collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: San Francisco  (Read 7375 times)

Freeport Warrior

• All American
Re: San Francisco
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2015, 08:59:38 PM »
A lot of good recommendations here.

Blackheart is on the money with the Slanted Door. Claypot chicken is a must. Wife loved grapefruit/jicama salad. Pretty casual, but so good.

Crash nailed it with Bottega in Yountville. It's a Michael Chiarello restaurant with rustic Italian fare. Sit outside by the fire. Remember a dish called Polenta under glass as a highlight appetizer. Yountville in general is the best of the wine country cities for my tastes. Quaint, and you can walk everywhere. Bistro Jeanty, Bouchon and Redd all within walking distance. You can bring your own wine in if you want.

Favorite restaurant in SF is probably Boulevard. I tend to opt for the business casual kind of places with more high-end food. Can't go wrong here.

Pride Mountain Vineyards is a pretty cool winery to visit. It sits on the mountaintop with half of its property in Napa with the other half in Sonoma. The wines have gotten expensive over the years, but they are pretty amazing. The owner, Jim Pride, died a few years back. He was a dentist and started the Pride Institute, which helped dentists market their practices among other things. I know more than a few MU dentists who had run into him over the years and know/love his wines. 

For a cheaper, more accessible wines pick up a bottle of Bedrock. They are a tiny operation, but wines are solid, especially for the price point. Unfortunately they don't offering tasting or tours before/during crush (right now). The winery is run by the son of the owner of Ravenswood (zins). He's just a kid, but making some solid wines in the $20 -$30 range which is dirt cheap in Napa. 

Very jealous -- would loved to be going out there right now. Enjoy!

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2015, 10:08:31 PM »
I concur that Napa trumps SF (though I disagree with 84 - SF is also a gem.)

In Napa there are lots of great venues for dining but make Bottega in Yountville one of your dinners. It is superb.

As for wineries there are so many excellent choices but Merryvale in St Helena is a must stop. Do the barrel tasting.

sterling and plump duck-2 opposites of the spectrum.  sterling is more modern, upscale with a cable car taking you to the top and plump duck is old school, small time, family run with limited output. both excellent wineries
don't...don't don't don't don't

augoman

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2015, 10:23:35 PM »
"the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.. "

be sure to take warm clothes.  Last there about 8 years ago- lots of walking, alcatraz, chinatown, cable car museum, gay pride parade, etc but also took boat to Sausalito and ate in a little cafe on the wharf, - very pleasant.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2015, 07:33:47 AM »
"the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.. "

be sure to take warm clothes.

That's true, but this is the best time of year out there. It's unpredictable but Sept/Oct tend to be some of the Warner months. Last time I was there in Mid-Oct temps were near 90. That's unusual, but your going at  a very good time.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2015, 09:47:59 AM »
That's true, but this is the best time of year out there. It's unpredictable but Sept/Oct tend to be some of the Warner months. Last time I was there in Mid-Oct temps were near 90. That's unusual, but your going at  a very good time.

Yeah, and once you're 10-20 miles inland it gets really hot.  There are plenty of options where the weather would be warmer but it's an easy commute into downtown SF if you want somewhere you can lounge around the hotel pool for part of a day.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2015, 12:22:09 AM »
Be ready for sticker shock in Napa... Tastings are pricey..   Calistoga is a good call for a visit

Enjoy!

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2015, 08:50:40 AM »
Find someone who knows someone who was stationed with someone somewhere whose family owns a winery.  That always worked for me... the one time I've been to SF.  Had an absolute blast, especially for being a poor grad student from Milwaukee at the time.

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2015, 09:12:07 AM »
Vesuvio in North Beach is one of my favorite bars in the world.  A must-see if you're into Kerouac and other Beat writers, and if you're not, it's still worth the stop.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2015, 09:23:42 AM »
Napa is touristy. Go to the smaller towns a bit north like Yountville or St. Helena. Depending on how much time you have there, hire a limo driver for an afternoon. He'll obviously know the area and be able to find wineries and/or sites that fit with whatever you're looking for.

Tastings can add up fast so don't be afraid to be cheap and split tastings with the wife.

Have a great trip!

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2015, 10:19:22 AM »
Schedule tastings at Chase Vineyards and Larkmead Vineyards. Two of my favorites out there. Spectacular wine that's not easy to find back in the Midwest and the people at the vineyards were the most laid back great folks too.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2015, 10:58:36 AM »
hire a limo driver for an afternoon.

Obviously a swallower and not a spitter...

Death on call

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2015, 11:29:51 AM »
sterling and plump duck-2 opposites of the spectrum.  sterling is more modern, upscale with a cable car taking you to the top and plump duck is old school, small time, family run with limited output. both excellent wineries

Went to Sterling when I was out there. Loved the view (cable car ride gives great views), had better wine on the trip though. It's worth it for the view alone. In fact, they say they charge you for the view but the wine is free.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2015, 11:33:58 AM »
Went to Sterling when I was out there. Loved the view (cable car ride gives great views), had better wine on the trip though. It's worth it for the view alone. In fact, they say they charge you for the view but the wine is free.

