collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2015-16 NFC North/NFL thread  (Read 108595 times)

brandx

Re: 2015-16 NFC North/NFL thread
« Reply #450 on: October 25, 2015, 09:34:00 PM »
They look as they have for the last half century.   Bring back Wayne Fontes!

Matt Millen?

I didn't realize how bad the O-line was until I watched today.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #451 on: October 26, 2015, 06:19:28 PM »
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 06:22:44 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #452 on: October 28, 2015, 02:36:42 PM »
Greg Hardy and Cowboys in talks for long-term, big-money contract extension.

Over and over again in life, I'm disappointed by how talent/money-making wins out. Hardy will be paid despite his issues. Some coach who cheated somewhere will get another job (see Carroll, Pete). Some executive who was under investigation or fired will get another job.

Where are we as a society? What are we teaching/showing kids (as a society, not as individual parents)?

Awful.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #453 on: October 28, 2015, 10:11:46 PM »
I thought Marshall made some good points on Hardy, but yes disappointing where we are in general.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13990569/brandon-marshall-says-dallas-cowboys-de-greg-hardy-learned-lesson
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #454 on: October 28, 2015, 10:29:20 PM »
Greg Hardy and Cowboys in talks for long-term, big-money contract extension.

Over and over again in life, I'm disappointed by how talent/money-making wins out. Hardy will be paid despite his issues. Some coach who cheated somewhere will get another job (see Carroll, Pete). Some executive who was under investigation or fired will get another job.

Where are we as a society? What are we teaching/showing kids (as a society, not as individual parents)?

Awful.

As a Cowboys fan for 40+ years, it amazes me how awful Jerry Jones is.  I was so disgusted when they signed this POS and watching some other Cowboys fans defend this POS is saddening.  Then again, I saw the same behaviors toward some Packers when I lived there, certainly Lakers out here....JUST WIN BABY

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #455 on: October 29, 2015, 09:26:16 AM »
I thought Marshall made some good points on Hardy, but yes disappointing where we are in general.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13990569/brandon-marshall-says-dallas-cowboys-de-greg-hardy-learned-lesson

Things got a little off-kilter towards the end of his time with the Bears, but I will always respect Marshall for his candor and honesty when it comes to these kind of issues.  He's not perfect, but he's someone who has learned from a lot of his mistakes and will be a great commentator/advocate when he hangs it up.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #456 on: October 29, 2015, 10:14:49 AM »
Things got a little off-kilter towards the end of his time with the Bears, but I will always respect Marshall for his candor and honesty when it comes to these kind of issues.  He's not perfect, but he's someone who has learned from a lot of his mistakes and will be a great commentator/advocate when he hangs it up.

Hey at least they didn't have to call the cops to get him out of the building.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #457 on: October 29, 2015, 11:00:25 AM »

I'm sorry, how has he changed or learned from his mistakes?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #458 on: October 29, 2015, 11:14:18 AM »

Gonna agree with Navin on this one. He's already starting stuff up with the Jets.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #459 on: October 29, 2015, 11:30:11 AM »

I'm speaking to the off the field portion. He had a myriad of legal troubles and outbursts before his diagnosis.  He's a fiery personality on the field, and a diva, as most good WRs tend to be.  I'm not talking about that, I'm talking about how he turned his life around off the field and how he's been an outspoken personality in regards to that since and his comments around Hardy were around the totality of character.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #460 on: November 01, 2015, 08:28:04 PM »
SKOL VIKINGS, GO BRONCOS!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #461 on: November 02, 2015, 05:26:45 AM »
To call the Lions a dumpster fire is an insult to dumpster fires.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #462 on: November 02, 2015, 08:59:51 AM »
I was surprised by the Pack game last night.  Denver's defense is good, but more surprised at the ease at which Denver moved the ball on Green Bay.  Denver's offense has been largely awful this year.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #463 on: November 02, 2015, 09:21:18 AM »
Packer's offense hasn't been good but has just been getting by.  There is no stretching of the field, and I don't know if that's because Jordy Nelson was just *that* good, or if its because of Tom Clements is now calling the plays.  (I had always thought that McCarthy was a better play caller than he was given credit for.)  Also they need an upgrade at TE. 

And James Jones is showing why he was the third WR on this team and why two teams cut him in the last couple of years.  Largely been a non-entity the last few weeks.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #464 on: November 02, 2015, 10:55:26 PM »
The majority of NFL product right now stinks...from officiating to game play. This Colts/Panthers game has been hot garbage.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #465 on: November 02, 2015, 11:06:56 PM »
Packer's offense hasn't been good but has just been getting by.  There is no stretching of the field, and I don't know if that's because Jordy Nelson was just *that* good, or if its because of Tom Clements is now calling the plays.  (I had always thought that McCarthy was a better play caller than he was given credit for.)  Also they need an upgrade at TE. 

And James Jones is showing why he was the third WR on this team and why two teams cut him in the last couple of years.  Largely been a non-entity the last few weeks.

It is all Clement's fault.  He's an effin domer. Droolin' moron. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #466 on: November 03, 2015, 12:29:54 AM »
The majority of NFL product right now stinks...from officiating to game play. This Colts/Panthers game has been hot garbage.

I don't disagree, but it was absolutely pouring most of the game.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #467 on: November 03, 2015, 08:15:52 AM »

College football is much more watchable.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #468 on: November 03, 2015, 08:41:31 AM »
The last 2 Bears games have been incredibly frustrating to watch. They could easily be 4-3 (admittedly, they could also easily be 0-7).

Every time I watch the Bears, I obviously want them to win but, big picture, this team lacks NFL caliber talent. If losing a few heartbreakers this season will put them in position to get the talent needed to win nip-and-tuck games over the next few seasons, it's 100% worth it. Going 7-9 instead of 5-11 could mean the difference between picking #5 overall and picking #12. This team may go 5-11 just like last year's team, but this team isn't an embarrassment. Fox, Gase and Fangio can coach. Hopefully Pace can draft.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #469 on: November 03, 2015, 09:32:46 AM »
The last 2 Bears games have been incredibly frustrating to watch. They could easily be 4-3 (admittedly, they could also easily be 0-7).

Every time I watch the Bears, I obviously want them to win but, big picture, this team lacks NFL caliber talent. If losing a few heartbreakers this season will put them in position to get the talent needed to win nip-and-tuck games over the next few seasons, it's 100% worth it. Going 7-9 instead of 5-11 could mean the difference between picking #5 overall and picking #12. This team may go 5-11 just like last year's team, but this team isn't an embarrassment. Fox, Gase and Fangio can coach. Hopefully Pace can draft.

Completely agree.  The fact that I get frustrated with these losses and think "we're really close" given the talent on the roster and my expectations at the beginning of the season, speaks for the staff. 

And no this isn't happiness with mediocrity or shifted success metrics, its finding small positives in what was supposed to be an ugly season, that's still very frustrating.

Oh, and Ken Whisenhunt just got axed.  Bit premature but they were bad.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 09:34:34 AM by JWags85 »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #470 on: November 03, 2015, 09:39:39 AM »
Completely agree.  The fact that I get frustrated with these losses and think "we're really close" given the talent on the roster and my expectations at the beginning of the season, speaks for the staff. 

And no this isn't happiness with mediocrity or shifted success metrics, its finding small positives in what was supposed to be an ugly season, that's still very frustrating.

Oh, and Ken Whisenhunt just got axed.  Bit premature but they were bad.

Under Whisenhunt, the Titans were 2-0 in season openers.  1-20 otherwise.

He was a poor hire in the first place.  His tenure in Arizona ended badly, and while he is probably a good offensive coordinator, there are a bunch of good coordinators that make bad head coaches.  (Wade Phillips anybody?)

This is exactly one of the reasons I think the NFL product is bad.  Just retread the same damn coaches over and over.  Both the NBA and MLB have done a great job with getting younger guys who think outside the box a little as head coaches.  (Washington hiring Dusty Baker regardless...)  The Titans will undoubtedly make a very safe hire this off-season.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #471 on: November 03, 2015, 10:07:08 AM »
This is exactly one of the reasons I think the NFL product is bad.  Just retread the same damn coaches over and over.  Both the NBA and MLB have done a great job with getting younger guys who think outside the box a little as head coaches.  (Washington hiring Dusty Baker regardless...)  The Titans will undoubtedly make a very safe hire this off-season.

Unlike MLB and NBA, there are seemingly no young analytical minds coming up in the NFL. From the top down, the league still relies on film sessions, game-planning and old school scouting. Execs feel more comfortable with experienced, grizzled football guys than they do with young up-and-comers. When GMs do hire young head coaches, they end up hiring Lane Kiffin and Josh McDaniels who were both disasters. Honestly, if a mid-30s coach turned a team around and won a SB or at least made some noise consistently, it would likely open the door for others. I know that Tomlin won a SB at age 36 but he took over a contender...not to mention, the Kiffin and McDaniels hires were in the same general time period, which set things back.

IMO, a lot of NFL coaches overcoach/over-gameplan. They try so hard to exploit the opponent's weaknesses and contain the opponent's strengths that they "forget" to play to their own team's strengths. That can lead to some ugly football.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #472 on: November 03, 2015, 10:45:20 AM »

I hope so too.  This year's team is at least not an embarrassment.  Many of the games last year were nearly impossible to watch, and the talent is roughly the same as it is now.  Bluer skies ahead I think.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #473 on: November 03, 2015, 12:31:24 PM »
Unlike MLB and NBA, there are seemingly no young analytical minds coming up in the NFL. From the top down, the league still relies on film sessions, game-planning and old school scouting. Execs feel more comfortable with experienced, grizzled football guys than they do with young up-and-comers. When GMs do hire young head coaches, they end up hiring Lane Kiffin and Josh McDaniels who were both disasters. Honestly, if a mid-30s coach turned a team around and won a SB or at least made some noise consistently, it would likely open the door for others. I know that Tomlin won a SB at age 36 but he took over a contender...not to mention, the Kiffin and McDaniels hires were in the same general time period, which set things back.

IMO, a lot of NFL coaches overcoach/over-gameplan. They try so hard to exploit the opponent's weaknesses and contain the opponent's strengths that they "forget" to play to their own team's strengths. That can lead to some ugly football.

Analytics has no place in an environment that encourages competitors to bash their heads against each other.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #474 on: November 03, 2015, 06:12:04 PM »
Colts fire offensive coord, Pep Hamilton. (Former Bears QB coach under Lovie Smith - failing up must be nice).

I have never understood mid-season firings of coordinators. Unless the coordinator outright disobeyed the coach, or the players hated him, I don't know why the move is made. Either the same scheme/system will remain in place (in which case, why is the firing necessary?) or they will install a new system/scheme (which will likely not work well for several weeks, so the results won't change).

Thoughts, anyone?