collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Is ESPN In Trouble (cord-cutter)  (Read 73914 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Is ESPN In Trouble (cord-cutter)
« Reply #300 on: May 14, 2019, 04:10:24 AM »
It would be like "The Natural" - worst sports movie ever made.

I dunno, brand. There have been some pretty bad sports movies.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #301 on: May 15, 2019, 10:08:32 PM »
The ending of the Sixers-Raptors game shows why these networks are willing to pay so much for live sports.

It is the true "reality TV" -- pretty much the only thing a network can show that isn't contrived or scripted.

If a Hollywood screenwriter had written that ending -- the star practically falling out of bounds on a high-arching 21-footer that bounced on the rim 4 times before going through the basket, with time seemingly standing still and the crowd eerily quiet -- that screenwriter would be mocked.

Sports is the greatest theater out there.

100% agree.  But this is not a case for cable.

All of this can happen as you stream it on Twitter/Facebook/Google/Netflix (when they purchase the NBA rights).
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #302 on: May 15, 2019, 10:18:22 PM »
100% agree.  But this is not a case for cable.

All of this can happen as you stream it on Twitter/Facebook/Google/Netflix (when they purchase the NBA rights).

Could happen. We'll see.

Of course, Disney would still have lotsa valuable properties and, again, that's all I care about.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #303 on: May 16, 2019, 11:02:38 AM »

Die Hard was a terrible sports movie.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #304 on: May 16, 2019, 11:19:37 AM »

Maybe I used the wrong term. "Hokey" or too "Hollywood-y" might have been better.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #305 on: May 17, 2019, 12:11:12 PM »
Maybe I used the wrong term. "Hokey" or too "Hollywood-y" might have been better.
Just about every sports movie has a really hokey ending.  Calling out 'The Natural' for this is arbitrary.  For the record, I could take or leave the movie.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MU82

• All American

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #307 on: August 08, 2019, 12:28:05 AM »
Calling Heise

MU82

• All American
« Reply #308 on: August 08, 2019, 07:38:57 AM »
Calling Heise

Disney had one "bad" quarter while getting going following a major acquisition. Plus, the stock price had run up too far too fast to hit its all-time high. It was a perfect storm for a little pullback. It's already moving back up today in premarket.

Although I'm still well up on my DIS investment -- much more than if I had invested in SPY -- investing is a long-term game. I'm happy to be a DIS shareholder now, and I'll probably be even happier about it years (and decades) from now.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #309 on: August 08, 2019, 08:45:32 AM »
I received by DIS dividend a few days ago.  I’m happy.

Now a few thoughts and prayers for the carnage done locally yesterday afternoon would be nice.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #310 on: August 08, 2019, 08:59:23 AM »
Disney+ thoughts, to stay on topic ?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #311 on: August 08, 2019, 09:08:12 AM »
Disney+ thoughts, to stay on topic ?

Agreed.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #313 on: August 08, 2019, 10:36:53 AM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #314 on: August 08, 2019, 12:32:47 PM »
Not that I believe everything analysts say, not by a long shot, I did see that after the earnings report Credit Suisse raised DIS from neutral to outperform and lifted its target price from $130 to $150.

https://www.morningstar.com/news/marketwatch/20190808177/disney-gets-an-upgrade-at-credit-suisse

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #315 on: August 08, 2019, 01:24:55 PM »
Yes, it will be interesting to see how many folks they can sign up for this service.

This is shows the future of streaming, VOD, is commercially mainstream with Disney's going live, something Cheekadamus has debated. At least he has his Disney stock as his DTV/ATT shares flatline. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #316 on: August 08, 2019, 01:42:57 PM »
Agreed.

It was in the city next to where Disneyland is and many Disney employees live.  Don’t worry if you didn’t see much about it, that’s also by design including ABC which is owned but Disney.  All kinds of Disney touchpoints in our lives...as a shareholder I sometimes cringe.  That’s on topic.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #317 on: August 08, 2019, 01:55:38 PM »
It was in the city next to where Disneyland is and many Disney employees live.  Don’t worry if you didn’t see much about it, that’s also by design including ABC which is owned but Disney.  All kinds of Disney touchpoints in our lives...as a shareholder I sometimes cringe.  That’s on topic.

I did hear of the incident. I just was ignoring you.

But if you insist: Thoughts and prayers.

Now maybe future discussions here can be about both of us being satisfied DIS investors.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #318 on: August 08, 2019, 02:07:08 PM »
The guy who stabbed 6 people out of hate?  Yup.   Just no one else tried to politicize it in a thread about ESPN.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #319 on: August 08, 2019, 02:42:51 PM »
IBTL

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #320 on: August 08, 2019, 05:14:52 PM »
chico destroys another thread. With the same crap we have heard from him a hundred times.

I was reminded of how toxic and destructive he is on Scoop as I read the discussion between Forgetful and Pakuni. Two guys who had differing opinions on a subject and treated each other with respect. A reminder of how nice Scoop can be.

No carpet bombing, no sarcastic remarks, no politics. No attempt to argue with everyone over everything. No d'baggery.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #321 on: August 08, 2019, 06:21:45 PM »
The guy who stabbed 6 people out of hate?  Yup.   Just no one else tried to politicize it in a thread about ESPN.

At least it wasn't a gun. Could have easily been double, triple that number in the same amount of time

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #322 on: August 08, 2019, 06:21:53 PM »
chico destroys another thread. With the same crap we have heard from him a hundred times.

I was reminded of how toxic and destructive he is on Scoop as I read the discussion between Forgetful and Pakuni. Two guys who had differing opinions on a subject and treated each other with respect. A reminder of how nice Scoop can be.

No carpet bombing, no sarcastic remarks, no politics. No attempt to argue with everyone over everything. No d'baggery.

come on 'strap-how can you stand the smell...common denominator of the lockdowns...try again
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #323 on: August 08, 2019, 08:01:45 PM »
come on 'strap-how can you stand the smell...common denominator of the lockdowns...try again

You're a piece of work, Boo-Boo. Read the actual thread and decide objectively who the instigator was rather than leaping to Yogi's defense.

I accept your apology.

Now, how about DIS?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #324 on: August 08, 2019, 09:01:32 PM »
You're a piece of work, Boo-Boo. Read the actual thread and decide objectively who the instigator was rather than leaping to Yogi's defense.

I accept your apology.

Now, how about DIS?

take's more than one to tango eighty-something...maintain man...maintain. but ya gotta thank 'strap for brown nosin it for ya
don't...don't don't don't don't