collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 06:02:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:43:38 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:49:54 PM]

Banquet by rocky_warrior
[Today at 04:25:47 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Portillo's  (Read 29133 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Portillo's
« Reply #100 on: August 02, 2016, 02:54:48 PM »
So is the Brookfield Portillos going to have autographed pictures of Chicago celebs and athletes like all of the others?

TBD.  Do the FL, CA, or AZ locations?

Do the Chicago McDonald's locations have autographed pictures of Marquette athletes like the 27th and Wisconsin Ave. location does?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

🏀

• All American
« Reply #101 on: August 02, 2016, 04:41:38 PM »
TBD.  Do the FL, CA, or AZ locations?

Do the Chicago McDonald's locations have autographed pictures of Marquette athletes like the 27th and Wisconsin Ave. location does?

Little different...the Gurnee location has the same autographed pics as every other Portillo's I've been in. (Bad Belushi)

It's a good question, but TT34 should have put 'celebrities' in quotes.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #102 on: August 02, 2016, 04:44:16 PM »
The difference is that McDonald's are franchised while Portillos are all centrally owned.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #103 on: August 02, 2016, 04:56:32 PM »
Little different...the Gurnee location has the same autographed pics as every other Portillo's I've been in. (Bad Belushi)

It's a good question, but TT34 should have put 'celebrities' in quotes.

I see.  I have only ever been to the Palos Heights and Waukegan locations prior to the Brookfield Portillo's and never really noticed any autographed pictures, but also can't say I was looking for autographed pictures.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #104 on: August 02, 2016, 05:13:10 PM »
The AZ locations have signed Chicago celebrity pictures up. When I go to the Tempe location, I find it weird seeing Fox 32 or ABC 7 Chicago newscaster photos up on the wall. They seem to sell it as Chicago through and through, no matter the state the restaurant is in.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #105 on: August 02, 2016, 06:46:53 PM »
The AZ locations have signed Chicago celebrity pictures up. When I go to the Tempe location, I find it weird seeing Fox 32 or ABC 7 Chicago newscaster photos up on the wall. They seem to sell it as Chicago through and through, no matter the state the restaurant is in.

Yes! This is what we were looking for!

Was it Ron Magers? Mark Suppelsa? Walter Jacobson?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #106 on: August 02, 2016, 08:31:25 PM »
Yes! This is what we were looking for!

Was it Ron Magers? Mark Suppelsa? Walter Jacobson?

I'll be back out there in 2 weeks, but off the top of my head, there's a Eric/Kathy, either Taft or Giangreco, and I think a Tammie Souza. I get that a lot of Chicagoans go to the AZ locations, but still seems stupid to me.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #107 on: August 02, 2016, 08:44:59 PM »
I'll be back out there in 2 weeks, but off the top of my head, there's a Eric/Kathy, either Taft or Giangreco, and I think a Tammie Souza. I get that a lot of Chicagoans go to the AZ locations, but still seems stupid to me.

I've seen Giangreco in Gurnee, that makes sense.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #108 on: August 02, 2016, 08:52:29 PM »
I've seen Giangreco in Gurnee, that makes sense.

There should just be a whole photoset designated to Giangreco and Janet Davies on new years.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #109 on: August 02, 2016, 09:16:00 PM »
There should just be a whole photoset designated to Giangreco and Janet Davies on new years.

Not sure if you felt it, but we're friends now.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #110 on: August 02, 2016, 09:35:03 PM »
Always struck me as a weird mix of autographed pictures, and "celebs" should be in quotes. Urlacher I get, the Carmen Electra one is odd, the Chicago news people are all lame. They have to be replicas at all the locations too.

I think their take home beef is way better than the beef made in house.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #111 on: August 02, 2016, 09:47:13 PM »
Always struck me as a weird mix of autographed pictures, and "celebs" should be in quotes. Urlacher I get, the Carmen Electra one is odd, the Chicago news people are all lame. They have to be replicas at all the locations too.

I think their take home beef is way better than the beef made in house.

The take home has time to congeal

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #112 on: August 02, 2016, 10:03:01 PM »
The take home has time to congeal

Agreed. Pluse since Dick & Sharon sold, I feel the quality has gone down. Beef sandwich from there used to be consistently good, now half the time there's no flavor or barely any beef on the sandwich.

