[October 22, 2024, 07:09:33 PM]

Recruiting as of 9/15/24 by We R Final Four
[October 22, 2024, 06:51:53 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Oldgym
[October 22, 2024, 05:29:19 PM]

Marquette Retiring Jim Chones Jersey by Nukem2
[October 22, 2024, 04:06:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Daily Dose of Doom Thread  (Read 216003 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Daily Dose of Doom Thread
« Reply #1175 on: June 30, 2024, 07:16:30 AM »
Stay off escalators at Brewers games.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1176 on: July 02, 2024, 06:53:36 AM »
Strongest July hurricane on record.  Nothing to see here
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1177 on: July 02, 2024, 08:04:24 AM »
Strongest July hurricane on record.  Nothing to see here

Warmer than ever ocean water creates the earliest Cat 5 hurricane ever.

Absolutely nothing to do with global warming, though. Just part of some deity's plan.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” - George Washington

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #1178 on: July 02, 2024, 04:05:07 PM »
Warmer than ever ocean water creates the earliest Cat 5 hurricane ever.

Absolutely nothing to do with global warming, though. Just part of some deity's plan.

Earliest ever Category 4, first one EVER recorded in June.

And then it got even stronger

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1179 on: July 02, 2024, 04:55:32 PM »
1 in 50 knife injuries happen while people slice avocados. Hand surgeons see these injuries so often that they have a name for it: Avocado hand.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness/2024/06/26/avocado-hand-injuries-knife/?

Back in the 80's used to be called "bagel hand".  I guess people are eating healthier now.
Have some patience, FFS.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1180 on: July 02, 2024, 07:50:52 PM »
Truly remarkable we trust peoples well being with this guy

"we" ??

what would I ever do without you "we's"  seriously??

I'd like to think i've done quite well without you guys and there are avenues to "police" us and I'm still standing, yeah yeah yeah
felz Houston ate uncle boozie's hands

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1181 on: July 02, 2024, 07:52:53 PM »
Earliest ever Category 4, first one EVER recorded in June.

And then it got even stronger

"recorded' is correct, but earliest ever??  those little brown paper bags work quite well and they are biodegradable
felz Houston ate uncle boozie's hands

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #1182 on: July 03, 2024, 09:58:58 AM »
  "recorded' is correct, but earliest ever??  those little brown paper bags work quite well and they are biodegradable

Yeah that’s how dates and recorded history work, dumbass.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1183 on: July 03, 2024, 12:14:29 PM »
Yeah that’s how dates and recorded history work, dumbass.

Not to give credence to conspiracy theories, but I do think weather and climate is a bit more nuanced when they talk about recorded history.

Where for many things, including stuff like lunar patterns and phenomena, we have recorded history going back hundreds, if not thousand plus years.  But for weather and meteorology, we only have a hundred, maybe a hundred fifty years.

So looking at it in the lens, the conclusions are totally fair, valid, and concerning.  But people that try to frame it (intentionally or not) as WORST IN HISTORY are being disingenuous at worst and extrapolating incomplete data at best.  There could have been Cat 4 Hurricanes in June blasting Magellan and his contemporaries 600 years ago, we just don’t know

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1184 on: July 03, 2024, 12:34:02 PM »
Not to give credence to conspiracy theories, but I do think weather and climate is a bit more nuanced when they talk about recorded history.

Where for many things, including stuff like lunar patterns and phenomena, we have recorded history going back hundreds, if not thousand plus years.  But for weather and meteorology, we only have a hundred, maybe a hundred fifty years.

So looking at it in the lens, the conclusions are totally fair, valid, and concerning.  But people that try to frame it (intentionally or not) as WORST IN HISTORY are being disingenuous at worst and extrapolating incomplete data at best.  There could have been Cat 4 Hurricanes in June blasting Magellan and his contemporaries 600 years ago, we just don’t know

Plus, the earth is only like 6000 years old

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #1185 on: July 03, 2024, 01:24:56 PM »

Honestly it is impressive that Magellan survived the trip around Chile, given from what my friends and others who took a trip from there to Antarctica have to say about the seas.

My implication was always recorded history which in advanced weather analytics on wind speed and classification is 50 or so years. I don't think you assume hyperbole on me saying there literally has not been an earlier/stronger hurricane in the earth's existence as countless globe changing events have occurred over billions (6000) of years. If you did assume the hyperbole, then I assume concern trolling but I will give you the benefit of the doubt on that one because you are a sharp guy.

But the fact of the matter is vs 50+ years ago where accurate measuring started, the rapidity of intensification of hurricanes has materially increased (Article below outlines it well). This being the source of the alarm, as an early season hurricane that is not usually known to jump into category 4 (Or Category 5 for that matter) so rapidly and intensely. The warm water fuel is present at deeper depths earlier in the year. And it keeps happening.

You understand finance, it is about the trend and the rate of change. Cut it up into 5 year, 10 year, 20 year increments and the trend stays the same here. Increased intensity.

You and I can disagree on the level of alarmism I guess but downplaying overnight materialization of category 5 hurricanes probably would hit different if you or I lived on a Caribbean island.

https://theconversation.com/hurricane-beryls-rapid-intensification-category-5-winds-so-early-in-a-season-are-alarming-heres-why-more-tropical-storms-are-exploding-in-strength-233780
« Last Edit: July 03, 2024, 01:29:26 PM by Plaque Lives Matter! »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1186 on: July 03, 2024, 03:37:41 PM »
Honestly it is impressive that Magellan survived the trip around Chile, given from what my friends and others who took a trip from there to Antarctica have to say about the seas.

