[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Cecil the Lion  (Read 15644 times)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Cecil the Lion
« on: July 28, 2015, 11:55:17 AM »
I know there are hunters on this board (I am not one), so I'm curious as to what your hunting "code" is.

Apparently, this guy drops cash and hunts big game.
Why? Cuz he can? Likes the challenge? Small prick? I don't know.

But if he IS behind this killing, it's sad that someone will travel to another county, much less continent to hunt an animal that was revered and symbolic to the preserve.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/american-dentist-killed-cecil-lion-zimbabwe-article-1.2306401

http://heavy.com/news/2015/07/walter-palmer-minnesota-dentist-hunter-killed-cecil-the-lion-dead-shot-zimbabwe-illegal-arrested-photos-video-cubs-theo-bronchorst-trymore-ndlovu/

http://heavy.com/news/2015/07/walter-palmer-cecil-the-lion-africa-big-game-hunter-kills-rhinoceros-rhino-leopard-panther-pose-photos-pictures/
SS Marquette

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Cecil the Lion
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 12:05:39 PM »
What a real he-man...

Death on call

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 12:13:40 PM »
Might get interesting.  US has an extradition treaty with Zimbabwe....

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 01:04:44 PM »
Screw this d-bag.  His BS about not knowing the lion was special is sickening.  You shot the thing multiple times while tracking it and didn't notice it had a tracking collar?  And if the story is true about them luring it off protected land with meat on a truck, then screw this guy.  Its one thing when its uneducated, poor poachers flagrantly breaking rules and killing protected species, but this situation?  Even worse, and more despicable.

And for the record, I'm not anti-hunting.  I'm not a hunter myself but I have little against it.  However, big game hunting in Africa in this day and age is pretty ridiculous to me.  And nothing about this case seemed to "respect" the creature.  Including beheading it and leaving its carcass behind.

brandx

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 01:25:53 PM »
Sick people with guns.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 01:31:10 PM »
And for the record, I'm not anti-hunting.  I'm not a hunter myself but I have little against it.  However, big game hunting in Africa in this day and age is pretty ridiculous to me.  And nothing about this case seemed to "respect" the creature.  Including beheading it and leaving its carcass behind.

That's where I fall on this as well. The whole thing is pretty despicable.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 02:36:51 PM »
That's where I fall on this as well. The whole thing is pretty despicable.

Agreed on all accounts.   Hell.... I actually agree with PETA on this one: "hunting is a coward's pastime."

If you're hunting for food, then I have no beef with you; just remember your old friend Benny the next time you can't fit those last few venison steaks into your freezer.  If your purpose in hunting is to help "cull the herd," then I also take no exception to your leisure.  Heck, I'll even recognize the camaraderie and family bonding experience of deer camp as a legitimate reason to hunt if that's your excuse for picking up a rifle (so long as the group itself observes one of the two aforementioned purposes).

But if you hunt strictly for the "thrill" of killing an animal and hanging its head on your wall, then there's something seriously wrong with you.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

brandx

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 02:40:47 PM »
Agreed on all accounts.   Hell.... I actually agree with PETA on this one: "hunting is a coward's pastime."

If you're hunting for food, then I have no beef with you; just remember your old friend Benny the next time you can't fit those last few venison steaks into your freezer.  If your purpose in hunting is to help "cull the herd," then I also take no exception to your leisure.  Heck, I'll even recognize the camaraderie and family bonding experience of deer camp as a legitimate reason to hunt if that's your excuse for picking up a rifle (so long as the group itself observes one of the two aforementioned purposes).

But if you hunt strictly for the "thrill" of killing an animal and hanging its head on your wall, then there's something seriously wrong with you.

Agree 100%.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 02:50:18 PM »

+1

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 02:51:23 PM »
The hunters in my family care more about preserving the eco-system more than most people I know.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 02:53:25 PM »
Here's a question... how many of you 'Soh-tans are going to be looking for a new tooth-jockey soon.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 02:57:14 PM »
Here's a question... how many of you 'Soh-tans are going to be looking for a new tooth-jockey soon.

Not surprisingly, the Star-Tribune indicated that the office abruptly closed this morning when the story came out.  Interestingly, when patients who hadn't been notified came to the door, there was a sign referring them to a local PR firm.

This guy is going to need a lot more than a PR firm.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 04:01:57 PM »
The hunters in my family care more about preserving the eco-system more than most people I know.

Agreed.  Most are very into conservation and preservation cause its vital to continued enjoyment of their hobby/interest.  That doesn't count for spending large sums of money to shoot a big cat from a truck. 

I hope someone pees on his front doorknob.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 04:36:48 PM »
Maybe some locals should be allowed to hunt this POS for sport.  Sickening. 

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 11:01:25 PM »
I don't agree with the hunter at all on this one but here in Wisconsin people shoot game for sport.  Wolves are legal to hunt now and I'm pretty sure people aren't eating that meat.  Large predator just like a lion.  Coyotes can be shot any time of the day or night 365 days a year without a license or anything.  Sell the hides and nothing else.  Bear are ran to exhaustion by a pack of dogs until they climb a tree and are shot to drop to their death.  Or they are baited and shot just like this lion was.  Sure people eat bear but those big fur rugs look great hanging on walls. 

