[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by WhiteTrash
[Today at 04:47:36 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: San Francisco  (Read 7408 times)

2TimeWarrior

• Starter
San Francisco
« on: September 28, 2015, 03:09:47 PM »
Hi Scoopers-  My wife and I are heading to San Francisco next weekend to catch the Packer game.  It's our first time in the Bay area.  We're looking for any pointers or must see attractions/restaurants/etc.  Our loose itinerary is as follows.

We fly in Saturday night and will be staying in Mountain View on Saturday night (we're renting a car).  After the game on Sunday we were hoping to head up to Napa for a night and then hit a few spots in San Francisco after than.  We're staying in Berkeley Tuesday night through Friday (I have a seminar there).

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 04:34:22 PM by 2TimeWarrior »

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: San Francisco
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 03:13:09 PM »
Don't bend over in any buffet lines, ai na?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 03:20:03 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 03:54:11 PM »
Go check out Stanford's campus and get some dinner in Palo Alto.  Amazing campus and area.  Maybe check out a Giants game, as the stadium is pretty awesome, but dress warm if it's a night game.

Alcatraz Tour is definitely worth it.  Fisherman's Warf.  Obviously the Golden Gate Bridge.

Since you said you're catching the Packer (game), I'm assuming you're a Packers fan, and since you're staying in Berkley, check out the house that Rodgers built and walk right onto their field (the gates were unlocked, we walked right in, walked down the stands, and walked right onto the field).  Pretty cool setup, as it's built on a hill, so from the top of the hill it's as if it's built below ground.

Also check out Santa Clara's campus, it's right by Levi Stadium (SF 49ers), and it is incredible as well.  Home of Steve Nash, have a nice banner of him in their gym.  They let you walk right into the gym even when their team is practicing.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brandx

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 03:56:45 PM »
Go check out Stanford's campus and get some dinner in Palo Alto.  Amazing campus and area.  Maybe check out a Giants game, as the stadium is pretty awesome, but dress warm if it's a night game.

They made the playoffs?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 03:57:56 PM »
They made the playoffs?

Season's being cut short this year?

They host the Rockies Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brandx

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 04:11:33 PM »
Season's being cut short this year?

They host the Rockies Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Flying in on Sat. and going to GB game on Sunday.

Giants on....

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 04:14:09 PM »
Flying in on Sat. and going to GB game on Sunday.

Giants on....

Ahh.  Good call.  Don't know why he said he was flying in Thursday.

Well, skip the Giants game (unless you're there early enough on Saturday), but still check out the area.

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 04:23:40 PM »
Alcatraz is awesome, but you need to get your tickets like now.  The tours routinely sell out a week in advance.  Other than the Alcatraz tour I would skip Fisherman's Warf (crowded, touristy, etc.).  Muir Woods is fantastic.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 04:28:23 PM »
Alcatraz is awesome, but you need to get your tickets like now.  The tours routinely sell out a week in advance.  Other than the Alcatraz tour I would skip Fisherman's Warf (crowded, touristy, etc.).  Muir Woods is fantastic.

Never been to Muir Woods but I'll be back in the Bay area in March.  How far outside of SF is that?

I have heard you have to get your Alcatraz tickets like a month in advance, but they also have standby tickets.  My friends and I didn't make it in time for the tour we booked, so they just told us to wait in the standby line and we were put on the next cruise out there.  Does anybody know if someone who didn't buy tickets at all can just go up to the window and buy standby tickets?  If so, definitely worth doing.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 04:35:12 PM »
Park your car and do lots of walking, with the occasional cable car.

SF is an amazing walking town.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

2TimeWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 04:37:09 PM »
I got the Alcatraz tickets a while back so we're good on that.  Thanks!

2TimeWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 04:40:09 PM »
Best dinner options?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 05:02:13 PM »
chinatown is a must-just walk and talk-word of mouth from a trusting soul

i loved fisherman's wharf, clam chowda in sourdough bread bowl was invented here heyna?
    whole, steamed  donges bay crab from-again-trusted souls

p.s. 4ever-you're a blast!
don't...don't don't don't don't

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2015, 06:03:29 PM »

This is right on. Was last there in April. China town is probably to be skipped as well. Was once interesting, isn't any more. Pretty much just a bunch gross food, and shops filled with crap. Go up high for the view of bay/golden gate.

Best recommendation I can give is Dylan's Tours. They've  grown quite a bit, but appears to still be very good. A few years back did a mini bus tour when they were just starting out, and the tour was given by Dylan himself - fantastic. Great way to see all you need to see in a few hours. Great info about what your seeing too. Check em out on Trip Advisor and below.

dylanstours.com

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2015, 06:06:12 PM »
Best dinner options?

Yelp is your friend here.  It really depends what you are looking for.  So many good places that it is hard to recommend one.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2015, 07:55:03 PM »
I did this trip a year ago. Spend more time in Napa than SF. Lucy is a very good restaurant in Yountville and Cindy's Backstreet Kitchen in St. Helena is also outstanding.

SF was way too cold and crowded for my liking.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2015, 08:11:08 PM »
I did this trip a year ago. Spend more time in Napa than SF. Lucy is a very good restaurant in Yountville and Cindy's Backstreet Kitchen in St. Helena is also outstanding.

SF was way too cold and crowded for my liking.

I concur that Napa trumps SF (though I disagree with 84 - SF is also a gem.)

In Napa there are lots of great venues for dining but make Bottega in Yountville one of your dinners. It is superb.

As for wineries there are so many excellent choices but Merryvale in St Helena is a must stop. Do the barrel tasting.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2015, 08:27:12 PM »
Hi Scoopers-  My wife and I are heading to San Francisco next weekend to catch the Packer game.  It's our first time in the Bay area.  We're looking for any pointers or must see attractions/restaurants/etc.  Our loose itinerary is as follows.

We fly in Saturday night and will be staying in Mountain View on Saturday night (we're renting a car).  After the game on Sunday we were hoping to head up to Napa for a night and then hit a few spots in San Francisco after than.  We're staying in Berkeley Tuesday night through Friday (I have a seminar there).

Thanks!

Make sure to give someone in a tree in Berkeley a friendly hello, there is bound to be someone there protesting something.

SF is a beautiful city, most here have covered the tourism spots.  Napa is nice, I like the Russian River Valley as well.  Some of the vinyards in Napa are not worth the price, so be careful. 

Cal is a nice campus.  Stanford very nice.  AT&T Park (even if the season is over), good to check out.  Angel Island, Pier 39.  Lombard street takes about 2 minutes.  Fisherman's Wharf, get there early to watch them throw the fish.  Presidio, Chinatown, Treasure Island. Alcatraz.  Ghiradelli Square.  Golden Gate park.

Have a brew at Toronado.  Mexican food at La Taqueria

Something only locals do.....Seward Street Slides....look it up.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2015, 10:42:09 PM »
I was just in the bay area a month ago.  I'll post what we did and what we'd skip. 

In case I forget, muir woods is nice, but it's very busy.  Don't go to the city of Napa... it's quiet, and not pretty, and the earthquake that happened a few years ago has left downtown under construction. Instead drive up to Calistoga.  The best wineries to visit are minutes away.  Definitely go to Castillo de Amororsa.  Pay the $40 per person and do the tour and tasting.  Go EARLY because the place becomes a zoo.  Check out Sterling up the street after and rude the gondola to the winery on the hill.  Also, if you're into beer be SURE to swing into Lagunitas in Petaluma or ideally go check out Russian River in Santa Rosa... they have the #1 rated brew in the USA... Pliny the Elder.

In SF check out Fishermans wharf... but don't spend much time there.  Get a bus pass and ride to the Castro, Alamo Square (painted ladies), Chinatown, union Square...

