[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Daily Dose of Doom Thread  (Read 167257 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: Daily Dose of Doom Thread
« Reply #625 on: March 08, 2022, 10:36:46 AM »
Remember murder hornets?  They sound pretty good after covid, aina?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #626 on: April 06, 2022, 07:38:46 AM »
We had a good run.

UN: Earth 'Firmly on Track Toward an Unlivable World'

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2022/04/04/un-climate-report-unlivable-world/7269194001/

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #627 on: April 06, 2022, 07:52:21 AM »
We had a good run.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2022/04/04/un-climate-report-unlivable-world/7269194001/

I firmly believe that humans will continue to ignore the problem until things get REALLY bad.  What seems like a mild inconvenience now will be ignored until there is no water in the west, too much water in FL, and meat is financially nonviable.  Then people will wonder how we got there, and by then the cost of fixing the problem will be much more than it currently is.

We are the frogs in the boiling pot, and the water is steaming right now. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #628 on: April 06, 2022, 09:25:20 AM »
We had a good run.

"Incredibly cheap renewables"  :o

Do we need a shift to renewable energy?  Absolutely.  Is it "incredibly cheap", especially at scale?  Hardly.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #629 on: April 06, 2022, 10:06:49 AM »
"Incredibly cheap renewables"  :o

Do we need a shift to renewable energy?  Absolutely.  Is it "incredibly cheap", especially at scale?  Hardly.

Simple, just remove the $5.9 trillion in subsidies from fossil fuels and move them to renewables.  Of course, I'm being reductive, but that is 100% the path we need to follow.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #630 on: April 06, 2022, 10:59:06 AM »
I firmly believe that humans will continue to ignore the problem until things get REALLY bad.  What seems like a mild inconvenience now will be ignored until there is no water in the west, too much water in FL, and meat is financially nonviable.  Then people will wonder how we got there, and by then the cost of fixing the problem will be much more than it currently is.

Overview of the current situation/outlook: https://youtu.be/LxgMdjyw8uw

Entertaining climate videos: https://youtube.com/c/ClimateTown

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #631 on: April 06, 2022, 11:29:23 AM »

Isn't this how "we" deal with all problems Social Security going broke, Massive Debt, out of control Health Care Costs, etc.  Live for today and let the next generation figure it out.  It's sad but I doubt it ever changes because it is easier to ignore the problem and elect people talking about all kinds of straw men rather than what really needs to be dealt with.
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #632 on: April 06, 2022, 11:44:38 AM »
Isn't this how "we" deal with all problems Social Security going broke, Massive Debt, out of control Health Care Costs, etc.  Live for today and let the next generation figure it out.  It's sad but I doubt it ever changes because it is easier to ignore the problem and elect people talking about all kinds of straw men rather than what really needs to be dealt with.

yes

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #633 on: April 06, 2022, 12:02:25 PM »

"A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they shall never sit."

I've been told there was a time when America did this, but I'll be damned if I've ever seen it.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #634 on: April 06, 2022, 12:12:12 PM »
"A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they shall never sit."

I've been told there was a time when America did this, but I'll be damned if I've ever seen it.

It's not just America, it's pretty much all of human nature.  We focus only on the short term because for most of humanity's existence, we just had to worry about finding our next meal and not getting eaten by a lion. 

Give me an example of when in human history people have made a significant short term sacrifices to benefit society a generation or more later?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #635 on: April 06, 2022, 12:19:52 PM »

It's not just America, it's pretty much all of human nature.  We focus only on the short term because for most of humanity's existence, we just had to worry about finding our next meal and not getting eaten by a lion. 

Give me an example of when in human history people have made a significant short term sacrifices to benefit society a generation or more later?
The Iroquois had what is called the 7th generation philosophy, dated back to the writing of the Great Law of Haudenosaunee Confederacy. Might have worked if their civilization wasn't eradicated.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 12:22:19 PM by lawdog77 »

• All American
« Reply #636 on: April 06, 2022, 12:39:12 PM »
The Iroquois had what is called the 7th generation philosophy, dated back to the writing of the Great Law of Haudenosaunee Confederacy. Might have worked if their civilization wasn't eradicated.

