collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB Offseason  (Read 33203 times)

drewm88

• All American
Re: MLB Offseason
« Reply #275 on: February 25, 2016, 01:42:13 PM »
I don't think Soler and Baez are going anywhere, at least this season.  That kind of depth is huge for a team that is going for the World Series.  Neither of them will complain either.

Agreed. Keep in mind there will be injuries, slumps, etc. Deal at the deadline if you have to, plus Fowler's on a 1 year deal. If I'm Baez or Soler, I can give it a year and see how things shake out.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #276 on: February 25, 2016, 01:53:01 PM »
Agreed. Keep in mind there will be injuries, slumps, etc. Deal at the deadline if you have to, plus Fowler's on a 1 year deal. If I'm Baez or Soler, I can give it a year and see how things shake out.

Exactly.  This helps the OF defense, will keep guys fresh, guards against injuries and slumps, as you mentioned.  The versatility of what Maddon can do with the lineup depending on the opposing SP is outstanding. 

I liked Cogs but he is going to get much more PT in Oakland.  Hopefully he does well and earns himself a nice contract. 

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #277 on: February 25, 2016, 03:05:18 PM »

I liked Cogs but he is going to get much more PT in Oakland.  Hopefully he does well and earns himself a nice contract.

I was a huge Cogs fan. I hope he does well with the A's.
I would have been fine with Heyward in center, but I'm glad he'll be out in right. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #278 on: February 25, 2016, 03:13:29 PM »
Seems poorly handled by Fowler.  Sucks for the O's.  Good for the Cubs.  I have a hard time believing that Fowler signed up to platoon at all.  It seems the point of the option would be to prove his value with another good year and get on the market again. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #279 on: February 25, 2016, 03:25:43 PM »
Seems poorly handled by Fowler.  Sucks for the O's.  Good for the Cubs.  I have a hard time believing that Fowler signed up to platoon at all.  It seems the point of the option would be to prove his value with another good year and get on the market again.

Why?  Because the media reported something that wasn't accurate?  Fowler asked for an opt-out after one year.  Baltimore did not want to give one and the Cubs would.  Surprising but I don't see any issue with it.   

Fowler will get the majority of time in CF but I see him starting 130-140 games instead of 150. 

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #280 on: February 25, 2016, 03:38:56 PM »
Completely unexpected moves.  If anyone can make it work it's Maddon.

Unexpected? I advocated signing Fowler no more than a week or two ago (but subsequently followed up to say it was also fine to wait and make a deadline deal for a CF). Timing aside, adding a CF should have been 100% expected by anyone who has seen Soler and Schwarber attempt to play defense. The defensive makeup of the roster had potential/likelihood to completely blow this season come playoff time.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #281 on: February 25, 2016, 03:57:54 PM »
Unexpected? I advocated signing Fowler no more than a week or two ago (but subsequently followed up to say it was also fine to wait and make a deadline deal for a CF). Timing aside, adding a CF should have been 100% expected by anyone who has seen Soler and Schwarber attempt to play defense. The defensive makeup of the roster had potential/likelihood to completely blow this season come playoff time.

Advocating for signing Fowler and it appearing to be a realistic option are two very, very different things.  It's not that they added an OF who can player CF that is the surprise.  It's that the OF turned out to be Fowler. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #282 on: February 25, 2016, 05:15:37 PM »
Passed up $15mil from the Cubs, 2 and 3 yr deals from the O's for a $8mil 1yr deal with the Cubs. Wow. Going after that ring.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #283 on: February 25, 2016, 05:48:19 PM »

Apologies for the size of the image.  Comments from Fowler's agent:

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #284 on: February 26, 2016, 11:05:48 AM »
Apologies for the size of the image.  Comments from Fowler's agent:

Gotta save some face when your client turns down a 1-year/$15.8M deal, doesn't get the 3-year/$35M deal he was looking for and ends up going back to his original team for half the qualifying offer.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #285 on: February 26, 2016, 11:16:49 AM »
Why?  Because the media reported something that wasn't accurate?  Fowler asked for an opt-out after one year.  Baltimore did not want to give one and the Cubs would.  Surprising but I don't see any issue with it.   

Fowler will get the majority of time in CF but I see him starting 130-140 games instead of 150.

Ok well maybe t wasn't poorly handled by Fowler.   It was poorly handled by the O's.  Yikes.   

🏀

• All American
« Reply #286 on: February 26, 2016, 11:26:32 AM »
Typical O's.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #287 on: February 26, 2016, 05:04:43 PM »
After hearing more about this, I'm not even sure it was poorly handled by the O's.  It seems very odd that neither side came out earlier and said there was no deal.  It seems odd that Fowler had a conversation with Jones that led him to believe he was coming before he was.  The whole situation is just odd.  Worked out great for the Cubs though.

But boy did Fowler screw his free agency.  If his heart was really with the Cubs, why not just take the QO?  He may have even been able to leverage that into a multiyear deal.  He cost himself a bit of dough to end up in the same spot.  Again, works out perfectly for the Cubs though.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #288 on: March 01, 2016, 03:12:02 PM »
Chapman was just handed a 30 game suspension. Says he won't appeal.

brandx

« Reply #289 on: March 01, 2016, 03:26:16 PM »
Chapman was just handed a 30 game suspension. Says he won't appeal.

He got off pretty easy - but from what I heard, he acknowledged his mistakes in a meeting the powers-that-be in MLB. That always counts for a lot.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #290 on: March 03, 2016, 01:22:06 PM »

feedback