My wife and I drove south of SF as well and checked out Carmel by the sea, and Monterrey.  Both beautiful areas, but I'm not sure you're going that way.

#1 piece of advice I can give you is to stop at a CVS and buy a case of water.  It's extremely dry out west, and it's easy to get dehydrated.  For $3 you can make sure you're fine.

Hope this helps!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2015, 10:54:35 PM »

Thanks!

What are you looking to do?  Food, wine, nature, tourism?  See a lot in a little time?  Expense account or your own dime?  Most ideas listed here I would recommend for a first time to the Bay Area, but not the second.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.

classof2k

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2015, 11:26:24 PM »
Another option to consider:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission_San_Francisco_de_As%C3%ADs

Spent an hour or two here the last time I was in SF.  Place reaks of history and reverence.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 11:58:01 PM by classof2k »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2015, 11:27:42 PM »
Another option to consider:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission_San_Francisco_de_As%C3%ADs

Spent an hour or two here the last time I was in SF.  Please reaks of history and reverence.

It's a cool mission.  My wife's goal is to see every mission in California...we've almost completed the goal.  Some are worth about an hour, others you can spend considerable time in. 

2TimeWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2015, 09:27:36 AM »
This is right on. Was last there in April. China town is probably to be skipped as well. Was once interesting, isn't any more. Pretty much just a bunch gross food, and shops filled with crap. Go up high for the view of bay/golden gate.

Best recommendation I can give is Dylan's Tours. They've  grown quite a bit, but appears to still be very good. A few years back did a mini bus tour when they were just starting out, and the tour was given by Dylan himself - fantastic. Great way to see all you need to see in a few hours. Great info about what your seeing too. Check em out on Trip Advisor and below.

dylanstours.com

Thanks, Navin.  We're looking into Dylans tours now.

2TimeWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2015, 10:12:34 AM »
What are you looking to do?  Food, wine, nature, tourism?  See a lot in a little time?  Expense account or your own dime?  Most ideas listed here I would recommend for a first time to the Bay Area, but not the second.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.
We'd like to see the tourist attractions and see a lot in a little time.  We're on our own dime, but don't want to do it on the cheap.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2015, 07:05:40 PM »
We'd like to see the tourist attractions and see a lot in a little time.  We're on our own dime, but don't want to do it on the cheap.

Honestly, SF is a pain to get around on your own because it is a small city geographically, and parking and traffic are gruesome. This tour will get you to a majority of the sights. You are a first timer and have a short window, so I would leave more time for Wine Country and do this circle tour and let them shuttle you.  You can even get in Muir Woods or use them for Wine Country. This tour is utilitarian, but you can get a lot in and get a lay of the land for next visit.  The Fall is the best time to visit is there is no fog as the Valley is cooling down.

https://www.sanfranshuttletours.com/?gclid=CL3es7GuncgCFQ6DaQodtFIGxw

There is a good Vietnamese restaurant in the Ferry Building where the shuttle departs:  The Slanted Door.
http://www.slanteddoor.com

Alcatraz is good, but can get cold.  Leave from Sausolito and eat lunch and shop with the Mrs.

Most restauarants in Chinatown are awesome.  I like Golden Gate Park if you have time. If you like Disney, his daughter opened a museum.

Some others you might try if you want a different vibe...

You can try old school SF seafood in Union Square:  http://www.farallonrestaurant.com/#_=_

Italian in Noe Valley after seeing Twin Peaks: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60713-d618686-Reviews-La_Ciccia-San_Francisco_California.html

A cheaper wine tasting experience but a little more laid back getaway is in Lodi. Zin Country.  I would recommend staying at:  http://winerose.com

More on Lodi wine:  https://www.facebook.com/LodiWine

And then there is Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, East Bay.  Better left for another visit.  And the many other neighborhoods within SF and towns of Marin.

feedback