collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2015-16 NFC North/NFL thread  (Read 108591 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: 2015-16 NFC North/NFL thread
« Reply #550 on: November 10, 2015, 09:47:14 AM »

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #551 on: November 11, 2015, 12:17:13 AM »

For the first time in a long time, I feel very positive about the Bears' future. John Fox and his staff are excellent.

Of course, next year Gase gets a head coaching job and Cutler and the Bears offense have to start all over again.
Unless...make Gase OC and asst head coach next year, with the promise of the head coaching job in '17. Foxy is getting up there, give him a cushy front office job and lots of $$.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #552 on: November 11, 2015, 03:28:01 AM »
Of course, next year Gase gets a head coaching job and Cutler and the Bears offense have to start all over again.
Unless...make Gase OC and asst head coach next year, with the promise of the head coaching job in '17. Foxy is getting up there, give him a cushy front office job and lots of $$.

That may be the best option. From the sound of it Fox really loves being with the bears so if you could keep Gase and the QB coach whose name escapes me and give Fox the president of football operations job, that would be ideal from a consistency standpoint.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #553 on: November 11, 2015, 05:00:50 AM »
That may be the best option. From the sound of it Fox really loves being with the bears so if you could keep Gase and the QB coach whose name escapes me and give Fox the president of football operations job, that would be ideal from a consistency standpoint.

There is no indication that Fox would want, or would be good at, an administrative job. 

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #554 on: November 11, 2015, 06:56:53 AM »

There is no indication that Fox would want, or would be good at, an administrative job.

What gives you any indication that the Bears would let that stop them?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #555 on: November 15, 2015, 03:47:52 PM »
SKOL VIKINGS, currently first place in the NFC North!! Also, up 10-0 after a quarter at Oakland.

The CONSENSUS is back!

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #556 on: November 15, 2015, 04:10:26 PM »
As a pure football fan, I wish we could forward to February and have Packers/Patriots right now. I know there's other 3-0 teams, but those are the two best teams in football, and would love to see that game and everyone as healthy as possible. It won't happen, but it'd be incredible if both teams went 16-0 reg season, and met in the title game.

Rodgers is Jordan right now, he's the best QB I've ever seen. As great as he's been, this is his absolute prime right now. As poor as QB play is in the league, it makes you appreciate Rodgers that much more.

I think the Lions have just lacked authority more than anything. They've had superstar talent (Suh, Megatron), I like Stafford, he has a hell of an arm, but over all, they just seem to be missing "it" as an organization.

Last thing I think, I think Bears/Saints end up fighting for worst record.

As stated last month, a lot of golf left.  Packers look pretty bad right now, but they could rebound.  Cowboys, could end up with the worst record.  First month of the season is a feeling out process in my opinion. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #557 on: November 15, 2015, 09:54:48 PM »
What a total choke job by the Giants. Had the Patriots beat multiple times.

Winning Super Bowls sure buys Coughlin some extra rope. Otherwise, he would have hung himself big-time with that clock management. I was yelling at the TV that they needed to take a knee three times and then kick the FG with well under a minute left. Instead, they gave Brady the ball with nearly 2 minutes and a timeout left!

Then the Giants DB drops the easiest interception attempt humanly possible. Wow.

My Panthers should be one of only 2 unbeatens left. Instead, there are still 3. I hope the Giants are as generous when the Panthers play them next month.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #558 on: November 15, 2015, 10:40:46 PM »
That wasn't that easy of an interception, especially as humanly possible.

For whatever reason, the Giants play the Patriots very tough over the years.  The Patriots injuries the last two weeks have not helped either.

Good game, fun to watch. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #559 on: November 16, 2015, 12:28:29 AM »
That wasn't that easy of an interception, especially as humanly possible.

For whatever reason, the Giants play the Patriots very tough over the years.  The Patriots injuries the last two weeks have not helped either.

Good game, fun to watch.

