collapse

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 03:31:34 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 03:21:55 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Portillo's  (Read 29123 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Portillo's
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2015, 11:02:03 AM »
I live a few minutes from a Portillo's, and while it may not be what it once was, it's still pretty darn good.  Don't forget about the chocolate cake either.

Yes.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2015, 12:04:36 PM »
The private equity firm that bought Portillo's has made it clear they plan to expand Portillo's into a much larger chain, probably akin to Culver's, which is now in 20+ states. I wouldn't be surprised to see Portillo's expand throughout the midwest fairly quickly.

I live in Chicago and enjoy Portillo's. Their hotdogs and Italian beef are good, and the chopped salad is excellent. But it isn't as amazing as some people make it seem. It is one of many decent choices in the "fast casual" market.

As for the Chicago pizza debate, of the big 3, Gino's is my favorite. However, there are many independent pizza places in Chicago that are better than the "Big 3" for deep dish. Pequod's and JB Alberto's immediately come to mind.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 01:00:01 PM by gomuhilltoppers »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2015, 12:10:54 PM »
The private equity firm that bought Portillo's has made it clear they plan to expand Portillo's into a much larger chain, probably akin to Culver's, which is now in 20+ states. I wouldn't be surprised to see Portillo's expand throughout the midwest fairly quickly.

I live in Chicago and enjoy Portillo's. Their hotdogs and Italian beef are good, and the chopped salad is excellent. But it is't as amazing as some people make it seem. It is one of many decent choices in the "fast casual" market.

As for the Chicago pizza debate, of the big 3, Gino's is my favorite. However, there are many independent pizza places in Chicago that are better than the "Big 3" for deep dish. Pequod's and JB Alberto's immediately come to mind.

Love JB Albertos thought I only got the thin crust from there and never the deep dish. Man, the amount of times I ordered from there is insane to think about. Helps when you grew up in Rogers Park.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2015, 12:59:37 PM »
Love JB Albertos thought I only got the thin crust from there and never the deep dish. Man, the amount of times I ordered from there is insane to think about. Helps when you grew up in Rogers Park.

Where in Rogers Park? My first place in Chicago was on Sheridan and Lunt.

I no longer live in Rogers Park but JB's still delivers to me :-)

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2015, 03:34:32 PM »
Give Pizzeria Scotty a try. Their Chicago Pan style pizza is awesome, and I'm partial to the Pepperoni Supreme toppings. If you get an order of their Deep Fried Garlic Bread Sticks you'll be hooked.

It's not as good as Lou Malnati's, but better than Giordano's (imo).
Ok, Skat just called in my order for the Cubs game. Malnati's for lunch tomorrow. Sheffield's for day drinking during Cubs game tomorrow. #prettynice24hours

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2015, 04:01:35 PM »
Unfortunately it doesn't always translate.  When chick and I were first married we lived in West Newton, MA. Our local carry out chicken?  The original family owned single store Boston Market. Single steam table and about 4 chickens roasting just in case they had a rush.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2015, 05:22:47 PM »
Unfortunately it doesn't always translate.  When chick and I were first married we lived in West Newton, MA. Our local carry out chicken?  The original family owned single store Boston Market. Single steam table and about 4 chickens roasting just in case they had a rush.

It was Boston Chicken back then. Whole place couldn't have been more than 300 square feet. Carryout only. Had the decor of a grade school cafeteria line.
Have some patience, FFS.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2015, 06:10:16 PM »
Actually, it started out as a mobile hot dog stand in Villa Park (suburbs FTW!).  jsglow has actually met Mr. Portillo.  He had a great story about the many banks that denied him a $750 loan so it could have running water.  Once he was super successful and they came knocking on his door begging for his business, he derived great pleasure in telling them all to go pound sand.

It got bought out by a venture capital firm within the last few years. I don't know if they expanded to California before or after that, but my guess is that they opened there first because of all the Chicago transplants that live out there that apparently couldn't get a decent hot dog to save their lives.

The SoCal location near Knotts Berry Farm is DELICIOUS.
SS Marquette

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2015, 09:11:35 PM »
Yeah, In-n-Out's not happening.  It's completely family owned, no franchising, and the family is not particularly interested in expanding this far east.

Same with pinks hotdogs-family owned since 1939, and probably wouldn't want to expand this Far East either.  Big west coast following. On my top 5 places I have to hit when in Vegas-outside of planet Hollywood.  Pastrami burrito dog and the bacon burrito dog are killers
don't...don't don't don't don't

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2015, 01:04:13 PM »
Since we are on the subject of eating establishments, Sunday morning, Mrs. C and I went to grab some breakfast and do some grocery shopping at a brand new HyVee.  Holy cow, was the brunch good!  Just fantastic.  I mean top quality.  The prime rib, carved to order, salmon, shrimp cocktail, the omelet station, the eggs benedict....

