[Today at 09:54:20 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PointWarrior
[Today at 12:57:23 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: It may mean nothing or it may mean everything  (Read 12674 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
It may mean nothing or it may mean everything
« on: October 27, 2015, 09:16:32 AM »
Clearly I'm in desperate need of the season to start because I'm about to go down a deep rabbit hole.  I happened to go on the official Marquette basketball app and take a look at the roster.  Listed were the following players and their positions:

Sacar=G/F
Wally=G
Haanif=G
Hank=F
JjJ=G

So if G=1,2 and F=3,4.....no Wally or JjJ at the 3?  Or if G=1,2,3 and F=4 (Luke and Matt are listed as C) then only Sacar and Hank are playing the 4?  Are we running big line-ups?

Generally I think there will be a lot of fluidity to the roster, but the fact they bothered to make Sacar a G/F got the crazy wheels rolling.

Does this tell us anything?  Is this like assuming Stonehenge means something?  How do they size straight jackets?

Thoughts?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
Re: It may mean nothing or it may mean everything
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 09:34:26 AM »
Clearly I'm in desperate need of the season to start because I'm about to go down a deep rabbit hole.  I happened to go on the official Marquette basketball app and take a look at the roster.  Listed were the following players and their positions:

Sacar=G/F
Wally=G
Haanif=G
Hank=F
JjJ=G

So if G=1,2 and F=3,4.....no Wally or JjJ at the 3?  Or if G=1,2,3 and F=4 (Luke and Matt are listed as C) then only Sacar and Hank are playing the 4?  Are we running big line-ups?

Generally I think there will be a lot of fluidity to the roster, but the fact they bothered to make Sacar a G/F got the crazy wheels rolling.

Does this tell us anything?  Is this like assuming Stonehenge means something?  How do they size straight jackets?

Thoughts?

I assume this doesn't tell us anything and that if Wojo wants to play a lineup with Wally at the 4, for example, he will do just that. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 09:37:12 AM »
It tell us that Wojo views G as 1,2,3 and F as 4,5 and C as 5. Sacar is the backup 4.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 09:40:42 AM »
Wonder why no heights are listed?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 09:42:49 AM »
So what is the ideal line-up if Hank is out and Luke is in?  Who plays the 4?  Who plays the 3?

Who gets more minutes, Sacar or Wally?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 09:44:45 AM »
I think I am tired of people thinking that coaches slot players into the traditional 1-5 positions.  It is about filling roles and exploiting match-ups.  Sure each player has a position on the floor in the offense, but everyone will know where everyone needs to be.  So while you won't see Duane or JJJ playing the post, my guess is that if Wojo thinks MU can go small to its advantage, Henry can play the post and know exactly where he needs to be.

So don't worry too much about how positions are labelled.  It doesn't really matter.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 09:48:29 AM »
So what is the ideal line-up if Hank is out and Luke is in?  Who plays the 4?  Who plays the 3?

Who gets more minutes, Sacar or Wally?
Who understands their role better and plays better defense?    One of the weaknesses of this team is that there is no one in the 6'7 to 6'9 range.     When Henry sits, MU will have little choice but to play small.    Who will best be able to defend the opposing 4?   Does Sandy's 25 extra pounds earn him time at the 4?  Or is that when Wojo throws some traps and some zone out there?   One of the many questions.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 09:50:19 AM »
Who understands their role better and plays better defense?    One of the weaknesses of this team is that there is no one in the 6'7 to 6'9 range.     When Henry sits, MU will have little choice but to play small.    Who will best be able to defend the opposing 4?   Does Sandy's 25 extra pounds earn him time at the 4?  Or is that when Wojo throws some traps and some zone out there?   One of the many questions.

Which is why I have been saying, even if HE comes back next year, there is a role for a guy like Willis on this team.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 09:56:44 AM »
I think I am tired of people thinking that coaches slot players into the traditional 1-5 positions.  It is about filling roles and exploiting match-ups.  Sure each player has a position on the floor in the offense, but everyone will know where everyone needs to be.  So while you won't see Duane or JJJ playing the post, my guess is that if Wojo thinks MU can go small to its advantage, Henry can play the post and know exactly where he needs to be.

So don't worry too much about how positions are labelled.  It doesn't really matter.

Exactly. Basketball has become a game where there are basically only 3 positions:  point guard, post, wing. And even those are interchangeable at times.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 10:04:29 AM »
Exactly. Basketball has become a game where there are basically only 3 positions:  point guard, post, wing. And even those are interchangeable at times.

