[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PointWarrior
[Today at 12:57:23 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by PointWarrior
[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[April 30, 2024, 04:18:31 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: It may mean nothing or it may mean everything  (Read 12670 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: It may mean nothing or it may mean everything
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2015, 12:28:15 PM »
Eng, don't you have a baby coming in about 15 minutes?  Chilax brother.

Two weeks to go....much rather worry* about this than that :)

*not really worried about this either, just like to play the crazed fan/$hit stirrer from time to time.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2015, 12:29:43 PM »

Furthermore, why would you expect your centers to guard wing players?

You're Tom Crean and can't recruit a big for $1000 Alex
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

brandx

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2015, 12:43:15 PM »
Who understands their role better and plays better defense?    One of the weaknesses of this team is that there is no one in the 6'7 to 6'9 range.     When Henry sits, MU will have little choice but to play small.    Who will best be able to defend the opposing 4?   Does Sandy's 25 extra pounds earn him time at the 4?  Or is that when Wojo throws some traps and some zone out there?   One of the many questions.

Good point. John Hammonds always says you are who you can defend. Will Sacar or Sandy be able to defend at '4' when necessary? I guess we will find out.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2015, 12:57:24 PM »

*not really worried about this either, just like to play the crazed fan/$hit stirrer from time to time.

If child comes late and is born during the Belmont game, will you name your child Wojo WHEN they win?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2015, 01:06:33 PM »
If child comes late and is born during the Belmont game, will you name your child Wojo WHEN they win?

On the list of things I'm going to get buy in from my wife(badger fan, we all have flaws) on the day she is giving birth, this one is like #672 right after me going to bar with buddies to celebrate and right before me sneaking off in a closet with one of the delivery nurses.  ;D

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2015, 01:48:25 PM »
my wife (badger fan, we all have flaws)

Thoughts and prayers.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2015, 02:19:38 PM »
No, under Buzz, they were centers.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2015, 02:27:15 PM »
No, under Buzz, they were centers.

Hayward was in Buzz's second year due to an incomplete roster, but Jae was only occasionally when Otule and Gardner were either out or injured.  I don't recall Jimmy ever playing center.

To say that "they were centers" is an enormous exaggeration. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2015, 02:34:06 PM »
Correct.    Otule was supposed to be the center and was injury prone.   Gardner got hurt.  Fulce got hurt.   Mbao came and went.   Jamil played very well as an undersized 5 with Crowder.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2015, 02:36:54 PM »
Jimmy was the power forward, small forward, 2 guard, he guarded there best player at those positions.  I am trying to get across the point that the 2 bigs now are not
the type of players Buzz recruited during his stay here, will see which is better.  I still see Lopez scoring over MU against Stanford.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2015, 03:01:08 PM »

Hayward was in Buzz's second year due to an incomplete roster, but Jae was only occasionally when Otule and Gardner were either out or injured.  I don't recall Jimmy ever playing center.

To say that "they were centers" is an enormous exaggeration.

McMurrow counts too right?  Wasn't our fault his heart wasn't in it.  HEY OH!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2015, 03:02:48 PM »
Jimmy was the power forward, small forward, 2 guard, he guarded there best player at those positions.  I am trying to get across the point that the 2 bigs now are not
the type of players Buzz recruited during his stay here, will see which is better.  I still see Lopez scoring over MU against Stanford.

If you are simply saying that Jimmy Butler is a better basketball player than Luke Fischer, then just say that.  Most would agree.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2015, 03:45:41 PM »
On the list of things I'm going to get buy in from my wife(badger fan, we all have flaws) on the day she is giving birth, this one is like #672 right after me going to bar with buddies to celebrate and right before me sneaking off in a closet with one of the delivery nurses.  ;D

Queue chick with her story about being left home alone with 2 kids under 30 months when I roadtripped to the Sweet 16 with buddies as the guest of Mark Anglavar back in '94. 

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2015, 03:48:57 PM »

If you are simply saying that Jimmy Butler is a better basketball player than Luke Fischer, then just say that.  Most would agree.

No, I am not saying that at all.  I am saying that Buzz did not recruit tall white kids at all, MU has 3 of them now.   He recruited a different type of athlete then Wojo has
on his team right now.  Maybe a better student-athlete for sure now. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2015, 03:57:05 PM »
No, I am not saying that at all.  I am saying that Buzz did not recruit tall white kids at all, MU has 3 of them now.   He recruited a different type of athlete then Wojo has
on his team right now.  Maybe a better student-athlete for sure now. 

Luke Fischer and Henry Ellenson are much more athletic than the bigs Buzz recruited.  Chris Otule and Davante Gardner?  Not to mention Aaron Durley and Yous Mbao.

Oh and Otule and Gardner graduated.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2015, 04:26:15 PM »
Yes, Buzz was not able to recruit athletes like Luke and Ellenson,  he recruited all stiffs at center, all not rated or 1 star athletes.  Buzz gets an F at that position for
sure.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2015, 05:34:58 PM »
Eng, don't you have a baby coming in about 15 minutes? 

dude...
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2015, 11:57:29 PM »

I tell you, man, I am going to be SO honored when you name the little guy "MU82."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

LA

• Starter
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2015, 12:16:22 AM »
Yes, Buzz was not able to recruit athletes like Luke and Ellenson,  he recruited all stiffs at center, all not rated or 1 star athletes.  Buzz gets an F at that position for
sure.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Buzz actually bring in Luke?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2015, 07:18:58 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Buzz actually bring in Luke?

Yep
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2015, 07:55:09 AM »
Do Monterale Clark and McKay count as Buzz bigs?

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2015, 07:44:12 AM »
It will happen occasionally due to fouls and fatigue.     IMO, we then see Heldt, probably 3 of the 6'5-6 guys (Wally, Sandy, JJJ, Cheatham, Sacar) and Duane.

Take your starting PG out of the game to get more height because you're playing your least experienced post player?  That doesn't sound sound to me.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2015, 09:27:24 AM »
Duane is perfectly capable as a point.   If Cheatham is in the game, he can handle, too.  Give Heldt a little help up front, and it isn't as if there are a lot of other options, anyway.       If Henry and Luke are out and Heldt is in, some combination of 4 of the other 7 will be in the game.  I listed everyone except Carter, because I definitely want Duane on the floor if Henry and Luke are out, and IMO, I would go for size at in that instance.    But if, for example, it was Duane, JJJ, Wally, and Sandy, you would have the other 4 guys with D-1 experience, as well as size, on the floor with Heldt, and I don't view that as bad.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2015, 10:34:30 AM »
sure.

Davante is the best center by far we had at MU since Robert Jackson, and one of the most under-appreciated players in recent memory. It's a shame his senior season was ruined by opponents sagging into the lane on him. Sickening to watch game after game, I felt so bad for him. Even with that handicap, he still put up monster numbers.

You can't look at a guy like Davante and give any HC that brought him in an F at the position.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2015, 12:01:02 PM »
Davante is the best center by far we had at MU since Robert Jackson, and one of the most under-appreciated players in recent memory. It's a shame his senior season was ruined by opponents sagging into the lane on him. Sickening to watch game after game, I felt so bad for him. Even with that handicap, he still put up monster numbers.

You can't look at a guy like Davante and give any HC that brought him in an F at the position.

I see your point, but I wouldn't consider Davante a center.  He was really a PF.  Yes, he played the 5 quite often, but that still doesn't mean he was a center.  If we were to use that logic, we would have to consider Lazar his senior year as a center.

feedback