[Today at 01:37:19 PM]

[Paint Touches] Streaks, Blocks and other MU Notes by pux90mex
[Today at 01:20:10 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 1/21/19 by JakeBarnes
[Today at 01:20:07 PM]

Big East Conference Results by brewcity77
[Today at 01:09:47 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Is ESPN In Trouble (cord-cutter)  (Read 21717 times)

Rick Majerus' Towel

• Starter
Re: Is ESPN In Trouble (cord-cutter)
« Reply #250 on: December 29, 2018, 11:40:38 PM »

Why didn’t you factor in the dividend Disney paid me during that time?

Why don't you factor in that randomly tossing a dart at the WSJ quotes would have probably produced a better investment than DIS over the 3 1/2 years.

Actually, DIS is only down about $3 since then (which isn't "significantly" for a $100+ stock).

With dividends reinvested, a $10K investment on 8/5/15 would be worth about $10,230 today -- so not a loss at all, but a 2.3% gain.

Now, a 2.3% gain over nearly 3 1/2 years is nothing to really celebrate, especially since the S&P 500 (SPY) is up about 26.6% over the same span, and some blue-chip stocks are up 100% or more since then (such as Microsoft, up 128%).

But it's not a loss, let alone a "significant" one. And DIS has handily beaten SPY over the last year.

The single biggest thing that screams "I don't get it" is measuring investments against breakeven.  Making or losing money basis your cost is irrelevant.  What is important is making or losing against a benchmark, or an alternative to that investment.

As you point out, but dismiss as a secondary point, DIS has been terrible against the index. The S&P is up 26,9% while DIS was up 2.3% over the same period.  Or, if  you like, leaving your money in the bank in 3-month T-Bills was better too, up 3.3% over the same period.

Hence my first comment, DIS has been an enormous loss of opportunity.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #251 on: December 29, 2018, 11:42:44 PM »
Why don't you factor in that randomly tossing a dart at the WSJ quotes would have probably produced a better investment than DIS over the 3 1/2 years.

The single biggest thing that screams "I don't get it" is measuring investments against breakeven.  Making or losing money basis your cost is irrelevant.  What is important is making or losing against a benchmark, or an alternative to that investment.

As you point out, but dismiss as a secondary point, DIS has been terrible against the index. The S&P is up 26,9% while DIS was up 2.3% over the same period.  Or, if  you like, leaving your money in the bank in 3-month T-Bills was better too, up 3.3% over the same period.

Why are you so worried about your stance being wrong?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #252 on: December 29, 2018, 11:56:16 PM »

Actually, the single biggest thing that screams, "I don't get it," is when one has to resort to lies to make his or her point.

You claimed Disney's stock price is "significantly lower" than it was in August 2015. Using facts -- remember those? -- I showed how your statement was false. Now you're shifting the goalposts in a desperate attempt to be "right." Even though you weren't.

I also just said that DIS has far outperformed SPY over the last year, which you ignored because it doesn't fit your narrative.

DIS is one of my smallest holdings. I only recently bought it in two small tranches, at 100 and 101. I plan to gradually build the position with buys when I consider it attractively valued. It doesn't matter one iota to me if you don't invest in it. Go load up on bitcoin, for all I care.

Finally, a company's stock price and its business are two vastly different things. Somebody who "gets it" would know that.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did, and it never will.

-- Frederick Douglass

Rick Majerus' Towel

• Starter
« Reply #253 on: December 30, 2018, 12:42:03 AM »
Actually, the single biggest thing that screams, "I don't get it," is when one has to resort to lies to make his or her point.

You claimed Disney's stock price is "significantly lower" than it was in August 2015. Using facts -- remember those? -- I showed how your statement was false. Now you're shifting the goalposts in a desperate attempt to be "right." Even though you weren't.

I also just said that DIS has far outperformed SPY over the last year, which you ignored because it doesn't fit your narrative.

DIS is one of my smallest holdings. I only recently bought it in two small tranches, at 100 and 101. I plan to gradually build the position with buys when I consider it attractively valued. It doesn't matter one iota to me if you don't invest in it. Go load up on bitcoin, for all I care.

Finally, a company's stock price and its business are two vastly different things. Somebody who "gets it" would know that.

It is significantly lower than the S&P.  Cost does not matter.

Jockey

• Team Captain
  • I remember Pearl Harbor
« Reply #254 on: December 30, 2018, 01:08:16 AM »
Hmmmm....

Has Smuggles returned?

Cheeks

• Team Captain
  • Yup name is Jamie. Hi all.
« Reply #255 on: December 30, 2018, 01:13:20 AM »

Why do you care Tugg?

Second, most of my DIS stock is from $27 to $34 when I worked for them.  I like owning great American companies.

Third, the are about to own 67 % of Hulu, will make a crap ton of money due to the forced divesture of their RSN’s to whomever  buys.  They have major amusement park expansion opening next year.  I’m fine with the investment.  I don’t trade out daily or yearly for that matter.  I’m buying and holding, same reason why Buffett bought so much Apple....now feel free to beat the market all day if you wish and God’s speed doing it. Don’t particularly care, that’s your call.

Sultan of South Wayne

• All American
  • 18-19 Top 4 BE 5 Seed NCAA
« Reply #256 on: December 30, 2018, 08:02:33 AM »
Hmmmm....

Has Smuggles returned?

You just figured that out?  He’s also claiming to be right about Apple because of their performance over the last few months.
I hope my signature is snowflake and mod approved.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #257 on: December 30, 2018, 05:14:46 PM »
Hmmmm....

Has Smuggles returned?

So much fun to have Smuggles and chicos back, two guys who love arguing for the sake of arguing, two guys who are never wrong.

-- Frederick Douglass

Cheeks

• Team Captain
« Reply #258 on: December 30, 2018, 06:00:22 PM »
So much fun to have Smuggles and chicos back, two guys who love arguing for the sake of arguing, two guys who are never wrong.

The irony coming from you. I’m wrong a lot, just as you are.  I can admit that for both of us. Progress

MU82

• All American
« Reply #259 on: December 30, 2018, 06:02:02 PM »
The irony coming from you. I’m wrong a lot, just as you are.  I can admit that for both of us. Progress

I do not argue just to argue. And I admit when I am wrong, and apologize if necessary. If you follow that blueprint, it would be appreciated. Happy New Year.

-- Frederick Douglass

Cheeks

• Team Captain
« Reply #260 on: December 30, 2018, 06:23:47 PM »
I do not argue just to argue. And I admit when I am wrong, and apologize if necessary. If you follow that blueprint, it would be appreciated. Happy New Year.

Countless examples I can bring up in last few months while observing before coming back, but whatever.  Happy New Year