Sterling's wine was pretty bad but the views are unmatched. Carry-ins are allowed  ;)

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2015, 01:44:53 PM »
Check out Asia SF for dinner for  true San Fran feel!  ;)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2015, 04:16:48 PM »
Tasting fees in Lodi are $5, refundable with a bottle purchase.  85+ wineries of all varietals. 
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 07:25:50 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2015, 08:59:16 PM »
Napa is touristy. Go to the smaller towns a bit north like Yountville or St. Helena. Depending on how much time you have there, hire a limo driver for an afternoon. He'll obviously know the area and be able to find wineries and/or sites that fit with whatever you're looking for.

Tastings can add up fast so don't be afraid to be cheap and split tastings with the wife.

Have a great trip!
Agree on the driver. We did that when we were there last year.   Not only do you not have to worry about the driving around after an afternoon of wine, but they generally go to decent wineries. 

For a reasonable breakfast experience, try Oxbow Market. Fun place you can get any meal at, but we found it a nice place to go early in the day.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 09:30:50 PM by Lighthouse 84 »
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2015, 04:01:05 AM »
My couple days in the area, for what it's worth:
Lunch in Sausalito at Spinnaker... for the view, not the food.  Ages ago when I lived there it was a Chart house, but those went downhill and ultimately it changed hands.
China town is still a must.
Lombard street.  Ghiradelli chocolates so you have gifts to bring home (and some for yourself)
Wine - V. Sattui.  Buy a bottle and sit on their lawn and eat it with some cheese and sausage from their little shop.  Don't go for the expensive stuff... just a Sattui family red is good enough. (St.Helena)
Battery Spencer.  above and to the west of the golden Gate bridge, on the Marin side.  Best views of the city.  Cold as hell due to the wind, especially in early evening.  Fun to watch the fog roll in from there.  Great place to admire the GG bridge.
If you both golf - go play 18 at the Presidio... one of the most amazing courses I've ever played.  The generals must have seriously hit 'em straight... narrowest fairways I've ever seen!
Have Fun!
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

2TimeWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2015, 06:46:22 AM »
Thank you everyone for all the insight and pointers!  We're looking forward to it!

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2015, 11:36:02 AM »
Tasting fees in Lodi are $5, refundable with a bottle purchase.  85+ wineries of all varietals.

The Lodi old vine zins are excellent but my favorites are from closer to the coast. Seghesio from Russian River is my favorite but the Rancho Zabaco from Sonoma is a solid second choice. Lodi gets acclaim for its old vines but it is far from the only valley growing world class zin grapes.

Death on call

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2015, 11:42:23 AM »
The Lodi old vine zins are excellent but my favorites are from closer to the coast. Seghesio from Russian River is my favorite but the Rancho Zabaco from Sonoma is a solid second choice. Lodi gets acclaim for its old vines but it is far from the only valley growing world class zin grapes.

Good to see, I blind bought a case of their 2013 Zin earlier this week as Rays had a special buy I couldn't pass up.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2015, 12:00:12 PM »
You guys are making me thirsty. My favorite zins are Ridge Lytton Springs, Woodenhead Martinelli Old Vines Russian River, and the holy grail, Martinelli Jackass Hill.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2015, 01:21:46 PM »
I recommended it earlier, but since everyone is talking Zin now: Chase in Napa has old growth Zin vines and they make a damfinewine from 'em.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2015, 02:47:39 PM »
You guys are making me thirsty. My favorite zins are Ridge Lytton Springs, Woodenhead Martinelli Old Vines Russian River, and the holy grail, Martinelli Jackass Hill.

Ridge Lytton Springs

Excellent wine.

Death on call

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2015, 01:23:24 AM »
My couple days in the area, for what it's worth:
Lunch in Sausalito at Spinnaker... for the view, not the food.  Ages ago when I lived there it was a Chart house, but those went downhill and ultimately it changed hands.
China town is still a must.
Lombard street.  Ghiradelli chocolates so you have gifts to bring home (and some for yourself)
Wine - V. Sattui.  Buy a bottle and sit on their lawn and eat it with some cheese and sausage from their little shop.  Don't go for the expensive stuff... just a Sattui family red is good enough. (St.Helena)
Battery Spencer.  above and to the west of the golden Gate bridge, on the Marin side.  Best views of the city.  Cold as hell due to the wind, especially in early evening.  Fun to watch the fog roll in from there.  Great place to admire the GG bridge.
If you both golf - go play 18 at the Presidio... one of the most amazing courses I've ever played.  The generals must have seriously hit 'em straight... narrowest fairways I've ever seen!
Have Fun!

Funny you mentioned Sattui.

Was talking to someone who knew the daughter (who apparently was a former teacher) and said she had dated Dick Nolan's son.
SS Marquette

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2015, 08:28:16 AM »
Funny you mentioned Sattui.

Was talking to someone who knew the daughter (who apparently was a former teacher) and said she had dated Dick Nolan's son.
Forgot about Sattui.  Great place to stop for lunch, cheese, wine, walk the grounds...
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.