A point, a post and three switchables. Sounds about right.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 10:04:42 AM »
I think I am tired of people thinking that coaches slot players into the traditional 1-5 positions. 

Fin.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 10:10:17 AM »
A point, a post and three switchables. Sounds about right.

Why does that seem so familiar?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 10:38:19 AM »
I guess my point was not to slot people into a number position, but more as a frame of reference to what players might play together.

If Hank and Luke both go to the bench, what does that line up look like(and does it ever happen)?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2015, 10:41:14 AM »
I guess my point was not to slot people into a number position, but more as a frame of reference to what players might play together.

If Hank and Luke both go to the bench, what does that line up look like(and does it ever happen)?

It will happen occasionally due to fouls and fatigue.     IMO, we then see Heldt, probably 3 of the 6'5-6 guys (Wally, Sandy, JJJ, Cheatham, Sacar) and Duane.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 10:47:59 AM by tower912 »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2015, 10:44:54 AM »

In that scenario, defense will dictate what happens. Offensively, MU will play four out more often than not, as Henry will have license to roam.

Heldt goes in at center, and as you said either Sacar or Wally slide in at the 4 depending on the matchup.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2015, 10:50:15 AM »
I just don't see many scenarios in which neither Henry nor Luke will be on the floor.  I think you are talking about early season tinkering, blow outs or grabbing 30 seconds of rest before a TV timeout.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2015, 11:09:51 AM »
Don't forget that Lazar played the 5 at just 6-foot-6. He was a matchup nightmare for opposing post players who couldn't defend out to the 3-point line. And he was a surprisingly good defender himself, even when giving up several inches (or more) in height.

If you've got a lineup stacked with talent and versatility, that's every coach's dream.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2015, 11:14:23 AM »
Don't forget that Lazar played the 5 at just 6-foot-6. He was a matchup nightmare for opposing post players who couldn't defend out to the 3-point line. And he was a surprisingly good defender himself, even when giving up several inches (or more) in height.

If you've got a lineup stacked with talent and versatility, that's every coach's dream.

And MU was quite successful with a front line of Butler and Crowder.   But the players have to be willing to put in the effort down low.   Lazar, Jimmy, and Jae were true warriors.   You can't assume that a 6'5 guy is going to succeed down low. 

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2015, 11:45:40 AM »
If MU has defensive mis-matches you will probably see more zone than man.  MU's bigs are not really athletic or quick, team chemistry as you can tell has changed.
Jimmy, Jae, were true Warriors and athletic, the 3 bigs MU have are not.  Anim will have to play the 4 at times as there is no one else with bulk.  That is why Willis or a
player like him is important the following year.  MU right now does not have that athletic big. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2015, 11:52:12 AM »
I would never classify Jimmy or Jae as "bigs."  Fischer has four or five inches on both of them, and while he isn't as athletic as Jimmy or Jae, I think it a bit unfair to compare him to established NBA players. 

And I think Luke is plenty athletic enough to be a major college center. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2015, 11:53:09 AM »
Eng, don't you have a baby coming in about 15 minutes?  Chilax brother.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2015, 11:58:34 AM »
I would never classify Jimmy or Jae as "bigs."  Fischer has four or five inches on both of them, and while he isn't as athletic as Jimmy or Jae, I think it a bit unfair to compare him to established NBA players. 

Never said they were bigs in the true sense, but they played big at the time for MU.  MU has really 3 bigs this year, but could you see these players guarding Jae,
or Lazar or Jimmy.  What a mis-match.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2015, 12:02:57 PM »
I really appreciated Jae more after the Pistons drafted Andre Drummond, I saw how he did against NBA centers, and I realized that Jae, all 6'5 of him, used to stymie Drummond. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2015, 12:06:32 PM »
Never said they were bigs in the true sense, but they played big at the time for MU.  MU has really 3 bigs this year, but could you see these players guarding Jae,
or Lazar or Jimmy.  What a mis-match.

You are asking if Luke, Matt or Henry could guard Lazar, Jae or Jimmy?

Well I haven't seen Henry play defense yet so I have no clue.  But Lazar, Jae and Jimmy were all NBA draft picks and Jae was the player of the year in the BE.  So many players would have trouble guarding them with much success.

Furthermore, why would you expect your centers to guard wing players? 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2015, 12:16:31 PM »

Yup.  If people saw Luke on the volleyball court for Germantown they would certainly not be saying he was unathletic.  Not as quick as Big East guards or wings?  Well, sure.  But considering he's a 6'11" big, I wouldn't expect him to be.  For his size he is a very athletic guy.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter