[Today at 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Tribune Article on Campus Bar History  (Read 17291 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: MU Tribune Article on Campus Bar History
« Reply #125 on: February 03, 2016, 11:44:08 PM »
I'd send mine in a heartbeat.  In my view, the experience of going to a school like MU in the location it is in, a fairly large city, with real life diversity of rich, poor, the general population, private vs public, etc.  When I was at KU and IU, it felt like such a walled garden. A protected little utopia that doesn't exist in the real world. No grit as it were.  I don't mind the need to bring in better students, it is a reality of life for a private school in the 21st century.

The thing that tipped it toward Marquette for me is that I wanted to go to school in a real city. I wanted pro sports. I wanted diversity. I wanted a major metro newspaper, and Milwaukee had 2 -- as a journalism student, I wanted possible employers right in my town.

You want to talk about a white-bread experience ... my daughter went to Lawrence and she was on the basketball team her first two years before she quit to concentrate on school. Her freshman year, the men's and women's teams had a combined 32 players -- and all of them were white. When the two BASKETBALL teams at a school are all-white, you know you're talkin' HONKYVILLE!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #126 on: February 04, 2016, 05:08:47 AM »
Anyone ever go to Sabina's back in the day?

was that in mexi-town?  b/c later, a well know conejito employee-rudy opened his own place around the corner.  then you had la botanas and la perla.  those were the only "go to" places down there around 5th & 6th and virginia and national that we all felt comfortable in/good food
don't...don't don't don't don't

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #127 on: February 04, 2016, 06:24:30 AM »
was that in mexi-town?  b/c later, a well know conejito employee-rudy opened his own place around the corner.  then you had la botanas and la perla.  those were the only "go to" places down there around 5th & 6th and virginia and national that we all felt comfortable in/good food

Yes, it was. A very hole-in-the-wall place - I can't even remember it having windows. Sometimes they would have a mariachi band.  It was one of my first authentic Mexican restaurant experiences, and I loved it.
Have some patience, FFS.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #128 on: February 04, 2016, 09:14:00 AM »
warriorchick

Sabina's was one of my all time favorites. Went there often and miss it. We were just talking about it over the holidays. Took the Mrs. there often and never disappointed.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #129 on: February 04, 2016, 09:15:40 AM »
warriorchick

Sabina's was one of my all time favorites. Went there often and miss it. We were just talking about it over the holidays. Took the Mrs. there often and never disappointed.

where is/was it?  is it still there?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #130 on: February 04, 2016, 09:18:33 AM »
Overall opinion of MU circa 2016 is a positive in regards to having my kids there. Obviously our family has a very long history at MU and have biased point of view. While I cry on every check I write to MU, I would not change a thing for my kids. They have had/having an unreal experience and would do it again for them. My kids could go have gone elsewhere and they had MU in their heart and proud of how they are turning out.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #131 on: February 04, 2016, 09:18:59 AM »
Rocket

Long gone but was on 6th and Mineral

tower912

• All American
« Reply #132 on: February 04, 2016, 09:21:09 AM »
The thing that tipped it toward Marquette for me is that I wanted to go to school in a real city. I wanted pro sports. I wanted diversity. I wanted a major metro newspaper, and Milwaukee had 2 -- as a journalism student, I wanted possible employers right in my town.

You want to talk about a white-bread experience ... my daughter went to Lawrence and she was on the basketball team her first two years before she quit to concentrate on school. Her freshman year, the men's and women's teams had a combined 32 players -- and all of them were white. When the two BASKETBALL teams at a school are all-white, you know you're talkin' HONKYVILLE!

I was accepted everywhere I applied.    I visited UM, ND, DePauw.    Marquette's location, as well the lack of elitist arrogance compared to the other places I visited, were two major selling points for me.    I recognize that what made me comfortable would make other uncomfortable.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #133 on: February 04, 2016, 09:24:16 AM »
Rocket

Long gone but was on 6th and Mineral

thanks, i've heard botonas is pretty good, but every time we get down there, conejitos just pulls us in.  we were at la perla once-not bad, except someone ordered some special fajita dish.  when they came out into the dining room with it sizzling away, it let out plumes of pepper spray and i'm not kidding, emptied the dining room except for the dude that ordered it.  that was the closest i've ever come to be pepper sprayed and wow was it bad.  eyes burning...we all waited outside for about 5 minutes, walked back in and the guy was half done with his meal???

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #134 on: February 04, 2016, 09:42:21 AM »
I was accepted everywhere I applied.    I visited UM, ND, DePauw.    Marquette's location, as well the lack of elitist arrogance compared to the other places I visited, were two major selling points for me.    I recognize that what made me comfortable would make other uncomfortable.