My implication was always recorded history which in advanced weather analytics on wind speed and classification is 50 or so years. I don't think you assume hyperbole on me saying there literally has not been an earlier/stronger hurricane in the earth's existence as countless globe changing events have occurred over billions (6000) of years. If you did assume the hyperbole, then I assume concern trolling but I will give you the benefit of the doubt on that one because you are a sharp guy.

But the fact of the matter is vs 50+ years ago where accurate measuring started, the rapidity of intensification of hurricanes has materially increased (Article below outlines it well). This being the source of the alarm, as an early season hurricane that is not usually known to jump into category 4 (Or Category 5 for that matter) so rapidly and intensely. The warm water fuel is present at deeper depths earlier in the year. And it keeps happening.

You understand finance, it is about the trend and the rate of change. Cut it up into 5 year, 10 year, 20 year increments and the trend stays the same here. Increased intensity.

You and I can disagree on the level of alarmism I guess but downplaying overnight materialization of category 5 hurricanes probably would hit different if you or I lived on a Caribbean island.

https://theconversation.com/hurricane-beryls-rapid-intensification-category-5-winds-so-early-in-a-season-are-alarming-heres-why-more-tropical-storms-are-exploding-in-strength-233780

Yea I don't disagree with any of this at all.  And I pushed the point you made out into the greater scope of the conversation, which I have a tendency to do here, so I didn't mean to mischaracterize your stance or your post.  Just the point that a meaningful and statistically relevant conversation can be cheapened by exaggeration and hysteria that many do when it comes to climate change, using a 50-100 year period in the millions and millions of year lifespan of a planet as evidence that it will become unlivable in that same timeperiod moving forward.

That being said, I think there is a very reasonable middle ground to all of this.  Even if what we are seeing over the last 50 years has happened a dozen times over the last 2000 years (and then corrected), that doesn't make the every day effects any less real.  Like you said about the islands, I'm a Florida resident with an overly cautious wife, even if I think there is too much alarmism that doesn't change the very real weather changes and phenomenons that have to be paid attention to, dealt with, and survived.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #1187 on: July 03, 2024, 06:30:24 PM »
Well said. Last thing we want is any scooper here hit by a life altering disaster

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1188 on: July 03, 2024, 06:39:03 PM »
Even 100 years ago - let alone 1,000 and 10,000 and 100,000 years ago - humans did not develop land along the coasts anywhere near the way it is developed now.

If something equivalent to global warming happened back before such events could be scientifically recorded, they didn't have the same impact of  similar events now.

For example ...

Cape Coral, Fla., a metro area jammed to the brim with about 1 million people that was devastated by Hurricane Ian in 2022, had 17,000 residents in 1950. Had a similar event occurred then, it would have affected relatively few.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #1189 on: July 07, 2024, 12:02:59 PM »
So what metric will tell us we no longer have to spend billions to solve climate change?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1190 on: July 07, 2024, 12:10:22 PM »
So what metric will tell us we no longer have to spend billions to solve climate change?

Climate change isn’t going to be “solved.” It needs to be managed. And investing in technologies that can help with that is something similar to what governments have done pretty much since governments were invented.

IMO this is money much better spent than the nonsense of sending people back to the Moon.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1191 on: July 07, 2024, 12:23:33 PM »

What metric will tell us that it's safe to ignore the trillions of dollars and countless lives that climate change is costing?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #1192 on: July 07, 2024, 12:52:49 PM »

Climate change isn’t going to be “solved.” It needs to be managed. And investing in technologies that can help with that is something similar to what governments have done pretty much since governments were invented.

IMO this is money much better spent than the nonsense of sending people back to the Moon.

There must be some way to measure how well climate is being managed?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1193 on: July 07, 2024, 01:01:37 PM »

I would guess temperature.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1194 on: July 07, 2024, 01:10:16 PM »
Temperature
Ice melt
Oceans rise
Condition of reefs
PFAS in the water
Health of our streams and rivers.  Would you.eat a fish caught in a local river?
Air quality
Birth defects
Cancer rates
Hurricane intensity in June
Species die off

So many.  Which do you like?

Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #1195 on: July 07, 2024, 01:43:58 PM »
Temperature
Ice melt
Oceans rise
Condition of reefs
PFAS in the water
Health of our streams and rivers.  Would you.eat a fish caught in a local river?
Air quality
Birth defects
Cancer rates
Hurricane intensity in June
Species die off

So many.  Which do you like?

Well sea levels and temperatures have been rising over the last 20000 years. The Great lakes which were solid ice took their form as we know them today some 8000 years ago and the glaciers have been melting for a long time. Lots of species have gone extinct so there is nothing unnatural about that. Are you telling me there are no good places to fish? Many people fish along the Delaware where I live.

PFAS, Birth defects, cancer rates and air quality have more to do with pollution than climate.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1196 on: July 07, 2024, 02:19:50 PM »
Pollution and climate are related.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1197 on: July 07, 2024, 02:28:02 PM »
Well sea levels and temperatures have been rising over the last 20000 years.

How do you know?

The Great lakes which were solid ice took their form as we know them today some 8000 years ago and the glaciers have been melting for a long time.

How do you know?

Are you telling me there are no good places to fish? Many people fish along the Delaware where I live.

Anecdote ... ipso fatso, all water supplies have been unaffected by human-caused climate change.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1198 on: July 07, 2024, 02:42:48 PM »

We should spend more on climate change than we spend on enforcing Christifascist laws assaulting women’s reproductive rights.  That’s my baseline

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #1199 on: July 07, 2024, 02:52:35 PM »
Lots of species have gone extinct so there is nothing unnatural about that.

I’ve had a bloody noses before so there’s nothing unnatural about s***ing blood