[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU-bars-in-the-old-days thread  (Read 6794 times)

tower912

• All American
MU-bars-in-the-old-days thread
« on: August 03, 2015, 07:35:20 PM »
Before we derail another thread with discussion of great bars we once loved, how about we concentrate all of them here.   

I enjoyed the Gym, O'D's, Wednesday night import night at the Ardmore, but my sophomore and junior years were spent at Carpenter Tower and Hegarty's was my bar.    Every Sunday night for a semester.    During finals week when the prof forgot what time the final was at Johnston Hall and I had an hour to kill.   Where I sat down at a table full of girls I knew and asked "Which one of you am I going home with tonight?" and not only lived to tell the tale, but went home with one of them.   Mmmmmm, beer. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: MU-bars-in-the-old-days thread
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 08:41:16 PM »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 08:59:21 PM »
i tended bar at hegarty's and managed the "talk of the town-met many people where the conversations continued well into the next day(s). 

celebrated getting into grad school in tomas-also where i heard the first rumors of a certain star mu b-ball player stealing his best friends(also an mu b-ball star) girl friend-that's all i will say on that. 

the 'lanche-what a classic. didn't need a sign on the door-no shoes...unless you were feeling no pain already heyna

you would not catch me waiting in any line to get into a bar(o'donahues)

hegarty's glocca morra to get away from the crowds and noise

j.v. grunts-watched MU lose to miami of ohio, 1st round ncaa tourny 1978 as defending champs-i am still not over that loss and jerome whitehead getting thrown out of game.  we had a better team than 1977 for chriminey sakes >:( 

the circle inn-great place to meet a merry mountie from mount mary ;D  and do 151 flamers

da midget bar-need i say more?

don't...don't don't don't don't

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 10:13:26 PM »
O.D's and Hagarty's Frosh year and maybe Soph - too crowded, too 80's but a great first freedom experience. 

'Lanche Jr. and Sr. year to witness the transition from broken bottles to naked beer slides to butt quarters with the Farley's (i was a 1st generation Hell House guy if anyone else was a late 80's grad).  My kids will NEVER know something like that.  everything from bringing a lawn chair for Lanch-a-thons to "did that guy just try to rob the Lanche?" "yeah, but Tommy pulled his piece.  Oh, it's your buy"

lived above the Gym for my +.5.  I won't give details.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 10:20:54 PM »
Really only 2 bars on campus now. It's Cafs and Murphs only. All the underagers go to the harp and shame. The older crowd, especially seniors, go to Water or Brady. Buckheads is a big one because someone either has a free beer party or a $1 mixer party there every weekend. Buckheads can get out of hand in a hurry.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 03:13:26 AM »
Reprint: http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=38960.msg499433#msg499433

Unfortunately you are too late to experience two of the finest watering holes to ever offer chilled beverages to slake the thirst of a parched community. The brick and mortar of the Lanche and Lenny's are gone...but the memories remain...

The Lanche was that worn plantation house fallen on hard times, glimpses of her former glory straining against faded chintz, the yellowed chandeliers from Paris no longer illuminating splendid gentlemen in gray, settled uncomfortably on the veranda for the next mint julep while rehashing that field and Pickett's failure and the agony of what might have been, as the rustle of hooped skirts reverberates through darkened hallways hinting at the salacious, but the only life is in the Spanish Moss draped capriciously on gnarled cypress.

Lenny's was the tar paper shack out on the Bayou, beyond the critical gaze of the censuring eye, where the gentility slithered off at dusk to join the unwashed indulging earthier hungers, the sharp twang of the blues resonates off tin, the sorrow and pity of those words adding depth, richness, and meaning to the bourbon, there is loss but few regrets and certainly no remorse, where a man's soul is darker than the waters outside with desires more venomous than the cotton mouth, a place where dreams swirl in a monotonous languor bereft of hope.

Death on call

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 07:43:46 AM »
The Lighthouse was 120 steps from OD's.  OD's was great for a pitcher of Combat Juice, which was concocted using a little bit of just about every type of alcohol in the bar.  We were about the same distance to the Lanche as well. I remember going back to MU for a hoops game in the early 90's and going to the Lanche with my wife, her brother and his wife (all alums) after the game.  They actually had a bouncer carding people at the door.  When we walked up he took one look at us and said, "Oh, alumni!, come on in!"  It sucks to get old.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 08:33:18 AM »
Went to the Lanche a year or 2 after graduating.  Finished my first beer and threw down the bottle.  Got thrown out. 

I'm like "What the Hell?"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 01:04:52 PM »
Went to the Lanche a year or 2 after graduating.  Finished my first beer and threw down the bottle.  Got thrown out. 

I'm like "What the Hell?"

Well, Marquette also hired Dukiet...

Death on call

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 03:36:03 PM »
Really only 2 bars on campus now. It's Cafs and Murphs only. All the underagers go to the harp and shame. The older crowd, especially seniors, go to Water or Brady. Buckheads is a big one because someone either has a free beer party or a $1 mixer party there every weekend. Buckheads can get out of hand in a hurry.

Isn't Conway's still open?

