Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette recieves a top 25 vote!  (Read 7573 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Marquette recieves a top 25 vote!
« on: October 15, 2015, 11:22:14 AM »
I know it's preseason, and I know it's just one vote but I can't be the only one who's excited about just seeing Marquette's name on this list again!

http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/basketball-men/polls/coaches-poll/
Maigh Eo for Sam

lurch91

• All American
Re: Marquette recieves a top 25 vote!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 11:37:39 AM »
Counted 6 Big East teams getting votes, but only 2 Big East teams ranked in the preseason Top 25.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 11:58:29 AM »
Belmont got twice as many votes as we did.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 12:08:24 PM »

We're screwed.

In all seriousness, we could find ourselves ranked real quickly if we can get off to a 3-0 start. Wins over Belmont and Iowa in the first two games would be deserving of a top 25 spot. The first poll of the season will be released after the Belmont game, and the 2nd poll will be released between the Iowa game and the LSU game. We definitely have an early opportunity in front of us over the first few weeks.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 12:17:03 PM »
We're screwed.

In all seriousness, we could find ourselves ranked real quickly if we can get off to a 3-0 start. Wins over Belmont and Iowa in the first two games would be deserving of a top 25 spot. The first poll of the season will be released after the Belmont game, and the 2nd poll will be released between the Iowa game and the LSU game. We definitely have an early opportunity in front of us over the first few weeks.

3-0 would get us a lot more votes, though home wins against teams also receiving may not get us ranked. Now if we started 5-0...
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 12:17:26 PM »
Must have been Jeter, who else has ties to us?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 12:17:54 PM »

Crean

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 12:19:56 PM »
We're screwed.

I'm not sure if I'd believe that we'd be ranked unless there were some big upsets by then. Though I do think beating Iowa and Belmont could get us up by Michigan and Louisville in the polls. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 12:21:55 PM »

Does Buzz have a vote?

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 12:22:08 PM »
3-0 would get us a lot more votes, though home wins against teams also receiving may not get us ranked. Now if we started 5-0...

Beating Belmont and Iowa wouldn't prove we're a top 25 team. But there's usually a lot of early season movement toward the bottom of the rankings (18-25 range). Obviously, most teams are playing cupcakes the first week of the season, so I think it'd be enough to get us into the 22-25 range. 5-0? Probably would get us up near 15 I'd imagine. But that's unlikely, IMO.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 12:26:57 PM »

I'd guess JTIII, since his team was following us around Italy, and he probably watched lots of video of MU to scout the other teams.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 12:31:53 PM »
I'd guess JTIII, since his team was following us around Italy, and he probably watched lots of video of MU to scout the other teams.

He didn't vote, McDermott voted so it's probably him.
Maigh Eo for Sam

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2015, 01:16:12 PM »
We're screwed.

Just curious, why would home wins against two unranked teams make us deserving of a Top 25 spot?

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2015, 01:38:39 PM »
Just curious, why would home wins against two unranked teams make us deserving of a Top 25 spot?

Because it's one win over a top 35 team, and another over a top 75 (?) team, which would be far more impressive than what most teams have accomplished to that point.

I'm not saying we'd be "deserving" but there is usually fluctuation at the beginning of the season. We have a far more challenging slate over our first 5 games than most teams, so if we win them then we would probably be ranked. After that, the rest of our non conference games (minus Wisconsin) are basically guaranteed wins. Our non-con schedule is frontloaded, which is relatively uncommon.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2015, 02:02:46 PM »

I'm thinking it's him too: Greg McDermott, Creighton
SS Marquette

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2015, 06:13:32 PM »

Agreed. The thing with Belmont is they have 2 votes, which likely means one person on the panel put them at #24. Beating them won't get much attention, especially at home. Iowa might draw a little more because of the Gavitt Games, but landing on FS1 instead of ESPN won't help. Also, like Belmont, Iowa's ranking is likely the actions of maybe 2-3 coaches, or possibly just one guy that had them at 18.

I'm not too worried about being ranked, but I do think it would take a 5-0 start to get there. On the plus side, if we start 5-0, we will also start 9-0. No chance we lose any of those games between NYC and Madison.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2015, 06:22:26 PM »
I know it's preseason, and I know it's just one vote but I can't be the only one who's excited about just seeing Marquette's name on this list again!

http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/basketball-men/polls/coaches-poll/

Proof that there is intelligent life in the universe.

Just not everywhere.

Wisconsin 17th?  They might come up with a very good team after suffering very big losses, but they should have to show some indication of it first.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 06:25:00 PM by Crean to Ann Arbor »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2015, 08:02:42 PM »
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2015, 09:22:35 PM »
The downhome phony cowboy.

You forgot lonesome
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2015, 09:41:21 PM »
The downhome phony cowboy.

Willie, you're getting crabby again.  Grab a Mazos burger.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2015, 10:43:12 PM »
Soooooo.......

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2015, 10:55:34 PM »
Wisconsin 17th?  They might come up with a very good team after suffering very big losses, but they should have to show some indication of it first.

Five Big Ten teams in the top 25.  If you're looking at it from the "Bo always finishes fourth or better" POV, you have to have them in there.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Class71

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2015, 04:09:42 AM »

GM might want to help the BE rankings.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2015, 11:55:26 AM »

Details!

(I guess I should click on links before commenting)

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2015, 12:45:48 PM »
Because it's one win over a top 35 team, and another over a top 75 (?) team, which would be far more impressive than what most teams have accomplished to that point.

I'm not saying we'd be "deserving" but there is usually fluctuation at the beginning of the season. We have a far more challenging slate over our first 5 games than most teams, so if we win them then we would probably be ranked. After that, the rest of our non conference games (minus Wisconsin) are basically guaranteed wins. Our non-con schedule is frontloaded, which is relatively uncommon.

That's just not the way rankings work in college basketball. We could win 3 games, but if no one ahead of us loses, even if they are just to cupcakes, we aren't moving up. Higher ranked teams must lose, and we must win. You need both if you aren't playing a top 25 team.

feedback