade castro, who apparently didn't have much trade value;  Adam warren and Brendan Ryan.

Zobrist is a nice player but $56M is too much for a 34yo utility man who's trending downward. Maddon LOVES baseball "switchables" though.

Castro was the type of player who was never as good as he should have been but never as bad as some made him out to be. He was a free-swinger who could really hit, but once the Cubs decided he needed to draw more walks, it got in his head and he became wildly inconsistent. He's definitely an upgrade at 2B for the Yankees. I could see him becoming a perennial All-Star 2B there...or having a tumultuous stretch and becoming a journeyman.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2015, 11:28:11 AM »
Zobrist is a nice player but $56M is too much for a 34yo utility man who's trending downward. Maddon LOVES baseball "switchables" though.

The money doesn't matter. They're going to get the couple good years they need out of him, and if they're lucky another decent year or two. Years three and four are what the market said he cost, but that isn't what they're paying for. He fills some significant needs in terms of defense and OBP, and he comes off the books in time to start paying some of their core guys.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2015, 11:41:21 AM »
Tigers needs:   Starting pitching    Check (Zimmerman, Pelphrey)   I think they overpaid for Pelphrey, but he is a solid 4-5 starter. 
                       Improved Bullpen   Check (K-Rod, Lowe, Wilson)
                       Corner Outfielder    Check (Maybin)   though I suspect there will be another one.
                       Veteran catcher   Check  (The biggest name out there.   Salta....Saltama....aw, hell.)

Avila, the new GM had done this all by December 10, while letting his son walk.  (Thanks, White Sox.   He is your .200 hitting problem now)     Of course, this is all just paper right now and they still need to perform, but this is a really nice start.   All without giving up any important pieces. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2015, 03:02:56 PM »
Castro is a sheer money and player dump. The guy was unmovable and on waivers last season.

Reallocating money and opening 2B was part of it but too many people are underestimating Adam Warren.  There is real value there. 

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2015, 12:19:50 PM »
Heyward to the 2016 World Series Champions Chicago Cubs

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2015, 12:38:29 PM »
Heyward to the 2016 World Series Champions Chicago Cubs

+1

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2015, 01:08:22 PM »
+1

-1.  The offense was not the problem, and John Lackey doesn't do a whole lot.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2015, 01:24:54 PM »

Heyward's big WAR doesn't come from his bat.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2015, 01:34:11 PM »

Not sure what to think about Heyward. He's a young outstanding fielder who looks the part, but he's also inconsistent at the plate, strikes out a decent amount and, statistically-speaking, he's comparable to guys like Mike Davis, Mark Whiten, Lloyd Moseby and Jeffrey Hammonds.

He's only 26 though. He could end up with his jersey number hanging from a foul pole in Wrigley or he could end up being a vastly overpaid Seth Smith.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2015, 01:37:19 PM »

Priceless. 

Of course any team can win it all once the playoffs start but the Cubs are a legit World Series contender. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2015, 01:44:06 PM »
Heyward is a plus defender and a near perfect #6 hitter in a line up.   I was feeling good about the Tigers, but the Cubs have really stepped up. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2015, 01:50:50 PM »
Heyward $184/8yrs  (avg $23M per)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2015, 02:01:45 PM »

Has any type of opt-out been publicized?  Obviously a huge contract but I can live with it as a fan.  I actually see him and Zobrist batting 1st and 2nd or vice-versa to start the season. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2015, 02:09:37 PM »

The Nationals offered him more. Upwards of 200M. Interesting he took nearly $20M less.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2015, 02:11:04 PM »
Has any type of opt-out been publicized?  Obviously a huge contract but I can live with it as a fan.  I actually see him and Zobrist batting 1st and 2nd or vice-versa to start the season.

Not that I've seen. That was the reported dollar amount. The Cubs have not officially confirmed.

Potential Line-up
1. Zobrist 2B
2. Heyward CF
3. Bryant 3B
4. Rizzo 1B
5. Soler RF
6. Schwarber LF
7. Montero C
8. Pitcher
9. Russell SS

Yikes.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2015, 02:21:59 PM »
Heyward's mentions on Twitter are ridiculous right now.  Not that they are representative of the entire fan base, but way to stay classy Cards fans.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2015, 02:28:26 PM »
Priceless. 

Of course any team can win it all once the playoffs start but the Cubs are a legit World Series contender.

Who said they weren't contenders?  They were World Series contenders last year.  I personally don't think Zobrist, Lackey, and Heyward guarantee a World Series championship, and I'll take the field.

If anything here is "priceless" it's a fanbase that hasn't seen a World Series in 108 years and counting claiming to be 2016 World Series champions in December of 2015.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 02:30:41 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2015, 02:41:44 PM »
Two opt outs in deal. First is after three years and it's a club opt out

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2015, 02:42:28 PM »

That's really nice for the Cubs.  Then again, money isn't the issue for the Cubs.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2015, 02:56:26 PM »

Cubs were 3rd in ERA in the MLB last year, 3rd in W, 1st in Ks, 1st in BA against...so besides lack of a VETERAN 3rd Starter (which I think Lackey can fill), I am not 100% going to blame pitching and welcome a guy like Heyward.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2015, 02:57:16 PM »
Who said they weren't contenders?  They were World Series contenders last year.  I personally don't think Zobrist, Lackey, and Heyward guarantee a World Series championship, and I'll take the field.

If anything here is "priceless" it's a fanbase that hasn't seen a World Series in 108 years and counting claiming to be 2016 World Series champions in December of 2015.

Come on....who actually guaranteed a champion?  I know more than anyone they are not guaranteed a championship, let alone a playoff spot (see 2004).  The Cubs are a better team right now than they were yesterday and that is reason to be happy.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2015, 02:58:04 PM »

If true, that's fantastic.  Of course, I haven't seen what he's getting those first three years.