collapse

* Recent Posts

NM by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:03:20 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MU82
[Today at 12:03:03 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Help Needed  (Read 3430 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Help Needed
« on: June 16, 2015, 02:22:28 PM »
A friend and his wife are taking their daughter and her three daughters (ages 16, 14 and 11) up to Milwaukee to tour the Marquette campus this Thursday. He's looking for maybe a brew pub near campus for dinner. Suggestions? I assume the kids can get in a brew pub?

Thanks for any help.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 02:28:48 PM »
Sobelman's is probably the easiest option as they are right on campus now, though I'd recommend Oscar's on Pierce. It's right across the 16th Street viaduct south of campus. Great burgers, good beer selection, outdoor seating, and they are kid-friendly.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 02:29:51 PM »
Water Street Brewery is always a good choice downtown.  Brews their own, decent food, no problem with kids.

https://www.waterstreetbrewery.com/

Milwaukee Ale House is in the Third Ward.  I don't think the food is as good.

http://ale-house.com/

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 02:32:57 PM »
If it's nice out then they should go to the Milwaukee Ale house and sit along the river. They have decent food, good beers, but mainly a great atmosphere. It's always one of the spots that I try to hit up whenever I'm in Milwaukee during the summer.
Bring back FFP!!!

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 02:35:04 PM »
If they don't mind a 10-15 minute drive from campus, St. Francis Brewery is another good shout. On KK and Howard. For my money, better beer than either of the breweries on Water (or Lakefront, for that matter, though Lakefront has better fish fry). If you like Belgians, the Lust at St. Francis is to die for.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 02:47:28 PM »
I will always 2nd Oscars, good beer and best burger in Milwaukee County in my opinion.

If it's nice out, I'd recommend Cafe Benelux in the 3rd Ward and sit on the rooftop.  Great atmosphere, fantastic beer list (good selection of Wits and Belgians) and very good eclectic pub food.

St Francis is great as well.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 02:48:15 PM »
I know it's a chain but Rock Bottom is also nearby on the river and IMO most of their beers are better than anything from Water St, I like their food but cannot compare to the food at Water St as I've not eaten there much (see comment re: Water St beer  ;) )

I'm not a fan of the food at St. Francis Brewery, nor their beers to be honest (my brother lives very close and we've been there many times)

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 02:57:13 PM »
Another solid spot if it's nice out is Brocach Irish Pub. It's also along the river and has seating on the roof. 
Bring back FFP!!!

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 03:04:58 PM »
Another solid spot if it's nice out is Brocach Irish Pub. It's also along the river and has seating on the roof. 

Brocach actually just closed this winter and re-opened as Red Lion Pub.  Can't tell you how similar or different it is compared to Brocach because I haven't been in there yet but I live in the area so I've noticed it.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 03:25:37 PM »
A friend and his wife are taking their daughter and her three daughters (ages 16, 14 and 11) up to Milwaukee to tour the Marquette campus this Thursday. He's looking for maybe a brew pub near campus for dinner. Suggestions? I assume the kids can get in a brew pub?

Thanks for any help.

Not only could the kids get in the brew pub, they could drink.

"Persons under age 21 may possess and consume alcohol beverages if they are with their parents, guardians or spouses of legal drinking age;"

https://www.revenue.wi.gov/faqs/ise/atundrg.html

Isn't Wisconsin neat?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 03:32:03 PM »
Rickey's is an easy walk up State Street from campus.

Death on call

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 03:33:50 PM »
Is John Hawk's still open?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 03:34:51 PM »
Not only could the kids get in the brew pub, they could drink.

"Persons under age 21 may possess and consume alcohol beverages if they are with their parents, guardians or spouses of legal drinking age;"

https://www.revenue.wi.gov/faqs/ise/atundrg.html

Isn't Wisconsin neat?

Depends on the place.  Some choose to enforce the 21-year-old age limit.

A few years ago, neither Bryant's nor the Iron Horse's bar would serve my daughter, even though she was with me and was three weeks shy of turning 21.
Have some patience, FFS.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2015, 03:39:49 PM »
Echo what others have said.

If it's nice out, go for Milwaukee Ale House, sit along the river.  If not, Water Street Brewery is solid.

As an aside, when my niece came up for a MU campus visit last month, I took them to the MKE Ale House.   Result: She picked MU.

(Which was surprising.  When I picked them up downtown, I turned up Wisconsin Ave and immediately drove through a garbage tornado.  Surprised she picked MU after that dreary, rainy evening tour, when she's an Arizona girl.)

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 03:47:25 PM »
Depends on the place.  Some choose to enforce the 21-year-old age limit.

A few years ago, neither Bryant's nor the Iron Horse's bar would serve my daughter, even though she was with me and was three weeks shy of turning 21.

An Illinois ID can do that here

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2015, 04:25:02 PM »
Is John Hawk's still open?

It's definitely still there, and I believe still open. We walked along the Riverwalk the other day and while we didn't stop in, the signage (and old school phone booth) are definitely still present at the John Hawk's locatioin.

MU31

• Walk-On
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2015, 04:28:16 PM »
Wicked Hop in 3rd Ward?

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2015, 04:30:58 PM »
I'm a fan of Port of Call too. Great location on the river and huge outdoor seating area. A little more on the pricey side then your typical bar food joint though.
Bring back FFP!!!

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2015, 04:42:59 PM »
Depends on the place.  Some choose to enforce the 21-year-old age limit.

Right, establishments have the right to enforce the 21 age if they want. But as far as the law is concerned, even the 11 year old could drink!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2015, 05:11:10 PM »
Real Chili

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2015, 06:16:00 PM »
Cafe Benelux upstairs patio.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2015, 06:27:59 PM »
Another vote for Cafe Benelux.

Surprised at all the votes for Water Street Brewery. My daughter and I went there before a game this past season and the food wasn't nearly as good as it was several years back. Maybe I was just there on an off night….

The new John Hawk's is a shadow of the original.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2015, 08:11:56 PM »
Benelux is good, just be careful on weekends for brunch. You're liable to be waiting awhile. Another good option not too far is Cafe Centraal. They have awesome Bloody Marys that are actually worth having because of the quality of the drink and not just the crazy crap they pile on top. Good sandwich and brunch items as well.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2015, 10:17:39 PM »
Thanks to all for your help - lots of good choices.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2015, 10:22:33 PM »
Right, establishments have the right to enforce the 21 age if they want. But as far as the law is concerned, even the 11 year old could drink!

Once you're 18, you're no longer a minor, so the law doesn't apply. In other words, 11 year olds can drink with their parents, as can 17 year olds. 20 year olds are no go, technically.

feedback