Maybe there is a lesson in there somewhere.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #637 on: April 06, 2022, 12:49:16 PM »

Maybe there is a lesson in there somewhere.
Don't trust white people?

• All American
« Reply #638 on: April 06, 2022, 01:00:37 PM »
Don't trust white people?

What good is planning for seven generations out when something unforeseen is going to wipe you out in the short-term?

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #639 on: April 06, 2022, 01:13:59 PM »

What good is planning for seven generations out when something unforeseen is going to wipe you out in the short-term?
I like my lesson better.

• All American
« Reply #640 on: April 06, 2022, 01:24:52 PM »
I like my lesson better.

LOL, yeah...

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #641 on: April 06, 2022, 01:40:52 PM »

Self interest is what drives societies and some times those self interests can drive societies apart and lead to their own self  "eradication".
https://www.ushistory.org/us/1d.asp

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #642 on: April 06, 2022, 01:43:27 PM »
Self interest is what drives societies and some times those self interests can drive societies apart and lead to their own self  "eradication".
https://www.ushistory.org/us/1d.asp
self eradication? Yeah, it had nothing to do with the "settlers".

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #643 on: April 06, 2022, 01:53:29 PM »
self eradication? Yeah, it had nothing to do with the "settlers".

FWIW, as I recall the Iroquois main downfall was aligning themselves with the British as opposed to the Americans around and during the Revolutionary War.  They did very well with the "settlers" for a long time.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #644 on: April 06, 2022, 02:14:57 PM »
FWIW, as I recall the Iroquois main downfall was aligning themselves with the British as opposed to the Americans around and during the Revolutionary War.  They did very well with the "settlers" for a long time.

I mean, the Americans pushed them out no matter where they went.  Manifest Destiny ensured their genocide.  Them choosing the British or French over the people actually forcefully removing them was just common sense.  What other choice did they have?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #645 on: April 06, 2022, 02:32:42 PM »
I mean, the Americans pushed them out no matter where they went.  Manifest Destiny ensured their genocide.  Them choosing the British or French over the people actually forcefully removing them was just common sense.  What other choice did they have?

Manifest Destiny and the western movement happened a good 75 years after that.  Im just saying the Revolutionary War was an added wrinkle to what had been a decent relationship with the Dutch/British for close to 200 years in the Americas

• All American
« Reply #646 on: April 06, 2022, 02:47:39 PM »
Manifest Destiny and the western movement happened a good 75 years after that.  Im just saying the Revolutionary War was an added wrinkle to what had been a decent relationship with the Dutch/British for close to 200 years in the Americas

The phrase "Manifest Destiny" occurred long after that, but western migration of American colonists was a key issue during the Revolutionary War.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #647 on: April 06, 2022, 03:01:19 PM »

As I said, Manifest Destiny ensured the genocide.  Not that it began it.  That's also ignoring the near constant conflict between the French, British, and Dutch colonists that almost always involved the Native tribes participating to advance their agenda as well.

There was no 'getting along' with the colonists who constantly did what they pleased.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #648 on: April 06, 2022, 08:28:59 PM »
any refs out there, better make the right call...this at the "love of the game" event in georgia-wow!

https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/video-shows-basketball-referee-assaulted-at-dekalb-county-church
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #649 on: April 28, 2022, 04:24:07 PM »
I saw this in my weekly National Geographic email, a story on the Murder Hornets.  OMG!  In total American fashion, scientists are able to locate the nest and remove to a lab for study and stop their spread, however the owner of the yard where they were found wants back so he can like sell on eBay and they legally have to return.

The untold, dramatic story behind the discovery of America’s first murder hornet nest
In October 2020, after months of urgent work, researchers found an Asian giant hornet hive in Washington State. Its story was just beginning.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/article/untold-story-first-american-murder-hornet-hive

feedback