They also run a bottomless bloody mary deal on Sundays.  $10 for all you can drink.  They make their bloodies with Zing Zang.  Included in the price are free toppings.....shrimp, thick cut candied bacon, pepperoni, pepperjack cheese, and an assortment of veggies for the vegan crowd.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2015, 01:47:59 PM »
At least I can rest easy knowing that Portillo's isn't going to rip off my "Milwaukee Dog" recipe:

Benny's "Milwaukee Dog"

Everything good about Chicago (kosher beef dog, celery salt, onions, tomatoes, pickle, sport peppers, poppy seed bun) with much less pollution (regular relish, not the radioactive stuff) and none of the pretentiousness (you want ketchup, done; you want deli mustard, done; you want none, done).
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2015, 02:01:27 PM »
Where in Rogers Park? My first place in Chicago was on Sheridan and Lunt.

I no longer live in Rogers Park but JB's still delivers to me :-)

Near Ridge and Pratt. By Warren park

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2015, 09:59:35 PM »
The SoCal location near Knotts Berry Farm is DELICIOUS.

Yes it is.  My son was at Knotts Scary Farm (Halloween deal) until 1:00am last night....just down the road.  We will hit Portillo's a few times a year.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2015, 08:07:34 AM »
Gepetto's in Oak Park used to make a good deep dish back in the day. Legs, are they as good as I rember!

Still going strong and not bad--but my local go to pizza is Armand's.  New place Forno Rosso on Harlem near Diversy is excellent for the opposite of the deep dish experience--wafer thin crust - Neapolitan style - in brick fired oven (1,000 degrees)--takes about 90 seconds to fire up a pie.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2015, 08:54:15 AM »
Give Pizzeria Scotty a try. Their Chicago Pan style pizza is awesome, and I'm partial to the Pepperoni Supreme toppings. If you get an order of their Deep Fried Garlic Bread Sticks you'll be hooked.

It's not as good as Lou Malnati's, but better than Giordano's (imo).
My Pizzeria Scotty experiment went pretty well. The deep fried garlic breadsticks were definitely a hit. The Chicago style pizza was very good as well. I prefer the crisper, buttery crust of Malnati's vs. the more doughy version at Scotty. The sauce was outstanding. Definitely will go back and appreciate the recommendation. Always good to try something new.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2016, 09:59:20 AM »
I'm going to try to go out to the Brookfield location Friday night.  I'm wondering how long of a wait there will be.  The thing that makes me hopeful that it won't be long is that all the locations in the Chicago area are always packed anyways and it moves along just fine.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2016, 10:37:18 AM »
Is dis kinda like Porcini's, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2016, 10:52:01 AM »
Is dis kinda like Porcini's, hey?

Nope.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2016, 12:18:28 PM »
I'm going to try to go out to the Brookfield location Friday night.  I'm wondering how long of a wait there will be.  The thing that makes me hopeful that it won't be long is that all the locations in the Chicago area are always packed anyways and it moves along just fine.

The ordering system they have at Portllo's is a thing of beauty. Both inside and outside,  I have never waited an unreasonable amount of time no matter how long the line is. It is a Six Sigma  wet dream.
Have some patience, FFS.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2016, 12:32:38 PM »
The ordering system they have at Portllo's is a thing of beauty. Both inside and outside,  I have never waited an unreasonable amount of time no matter how long the line is. It is a Six Sigma  wet dream.

Agreed.  The efficiency is great.  Hopefully it's just as efficient in Brookfield and the crowds aren't too crazy.  I don't think it will be, but wouldn't be shocked if it was.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2016, 02:59:04 PM »
I lost my mind on a recent trip and ordered the French Dip at Friday's, hoping it was at least a little like Portillo's.

It sucked the big one, was full of fat and gristle, and I ended up eating about an eighth of the sammich. I should have complained and demanded my money back but I was road-weary.

All it did was make me long for Portillo's all the more!!!!!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2016, 02:15:53 PM »
Within a mile of my house there is a Portillo's, Lou Malnati's and a Binny's.  I am truly blessed.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2016, 02:17:22 PM »
Within a mile of my house there is a Portillo's, Lou Malnati's and a Binny's.  I am truly blessed.

Living the dream.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2016, 02:25:37 PM »

Same with me, portillos may be a smidge further than a mile but they also just put a giordanos a block away from the Lou's.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2016, 02:50:39 PM »
Bah, I have at least 7 Walgreens within a mile of my house