It was a pretty easy interception. A soft lame duck pretty much thrown right to him. Had it in both hands.

But you are right, I shouldn't have used those exact words, because there have been even easier interceptions in NFL history.

Isn't it wonderful when we can kind of agree?

Maybe the next point we should agree on is that you will argue about absolutely anything.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #560 on: November 16, 2015, 01:31:46 AM »
For someone who didn't see the game if they were to read your post you would have thought it was a layup interception.  It simply wasn't...he had to go high, came down awkwardly and lost it.  That's all I'm saying.  It seemed like some silly hyperbole on your part as if you lost a bet or somehow your Panthers were impacted by it or something.

NYG could have won that game, perhaps should have....but they didn't. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #561 on: November 16, 2015, 08:02:25 AM »
Lions win in Wisconsin for the first time since 1991.   But, good Lord, did they try to give that thing away.  Lions fans primary thought on the morning after.   Oh, crap, what if this helps Caldwell keep his job?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #562 on: November 16, 2015, 08:02:42 AM »
It was a pretty easy interception. A soft lame duck pretty much thrown right to him. Had it in both hands.

... there have been even easier interceptions in NFL history.

The Honey Badger may have dropped the easiest INT in NFL history last night.  Collins seems to make that INT a lot more difficult than it needed to be.

Also, are the GB offensive issues scheme or personnel related?  Seems the WRs have a lot of difficulty getting open. 
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #563 on: November 16, 2015, 08:07:24 AM »
Lions win in Wisconsin for the first time since 1991.   But, good Lord, did they try to give that thing away.  Lions fans primary thought on the morning after.   Oh, crap, what if this helps Caldwell keep his job?

"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

tower912

• All American
« Reply #564 on: November 16, 2015, 08:16:36 AM »
Stafford's first ever road win against a team with a winning record.   And being a Detroit DB is akin to being the drummer for Spinal Tap.    The kid who made the play on the 2 pt conversion was signed Saturday.   They are probably going to have to sign at least 2 more off of the street this week for next Sunday's game. 
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 08:19:26 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #565 on: November 16, 2015, 08:36:10 AM »
For someone who didn't see the game if they were to read your post you would have thought it was a layup interception.  It simply wasn't...he had to go high, came down awkwardly and lost it.  That's all I'm saying.  It seemed like some silly hyperbole on your part as if you lost a bet or somehow your Panthers were impacted by it or something.

Argue, argue, fabricate, fabricate, argue, argue some more.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #566 on: November 16, 2015, 08:40:47 AM »
Also, are the GB offensive issues scheme or personnel related?  Seems the WRs have a lot of difficulty getting open. 

Receivers aren't getting open.  Rodgers is getting hit more.  He is not as sharp as usual.  I think the play calling is very predictable.  The defense looks bad against decent quarterbacks.

I think Capers should have been replaced a couple years ago.  I think the move to Clements calling the plays sounded good at the time, but in retrospect I think McCarthy was better at that part of the game. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #567 on: November 16, 2015, 08:44:27 AM »
What a total choke job by the Giants. Had the Patriots beat multiple times.

Winning Super Bowls sure buys Coughlin some extra rope. Otherwise, he would have hung himself big-time with that clock management. I was yelling at the TV that they needed to take a knee three times and then kick the FG with well under a minute left. Instead, they gave Brady the ball with nearly 2 minutes and a timeout left!

Then the Giants DB drops the easiest interception attempt humanly possible. Wow.

My Panthers should be one of only 2 unbeatens left. Instead, there are still 3. I hope the Giants are as generous when the Panthers play them next month.

That was not an easy interception.  It should have been made, but I don't think it was easy.  The guy behind him would have had an easy INT though.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #568 on: November 16, 2015, 08:52:57 AM »

That was not an easy interception.  It should have been made, but I don't think it was easy.  The guy behind him would have had an easy INT though.