You know who has that elitist feel in my opinion?  Creighton.  Admittedly, my encounters are limited but they came recruiting my daughter here in Chicago and it was unbelievable. What a bunch of a-holes.  And this was when they were on their best behavior.  It was just like talking to any Domer representative.  On the opposite end, a school we absolutely love is Butler.  Couldn't have been more welcoming to my son (although he chose MU) and we have several friends who have sent kids there and all have been super pleased.  I've heard the expression 'little Marquette' more than once.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #135 on: February 04, 2016, 10:55:10 AM »
You know who has that elitist feel in my opinion?  Creighton.  Admittedly, my encounters are limited but they came recruiting my daughter here in Chicago and it was unbelievable. What a bunch of a-holes.  And this was when they were on their best behavior.  It was just like talking to any Domer representative.  On the opposite end, a school we absolutely love is Butler.  Couldn't have been more welcoming to my son (although he chose MU) and we have several friends who have sent kids there and all have been super pleased.  I've heard the expression 'little Marquette' more than once.

I've noticed the same with both schools.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #136 on: February 04, 2016, 01:19:48 PM »

Hate to burst the bubble but Marquette has really embraced that north Shore elitist attitude recently. Maybe it's just because I grew up in a completely different environment but MU seemed pretty arrogant to me.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #137 on: February 04, 2016, 01:29:10 PM »
That's too bad.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #138 on: February 04, 2016, 02:38:47 PM »
I'm going to agree with chicos here Navy (as keefe would call you).  It's different.  Certainly more upscale.  But both my kids got fantastic educations and, maybe even more importantly, are really good people in part because of their experiences at Marquette.  The tag line 'Come as you are. Leave transformed.' is really true.

I agree the location, experiences, and diversity within the city are great, but that's not unique to Marquette. What I'm concerned about is the experiences within the classroom and/or among classmates. Even in 2003 there was a definite Marquette type that if I wasn't previously well-rounded would have closed my eyes to some things in this world.

I get why the university is doing some things but I think they are limiting the types of students that can/want to bring in and they are sheltering the kids too much(IMO). We'll see, I admit I'm not looking at it with the same experience that you and Chico's are so we'll see how it goes.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #139 on: February 04, 2016, 03:01:19 PM »
My roommates and friends at MU were solidly middle class and solid B students.

All support Marquette $$.  One is a VERY large donor.

I wonder if they would be interested or accepted at the MU of today.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #140 on: February 04, 2016, 04:07:03 PM »
I agree the location, experiences, and diversity within the city are great, but that's not unique to Marquette. What I'm concerned about is the experiences within the classroom and/or among classmates. Even in 2003 there was a definite Marquette type that if I wasn't previously well-rounded would have closed my eyes to some things in this world.

I get why the university is doing some things but I think they are limiting the types of students that can/want to bring in and they are sheltering the kids too much(IMO). We'll see, I admit I'm not looking at it with the same experience that you and Chico's are so we'll see how it goes.

It's funny, cause I (hopefully obviously) don't have any kids but my younger sister is a senior in high school and I told her I wouldn't recommend going to Marquette.

She spent a weekend with me there anyways and after about 10 minutes of walking around the first thing she asked me if there was anyone who wasn't white and from a suburb.

Marquette ain't diverse anymore. I was definitely on the lower end in terms of family income and we're as middle class as you can get. There are a few other students from Chicago but I was one of the exceptions who actually went to public school. Yes marquette is in a big city but it's really it's own bubble. It still shocks me how scared people were just walking to Kilbourn and state and how many kids refused to walk to the Bradley Center.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #141 on: February 04, 2016, 04:14:04 PM »

The Lens with the quote. Nicely done.

It was definitely part of the culture when I was there.

Love the Trib re-posting 19 year old quotes.  Nice find Jams!
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #142 on: February 05, 2016, 12:41:01 PM »
This seems to be a good fit right now.  Chitown, one of the things that's great about MU is that a kid from the 'nice' burbs can learn a thing or two.  Growth is good, brother.

http://marquettewire.org/3942155/opinion/stepping-outside-shelter-campus/

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #143 on: February 05, 2016, 02:17:08 PM »
They've got 18 years to figure it out, but right now I don't think I'd send my son to MU....just not enough diversity of experience to survive in this world IMO.
I don't know what the alternative would be, since nearly every university seems to be going the same direction.  The exception might be places like UWM or UIC.

Slim

• All American
« Reply #144 on: February 06, 2016, 01:53:15 AM »
my first trip to national ave liquor bar was pretty special. some old guy (probably like 45) sitting at a table by himself drinking a shot and a beer just leaned over, puked, then resumed drinking. good times.

lanche 35  cent RWB's

rhinelander and fox deluxe in the fridge. we never had a penny to enjoy the east side.

about 40 of us from the class of '81 meet each year for mu day. this year after the game will be at pabst brew house inn and suites.

i can't believe students now would be afraid to walk to the bradley center - to me it seems even safer today.

i'm glad the didn't have a crowd cam at the mecca. we snuck in a bottle every game.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #145 on: February 06, 2016, 07:53:12 AM »
Some things never change much. RIP Blondie. You are still with us.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #146 on: February 06, 2016, 12:16:19 PM »
It still shocks me how scared people were just walking to Kilbourn and state and how many kids refused to walk to the Bradley Center.

Out of fear or out of laziness/cold? The former I never saw, the latter definitely.