[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Travel Wisconsin Commercial Featuring Bo Ryan  (Read 4727 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Travel Wisconsin Commercial Featuring Bo Ryan
« on: June 14, 2015, 01:43:04 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTCjDnqVqc0

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/oTCjDnqVqc0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/oTCjDnqVqc0</a>

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Travel Wisconsin Commercial Featuring Bo Ryan
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 02:12:14 PM »
Things have changed, using actors in real Wisconsin uniforms would not be allowed under NCAA rules back in the day.  I wonder how many of the actors portrayed in the commercial are on pace to graduate? 

Looks like the authenticity of the racial makeup of the team was captured appropriately, however.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 02:25:16 PM »
Was accurate with how much whining Bo does
Maigh Eo for Sam

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 02:39:54 PM »
Gotta love Bo, doe, he be sittin' as king on the throne, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

source?

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 04:05:39 PM »
Things have changed, using actors in real Wisconsin uniforms would not be allowed under NCAA rules back in the day.  I wonder how many of the actors portrayed in the commercial are on pace to graduate? 

Looks like the authenticity of the racial makeup of the team was captured appropriately, however.

I honestly don't know the answer to this, but does the fact that it is a state sponsored commercial and UW is a state university possibly have something to do with it? Sort of a situation where the state owns the school and the school owns the trademark?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 09:07:59 PM »
SS Marquette

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 09:19:31 PM »
Every time I see this guy I am just amazed that anyone could consider him likable. Just gives me the creeps.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 07:51:01 AM »
Have you ever met him?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

seakm4

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 08:24:47 PM »
Last time I saw the emperor so happy was the day after the death star was completed.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 08:45:09 PM »
Have you ever met him?

I have never met Bo Ryan but he seems like a turd.

Death on call

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 09:07:22 PM »
It makes no sense to use Bo Ryan in commercials. He is only liked by people *in* the state, which is not their target audience.

I've seen these commercials living in Illinois and they get ridiculed. Really a poor decision if the goal is to actually increase Wisconsin's tourism.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 07:08:32 AM »
A Referee calls Bo for traveling with the ball?

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 08:08:12 AM »
It makes no sense to use Bo Ryan in commercials. He is only liked by people *in* the state, which is not their target audience.

I've seen these commercials living in Illinois and they get ridiculed. Really a poor decision if the goal is to actually increase Wisconsin's tourism.

This sounds like exactly what you would expect from an ad agency in Wisconsin. (And I say that as a native Wisconsinite.)

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2015, 09:35:40 AM »
This sounds like exactly what you would expect from an ad agency in Wisconsin. (And I say that as a native Wisconsinite.)

Its right up there with the Jordy Nelson ruby slipper commercials from a year ago.  Not exactly what you want to target Illinois, Minnesota, and Michigan residents.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 09:40:19 AM »

Its right up there with the Jordy Nelson ruby slipper commercials from a year ago.  Not exactly what you want to target Illinois, Minnesota, and Michigan residents.

Wisconsin tourism commercials have sucked ass since they brought in the Zucker brothers.  They look like ads that are trying to win awards or impress those who are cutting the checks versus getting those who live out of state to come to Wisconsin for tourism.  The Minnesota governor called their "Airplane" ad one of "the most idiotic things I've ever seen."  He was right.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2015, 09:58:42 AM »

Wisconsin tourism commercials have sucked ass since they brought in the Zucker brothers.  They look like ads that are trying to win awards or impress those who are cutting the checks versus getting those who live out of state to come to Wisconsin for tourism.  The Minnesota governor called their "Airplane" ad one of "the most idiotic things I've ever seen."  He was right.
Pure Michigan FTW!
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

GOO

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2015, 10:20:55 AM »
I hope these commercials are only be shown in Wisconsin.  If they are used outside Wis, then this is just plain nuts and antagonistic towards those we want to come here.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2015, 10:28:49 AM »

The only thing that matters is if they work.  Is tourism up?  Can they correlate it with increased calls, visits, etc to the CTA in the ads.

I've been around plenty of campaigns that were hailed as brilliant or stupid (sometimes both for the same campaigns), at the end of the day do they work?  That is what matters in advertising.  Opinions, not so much.  Awards, not a damn thing for consumers, but they do keep people employed in the creative side (not the business side).  Results driven world.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2015, 10:38:56 AM »

Well, at least they are better than the Illinois ones with Robot Chicken Abraham Lincoln:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/bnWhAT6Cjws" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/bnWhAT6Cjws</a>

I noticed they aren't playing those any more.  Budget cuts?  Or the realization that they sucked?
Have some patience, FFS.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2015, 11:36:00 AM »

I smell...I smell the stench of Zizzo...

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2015, 11:37:12 AM »

Death on call

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2015, 11:48:48 AM »

Yup. Impressing those cutting the checks or just trying to be too clever and impress each other. I can't imagine anyone seeing any of the Travel WI commercials I've seen over the past few years and thinking "I should check that out."

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2015, 12:06:55 PM »
Yup. Impressing those cutting the checks or just trying to be too clever and impress each other. I can't imagine anyone seeing any of the Travel WI commercials I've seen over the past few years and thinking "I should check that out."

I don't see sports celebrities as arbiters of taste or purveyors of insight. And how many people outside of WI actually know of Bo Ryan?

Let the product speak for itself - WI is a beautiful destination. Frankly, most people see some anonymous old guy riding go karts or water skiing and never make the emotional connection with providing a great experience for their family. 

Death on call

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2015, 12:20:24 PM »
I don't see sports celebrities as arbiters of taste or purveyors of insight. And how many people outside of WI actually know of Bo Ryan?

Let the product speak for itself - WI is a beautiful destination. Frankly, most people see some anonymous old guy riding go karts or water skiing and never make the emotional connection with providing a great experience for their family. 

Discover Wisconsin used to have a great one that was done to to the tune of the Bodean's "Closer to Free".  I have not been able to find that anywhere online.
Have some patience, FFS.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2015, 05:29:51 PM »
Discover Wisconsin used to have a great one that was done to to the tune of the Bodean's "Closer to Free".  I have not been able to find that anywhere online.

Not the one but still a better ad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Njl7MPlqTU
SS Marquette

feedback