collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU-bars-in-the-old-days thread  (Read 6793 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: MU-bars-in-the-old-days thread
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2015, 12:46:27 PM »
Cupcake was supposed to perform but she was pregnant. We tried to have her come anyways but she decided it was probably best to sit this one out. I forget the replacement's name.

You can read more about it here. The story starts around the 12th paragraph. There's pics too.

http://americasfinestambassador.com/life-of-a-manchild/chapter-25-midget-stripper-extravaganza/

It was actually the second time we got a stripper to come to O'Brady's

Holy hell one of my buddies from my sophomore year is in those photos hahaha i'd heard of a stripper being there did not know she was a midget that's awesome. I applaud you. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2015, 09:59:15 PM »
Dunks,

Can you weigh in on this matter of midget strippers?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2015, 06:16:22 AM »
We went there way too much my freshman year. They would charge $5 at the door and then have 3-4 kegs in the back that you tapped yourself, also had $1 shots. It was more on an organized house party than it was a bar.

True story: my senior year my buddy hired a midget stripper to "perform" there. She lasted all of 3 minutes before the crowd got out of hand and her bodyguard gave her a piggyback ride outta there. She was doomed before she even stepped foot in the place.

that's funny!  before PC heyna?  she probably saw you guys warming up for "the toss" ;D next time, hide the measuring tapes
don't...don't don't don't don't

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2015, 01:26:57 PM »
Any y'all frequent the Chatter Box on State St. or partake in naked slidin'?
How 'bout them old eateries like Blue Deli, J.J. Garlic's, Dal's, Java Shop, Grebe's, Shakey's, or Suburpia, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2015, 05:18:24 PM »
How 'bout them old eateries like Blue Deli, J.J. Garlic's, Dal's, Java Shop, Grebe's, Shakey's, or Suburpia, hey?

i tended bar for jj garlic at both his wells street joint and the public natatorium.  swam with the dolphins after hours-cool, but if they weren't in a good mood, they would nip a little. 

jj was a real character

also worked for grebe-he ran the miller jazz oasis for summerfest-where i met my bride of 30 years and david clarke when he was a beat cop.  lot's of stories, before i met my lovely of course 8-)

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2015, 08:12:22 PM »
check me off on the naked slidin'......but it was on Irish night :'( so my 1/8 Italian helped.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2015, 11:35:57 AM »

Suburpia vs Cousins...Cousins.

Rick frequented the Cousins on 17th & Wisconsin. He favored the Cheese Steak loaded with that hot relish. The thing about Majerus is that as we all milled about waiting for our orders he would engage in the banter. And it was almost never about hoops or the team. He really was just a regular guy.

Suburpia used way too much oil on everything they made. And they weren't using Extra Virgin Olive Oil, either. It was some no-name industrial vegetable oil.

Death on call

only a warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2015, 03:43:21 PM »
Nobody mentioning Bernie and Melbas across from O'Pagets.  Always a good time to mix it up with the townies to release a little stress.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2015, 09:13:48 PM »

Rick frequented the Cousins on 17th & Wisconsin. He favored the Cheese Steak loaded with that hot relish. The thing about Majerus is that as we all milled about waiting for our orders he would engage in the banter. And it was almost never about hoops or the team. He really was just a regular guy.

Suburpia used way too much oil on everything they made. And they weren't using Extra Virgin Olive Oil, either. It was some no-name industrial vegetable oil.
That may be true for Suburpia but Cousins used about a half jar of mayo on each sandwich.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2015, 11:53:29 AM »

As a former Suburpia employee back in the 70's, you could always order with "no oil" or "easy on the oil".

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2015, 11:56:02 AM »
10W30, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2015, 11:57:47 AM »
keefe was dead on with: It was some no-name industrial vegetable oil.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2015, 05:59:25 PM »
10W30, hey?

warrior with the slam-dunk follow as usual

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2015, 03:01:47 AM »
As a former Suburpia employee back in the 70's, you could always order with "no oil" or "easy on the oil".

Uhhhh...I only ate Suburpia after a hard night at the Lanche...I had enough problems reading the menu board much less trying to gauge how much oil I wanted on a sammy

Death on call

Goose

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2015, 02:19:06 PM »
Was at MU from'81-'89 and can say not a bad bar in the area. Loved them all and shared the wealth to as many as possible. Soft spot for The Gym and still loving all the former Gym bartenders around town.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2015, 04:20:12 PM »
Was at MU from'81-'89 and can say not a bad bar in the area. Loved them all and shared the wealth to as many as possible. Soft spot for The Gym and still loving all the former Gym bartenders around town.

Wow, you even have Bluto beat....

Have some patience, FFS.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2015, 09:49:39 AM »
Warriorchick

Possibly the spreading the wealth at MU bars prolonged my stay. That time does include four years fulltime, four summer school sessions, two winter break classes and a half decade of night classes to finish last 20 credits. Knock on wood that Dean Price sensed it might never happen and offered a helping hand to bring closure. He was the best and his help was greatly appreciated. Did not hurt that I am married another Dean's daughter in '87.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2015, 10:04:06 AM »
I had enough problems reading the menu board much less trying to gauge how much oil I wanted on a sammy

they really tried to keep it simple by only have 6 sandwich choices back then, just choose your meat preference  ;D

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2015, 08:15:52 PM »
Did not hurt that I am married another Dean's daughter in '87.
Night putting with the Dean's daughter.....nice.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.