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2015, 11:30:24 PM »
I don't agree with the hunter at all on this one but here in Wisconsin people shoot game for sport.  Wolves are legal to hunt now and I'm pretty sure people aren't eating that meat.  Large predator just like a lion.  Coyotes can be shot any time of the day or night 365 days a year without a license or anything.  Sell the hides and nothing else.  Bear are ran to exhaustion by a pack of dogs until they climb a tree and are shot to drop to their death.  Or they are baited and shot just like this lion was.  Sure people eat bear but those big fur rugs look great hanging on walls.

Your sentence structure, it just flows so nicely.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2015, 02:00:39 AM »
This dentist...there is something terribly wrong with his moral compass to do what he did. It seems he takes incredible pleasure in killing for the sake of...killing. Luring that animal out of the reserve with meat then taking 40 hours to kill it is beyond cruel. It makes no sense whatsoever.

Death on call

🏀

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 08:23:34 AM »

Wolf tags are issued for population control, same with beer tags. Those are both lotteries.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 08:47:51 AM »
Wolf tags are issued for population control, same with beer tags. Those are both lotteries.

I am all for controlling the over-abundance of beer.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2015, 09:00:42 AM »

I really should be doing my part right now, but it's not beer season until 5:30p tonight.

source?

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2015, 09:56:18 AM »
I really should be doing my part right now, but it's not beer season until 5:30p tonight.

I think us college students get a special exception.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2015, 10:15:35 AM »

I took down quite a lot of this dangerous prey this last weekend in Lake Geneva....should be safe to travel in that area again.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2015, 10:37:50 AM »
One benefit about living in a rural area is that I get to hunt on my land.   I hunt deer and turkey because both are delicious.   There is an over population of coyotes in my area to the point that young livestock and some pets are getting killed.  Coyotes are very difficult to hunt and I would do it if I had more time.  There are folks who tan their hides and do various things with them.

One of the best parts of hunting is managing your land for habitat.  I enjoy removing invasive plants and replacing with native trees and grasses as well as food plots for the herbivores.  The previous owner was hands off and the place was infested with buckthorn, canary grass and other invasives -- resulting in poor animal habitat.  Now, I capture game cam pictures of rabbits, raccoons, turkey, deer, coyote, skunk, opossum, chipmunks, squirrels and cranes.   I also love the tactical planning part (using my army training -- the same terrain analysis applies) where I develop trails, clearings, food plots and treelines to steer animals (or understand their travel patterns) where I want them.

When I am successful, I also enjoy butchering and packaging the animal myself.   You get to cut and prepare the meat how you like it and, as a result, it is absolutely superior to anything you buy in a store.

I have no time for those who use bait and have canned hunts where they are virtually guaranteed an animal.  I also never hunt to put an animal on the wall.  To me, only 5 percent of hunting is pulling the trigger.  The other 95 percent are the fun activities that provides for that singular opportunity.   

PS:  I haven't seen one yet, but I will shoot a badger for being a badger ;)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 10:43:25 AM by Badgerhater »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2015, 10:41:47 AM »
One benefit about living in a rural area is that I get to hunt on my land.   I hunt deer and turkey because both are delicious.   There is an over population of coyotes in my area to the point that young livestock and some pets are getting killed.  Coyotes are very difficult to hunt and I would do it if I had more time.  There are folks who tan their hides and do various things with them.

One of the best parts of hunting is managing your land for habitat.  I enjoy removing invasive plants and replacing with native trees and grasses as well as food plots for the herbivores.  The previous owner was hands off and the place was infested with buckthorn, canary grass and other invasives -- resulting in poor animal habitat.  Now, I capture game cam pictures of rabbits, raccoons, turkey, deer, coyote, skunk, opossum, chipmunks, squirrels and cranes.   I also love the tactical planning part (using my army training -- the same terrain analysis applies) where I develop trails, clearings, food plots and treelines to steer animals where I want them.

When I am successful, I also enjoy butchering and packaging the animal myself.   You get to cut and prepare the meat how you like it and, as a result, it is absolutely superior to anything you buy in a store.

I have no time for those who use bait and have canned hunts where they are virtually guaranteed an animal.  I also never hunt to put an animal on the wall.  To me, only 5 percent of hunting is pulling the trigger.  The other 95 percent are the fun activities that provides for that singular opportunity.   

PS:  I haven't seen one yet, but I will shoot a badger for being a badger ;)

Badgers are an exponentially greater threat to the beer population than hunters will ever be.  So I'll give you a pass on that one on the grounds of preservation.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2015, 01:26:47 PM »
I took down quite a lot of this dangerous prey this last weekend in Lake Geneva....should be safe to travel in that area again.

I took down 12 of those bad guys floating on the Wisconsin River as well.