collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Nukem2
[Today at 02:29:23 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:00:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Movers  (Read 1685 times)

jutaw22mu

• All American
Movers
« on: July 24, 2017, 09:55:41 AM »
My company is paying to have my items shipped.  Is it proper etiquette to tip the movers?  What is an appropriate amount for each guy (there are two and I think it will be about 3 hrs of work). 

Thanks!

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
Re: Movers
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 10:25:40 AM »
I typically do like $20-$25 for the regular movers and $50-60 for foreman. I just put the cash in an envelope for the foreman. Also, always have bottled water for the team.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 11:50:36 AM »
I've always hired movers via UHaul's website or through friends/acquaintances, and everything was always in boxes when they arrived, so there was never any packing/organization, just pick up the box and move it to/from the truck.  So I've never had a "foreman" on the job, but have always started with $10 per person per hour as a baseline (with a $20 minimum) and then increased from there according to conditions/performance.  For example, I'll give the guys (or gals -- have had a couple female movers before) a spiff if there are stairs, how securely they pack the truck, if damage is minimal, etc.

Most I've tipped was $150 to two guys for a two-hour job... there was supposed to be three guys for a 2-3 hours (same as when I moved in), so I had figured at most $50/person tip.  Their third guy didn't show yet the other two guys were surgical; didn't so much as nick a corner or bump a wall.  So I just gave them the whole envelope.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 04:06:43 PM »
My company is paying to have my items shipped.  Is it proper etiquette to tip the movers?  What is an appropriate amount for each guy (there are two and I think it will be about 3 hrs of work). 

Yes, tipping is appropriate. If it's a simple move & 3 hours, I'd flip em probably $30 each unless they're excellent, then maybe $50 and a couple old VHS pr0ns if you've got em
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 07:02:56 PM »
 :-[

Thanks!

Take care of the driver and he takes care of the crew on both sides (pack/unload).  If they are in for packing I also find getting lunch for the crew goes a long way.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 11:18:35 PM »
Pay for their lunch and $50 per person.  About what you would pay a caddie.   
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 08:57:26 PM »
Thanks for the feedback!  I went with $40 for each guy.  Probably should have bought lunch too but they claimed they didn't want anything.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 09:26:09 PM »
I never tip them... but feed them well.  2 coffee breaks with sodas and coffee and tea, lots of cold water, tasty snacks (usually home made to use up stuff in the kitchen) and lunch.  Done it 15 times (corporate moves)... and when I have multiple moves from the same city or inter-city moves I had the crews requesting to come and work for us.  I also usually pick the best 2 guys and hire them "off the books" after the move to hang all the pictures, wire up the stereo/tv, move all the furniture 38 times until the dragon is happy, put everything on shelves/in closets, and take away all boxes.  After one week the full house looks perfect. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

feedback