collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2015-16 NFC North/NFL thread  (Read 108520 times)

only a warrior

• Team Captain
Re: 2015-16 NFC North/NFL thread
« Reply #825 on: December 21, 2015, 08:37:40 PM »
Woodson is a great player but didn't play long enough for the Pack to be enshrined in the Ring of Honor

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #826 on: December 21, 2015, 08:48:48 PM »
He played for them for seven seasons. More than Reggie White did.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #827 on: December 22, 2015, 07:02:38 AM »
Charles Woodson announces his retirement. Fantastic player when with the Packers. Sure hall of famer with his name up at Lambeau.

+1

tower912

• All American
« Reply #828 on: December 22, 2015, 12:42:41 PM »
Same old Lions.   Tried to lose it.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #829 on: December 22, 2015, 01:35:55 PM »
Same old Lions.   Tried to lose it.

Wouldn't the same old Lions have actually lost it, though?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #830 on: December 22, 2015, 02:09:24 PM »
Every now and then they play just well enough to restore a scintilla of hope..... and then....
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #831 on: December 22, 2015, 02:16:47 PM »
Wouldn't the same old Lions have actually lost it, though?

Not if they were trying to lose it.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #832 on: December 22, 2015, 02:52:48 PM »
Not if they were trying to lose it.

That would make a great Onion story.  "Team decides to lose, goes on record winning streak."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #833 on: December 22, 2015, 03:15:17 PM »
Yes, the Lions have played just well enough to keep a bad coach another year and screw themselves out of a top 5 draft pick.   It is the Lion's way. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #834 on: December 22, 2015, 09:29:11 PM »
That would make a great Onion story.  "Team decides to lose, goes on record winning streak."

This actually happened to the 1997 Bears. They all but tried to lose their next-to-last game against the Rams, thereby giving them a chance to get one of the two stud QBs available in the draft -- Peyton Manning or Ryan Leaf. But the Bears won the game 13-10 and ended up finishing 4-12.

The Colts, of course, took Manning and that left Leaf for the Chargers. The Bears ended up taking the forgettable Curtis Enis with the No. 5 pick. Among those still on the board were Fred Taylor, Kyle Turley, Tra Thomas and Keith Brooking.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #835 on: December 22, 2015, 09:39:17 PM »
This actually happened to the 1997 Bears. They all but tried to lose their next-to-last game against the Rams, thereby giving them a chance to get one of the two stud QBs available in the draft -- Peyton Manning or Ryan Leaf. But the Bears won the game 13-10 and ended up finishing 4-12.

The Colts, of course, took Manning and that left Leaf for the Chargers. The Bears ended up taking the forgettable Curtis Enis with the No. 5 pick. Among those still on the board were Fred Taylor, Kyle Turley, Tra Thomas and Keith Brooking.

The Packers finished their 1988 season by winning their last two games, including at the Phoenix Cardinals on the last week of the season.  Had they lost either of those games, they held the tie breaker for the first pick in the NFL draft. 

Instead Dallas got it...and selected Troy Aikman.  The Packers pick at #2...Tony Mandarich.  (Followed by Barry Sanders, Derrick Thomas and Deion Sanders.)

Of course without screwing up that draft, my guess is the Packers never make their structural changes with Ron Wolf...never trade for Favre, etc.   So things worked out in the long run.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #836 on: December 24, 2015, 04:21:50 PM »

The Packers finished their 1988 season by winning their last two games, including at the Phoenix Cardinals on the last week of the season.  Had they lost either of those games, they held the tie breaker for the first pick in the NFL draft. 

Instead Dallas got it...and selected Troy Aikman.  The Packers pick at #2...Tony Mandarich.  (Followed by Barry Sanders, Derrick Thomas and Deion Sanders.)

Of course without screwing up that draft, my guess is the Packers never make their structural changes with Ron Wolf...never trade for Favre, etc.   So things worked out in the long run.

Yeah, but Mandarich could really jab that needle into his keister with the best of 'em!

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #837 on: December 25, 2015, 06:30:15 AM »

they would have taken Ryan leaf and we all know how that would have ended...he was actually worse and more expensive than Curtis, so the Bears got a pass
don't...don't don't don't don't

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #838 on: December 25, 2015, 06:53:46 AM »

Let's not forget about why the Bears were in this position in the first place...Rashaan Salaam anyone? Probably my dad's least favorite Bear.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #839 on: December 25, 2015, 03:35:47 PM »
they would have taken Ryan leaf and we all know how that would have ended...he was actually worse and more expensive than Curtis, so the Bears got a pass

C'mon, man. John Shoop woulda "coached up" Leaf and he'd have been a Hall of Famer!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #840 on: December 27, 2015, 03:55:47 PM »
Early in the season, I blamed the OC and blocking schemes for Detroit's struggles.   They are now 5-2 in the second half with a new OC and new O-line coach.  If I was a betting man, I would bet that the turnaround is enough to save Caldwell's job.   Unless he is completely incompatible with the new GM.   

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #841 on: December 27, 2015, 05:46:55 PM »
Packers look like crap (even more so than usual). Glad Erin is still in there.

SKOL VIKINGS! WE'RE COMING FOR THE NORTH!!!

THE CONSENSUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #842 on: December 27, 2015, 10:06:22 PM »
Well this thread has quieted down.

SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #843 on: December 27, 2015, 10:10:41 PM »
Next Sunday will be fun.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #844 on: December 27, 2015, 10:30:58 PM »
I'd much rather lose next week than win if I'm the Packers. NFC North title is meaningless.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #845 on: December 27, 2015, 10:39:16 PM »
I'd much rather lose next week than win if I'm the Packers. NFC North title is meaningless.
totally agree!  i'd swap the Bears record for the Vikings right now if I could.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #846 on: December 27, 2015, 10:55:24 PM »
We will take the division, then beat Seattle. Is no problem bahdee!!!! SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!!!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #847 on: December 28, 2015, 02:09:10 PM »
It is an interesting question. If you're the Pack or Vikes, would you rather win the division and host Seattle or fall to the wild card and visit the Scalping Savages of the District of Columbia?

I pretty much always go with winning because wanting to lose is bad juju. But I understand the other side here.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #848 on: December 28, 2015, 02:25:11 PM »
It is an interesting question. If you're the Pack or Vikes, would you rather win the division and host Seattle or fall to the wild card and visit the Scalping Savages of the District of Columbia?

I pretty much always go with winning because wanting to lose is bad juju. But I understand the other side here.

A Marshawn and Jimmy Graham less Seattle team at home isn't that scary. Washington is playing really well too.

brandx

« Reply #849 on: December 28, 2015, 04:18:52 PM »

I would lose - but for a different reason. Let some guys heal.

Playing without your starting center and both starting tackles, plus both guards playing hurt and needing surgery is never a good recipe for winning.

feedback