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 09:37:08 PM »
Isn't Conway's still open?

Yeah but nobody goes there really. Thursday is the biggest bar night for underclassmen. My freshman year victors was the spot, and my soph year was Buckheads and Bad Genie by cathedral square. I heard that a lot of freshman this year went to the harp and sham on Thursdays. Apparently it was bought by a recent alumn a few months ago. Murphs and caffs are usually fairly strict when it comes to underagers.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 11:09:24 PM »
Freshman year it was Hegarty's because I was only 17 and they didn't give a crap.  I remember celebrating my 18th birthday in there...  well, I remember parts of it...

Lanche was only an occasional haunt but is sorely missed for the cultural experiences it always provided.

3rd-5th years it was the Gym for me.  Leading up to graduation,  did a streak of one year of  consecutive nights with at least one beer there, except the nights it was closed when the Ardmore was a change of pace.

Seems like MU has cleared out most of these fine institutions. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 12:22:32 AM »
The Hamrock - lived by it on 22nd in the Cambridge.

"Up Jenkins" and hammerschlagen at the Hofbrau.

The Harp used to do $2 car bombs on Thursdays. Woof.

Das boot at Hooligan's.

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 07:17:52 AM »
No mention of The Greentree?  $3 all you can drink. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 07:32:05 AM »
It's interesting to me how the changing of the drinking age back to 21 impacted the campus bar scene.  Obviously many went away over time but the other thing I note is that quest undergrads embarked on to find underage drinking availability typically a bit farther from campus.  I arrived on campus fully legal at 18 and Frosh year JV Grunts was the watering hole of choice.  Didn't really need to venture too far beyond that but by Sophomore year had moved on to other joints.  Do you guys recall the year the drinking age changed?  Was there grandfathering?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2015, 07:43:13 AM »
The drinking age went from 18 to 19 on July 1, 1984.    There was grandfathering.     Luckily for me. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2015, 08:21:23 AM »
Yeah but nobody goes there really. Thursday is the biggest bar night for underclassmen. My freshman year victors was the spot, and my soph year was Buckheads and Bad Genie by cathedral square. I heard that a lot of freshman this year went to the harp and sham on Thursdays. Apparently it was bought by a recent alumn a few months ago. Murphs and caffs are usually fairly strict when it comes to underagers.

How dare you its called victims, Not victors!

Anybody remember O'Bradys on Water Street? That place was old as dirt when I was going there still remember playing thumper and a part of the ceiling falling onto our table. Not to mention people walking out with their beer signs and such
Maigh Eo for Sam

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2015, 08:41:18 AM »
Anybody remember O'Bradys on Water Street? That place was old as dirt when I was going there still remember playing thumper and a part of the ceiling falling onto our table. Not to mention people walking out with their beer signs and such

Thankfully, they tore down that dump a few months ago.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2015, 09:31:09 AM »
My favorite watering hole was Callahans (sp?). It was on the corner of 15th street (no longer exists) and West Clybourn just around the corner from the Wehr Life Science building. It was torn down in the summer of '69.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2015, 10:20:16 AM »
Thankfully, they tore down that dump a few months ago.

Haha yeah I drove by and saw it's gone. Man that place was such a hazard... do you remember the keg parties there because the taps didn't work?
Maigh Eo for Sam

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2015, 10:22:49 AM »
Haha yeah I drove by and saw it's gone. Man that place was such a hazard... do you remember the keg parties there because the taps didn't work?

Only stopped there with friends once and had a quick beer. Two days later, the bouncer got stabbed.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2015, 10:48:25 AM »

Anybody remember O'Bradys on Water Street?

We went there way too much my freshman year. They would charge $5 at the door and then have 3-4 kegs in the back that you tapped yourself, also had $1 shots. It was more on an organized house party than it was a bar.

True story: my senior year my buddy hired a midget stripper to "perform" there. She lasted all of 3 minutes before the crowd got out of hand and her bodyguard gave her a piggyback ride outta there. She was doomed before she even stepped foot in the place.
Bring back FFP!!!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2015, 11:05:18 AM »
We went there way too much my freshman year. They would charge $5 at the door and then have 3-4 kegs in the back that you tapped yourself, also had $1 shots. It was more on an organized house party than it was a bar.

True story: my senior year my buddy hired a midget stripper to "perform" there. She lasted all of 3 minutes before the crowd got out of hand and her bodyguard gave her a piggyback ride outta there. She was doomed before she even stepped foot in the place.

Hahaha great story! I remember the kegs that you'd tap yourself, and organized house party is a good way to put it.
Maigh Eo for Sam

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2015, 11:44:00 AM »

Was her name Cupcake?

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2015, 11:59:19 AM »
Was her name Cupcake?

Cupcake was supposed to perform but she was pregnant. We tried to have her come anyways but she decided it was probably best to sit this one out. I forget the replacement's name.

You can read more about it here. The story starts around the 12th paragraph. There's pics too.

http://americasfinestambassador.com/life-of-a-manchild/chapter-25-midget-stripper-extravaganza/

It was actually the second time we got a stripper to come to O'Brady's
Bring back FFP!!!

feedback