Not "easy", but that ball, in that situation, you have to catch.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #569 on: November 16, 2015, 08:57:52 AM »
Not an 'easy' interception.    The way he landed, the fact that he had to be helped off of the field.... hanging on would have been incredible. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #570 on: November 16, 2015, 09:35:12 AM »

Receivers aren't getting open.  Rodgers is getting hit more.  He is not as sharp as usual.  I think the play calling is very predictable.  The defense looks bad against decent quarterbacks.

I think Capers should have been replaced a couple years ago.  I think the move to Clements calling the plays sounded good at the time, but in retrospect I think McCarthy was better at that part of the game.

The offense looked horrific.  The Defense wasn't horrible, I expected the Lions to score 17-21...but I also expected the Packers to score 30+.  Ive never seen a team with an elite QB throw more simple 2-3 yd out routes that were blanketed. 

The management of that last drive was HORRIFIC by Coughlin and the Giants.  I was besides myself.  People will chalk it up to Patriots greatness and comeback, but most good QBs with 2 min and a time out can drive 45-50 yds.  The only smart play the Giants made once they cross the Patriots 30 was Eli falling down in bounds.  Otherwise just abysmal.

AWESOME performance by the Bears.  Rams aren't world beaters, but they have a very good defense and an elite DL and the Bears just chopped them up.  I'm going to miss Gase terribly next year.  He had a couple of play calls that were absolutely brilliant.  Cutler was steady and controlled, the defense settled down after that horrible first drive and made some big plays.  Overall a satisfying performance.  The chokes against the Lions and the Vikings are looming large right now.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #571 on: November 16, 2015, 10:26:49 AM »
The wide receivers aren't getting open or creating any separation, but they're not being called by the playcalling and play design either.  I'm not sure I've seen any of the "illegal" blocking plays with 3 receivers stacked to one side (that have been called a total of once against the Packers this season) since about week 4.  That's all we were seemingly doing through the first 4 weeks and we had success.  I don't know why it's so hard for the Packers to take a page out of the Patriots playbook and run a bunch of 7 yard button hooks, slants, and pick plays.  When you have receivers who can't get open down field, why is every play you run a downfield, 1 on 1 passing play with a dump off to the running back as your only secondary option?

Packers stink right now.  Rodgers isn't playing well, running game is non-existant, offensive line is bad, wideouts are bad, and the defense has a total of 0 sacks since the bye week, with 2 of those games coming against either injured or terrible offensive lines.  That is horrendous.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #572 on: November 16, 2015, 11:14:16 AM »
Also, special teams essentially gives up 7 points yesterday, has 2 punts of about 20 yards, and misses a game winning field goal attempt.

What changes from year to year with these teams?  I guess the defense has gotten better, but that's more personnel than it is scheme and execution (the 2 rookie DBs look to be really good, Raji has been good for the most part, etc.)  It's the same issues every year, except this year our offense has just gotten worse.  Maybe Mac was a good playcaller and is a poor head coach, which is the reverse of what I've had him pegged as for years.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #573 on: November 16, 2015, 12:06:22 PM »
Also, special teams essentially gives up 7 points yesterday, has 2 punts of about 20 yards, and misses a game winning field goal attempt.

What changes from year to year with these teams?  I guess the defense has gotten better, but that's more personnel than it is scheme and execution (the 2 rookie DBs look to be really good, Raji has been good for the most part, etc.)  It's the same issues every year, except this year our offense has just gotten worse.  Maybe Mac was a good playcaller and is a poor head coach, which is the reverse of what I've had him pegged as for years.

Did Crosby's attempt hit Masthay(sic)'s hand?  Ball seemed to knuckly right away, but I didn't see a good replay angle.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #574 on: November 16, 2015, 12:11:52 PM »

I don't think he's a poor head coach.  He runs a good locker room and gets younger guys to make contributions.  I think he struggles a bit with game management.  (Clock management, challenging plays, etc.)  I think loyalty might be a problem that is rearing up a bit here.