collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Portillo's  (Read 29137 times)

RJax55

• All American
Re: Portillo's
« Reply #125 on: August 04, 2016, 09:10:05 AM »
Regarding Chicago beef johnnies all day, I grew up by the original but where's the second location?

Arlington Heights

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #126 on: August 04, 2016, 10:02:30 AM »
Maigh Eo for Sam

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #127 on: August 10, 2016, 08:16:33 PM »
Made my 1st trip today.   

I ordered an Italian Sausage, figuring it had to be one of their specialties, and I love Italian Sausage.

It was pretty dry and almost a little burned.

My suspicion was confirmed when I got home and my wife asked me if I had smoked a cigar.

I may have to give it one more go, but for now I put it in a class with Applebee's and Chili's.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #128 on: August 10, 2016, 10:10:47 PM »
Coming to Harwood Heights, IL. Will be competing with Buona Beef at that location not to mention...LUKE'S!!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #129 on: August 10, 2016, 10:37:23 PM »
Made my 1st trip today.   

I ordered an Italian Sausage, figuring it had to be one of their specialties, and I love Italian Sausage.

My suspicion was confirmed when I got home and my wife asked me if I had smoked a cigar.

I may have to give it one more go, but for now I put it in a class with Applebee's and Chili's.

Dumb.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #130 on: August 10, 2016, 10:45:28 PM »
Made my 1st trip today.   

I'll give you your order for next time because you did something wrong.

Italian Beef, dipped, with sweet peppers
Large cheese fries
Small chocolate shake

You're welcome

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #131 on: August 10, 2016, 10:59:53 PM »
Italian sausage is not Portillos strong suit.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #132 on: August 11, 2016, 08:54:49 AM »
Dumb.
So, Portillo's is never to be criticized?

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #133 on: August 11, 2016, 08:56:23 AM »
Shouldn't be on the menu if it gives cigar breath.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #134 on: August 11, 2016, 09:12:23 AM »
I'd go for either an italian beef, but with hot giardiniera, or a Vienna Beef Chicago dog.  The rest is pretty pedestrian.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #135 on: August 11, 2016, 09:56:36 AM »
I'd go for either an italian beef, but with hot giardiniera, or a Vienna Beef Chicago dog.  The rest is pretty pedestrian.

I guess it depends on what you're comparing it to.  If you understand that you're going to a fast food joint and not an extravagant high level supper club or something it's pretty dang good.  Is a burger from there good compared to an Oscar's Pub burger?  Of course not.  But if you compare the burger to other like burgers (fast food), it's pretty high up there.  I'd put it on par with the likes of Culver's or In N Out but worse than a Kopp's.  Their Italian beef is pretty much solid for any type of restaurant, fast food or not.  And hot dogs are pretty much a food that you'll only find at a fast food restaurant.  Their fries alone I wouldn't say are good, fast food or not, but add the cheese sauce and they become solid fast food.  Their shakes, smoothies, and desserts are all solid, in my opinion.  But again, that's for a fast food setting.  Compare that to a Simma's Bakery and of course the dessert compares horribly.  But compare it to a Culver's shake and it holds its own, in my opinion.

Shouldn't be on the menu if it gives cigar breath.

Give the Italian beef/Italian sausage combo a try.  It's pretty good.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Goose

• All American
« Reply #136 on: August 11, 2016, 04:24:11 PM »
Real chili

I am with you on what to order. I usually get both but with one local I might be good and change it up every time there. Sitting here in middle of nowhere China and my mouth is watering.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #137 on: August 11, 2016, 04:32:31 PM »
Had Portillo's for lunch today.  Cheeseburger, cheese fries, strawberry smoothie, chocolate cake.  While their main course food is solid, it's the cheese fries, cake, and smoothies that put it above most others in my opinion.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #138 on: August 11, 2016, 05:13:26 PM »
Real chili

I am with you on what to order. I usually get both but with one local I might be good and change it up every time there. Sitting here in middle of nowhere China and my mouth is watering.

Goose,

This link is for you.   :P  http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/how-to-make-chicago-style-italian-beef-at-home-sandwich-recipe.html

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #139 on: August 11, 2016, 07:06:20 PM »
Had Portillo's for lunch today.  Cheeseburger, cheese fries, strawberry smoothie, chocolate cake.  While their main course food is solid, it's the cheese fries, cake, and smoothies that put it above most others in my opinion.

Love me some chocolate mayonnaise cake from Portillo's.

The chocolate cake shake is truly special.

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #140 on: August 13, 2016, 01:50:34 PM »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #141 on: August 13, 2016, 11:01:43 PM »
Made my 1st trip today.   

I enjoy portillos, but their Italian sausages suck. Its about #17 on the list of things I'd get from there. Behind the chopped salad.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #142 on: August 14, 2016, 10:47:44 AM »
I enjoy portillos, but their Italian sausages suck. Its about #17 on the list of things I'd get from there. Behind the chopped salad.

the chopped salad is the only thing I actually go out of my way to go to portillos for. It's phenominal
Maigh Eo for Sam

🏀

• All American
« Reply #143 on: August 14, 2016, 02:22:08 PM »
the chopped salad is the only thing I actually go out of my way to go to portillos for. It's phenominal

Yeah, it's really, really good.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #144 on: August 14, 2016, 10:57:55 PM »
Things I actually get at portillos:

Beef (dipped, sweet peppers)
Beef n cheddar croissant
Chicago style jumbo dog
Chopped salad
Ribs
Cheese fries
Chocolate cake
Cake shake

« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 11:01:11 PM by Coleman »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #145 on: August 14, 2016, 10:59:28 PM »
This thread makes me realize how much I'm gonna miss the food in Chicago when I leave for London. I've been spoiled.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #146 on: August 18, 2016, 02:34:24 PM »

^This.

Chicago style dogs and beef dip sandwiches, IMO, are their strong suits.
SS Marquette

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #147 on: August 18, 2016, 02:36:45 PM »
This thread makes me realize how much I'm gonna miss the food in Chicago when I leave for London. I've been spoiled.

London offers cosmopolitan fare.

Despite what people say about British cuisine, they're referring to native dishes but not the available food stops and restaurants that can be had throughout the city which are accessible and delicious.

One word: Nando's. If you're in Chicago, you may have already had it.

You'll be fine.
SS Marquette

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #148 on: August 18, 2016, 10:13:03 PM »
London offers cosmopolitan fare.

Despite what people say about British cuisine, they're referring to native dishes but not the available food stops and restaurants that can be had throughout the city which are accessible and delicious.

One word: Nando's. If you're in Chicago, you may have already had it.

You'll be fine.

Nando's is unreal but definitely better over seas than here in chicago.
Maigh Eo for Sam

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #149 on: August 19, 2016, 10:38:04 AM »
^This.

Chicago style dogs and beef dip sandwiches, IMO, are their strong suits.
While I now get that I-talian sausage is not the strong suit, this was so bad it was embarrassing.  Get it off the menu if it's that bad.