Would be curious what people's favorite beef sandwich places are. Of the bigger names, I think Johnnie's is the best. Al's is unique (not great or terrible), Mr. Beef is a bad sandwich.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #113 on: August 02, 2016, 10:17:47 PM »
I guess I have to pay more attention to my surroundings.  Then again, aside from Urlacher and Electra, I don't know who any of these people are.

I've never had anything other than a great sandwich from Portillo's.  And their desserts are fantastic.  Going to have to give their ribs a try next.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #114 on: August 02, 2016, 10:39:34 PM »
Agreed. Pluse since Dick & Sharon sold, I feel the quality has gone down. Beef sandwich from there used to be consistently good, now half the time there's no flavor or barely any beef on the sandwich.

Would be curious what people's favorite beef sandwich places are. Of the bigger names, I think Johnnie's is the best. Al's is unique (not great or terrible), Mr. Beef is a bad sandwich.

It's gone downhill and downhill fast. Shrinking portions, increased prices.

Johnnie's is the best. An underrated is Carm's @ 18th/Wolf in Hillside

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #115 on: August 03, 2016, 12:19:44 AM »
Went to the brookfield location today. The girl calling out the orders needs to step 6 inches away from the mic. Theres only so much one's ears can take of "NUMBER 222 YOUR MEAL IS READY!!!! NUMBER 222 WHERE ARE YOU!!!! being blared across the entire place.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #116 on: August 03, 2016, 01:43:06 PM »
Not sure if you felt it, but we're friends now.

The whole ABC new years in general is pretty cringey, but Mark and Janet really just make it worthwhile.

Ironically enough, our family's go to New Years celebration food? Portillos.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #117 on: August 03, 2016, 01:48:13 PM »
Went to the brookfield location today. The girl calling out the orders needs to step 6 inches away from the mic. Theres only so much one's ears can take of "NUMBER 222 YOUR MEAL IS READY!!!! NUMBER 222 WHERE ARE YOU!!!! being blared across the entire place.

That's how it is at all their locations.  Their speakers aren't exactly the highest quality of sound and they come up with rhymes for their numbers.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 03:29:47 PM by wadesworld »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #118 on: August 03, 2016, 01:49:09 PM »
The whole ABC new years in general is pretty cringey, but Mark and Janet really just make it worthwhile.

Ironically enough, our family's go to New Years celebration food? Portillos.

With a 2.5 year old, New Years isn't really a holiday or event on my radar anymore, but I have to watch Mark and Janet. Too good.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #119 on: August 03, 2016, 03:25:08 PM »
That's how it is at all their locations.  Their mics speakers aren't exactly the highest quality of sound and they come up with rhymes for their numbers.

My wife and I always joke about Portillo's having the same character as a NYC subway platform.  Amongst other reasons:

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/transit-workers/n10376
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #120 on: August 03, 2016, 04:02:33 PM »

I typically hit up Boston's on Grand & Chicago. It's been solid for me.
But I like to throw handfuls...

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #121 on: August 03, 2016, 05:25:23 PM »
I've had a few from Rosati's. Not bad. What's their reputation in Chicago for Italian beef and food in general?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #122 on: August 03, 2016, 06:51:40 PM »
I've had a few from Rosati's. Not bad. What's their reputation in Chicago for Italian beef and food in general?

Rosati's is actually two competing franchises, both with the same name, two different websites, fairly different pizza. We have both near my house, one time my wife mistakenly ordered from the one we didn't like, we both looked at each other surprised when it was a totally different pizza from what we expected.

I honestly don't know how to tell them apart, other than the one that I like is really good.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #123 on: August 03, 2016, 11:45:44 PM »
Rockford's Portillos has pictures of Chicago TV anchors as well despite being out of market.

My favorite is the Dennis Farina autographed picture. He died before the Rockford location even opened.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #124 on: August 04, 2016, 08:07:47 AM »
One of the portillos in AZ is by the Cubs spring training stadium where they built a "mini Chicago" so it rightfully has Chicago decor.

Regarding Chicago beef johnnies all day, I grew up by the original but where's the second location? 
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback